Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by mjrobson
Thanks for the info / clarifications!

Having the 1Br is always a plus to tuck the kids away at night, but as you noted, being on the gold floor is also very convenient. We're not huge AC people... we keep our house at 26C.

The 1br is ~250 per night more for our dates so i lean towards the Gold Jr Suite.
In that case, I'd choose the Gold Junior Lakeview Suite. There are pros and cons to both options, but if one is $250/night cheaper than the other, then that would probably be the deciding factor for me. Even though it doesn't include parking, a $250/night difference pays for a lot of parking!

The Gold floor includes some other things free, that may be of interest. You will have free use of the canoe rentals, and free use of the Moraine Lake shuttle bus (which needs to be reserved in advance).
mjrobson likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
In that case, I'd choose the Gold Junior Lakeview Suite. There are pros and cons to both options, but if one is $250/night cheaper than the other, then that would probably be the deciding factor for me. Even though it doesn't include parking, a $250/night difference pays for a lot of parking!

The Gold floor includes some other things free, that may be of interest. You will have free use of the canoe rentals, and free use of the Moraine Lake shuttle bus (which needs to be reserved in advance).
Have you ever stayed in or seen the Glacier suite? Can get a decent price on it.. doesn't seem to book up all that often. My wife loves the idea of a dinner / drinks / relaxing on the balcony after the kids go to sleep.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson
Have you ever stayed in or seen the Glacier suite? Can get a decent price on it.. doesn't seem to book up all that often. My wife loves the idea of a dinner / drinks / relaxing on the balcony after the kids go to sleep.
If you can get a great deal, then that might be nice. But, it's normally a lot more money than the Gold Lakeview Junior Suite. I would go for that. There are some minor inconveniences, but the addition of the balcony would more than make up for it.

I've never stayed in it, but I did ask to see it once upon a time. The big selling point of that suite is the balcony. There are really only two suites facing the lake with decent balconies (plus a semi-decent balcony open summer only down on the 3rd floor), and that's one of them. It's part of Fairmont Gold, so you have lounge access, but need to ride the elevator. The Glacier Suite is on the 8th floor, and then once inside the suite, there's a spiral staircase to get to the bedroom. The living room is downstairs.

I think it needs a renovation. I asked the staff on my last visit, if there are plans to renovate it, and they confirmed there are, although no date set. So, if you book that one, you need to be content with decor that looks like it's from the 1990s!

I'm also not a fan of 2-level suites. I like just having everything in a nice big space on the same level. My favourite suite at the hotel is the Marquis de Lorne, and it's normally priced the same as the Glacier Suite, however, it's missing that really nice balcony.

If you want to visually place the Glacier Suite, you can flip back to the post linked below:
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

In that post, I included a floor plan of the 8th floor. The Glacier Suite is #881. The living room is basically the same size as a standard non-gold Junior Suite (which are in rooms X81/X83 on all the floors below the 7th). The bedroom then sits above the living room (call it the '9th floor'?), along with the main bathroom, and the footprint of the bedroom is smaller than the living/dining room below, as the covered balcony area is taken from the same area footprint. The neighbouring Belvedere Suite (#883) is larger in area on the second floor bedroom/balcony (which includes wrap-around corner balcony), because it extends overtop of room #885 as well as #883, while the living room area down on the 8th floor is similar in size to the Glacier Suite.
DC9 likes this.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Jul 26, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
If you can get a great deal, then that might be nice. But, it's normally a lot more money than the Gold Lakeview Junior Suite. I would go for that. There are some minor inconveniences, but the addition of the balcony would more than make up for it.

I've never stayed in it, but I did ask to see it once upon a time. The big selling point of that suite is the balcony. There are really only two suites facing the lake with decent balconies (plus a semi-decent balcony open summer only down on the 3rd floor), and that's one of them. It's part of Fairmont Gold, so you have lounge access, but need to ride the elevator. The Glacier Suite is on the 8th floor, and then once inside the suite, there's a spiral staircase to get to the bedroom. The living room is downstairs.

