Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
It used to be with a suite upgrade, you can upgrade to a junior suite mountain view, one bedroom suite mountain view and junior suite lake view. When has this policy changed?
About 2 years ago I had no problems upgrading from a Fairmont room to a Lakeview Junior Suite.

Afaik the policy changed with the introduction of the Mountain View room/suite categories when upgrades to a Lakeview Junior Suite required booking a Lake View room (when booking a lower room category one only received the Jr. Mountain View Suite).

I checked mid-2013 and the policy was still in place, itīs possible itīs not consistently enforced or may depend on the season / occupancy, but due to this nonsense I ended up cancelling my stay. Iīd be happy to hear if the hotel had changed their policies again.

At least, this hotel accepts suite upgrades on the gold floor.
Interesting - wasnīt aware of that. So what type of suite does one get when booking a Fairmont Gold room? The Gold floor at LL certainly is among the nicest Iīve seen.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm not sure what the current policy is, but we upgraded to some sort of Lakeview Suite (don't know if it was a Junior or a Senior) in October 2012.
Junior lakeview suite is a rectangular open concept room. A Lakeview Suite has a door between the bedroom and defined living room, generally the suite is located where it 'bows' out of the main building.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:10 am

Deleted.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Jan 30, 2014 at 10:39 am
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
At least, this hotel accepts suite upgrades on the gold floor.
I called last night to make a reservation for later this summer at CLL and asked if upgrade certs can be used for the gold floor. I was told this property does not do this. I probed a bit further, and the agent said that when the economy was softer a few years back, there was a 7-month period where the CLL opened up the ability to use FPC upgrade certificates to book a gold room, in order to encourage people to use the product. So, it seems that while this was possible in the past, the option no longer exists.

Now I'm torn about what to do. I've heard so many great things about this gold floor. However, I get pretty good value using a suite upgrade and free night here, I'll be able to get 4 nights in a Lakeview suite for much less than the price of a room on the gold floor. It also helps that for 2 years in a row, they have never redeemed the upgrade from my FPC profile, allowing me to reuse it (not that I'm counting on that).

I think I'm leaning towards skipping the gold floor again. The price difference will pay for a nice dinner every night in the Fairview dining room, and I still get a really nice suite (just not gold). Decisions, decisions... First world problems I guess.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Feb 3, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I called last night to make a reservation for later this summer at CLL and asked if upgrade certs can be used for the gold floor. I was told this property does not do this. I probed a bit further, and the agent said that when the economy was softer a few years back, there was a 7-month period where the CLL opened up the ability to use FPC upgrade certificates to book a gold room, in order to encourage people to use the product. So, it seems that while this was possible in the past, the option no longer exists.

Now I'm torn about what to do. I've heard so many great things about this gold floor. However, I get pretty good value using a suite upgrade and free night here, I'll be able to get 4 nights in a Lakeview suite for much less than the price of a room on the gold floor. It also helps that for 2 years in a row, they have never redeemed the upgrade from my FPC profile, allowing me to reuse it (not that I'm counting on that).

I think I'm leaning towards skipping the gold floor again. The price difference will pay for a nice dinner every night in the Fairview dining room, and I still get a really nice suite (just not gold). Decisions, decisions... First world problems I guess.
Did you call central reservations or in-house reservations?

If you aren't used to the Gold Floor, there is definitely nothing wrong with a lakeview suite. I would go lakeview suite, no problem in a heart beat.

You're correct that there are other dining options which mixes up the experience. I think the value is there going with either the gold lounge or other dining options.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Just checked into CLL. Room keys ready when vehicle stopped to unload luggage. $30 for self parking, and $35 for valet parking. We chose valet. Valet is covered parking. Both parking options are at the parking structure.

We're staying in the Fairmont Gold One Bedroom Lake View Suite. Hor D'hourve hour when we arrived so into the offerings immediately. I prefer the selection of CLL's Gold Floor than that of BSH's. Both are good.. but CLL edges out in two areas. One is the juice selection, bottles of Minute Maid Cranberry, Apple and Orange, whereas BSH is Fairlee, although I have to admit that BSH offers pink lemonade and CLL doesn't. But there was large dispenser of Shirley Temple, and Cucumber water that wasn't offered last year, but now in the CLL Gold Lounge. Two, CLL serves cold plate veggies. I had like 3 or 4 small plates with hummus. Excellent.

Dessert was too quick. Once CLL Gold Floor Desserts run out, the staff doesn't replace with anymore. At BSH, the desserts were available for the entire time prescribed. CLL, at least the desserts are served immediately after Hor D'hourves. That made it quite convenient.

My wife picked up a family activities schedule. Lots of stuff to do for families which is great. I can't remember if this was offered last year.

Complimentary Family Activities include: Story Time/Playroom Time, Movie Night Daily, Skating (seasonal)

A myriad of supervised kids activities for a charge ranging from $20 to $35: Photo expedition, Campfire and Games, Art in the Mountains, Pajama Party, Cookie Baking and Decorating, Craft Time, Make your Cake, Frosted Fun, and Pizza Party.

Mountain Guide Activities $59 per adult and $29 per child 8-12: Johnston Canyon Icefalls, Cross Country Ski Lessons, Powderfest Snowshoeing, Cross Country Ski Tour, Lake Louise After Dark by Snow Shoe.

The Gold Floor is famous for games offering. Free DVD machine and selection of movies. A bit of a hassle to connect the DVD player. Have to disconnect the Cat5, change the menu screen, and turn on the machine. Had a couple staffers inside the room prior to getting the DVD player up and running, but its running.

