Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
As much as I like this hotel, the rates have become more and more unaffordable.
Welcome to Vancouver.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
As much as I like this hotel, the rates have become more and more unaffordable.

I realize July is peak season, but the following rates for a Fairmont room just amaze me:

$549++ on most dates
$729++ on July 3-5

$800/night for a standard Fairmont room - just wow.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to Vancouver.
It's not so much a 'Vancouver' thing, but a this year thing. I have felt that the prices at the various Vancouver Fairmonts are significantly higher this year. It could be a USD thing as well, but they are certainly being priced out of my comfort zone this summer!

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Just got back from a stay in the elusive junior suite. Very, very nice. Full review coming soon, but here is a video tour (first video ever, not polished).

Book early esp if you want to use that suite upgrade. I was told they only have one junior suite in the entire property, though some have heard two. Either way, very elusive.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
Just got back from a stay in the elusive junior suite. Very, very nice. Full review coming soon, but here is a video tour (first video ever, not polished).

Book early esp if you want to use that suite upgrade. I was told they only have one junior suite in the entire property, though some have heard two. Either way, very elusive.
Thanks for posting!^

Interesting, I've never stayed in the Junior Suite, however the room/suite you stayed in doesn't quite match earlier descriptions in this thread, which were:

- same size as a regular suite (800 sq.ft.)
- proper one-bedroom suite, just without a proper view
- patio

One FTer suggested the only Junior Suite was located on the 6th floor whereas your room seems to be #735.

The cynic in my says the hotel may have tampered with the rooms/suites allocations once again (when the hotel opened, there were no "junior suites" at all).

@ those who have stayed in the Junior Suite(s): Does this suite look familiar? Do you remember the room/suite number?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Cool room. I have to ask though - from a real estate development perspective, why oh why would you waste windows for a hallway? Save those for the rooms!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:38 pm

@Jasper2009, FWIW there is a patio. I forgot to include it in the video.

800 sqft seems about right. I think the room is 733.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:45 pm

Room location is shown as circled.

Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
@Jasper2009, FWIW there is a patio. I forgot to include it in the video.

800 sqft seems about right. I think the room is 733.
Thanks for the info and the photo. The location right below the Chairman's Suite sounds about right, so I guess this is the same junior suite other FTers have stayed in.

Either way, the hotel's extremely restrictive suite upgrade policy is rather ridiculous IMO.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
I just had to post some comments about the service at this hotel. It is stellar.

I stayed twice in September with my family and I sent an employee on business earlier in the year. Here are a few stories of the exceptional:

- My wife wanted a rocking chair in the room (along with the crib) to rock our young baby to sleep. The hotel did not have one - so the BOUGHT one for us to use and had it in the room when we arrived. They said that they would use it for future guests.

- While the Bellman was delivering our luggage we ended up telling the story of how our young son was named - turns out there is a story related to the Thomas the Train books (don't laugh). Next day - a Thomas the Train book was delivered to the room for our son with a handwritten note from the Bellman.

- My employee was overhead by the staff complaining about how her feet hurt after a long day at a conference. When she returned to her room after dinner there was a foot massage machine in her room.

Yes the hotel is beautiful. Yes the rooms (especially the hot tub corner suites) are amazing - but what really sets this hotel apart is the service.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by codesinvan
I just had to post some comments about the service at this hotel. It is stellar.

I stayed twice in September with my family and I sent an employee on business earlier in the year. Here are a few stories of the exceptional:

- My wife wanted a rocking chair in the room (along with the crib) to rock our young baby to sleep. The hotel did not have one - so the BOUGHT one for us to use and had it in the room when we arrived. They said that they would use it for future guests.

- While the Bellman was delivering our luggage we ended up telling the story of how our young son was named - turns out there is a story related to the Thomas the Train books (don't laugh). Next day - a Thomas the Train book was delivered to the room for our son with a handwritten note from the Bellman.

- My employee was overhead by the staff complaining about how her feet hurt after a long day at a conference. When she returned to her room after dinner there was a foot massage machine in her room.

Yes the hotel is beautiful. Yes the rooms (especially the hot tub corner suites) are amazing - but what really sets this hotel apart is the service.
Great service indeed. Make sure you log into your Fairmont account, and click on the "comment on your stay" button and let the hotel know. It really does get back to the employees (I have had some personally thank me for leaving comments).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Great service indeed. Make sure you log into your Fairmont account, and click on the "comment on your stay" button and let the hotel know. It really does get back to the employees (I have had some personally thank me for leaving comments).
Thanks CanuckFLyHigh - I did not know about the "comment on your stay" button. I have now used it to log the three examples that I provided.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:00 pm

https://youtu.be/S1nvGhmSNHk

Great video. I've stayed in this suite twice. I enjoy people watching from above on the long patio and you peer into the pool scene as well. IF they still have the other junior suite it is the lowest corner room across the palm trees.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
suite upgrade and free night cert

Just emailed the vpr reservation team and got myself a reservation using my free night cert plus a suite night upgrade cert to the signature ofuro room.

I've stayed in this property numerous times in the past both in their standard deluxe room with view, gold room and their gold corner suite. But I've always wanted to try the signature room.

They apologized for not having a Jr suite available but I was more than okay with the signature room instead since it's only a 1 night layover.

