Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still can't find any reliable advice on parking nearby - seems like plenty of parking options on google maps but rates, in/out privileges etc are not very clear.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by azepine00
Still can't find any reliable advice on parking nearby - seems like plenty of parking options on google maps but rates, in/out privileges etc are not very clear.
It seems to be the most expensive part of Vancouver for parking, except perhaps the airport. The meters just outside the hotel charge $6/hour, which is ridiculous. I can think of one or two parking garages within a block or two but I would be very surprised if they offer in/out privileges. They mainly cater to folks who work in the financial district who would typically park all day, not come and go. If you're willing to walk a long ways, you could check out one of the surface lots by the float plane terminal at the waterfront (roughly midway between the Fairmont Pacific Rim and the Westin Bayshore). They likely offer a pay-and-display rate which you could probably use on an in/out basis, but I don't know for certain, and the daily rate may not be much less than the valet rate.

Good luck.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:56 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

If you have an amazing luxury car (Bentley, Ferrari, high end AMG, something unique) The Valet is generally free+tip. They want your cars on the entry drive.

If you have a minivan/ford taurus/chrysler 300

you can park 10pm-8am for free on the street 10 ft to the door. 8am-10pm are metered, but you can move the car during that time or pay an hour or 2 as needed.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Questions re upcoming stay

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I stayed in the SkyDeck Suite a few years ago. The suite itself is very similar to the standard one-bedroom suites (e.g. Junior Suite, Harbour View Suite etc.), however it has a massive patio (I´d guess 400sq.ft.+) with a table for four, two loungers and a few plants. It´s located on the 9th floor IIRC and has views of the convention center roof and the city center, but unfortunately not of the harbour/mountains, but still a very nice place to relax.
Originally Posted by azepine00
Thanks - since the view from other standard upgrade inventory suites is rather limited as well (based on recent reports and my experience) this one is probably a better option if the weather cooperates.
Originally Posted by manico
The junior suite is not a bad option though. Stayed in one (which is directly beneath the skysuite you referenced) and while you face the convention centre, you can see coal harbour from the nice sized patio. This isn't a true suite however, in that the bedroom is not closed off from the "dining" area (hence the junior).
First, thanks for the great info I've already garnered from this thread in planning my wife's and my four-day stay at the hotel in a couple of weeks. Thanks especially for the useful replies to my previous queries from J2009 and the Maestro.

A few more questions, partly in view of the above posts:

1. Not that I'd want to look a gift horse in the mouth, given that our upcoming stay and upgrade to a junior suite (with jetted tub, if that makes any difference) is complimentary due to our Fairmont Visa cards...But I'm wondering whether we could get a room (albeit smaller) on a much higher floor with a better view if we instead used our room upgrade certificates. And might such a room also have a balcony and/or jetted tub? Again, the junior suite sounds nice, but we do like great views when we can get them, even if it means a smaller room. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding this? (FWIW, the way our work and other vacation travel plans are shaping up, we might not get to use the suite upgrade certificates elsewhere before they expire, but that's not a crucial consideration for us.)
2. Anyone eaten at Oru? And especially given the other great dining options in Vancouver, would you recommend it for the food and view? (I'm a bit unclear on how good the view is...any comments?) We might apply our dining certificates toward part of that bill, though certainly could use them in other ways if we don't dine there.
3. On a more mundane note, any idea of how much a taxi from the airport to the hotel would be?
4. When last in Vancouver on a long layover for an international business trip, I took the train from the airport into town and liked it, so would not be averse to doing that again since we travel light. But unless we're up for the walk, is it pretty easy to get a taxi from the station to the hotel from the nearest station once we're in town? (We'd be getting into town at about 9 p.m. on a weekday.)
5. On yet another mundane note, I'm a bit unclear on how the $25 breakfast/dining certificates work. If, for example, we use four such certificates toward an $80 meal, do we get to apply the extra $20 toward another meal?

Of course, any other insights or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
A few more questions, partly in view of the above posts:

1. Not that I'd want to look a gift horse in the mouth, given that our upcoming stay and upgrade to a junior suite (with jetted tub, if that makes any difference) is complimentary due to our Fairmont Visa cards...But I'm wondering whether we could get a room (albeit smaller) on a much higher floor with a better view if we instead used our room upgrade certificates. And might such a room also have a balcony and/or jetted tub? Again, the junior suite sounds nice, but we do like great views when we can get them, even if it means a smaller room. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding this? (FWIW, the way our work and other vacation travel plans are shaping up, we might not get to use the suite upgrade certificates elsewhere before they expire, but that's not a crucial consideration for us.)
2. Anyone eaten at Oru? And especially given the other great dining options in Vancouver, would you recommend it for the food and view? (I'm a bit unclear on how good the view is...any comments?) We might apply our dining certificates toward part of that bill, though certainly could use them in other ways if we don't dine there.
3. On a more mundane note, any idea of how much a taxi from the airport to the hotel would be?
4. When last in Vancouver on a long layover for an international business trip, I took the train from the airport into town and liked it, so would not be averse to doing that again since we travel light. But unless we're up for the walk, is it pretty easy to get a taxi from the station to the hotel from the nearest station once we're in town? (We'd be getting into town at about 9 p.m. on a weekday.)
5. On yet another mundane note, I'm a bit unclear on how the $25 breakfast/dining certificates work. If, for example, we use four such certificates toward an $80 meal, do we get to apply the extra $20 toward another meal?

Of course, any other insights or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for any advice!
1) A room upgrade cert upgrades you to the next room category, so it´s doubtful that you´d get a Harbour View room on a high floor when upgrading from a Fairmont room. You could contact the hotel and ask whether they´d be willing to upgrade you to a room category of your choice using a suite upgrade cert (as the junior suite would be more expensive). I know several people who have been successful doing this at various properties, but of course the hotel has no obligation to do so.

