Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kraftdinner_
How could one check to see if they're wiling to confirm a standard suite at booking using an upgrade certificate?
Call and ask?

Originally Posted by kraftdinner_
I called the FPC Platinum line who goes by the book and says they can only do junior suites, and then I called the hotel directly, but the hotel reservation agent called the FPC line as soon as I mentioned using an upgrade, and again they gave the same answer.
Call again. I negotiated a full suite with the Pacific Rim a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:09 pm

I think there must have been a name change to some of the suites mentioned here, because they are not tracking what is currently on the web site. Does anyone know anything about what are currently being called the "Coal Harbor Corner Suites"? They purport to have a view of the harbor and the park, but are on floors 7 to 11. I would think the lower couple of floors would get little more than a view of the green roof of the convention center if I'm understanding prior discussions here. They supposedly have square balconies. If we splurge, it would be to see the water, so if this is going to be iffy, I think I'd probably skip it. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lkar
I think there must have been a name change to some of the suites mentioned here, because they are not tracking what is currently on the web site. Does anyone know anything about what are currently being called the "Coal Harbor Corner Suites"? They purport to have a view of the harbor and the park, but are on floors 7 to 11. I would think the lower couple of floors would get little more than a view of the green roof of the convention center if I'm understanding prior discussions here. They supposedly have square balconies. If we splurge, it would be to see the water, so if this is going to be iffy, I think I'd probably skip it. Thanks in advance.
I believe I've stayed in one of those before and you're correct that you'd mainly see the green roof of the convention center. You would see parts of the harbour to the right and a glimpse of Stanley Park, but obviously not the unobstructed view you'll get from higher floors. That being said, I still quite liked the suites since I very much enjoyx sitting outside.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:47 am

Thanks Jasper. Have you stayed in a pool suite? How does it compare? It is about the same price as the coal harbor suite.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:19 am

You will still get a fairly good water view from the 7th floor but it will be to the left of the convention center. If you end up on the 11th floor that view will be excellent.

Pool suite have no water views from what I have seen. Maybe a sliver if there is a pool suite on the south side of the pool.

I'm back next week at this hotel and as always looking forward to it.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Jasper. Have you stayed in a pool suite? How does it compare? It is about the same price as the coal harbor suite.
Yes, I've stayed in both Poolview Suites (with and without jetted tub and with two/one patios respectively). They're great suites and among my favourite ones: very spacious with large living room, dining area, pantry kitchen, full second bathroom etc.

The best feature IMO is the large patio with fireplace - allowing me to sit outside even if it's 8°C and raining.

Downside obviously is that other people can see you on the patio and that you don't have much of a view except for the pool of course.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:47 am

Thanks again, all. In the time I've taken to decide, the price has changed a bit and now the pool suite is actually a bit cheaper than the coal harbor suite -- only about $40 a night. I just can't decide between the two. The fireplace sounds nice, but we're going in the summer, so I'm not that sure I'd use it, though maybe in the evening a little.

Both a pool suite with jetted tub and without are available. Other than the jets in the tub, is there any other difference? Not really worth $25/night to me to pay for a jetted tub, but if the jetted tub rooms have other advantages or locations, I suppose that might change things.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again, all. In the time I've taken to decide, the price has changed a bit and now the pool suite is actually a bit cheaper than the coal harbor suite -- only about $40 a night. I just can't decide between the two. The fireplace sounds nice, but we're going in the summer, so I'm not that sure I'd use it, though maybe in the evening a little.

Both a pool suite with jetted tub and without are available. Other than the jets in the tub, is there any other difference? Not really worth $25/night to me to pay for a jetted tub, but if the jetted tub rooms have other advantages or locations, I suppose that might change things.
If you're there in the summer, you can obviously watch the people at the pool. And it's usually quite busy at night with some music etc.

IIRC all the poolview suites with jetted tubs are located in the corners of the U-shape wing, therefore they only have one patio, unlike the other poolview suites. The bathrooms are slightly larger IIRC, but other than that I don't recall any differences.

The only difference between the Poolvie Suite and the Coal Harbour Corner Suite is the view and the size of the patio, the suites themselves should be very similar (except that the Poolview Suites have a kitchen without stove which I always found convenient).
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If you're there in the summer, you can obviously watch the people at the pool. And it's usually quite busy at night with some music etc.

IIRC all the poolview suites with jetted tubs are located in the corners of the U-shape wing, therefore they only have one patio, unlike the other poolview suites. The bathrooms are slightly larger IIRC, but other than that I don't recall any differences.

The only difference between the Poolvie Suite and the Coal Harbour Corner Suite is the view and the size of the patio, the suites themselves should be very similar (except that the Poolview Suites have a kitchen without stove which I always found convenient).
Thanks Jasper -- yeah, the pantry/kitchen looks pretty nice. I really can't decide. We love to have coffee in the morning on the balcony and I guess the corner suite seems like it might be a little more private, but the pool suite looks nice too. Tough decision!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Thanks Jasper -- yeah, the pantry/kitchen looks pretty nice. I really can't decide. We love to have coffee in the morning on the balcony and I guess the corner suite seems like it might be a little more private, but the pool suite looks nice too. Tough decision!
My vote is the view suite over the pool suite. There is something magical about waking up with those floor to ceiling windows and overlooking the harbour and all of the flight planes coming in.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
My vote is the view suite over the pool suite. There is something magical about waking up with those floor to ceiling windows and overlooking the harbour and all of the flight planes coming in.
I would have to totally agree. I would even take either of the two junior suites over a pool suite.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Just made a 4 night booking for end of April/beginning of May in a Fairmont Gold Suite via Virtuoso, just wondering if I can/should expect an upgrade into a Fairmont Gold Corner Suite

The Gold Suite to Corner suite has about a 400 sqft size difference and close to a $600/night cost difference...but the corner suite is the next category size up from the Fairmont Gold Suite...not that I need the upgrade but it would certainly be nice to have.

Would it be distasteful to email the hotel in advance to request this upgrade?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by specboi
In my opinion, it's always distasteful to ask/beg for something to which you're not entitled.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In my opinion, it's always distasteful to ask/beg for something to which you're not entitled.
I'd agree with that. If at all, I may reply to the hotel's "we're looking forward to seeing you" e-mail and may express my preference for a higher floor / a room with a balcony or whatever, but I'd try to avoid asking for a particular room/suite.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:28 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by specboi
Your Virtuoso agent would do it for you.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.