I was originally going to stay at the fairmont airport hotel out of convinence and I've heard great reviews. But you really cannot go wrong with the Pacific rim. I have some willow stream cert left too so maybe I'll book myself a spa treatment while I'm there.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Finished up a 4 night business stay. FHR highlights are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26332456-post783.html

My comments on the Fairmont Waterfront here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26313217-post50.html

The Deluxe Partial Harbour View Room had plenty of desk space to work and the view was very good. The view was not as great as the room I had at the Waterfront (signature harbour view corner room), but the working area was better.

The virtual surround sound bar at the Pac Rim was very good. I don't think I've ever stayed at a property with a better sound system than this. It's no 7.1 home theatre system, but definitely very solid.

Service was consistently excellent. Complimentary car service (BMW 7-series) anywhere downtown for drop off and pick up. Concierge managed to secure a table at a fully booked restaurant in a prime time slot by speaking with the manager. When we were at the restaurant, we were pleasantly surprised by an amuse-bouche that we were told was "compliments of [concierge's name] at the Fairmont Pacific Rim."

Oru was good for breakfast, though I did like the food at ARC in the Waterfront more. The service at Oru was excellent, but though the flavour of the food was fine, everything seemed a little drier, a little less tender than comparable food at ARC.

The exact same cocktails were more expensive at Lobby Lounge than at ARC. However, the atmosphere at Lobby Lounge was a lot more lively, and you're probably paying a premium for that. One of the waitresses had a pretty arrogant attitude. My friend asked for recommendations for something that was a bit sweeter and not as strong, and the waitress said something like "if you go to a fancy bar like this, they never make drinks sweet. Maybe at a [chain restaurant] you could get a sweet drink, but not here." Unnecessarily condescending, but I'd write it off as a one-off experience. Everyone else was great.

Platinum Amenity was 3 pieces of chocolate truffles along with a small dish of chocolate almonds. Tasty enough, but not unique or outstanding in any way.

Took the complimentary car over to the Shangri-La for my next 4 days. When I arrived at the Shangri-La, I noticed that a couple of items from the laundry. I called the Pac Rim and they were very apologetic. They found the missing items and sent it to the Shangri-La. Excellent service recovery.

The one thing thing that stood out the most for me was actually the robes. The robes at the Pac Rim are unlike the robes at any other Fairmonts. They're soft, smooth, fluffy, and just feel great against the skin.

Overall this was also an excellent stay. Compared with the Waterfront, I would say that the Waterfront has a more relaxed atmosphere. It's also definitely cheaper for comparable views. Bed quality, linen comfort, and other rest-related qualities are pretty consistent with the rest of the Fairmont brand for both properties. Pac Rim has more frills - TV in the bathroom mirror, virtual surround sound bar, iPad room controls, more dining options, better gym.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Kendryk
Finished up a 4 night business stay. FHR highlights are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26332456-post783.html

My comments on the Fairmont Waterfront here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26313217-post50.html

The Deluxe Partial Harbour View Room had plenty of desk space to work and the view was very good. The view was not as great as the room I had at the Waterfront (signature harbour view corner room), but the working area was better.

The virtual surround sound bar at the Pac Rim was very good. I don't think I've ever stayed at a property with a better sound system than this. It's no 7.1 home theatre system, but definitely very solid.

Service was consistently excellent. Complimentary car service (BMW 7-series) anywhere downtown for drop off and pick up. Concierge managed to secure a table at a fully booked restaurant in a prime time slot by speaking with the manager. When we were at the restaurant, we were pleasantly surprised by an amuse-bouche that we were told was "compliments of [concierge's name] at the Fairmont Pacific Rim."

Oru was good for breakfast, though I did like the food at ARC in the Waterfront more. The service at Oru was excellent, but though the flavour of the food was fine, everything seemed a little drier, a little less tender than comparable food at ARC.

The exact same cocktails were more expensive at Lobby Lounge than at ARC. However, the atmosphere at Lobby Lounge was a lot more lively, and you're probably paying a premium for that. One of the waitresses had a pretty arrogant attitude. My friend asked for recommendations for something that was a bit sweeter and not as strong, and the waitress said something like "if you go to a fancy bar like this, they never make drinks sweet. Maybe at a [chain restaurant] you could get a sweet drink, but not here." Unnecessarily condescending, but I'd write it off as a one-off experience. Everyone else was great.

Platinum Amenity was 3 pieces of chocolate truffles along with a small dish of chocolate almonds. Tasty enough, but not unique or outstanding in any way.

Took the complimentary car over to the Shangri-La for my next 4 days. When I arrived at the Shangri-La, I noticed that a couple of items from the laundry. I called the Pac Rim and they were very apologetic. They found the missing items and sent it to the Shangri-La. Excellent service recovery.

The one thing thing that stood out the most for me was actually the robes. The robes at the Pac Rim are unlike the robes at any other Fairmonts. They're soft, smooth, fluffy, and just feel great against the skin.

Overall this was also an excellent stay. Compared with the Waterfront, I would say that the Waterfront has a more relaxed atmosphere. It's also definitely cheaper for comparable views. Bed quality, linen comfort, and other rest-related qualities are pretty consistent with the rest of the Fairmont brand for both properties. Pac Rim has more frills - TV in the bathroom mirror, virtual surround sound bar, iPad room controls, more dining options, better gym.
Great review. I agree, the robes at Pac Rim are some of the best I have ever had. I have 2 in my home, I love them so much,.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.