Only a limited number of Signature rooms have a patio (leaving aside the Poolview rooms), so I wouldn´t count on getting one of those. There are a few rooms with jetted tubs, but it would probably be the easiest to negotiate / ask for a room with a particular view.

2) I´ve eaten at Oru a few times. Service is great, views aran´t that exciting from the 2nd floor IMO. The food definitely is unique, but far from my favourite food (they do a great job, but it´s just not my taste). Have a look at a menu online to get a rough idea of what to expect. Not sure whether it´s still offered, but they used to offer a pre-fixe lunch option with appetizer, main and dessert for $25-$30 which was a good deal IMO.

3) I´ve always paid something in the $32-$36 range.

5) No, any unused portion will go to waste. You´d be better off redeeming just three $25 certs.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree on all counts.
Don't forget to try gelato place in the same building.

BTW to follow up on my parking question - I parked one block away for $7 on weekends (if overnight it is 7+7) and then rented and returned at national cruise ship terminal - they allow after hours returns.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:40 am

First, thanks for the great info I've already garnered from this thread in planning my wife's and my four-day stay at the hotel in a couple of weeks. Thanks especially for the useful replies to my previous queries from J2009 and the Maestro.

I have eaten at Oru 6 or 7 times for all meals. It is good but not great. Service is wonderful, food tastes great, ambiance is nice. But there is no WOW factor (except the origami ceiling and the bill)

I take the train for everything in Vancouver. If there was a race even during non traffic periods, Car vs Skytrain, Skytrain gets downtown faster. Taking a Taxi to Pacific Rim is $50. If you don't have massive amounts of luggage, take the Skytrain to Waterfront 22 min ride. and have the Pacific Rim Car (Complimentary + $5 tip) pick you up.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for all of the great advice, folks! I can already taste the gelato.

One more question...

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
If you don't have massive amounts of luggage, take the Skytrain to Waterfront 22 min ride. and have the Pacific Rim Car (Complimentary + $5 tip) pick you up.
Should we call the hotel as we're getting on the train or once we arrive at Waterfront or at some other point?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:45 pm

Thanks for all of the great advice, folks! I can already taste the gelato.

One more question...

Should we call the hotel as we're getting on the train or once we arrive at Waterfront or at some other point?
Call when you are exiting the airport going to the train, inform them you will be at Waterfont Station in 30 minutes.

If the car is free they will make arrangements.

If the car can not get you at the station, you can take a taxi from Waterfront to Pacific Rim, for $3.50
Worst case it is 3 blocks walking (500meters 6min)
http://goo.gl/maps/uGsPb
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More great info. Thanks again!

I didn't realize the hotel was quite so close. Still, it would be fun to surprise my wife with a nice hotel car pick-up if it's available.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I take the train for everything in Vancouver. If there was a race even during non traffic periods, Car vs Skytrain, Skytrain gets downtown faster. Taking a Taxi to Pacific Rim is $50.
Are you sure about that? I´ve done the trip probably a dozen times and I´m sure I´ve always paid something around $30-$35, definitely not more than $40. IIRC even the limousine service booked by the hotel (early morning flight) was no more than $45.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:56 pm

Are you sure about that? I´ve done the trip probably a dozen times and I´m sure I´ve always paid something around $30-$35, definitely not more than $40. IIRC even the limousine service booked by the hotel (early morning flight) was no more than $45.
I know this is getting way off topic, but:

I take a taxi at 2am when the skytrain is turned off and there are no cars on the road. I live in the DT. My fare has never been lower that $40 and I feel obligated to leave a tip.

The skytrain is actually faster than a car, (Vancouver has no highways, so lots of redlights and traffic) and the skytrain is $2.10-3.25 per passenger. $6.50 or $40+ (If I don't have large bags I skytrain)
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know this is getting way off topic, but:

I take a taxi at 2am when the skytrain is turned off and there are no cars on the road. I live in the DT. My fare has never been lower that $40 and I feel obligated to leave a tip.
The fares I was quoting indeed were before tip - and yes, I agree, I usually give a 10-15% tip. I´m wondering whether there may be a late night/early morning surcharge? (as I don´t think I ever took a taxi between 11p.m. and 5a.m.)
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think taxi was 35 for me to yvr.
As for hotel car - I don't know if it's worth the hassle for a few blocks. Last year we called for pickup from westin bayshore area and it took them 20 min - the walk from waterfront station is probably 10...

Last edited by azepine00; Jun 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2) I´ve eaten at Oru a few times. Service is great, views aran´t that exciting from the 2nd floor IMO. The food definitely is unique, but far from my favourite food (they do a great job, but it´s just not my taste). Have a look at a menu online to get a rough idea of what to expect. Not sure whether it´s still offered, but they used to offer a pre-fixe lunch option with appetizer, main and dessert for $25-$30 which was a good deal IMO.

3) I´ve always paid something in the $32-$36 range.
Just as another data point regarding taxis from the airport: I paid $33 excl. tip for a taxi earlier this week.

Regarding ORU: It seems the menu was completely revamped since I had lunch there last time (maybe a 1+ year ago) and now offers a slightly more traditional menu (with a slight twist to the options) vs. the very creative food they initially offered there.

E.g. I had a tuna burger (menu says "panko crusted albacore steak, wasabi-horseradish aioli, sesame spinach, golden beet relish, golden tobiko"), and while still somewhat "outside the box" I at least am familiar with most ingredients.

I would still stand by my statement that service is excellent, food is good, but not my favourite - but that´s just my personal opinion. If the items on the menu appeal to you, then definitely give it a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.