I think it needs a renovation. I asked the staff on my last visit, if there are plans to renovate it, and they confirmed there are, although no date set. So, if you book that one, you need to be content with decor that looks like it's from the 1990s!

I'm also not a fan of 2-level suites. I like just having everything in a nice big space on the same level. My favourite suite at the hotel is the Marquis de Lorne, and it's normally priced the same as the Glacier Suite, however, it's missing that really nice balcony.

If you want to visually place the Glacier Suite, you can flip back to the post linked below:
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

In that post, I included a floor plan of the 8th floor. The Glacier Suite is #881. The living room is basically the same size as a standard non-gold Junior Suite (which are in rooms X81/X83 on all the floors below the 7th). The bedroom then sits above the living room (call it the '9th floor'?), along with the main bathroom, and the footprint of the bedroom is smaller than the living/dining room below, as the covered balcony area is taken from the same area footprint. The neighbouring Belvedere Suite (#883) is larger in area on the second floor bedroom/balcony (which includes wrap-around corner balcony), because it extends overtop of room #885 as well as #883, while the living room area down on the 8th floor is similar in size to the Glacier Suite.
Thanks, very helpful! I saw the floor plans, I assumed that's where it was. The Belvedere suite may be a little nicer with the 2 balconies... but its booked already. The MDL suite looks really nice, but our kids would sleep on the pullout in the main area which also has the dining table so we'd just be chilling in the bedroom after ~8-9pm which is why my wife was eyeing the balcony. Maybe when they're a little older or for a skiing trip.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Does anyone know how early I should make a reservation for any of the restaurants at the FCLL? I'm supposed to stay there in a monthish, and both the Fairview and the Walliser Stub seems to be fully booked on OpenTable on the days I'm there as well as any random date I've checked in the next two months...
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Does anyone know how early I should make a reservation for any of the restaurants at the FCLL? I'm supposed to stay there in a monthish, and both the Fairview and the Walliser Stub seems to be fully booked on OpenTable on the days I'm there as well as any random date I've checked in the next two months...
I believe the restaurants at CLL are currently only open to hotel guests, so I'd assume that the ability to book via external sites has been deactivated.

I'd be surprised if as a hotel guest you needed to make reservations more than a few days in advance.
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I believe the restaurants at CLL are currently only open to hotel guests, so I'd assume that the ability to book via external sites has been deactivated.

I'd be surprised if as a hotel guest you needed to make reservations more than a few days in advance.
I believe they keep dinner reservations for hotel guests only, so if you're staying at the hotel, then just send the concierge an e-mail and they'll book you in. Howev.er, outside of dinner hours, I believe they do accept a limited number of reservations for non-guests of the hotel, and hold back a number of tables for guests. That wouldn't apply to Walliser Stube, which only serves dinner, but a non-guest could book a lunch at the Fairview. Non-guests of the hotel can go on a waitlist for dinner, which the hotel can confirm on the day of the desired reservation.

If you're looking for a Friday or Saturday night in the summer, I would book way more than a few days in advance. Other nights of the week should be OK.
Jasper2009, SkyteamEP and DC9 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Great information, pictures and advice on this thread.

I'm a once frequent business traveler that is doing their first flight in nearly 2 years with a newborn. Will be traveling with wife and the in-laws (4 adults + 1 newborn). Interested in the CLL. Wife is demanding lounge access given all the trips I did with her around the world in Marriott's (she's used to Asia executive lounge type stuff)

Currently have a reservation at the CLL for Gold Lakeview 2Q but debating on Junior Suite 2Q with no view. Sucks all the "upgrade options" are pretty much King beds as we'll definitely need two beds. Also have a reservation at the Rimrock in a Grandview One Bedroom Suite 2 Queen Beds. Both reservations are pretty much the same price.