A Big Plus of CLL's Gold Floor compared to BSH is the offering of iPads.. BSH no longer has iPads as the staff indicated iPads were stolen and never returned. BSH never did end up replacing the stolen iPads which is understandable. Which surprised me even more that CLL has multiple iPads available for use. Both sons were on a gold floor iPad for a couple of hours tonight. It was certainly a treat. This is attention to detail that surprised me, as iPads often dissappear. Our family really appreciates CLL Gold Floor providing what could be a very high cost service for its' customers.. potentially replacing expensive computer periphery from time to time.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 14, 2014 at 11:34 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 pm

Did you call central reservations or in-house reservations?

If you aren't used to the Gold Floor, there is definitely nothing wrong with a lakeview suite. I would go lakeview suite, no problem in a heart beat.

You're correct that there are other dining options which mixes up the experience. I think the value is there going with either the gold lounge or other dining options.
I called the CLL again today to see if I could upgrade into the gold floor. Initially, I was told it wasn't possible, but after being put on hold a few times to check with a manager, they were a bit more flexible. Basically, they were willing to allow me to pay for a variety of higher room options than just the Fairmont rooms to upgrade into a relatively better suite. The options were to pay for a Deluxe Lakeview to confirm a 1-Bedroom Lakeview Suite (which I've been in before and enjoyed very much), or book the Gold Lakeview Room and confirm into a Gold Jr. Lakeview Suite. Since I've never been on the CLL gold floor, I decided to go for the Gold Jr. Lakeview Suite for 4 nights.

What was interesting is that my reservation confirmation still books into the original Lakeview Room rate, with an additional note showing "+$140 additional upgrade fee per night and Suite Upgrade Voucher", to make it come out to the rate of the Gold Room. Perhaps that's how they make the system upgrade into a gold room when it's not really supposed to happen?

At the end of the day, I'm happy I'm returning to my favourite Fairmont (4th visit in the last 3 years), finally getting to try their gold floor, and using a suite upgrade cert to do it.

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and get an additional e-standby upgrade approved. Offered at only $180 more per night for the Signature Gold 1-Bedroom Lakeview Suite. I'm not holding my breath on that one being available, since it's still summer season when I'll be there, but you never know.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Gold floor at CLL is fantastic - Iīm sure youīll enjoy it! Iīm honestly not a huge fan of the non-Gold rooms at the CLL, but the Gold rooms/suites are a completely different experience.

I stayed in a Gold Jr. Lakeview Suite a few years ago and it was pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
What was interesting is that my reservation confirmation still books into the original Lakeview Room rate, with an additional note showing "+$140 additional upgrade fee per night and Suite Upgrade Voucher", to make it come out to the rate of the Gold Room. Perhaps that's how they make the system upgrade into a gold room when it's not really supposed to happen?
The hotel can upgrade you to whatever they want, Iīm pretty sure thereīs no IT limitation. Iīd assume the note was included so the front desk doesnīt forget to charge you the upgrade fee (and possibly to confirm the arrangement at check-in).
Old May 4, 2014, 1:15 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Posting this from the CLL right now

Booked a Fairmont room, and was given a complimentary upgrade to a junior (non lakeview) suite, although there's nothing to see but about 3 feet of snow.

Very good way to entice repeat business ^
Old May 4, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I'm confused with all these prices I'm looking at a four night stay here or at the Banff springs from June 24 and I'm getting $529CAD per night for the basic room ? Is there a rock concert on that night or what ?
Old May 4, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I'm confused with all these prices I'm looking at a four night stay here or at the Banff springs from June 24 and I'm getting $529CAD per night for the basic room ? Is there a rock concert on that night or what ?
Prices in the $450-$550 range for a Fairmont room are not uncommon at the Banff Springs and Lake Louise during peak season. You can usually find an advance purchase rate or a 4th night free promo or similar, however those figures arenīt uncommon if youīre talking about the "best available rate".
Old May 4, 2014, 5:58 am

Is July middle of peak season? I thought winter would be the time go .Even with seniors 55+ its still that much . I cant see a option for Advance purchase. I wish CC was open i could request a trade for some spg points ;P

Is it worth the extra $100 per night for the gold room??

Last edited by Shanye2233; May 4, 2014 at 6:05 am
Old May 4, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is July middle of peak season? I thought winter would be the time go .Even with seniors 55+ its still that much . I cant see a option for Advance purchase. I wish CC was open i could request a trade for some spg points ;P

Yes, July/August are absolute peak season. Winter is also peak season, but IME rates are even higher higher.

Regarding rates: If you have an AMEX CC, have a look at this promo.

If you can get a Gold room for "only" $100 more, itīs definitely worth it IMO, especially at Lake Louise where the Gold rooms are substantially nicer than the regular Fairmont rooms.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:49 am

While winter is a popular time for skiing, the busiest months of the year for tourism in the Canadian Rockies are July and August, followed by September and June. Prices at CLL and BSH are likely to reflect that.

The other thing you have working against you, is that you're looking to book for June and it's already May. You may even find the hotel is already sold out for some of the nights you plan to stay, or prices higher due to the fewer rooms remaining. I would expect the base rate for the Fairmont room to be about $550, before discounts. The seniors rate (60+) rate will be about 30% off, as will the CAA/AAA rate. Next best rate will be the summer offer with 4th night free. The advance purchase option at CLL is basically 25% off, but you'd be better off (unless you're over 60 and qualify for the seniors rate) just doing the 4th night free summer offer, which works out to the same 25%, but gets you double airline miles and only requires one night prepayment.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:15 am

Thanks guys I'm staying at the Banff springs one. I noticed the price difference between $318CAD and $414CAD from a standard to a gold room . This is with the extent your stay promo and also seniors discount applied. It's for my mother and she is over 60 so shouldn't be a problem .

Maybe il just go with the cheapest options and they can Hunt for food off campus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.