Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I just checked online and looks like you can book 2 years out with this property. One problem booking that far out is that your FPC certificates are not valid for that time frame. And if the suite is not available when the certs hit your account, they are almost useless. I was planning to redeem my suite upgrade cert but I won't have a chance. So it looks like at this property one should plan on staying in the room type that was booked. Upgrades and certificates look difficult to use.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I just checked online and looks like you can book 2 years out with this property. One problem booking that far out is that your FPC certificates are not valid for that time frame. And if the suite is not available when the certs hit your account, they are almost useless. I was planning to redeem my suite upgrade cert but I won't have a chance. So it looks like at this property one should plan on staying in the room type that was booked. Upgrades and certificates look difficult to use.
Not entirely. You might have difficulty if you tried to book the reservation through central res line, however, if you call the hotel directly you might have better luck. I've been able to get them to make the booking and apply an upgrade certificate that has yet to be earned in my profile, on the condition that if the certificate is not available at the time of check-in, the full rate of the upgraded room would be charged to my credit card.

In fact, I find the CLL one of the best properties for using certificates, because they've been willing to make deals in applying certificates against higher category rooms they're not supposed to be officially used for, including Gold suites. E.g. pay for a Gold room and get a Gold suite. It's a good deal for all concerned. I get the upgraded room I want, and they get to sell an even more expensive room than if I had just booked the regular room according to the certificate rules.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Not entirely. You might have difficulty if you tried to book the reservation through central res line, however, if you call the hotel directly you might have better luck. I've been able to get them to make the booking and apply an upgrade certificate that has yet to be earned in my profile, on the condition that if the certificate is not available at the time of check-in, the full rate of the upgraded room would be charged to my credit card.

In fact, I find the CLL one of the best properties for using certificates, because they've been willing to make deals in applying certificates against higher category rooms they're not supposed to be officially used for, including Gold suites. E.g. pay for a Gold room and get a Gold suite. It's a good deal for all concerned. I get the upgraded room I want, and they get to sell an even more expensive room than if I had just booked the regular room according to the certificate rules.
interesting. Will keep in mind for future trips. Now I hope some peopel cancel their rooms prior to the 3 day deadline for this july trip and I can snag a suite upgrade.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:29 pm

I'm planning a long overnight here on a Monday in September or October 2017. Prices in September look like 3-4 times more than in October. Will these be likely to be similar as it gets closer, or is there really that much of a difference between these two months? I would assume both were shoulder/low season-ish?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by joetro
I'm planning a long overnight here on a Monday in September or October 2017. Prices in September look like 3-4 times more than in October. Will these be likely to be similar as it gets closer, or is there really that much of a difference between these two months? I would assume both were shoulder/low season-ish?
3-4x seems quite extreme, however:

- September is absolute peak season and rates during peak season are higher than ever before at the various Cdn Rockies properties
- the first 1-2 weeks of October are shoulder season
- things very much quiet down after Cdn Thanksgiving and late Oct. / early Nov. could be considered low season
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:17 am

What is it you are planning on doing during your visit? Canadian Thanksgiving is sort of when many things start closing up in the Rockies, before ramping up for the winter season in December. Over recent years, I've stayed here in Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Feb and Mar. Early November is not very popular.

By late October or early November, it won't be very busy. It will be cold, hiking season in the Rockies will be finished, as the trails will all be snowy and icy, but there won't yet be enough snow for proper winter activities. If your plan is to just chill out and enjoy the scenery, and relax at the hotel, then you'll be fine, and enjoy the cost savings.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:53 am

Yes, just chill out and enjoy the scenery. Maybe a bit of hiking but just a lot of looking at the lake and being outside in it. I'll also be going to Halifax and Toronto. So, it looks like I really should aim for early October rather than September? (My one quibble is October is one of a few nice weeks in Dallas, so I'd hate to miss a week of good Dallas weather - but Canada will be even better)!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:49 am

Yes, just chill out and enjoy the scenery. Maybe a bit of hiking but just a lot of looking at the lake and being outside in it. I'll also be going to Halifax and Toronto. So, it looks like I really should aim for early October rather than September? (My one quibble is October is one of a few nice weeks in Dallas, so I'd hate to miss a week of good Dallas weather - but Canada will be even better)!
Just take note that the average daily high temperate at Lake Louise in November is below freezing, with overnight lows around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. It will be winter there!

October can still be nice, but you will still want gloves and a toque.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:00 pm

Ok so early October it is!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
It has already snowed in LL this year. You can have +20C or -20C in October. But that is part of the charm!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You can have +20C or -20C in October. But that is part of the charm!
Or both within one day.

Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but I've seen the temperature fall from +18°C to -8°C within 24h.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
It has already snowed in LL this year. You can have +20C or -20C in October. But that is part of the charm!
Just for those folks who may not believe you... I just lifted these photos from the Lake Louise ski resort live webcams. Winter comes earlier in the mountains! It's still a few months away, but I'm already excited about my next ski trip there.

The patio at the Whitehorn Bistro had a ton of people eating there yesterday in the sun, and today...

Snow line is almost down to the base of the ski resort, which is more than 300 feet lower than Lake Louise itself...

Last edited by CanadaDH; Sep 20, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Just for those folks who may not believe you... I just lifted these photos from the Lake Louise ski resort live webcams. Winter comes earlier in the mountains! It's still a few months away, but I'm already excited about my next ski trip there.
How are the driving conditions (we are arriving next week, and now worried about driving in snow?)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by nomii
How are the driving conditions (we are arriving next week, and now worried about driving in snow?)
The temp this Monday in LL is 16C/61F so you will be fine.

Snow usually melts when it hits the asphalt during the first few snowfalls.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Roads will be perfectly fine. This snow won't stick down low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.