Few questions:
- When booking 4 adults, it doesn't even give me the option to book the Gold Lakeview 2Q, therefore I've booked for 2 adults for now. How sticky are they about this? I'm assuming I'll just pay the extra adult fees but kinda silly you can't stay with 4 adults in a room with 2 Queens. Really want the view obviously
- Best rates / codes? Currently using just a CAA rate
- Chances of an upgrade? I'm very much used to booking base rooms with Marriott and pretty much getting guaranteed upgrades. I don't have ALL status. I do have an Amex Platinum (which I read in a few other threads previously had promos to fast track ALL status? Is that still happening?)
- Currently debating on bringing my pup as well. Rimrock has already accommodated us in a "dog-friendly floor". I've read CLL limits you from the 6th floor? Do you get screwed with a dog?

I'm kinda leaning towards the Rimrock but everyone in the family is wanting "lounge life".
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: *G (as are spouse and 2 kids), ACCOR ALL DIAMOND, Marriott - GE
Originally Posted by ahbitheman
I'm kinda leaning towards the Rimrock but everyone in the family is wanting "lounge life".
Might have to fly like our kids and all of us (2 adults and 2 kids) have gold status ... our kids have had it since 2 years and 2-3 months old each (once we started paying for their own seats). They will never go back (check my signature ... still applies 10 years later). Travelling with friends up to 4 others is great as we can bring 4 people into the lounge. Not sure if your family travel a lot for personal like we do though that your child can get *A status? That is the price of the "lounge life", but we also maintain status for all members of the family for the added priority boarding status (ie winter jackets space - Zone 2); upgrades+ (our oldest has a 70% hit on upgrades pre-COVID and never sure why we are not upgraded as regularly as her) and an extra bag in some capacity regardless of fare. Our kids are now coming of age for school trips that our school does far away and if on the same PNR, their status permeates through the others on the PNR

In regard to CLL, might be easier just to talk/call to inhouse reservations, let alone Accor Global reservations and make your plea; any idea on status matching - you stated you did a lot of travel with Marriott - are you Marriott Titanuium (top tier) and maybe they can match to at least Accor Platinum or Diamond? I always find it easier to discuss in person and you would be surprised just how much you might additionally get! (old school debate and bargaining which newer generations have lost the art of ... or just talk to another human rather than a bot)

Last edited by patty canuck; Sep 3, 2021 at 9:07 am Reason: CORRECTION: PNR ISSUES NOT FOR LOUNGE ACCESS
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by patty canuck
Might have to fly like our kids and all of us (2 adults and 2 kids) have gold status ... our kids have had it since 2 years and 2-3 months old each (once we started paying for their own seats). They will never go back (check my signature ... still applies 10 years later). Travelling with friends up to 4 others is great as we can bring 4 people into the lounge. Not sure if your family travel a lot for personal like we do though that your child can get *A status? That is the price of the "lounge life", but we also maintain status for all members of the family for the added priority boarding status (ie winter jackets space - Zone 2); upgrades+ (our oldest has a 70% hit on upgrades pre-COVID and never sure why we are not upgraded as regularly as her) and an extra bag in some capacity regardless of fare. Our kids are now coming of age for school trips that our school does far away and if on the same PNR, their status permeates through the others on the PNR

In regard to CLL, might be easier just to talk/call to inhouse reservations, let alone Accor Global reservations and make your plea; any idea on status matching - you stated you did a lot of travel with Marriott - are you Marriott Titanuium (top tier) and maybe they can match to at least Accor Platinum or Diamond? I always find it easier to discuss in person and you would be surprised just how much you might additionally get! (old school debate and bargaining which newer generations have lost the art of ... or just talk to another human rather than a bot)
More good advice! Yes will need to get the newborn in the status game as well . I did book YYZ-YYC in flat-beds on the AC787-8 so her first flight will be in a bed! The in-laws rarely travel yet have seen all of our previous pre-covid trips with upgrades/access/etc. hence the problem. I'm hearing Accor doesn't match which sucks but may give them a ring. I'm a lifetime Marriott Platinum (missed the 750 nights for Titanium before they grandfathered that lifetime status). I've forgotten all about travel the last 2 years but it's exciting to start all the planning again
patty canuck likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: AC SE
Few questions:
- When booking 4 adults, it doesn't even give me the option to book the Gold Lakeview 2Q, therefore I've booked for 2 adults for now. How sticky are they about this? I'm assuming I'll just pay the extra adult fees but kinda silly you can't stay with 4 adults in a room with 2 Queens. Really want the view obviously
- Chances of an upgrade? I'm very much used to booking base rooms with Marriott and pretty much getting guaranteed upgrades. I don't have ALL status. I do have an Amex Platinum (which I read in a few other threads previously had promos to fast track ALL status? Is that still happening?)

On the occupancy, best to contact the hotel directly. The room info on the Fairmont website does show the "capacity" of the rooms, and most of the normal rooms like Gold Lakeview do have a capacity listed of 2 adults. Personally I think it would be quite cramped with 4 adults and an infant in a room like a Gold Lakeview room, as I don't even think there would be enough chairs in the room for everyone to sit down on a chair at the same time.

On the upgrade question, Accor is not anything like Marriott when it comes to upgrades. As a Marriott Titanium, I routinely book the base room and often end up with a larger suite, etc via upgrades. Accor is nothing like that. Even at Gold/Platinum, the upgrade benefit is a one-category upgrade subject to availability, and the CLL makes specific note that this doesn't apply within the Fairmont Gold floor (e.g. don't expect an upgrade to Fairmont Gold, or to a higher category within Fairmont Gold). It can happen, but it's not routine. Without status, free upgrades would be rare at the CLL. They do sometimes offer "standby" paid upgrades after booking, so that may be your best bet for upgrade options. The CLL seems to have been quite busy this year with the quick rebound in travel especially to mountain locations, so upper room categories seem to be often sold out. But I'd make sure you book a room you're comfortable with and don't expect an upgrade.

I've stayed multiple times at both the Rimrock and CLL and both are fantastic properties, so I think you'll be happy either way.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Few questions:
- Currently debating on bringing my pup as well. Rimrock has already accommodated us in a "dog-friendly floor". I've read CLL limits you from the 6th floor? Do you get screwed with a dog?

The Fairmont Lake Louise is the hotel I've probably booked most often this year, so here are a few thoughts:

1) The Fairmont Gold Lakeview rooms with two Queen beds can accommodate four adults, but it would be rather tight.

2) The Fairmont Gold Lakeview rooms with two Queen beds are ~375sq.ft and are almost as large as the non-Gold Lakeview Junior Suites, so booking the latter would make little sense IMO.

3) Depending on the length of your stay and the room/suite category, the best rate tends to be:
a) the "Get Real" promotional rate
b) a consortia / preferred partner rate such as Amex FHR, Travel Leaders Select etc.
...that includes various added perks such as comp. breakfast etc.

4) The hotel has been very busy, and I wouldn't expect much in terms of upgrades

5) The pet policy can be found here:
https://www.chateau-lake-louise.com/...ns/pet-policy/

6) As a possible alternative, I would suggest a (non-Gold, non-lakeview) two-bedroom suite which is only slightly more expensive, but would offer a much more pleasant stay experience / enough space for everyone. Additionally, suite bookings at CLL include comp. breakfast + free parking, so the value proposition is pretty good.
MSPeconomist and gcashin like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:19 pm

Great information, pictures and advice on this thread.

I'm a once frequent business traveler that is doing their first flight in nearly 2 years with a newborn. Will be traveling with wife and the in-laws (4 adults + 1 newborn). Interested in the CLL. Wife is demanding lounge access given all the trips I did with her around the world in Marriott's (she's used to Asia executive lounge type stuff)

Currently have a reservation at the CLL for Gold Lakeview 2Q but debating on Junior Suite 2Q with no view. Sucks all the "upgrade options" are pretty much King beds as we'll definitely need two beds. Also have a reservation at the Rimrock in a Grandview One Bedroom Suite 2 Queen Beds. Both reservations are pretty much the same price.

Few questions:

I just did some dummy bookings for 4 adults, and Gold Lakeview 2xQ does come up in the search results. Are you sure they're not just sold out of that room type for your dates?

As for booking for 2 adults and putting 4 in the room, my experience is that it's no problem. I think on all of my recent bookings there, it's always been for just 2 people on the reservation, even though we have had more than that. Nobody ever questioned it. I think they even expected more, since we booked the Gold Two Bedroom Lakeview Suite a couple of times, and who would ever book that if you only had 2 people staying? It was no problem when additional guests stayed with us.

I kind of like @Jasper2009's suggestion. If you can get a 2 Bedroom Suite (no view and no lounge and no recent renovation are the downsides) for a similar price as your Gold Lakeview Room, I would probably do that. Free breakfast in the main restaurant may not be quite as convenient as the lounge, but the much larger suite could make up for that. There is no one right answer. If you ask 5 people what they would do in your situation, you might get 5 different answers! What do you value more? Lounge? Space? View?

But don't expect much of an upgrade on arrival. The Rockies have been packed through July and August, and if the hotel is close to full, there just might not be much available.

And be sure you have a rental car booked. I had friends who recently travelled to LL, and they didn't think about booking a rental car until the last minute. Big mistake, No rentals were available anywhere in Calgary. Luckily, they had some relatives living in Calgary, and they were able to borrow a vehicle. Most years in the Rockies, you need to book your hotels in advance first, then your flights and cars. This year, flights are easy, hotels are tight, and for some dates, rental cars are almost impossible.
Jasper2009 and gcashin like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:50 pm

All great advice. I've got the car locked as I'm using Turo. Getting a van given we might be golfing / bringing clubs.

I've seen multiple pieces of advice advising on a 1BR suite but I don't see any 2 bed options in them. The 2 BRs are all $2-$3k/night and much higher than gold lounge rooms.

Maybe I'll just tell the in-laws to sit in the lounge all the time since they want it so much 😂
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:53 pm

All great advice. I've got the car locked as I'm using Turo. Getting a van given we might be golfing / bringing clubs.

I've seen multiple pieces of advice advising on a 1BR suite but I don't see any 2 bed options in them. The 2 BRs are all $2-$3k/night and much higher than gold lounge rooms.

Maybe I'll just tell the in-laws to sit in the lounge all the time since they want it so much 😂
The 2 bedroom suites are all well below $2k/night, even during high season. If you're seeing $2k to $3k, then I suspect you're looking at the 2 Bedroom Lakeview Suites, and perhaps the non-lakeview versions are all sold out for your dates. A 2 bedroom suite is usually about the same price as a Gold Lakeview Junior Suite, and maybe ~50% more than a Gold Lakeview Room. But, that 50% increase in cost gets you about 300% more space. However, if there is no availability for your dates, then I guess that's moot.

The Gold lounge is a convenient place to grab some food and a drink, and the dedicated concierge service is great. But, at Lake Louise, it's not really a place where you will likely hang out very much. People go to LL for the views, and to be outside. The Gold Lounge has no view to the lake, so I wouldn't hang out there much. They save the lake views for the guest rooms. If it's about just having a nice quiet lounge to sit and read or have a coffee in, then there is always the Living Room above the main lobby. It's open to all hotel guests, and only hotel guests, but rarely has more than a couple of people in it, and it's a nice large and comfortable space.

In your situation, I would perhaps forgo the need to be on the Gold floor, and get something larger on another floor, with or without a lake view. Maybe even a 1 Bedroom suite would work. 2 adults in one room on the pull out bed, 2 adults in the main bedroom, and get a rollaway bed for the newborn to slide next to the parents bed. The 1 bedroom suite (non-lakeview) will be about the same price as a Gold Lakeview Room, and with a lake view, maybe 50% more. Both versions will get you daily breakfast for all in the main restaurant, plus free parking. You'll have 700 square feet, which will be much roomier than a Gold Room. It won't be recently renovated, however. Then the only question is whether the lake view is worth the extra money. Tell the in-laws to relax in the Living Room above the lobby if they want a lounge.

Here are some photos of the Living Room. If that will satisfy the need for a lounge, that could save you some money to put toward a larger room/suite. It's open all hours.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Sep 3, 2021 at 7:03 pm Reason: Add photos of "Living Room"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.