Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Stayed at Pacific Rim for 4 nights last week. While this is the gem of the Vancouver properties and possibly of the entire brand (with a few exceptions) something about Pacific Rim bugs me. Maybe it is the showy cars (think Audi R8 or Escalade XLT) with L or N magnets in the Valet or the 30 drunk men creeping on the Lobby Lounge patrons at 11pm, but something seems phony about it.

Here is a small highlight review:

Positives:

Negatives:
Unreliable customer service. Front Desk: zero effort to use my name, smile, or attempt in any way to make my day better. None of this is required for me to enjoy my stay, but I have grown accustomed to this level of customized service from the Fairmont Brand.
(Concierge and Porters are generally more friendly and accommodating)

Lobby Lounge. This should be a positive with a vibrant lounge, that actually has patrons and good music, but the Drunk Tank effect and bouncers on Thru/Fri/Sat is quite detracting from this property.
Full Disclosure up front: I'm one of the Pac Rim's biggest fans; and my girfriend's name is even attached to a LL drink.

About 90% of my Fairmont stays are at the Pac Rim nowadays; and it's evident that it's now a "place to be see and be seen" amongst celebrities and locals alike. Sir Richard Branson himself wandered through the crowd last week as Virgin was doing a promo tour for their new YVR-LHR service. Movie stars and hockey players are very common every week.

The rooms are fantastic although often 50-75% more expensive than 2 years ago. My favorites are the Signature Suite xx10 rooms that corner into the cruise ship pier.

The front desk remains the weak link here. It's generally mediocre to downright icy at times. I did see an advertisement for an Assistant Manager recently which might be a turn in the right direction. I get my keys from the valet and they are always friendly, personable and friendly.

The Lobby Lounge is a cash machine for the hotel. They've maximized every square inch of the lobby and outdoor patio and it contributes to the crowds on weekend evenings. There's a great line-up of live music on every night and it's hard not to enjoy that.

There's a large group of building residents who hang out regularly; and their consumption and bar tabs are epic. Combine that with conferences and more than the average share of businessmen away from home and you can see why it can see crazy at time. I really do have to give credit to the bar staff for keeping people in check...and there are ways to do so discreetly.

I don't believe they employ actual bouncers at the Lobby Lounge. It's more like the bell, general security or door staff are asked to step in and help direct the wayward customers on their way. If anyone knows differently, I'd like to know. Last weekend we had the girls who stripped on the staircase down to their bikinis and were doing laps at the rail in front of Oru. A female and male manager came to the rescue eventually. There are definitely eye-roll moments there; but IMO it comes with the incredible success the Pac Rim staff has created.

If one wants quiet, there's always the Grande Dame of the Hotel Vancouver.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:11 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Full Disclosure up front: I'm one of the Pac Rim's biggest fans; and my girfriend's name is even attached to a LL drink.

About 90% of my Fairmont stays are at the Pac Rim nowadays; and it's evident that it's now a "place to be see and be seen" amongst celebrities and locals alike. Sir Richard Branson himself wandered through the crowd last week as Virgin was doing a promo tour for their new YVR-LHR service. Movie stars and hockey players are very common every week.

The rooms are fantastic although often 50-75% more expensive than 2 years ago. My favorites are the Signature Suite xx10 rooms that corner into the cruise ship pier.

The front desk remains the weak link here. It's generally mediocre to downright icy at times. I did see an advertisement for an Assistant Manager recently which might be a turn in the right direction. I get my keys from the valet and they are always friendly, personable and friendly.

The Lobby Lounge is a cash machine for the hotel. They've maximized every square inch of the lobby and outdoor patio and it contributes to the crowds on weekend evenings. There's a great line-up of live music on every night and it's hard not to enjoy that.

There's a large group of building residents who hang out regularly; and their consumption and bar tabs are epic. Combine that with conferences and more than the average share of businessmen away from home and you can see why it can see crazy at time. I really do have to give credit to the bar staff for keeping people in check...and there are ways to do so discreetly.

I don't believe they employ actual bouncers at the Lobby Lounge. It's more like the bell, general security or door staff are asked to step in and help direct the wayward customers on their way. If anyone knows differently, I'd like to know. Last weekend we had the girls who stripped on the staircase down to their bikinis and were doing laps at the rail in front of Oru. A female and male manager came to the rescue eventually. There are definitely eye-roll moments there; but IMO it comes with the incredible success the Pac Rim staff has created.

If one wants quiet, there's always the Grande Dame of the Hotel Vancouver.
Great Post. I agree, the front desk is a major issue at this gem. I have tried Waterfront (Rooms, and dining) and YVR Airport, and both are nice, but not the modern icon PacRim has become. I imagine their upcoming Austin property will have a similar feel (being attached to the Austin Convention Centre.)

I didn't see the bikini streaking, but really? That shouldn't be happening. Not the hotel's fault, but there has to be a way to discourage that.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I didn't see the bikini streaking, but really? That shouldn't be happening. Not the hotel's fault, but there has to be a way to discourage that.
Air Conditioning!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
VANCOUVER, June 20th, 2012 - Designed to perfection -Vancouver' s iconic property becomes the first hotel in Canada to implement ICE (Interactive Customer ExperienceTM) by Intelity on all personal and in-room iPad2 devices throughout all 377 guestrooms and suites.

More than just a virtual concierge, this award-winning ICE technology allows guests to customize their stay and interact with all areas of the hotel. At the touch of a fingertip, a variety of guest requests can be met using the iPad2 - from accessing guestroom controls, restaurant reservations, ordering in-room dining, spa treatments, valet parking, airport transportation/schedules, housekeeping requests, researching information on cultural and entertainment attractions and much more.

In addition to providing iPad2 devices in every guestroom, Fairmont Pacific Rim is launching an ICE Mobile app, allowing guests to download on iTunes prior to their arrival. Available on all personal apple devices, future guests are given the opportunity to plan ahead and maximize every minute in Vancouver, one of the world's greatest cities.

"The commitment from our team to take care of our guests has been exemplary since day one, and this superb technology will serve to further assist all our colleagues in doing so" comments Philip Barnes, General Manager and Regional Vice President. "The Intelity ICE implementation will assist the team in consistently reaching their number one goal - ensuring every guest leaves happy."

"We are east to west with Fairmont," comments Intelity President and CEO, David Adelson. "From the Plaza Hotel in New York City to the iconic Fairmont Pacific Rim, ICE Touch on the iPad2 will serve guests with one touch of a finger."

The iPad2 featuring ICE technology will be available in the Fairmont Pacific Rim guestrooms mid-July 2012. The mobile application will also launch at that time.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by tcook052
The iPad2 featuring ICE technology will be available in the Fairmont Pacific Rim guestrooms mid-July 2012. The mobile application will also launch at that time.
iPads are now in the rooms - seems like a bit of overkill but nice to have an alternative to the barely-usable in-wall controls.

Went to dinner at Lift and the menus were iPads - again, pretty gimmicky but whatever.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We're planning a stay at the property in November. Anyone recently using the manicure/pedicure Passions Cert for a massage?

I remember reading when the hotel first opened, the spa was accepting these certificates for massages. Just wondering if this is still the case?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We're planning a stay at the property in November. Anyone recently using the manicure/pedicure Passions Cert for a massage?
I recently stayed at the property and used all my food certs towards spa no issues. I'm sure you can use your passions cert for a massage. Call the spa reception, I'm sure they will confirm right away.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I remember reading when the hotel first opened, the spa was accepting these certificates for massages. Just wondering if this is still the case?
I didn't use the spa, but especially on a weekday, there was very little availability because there were not many staff members. Several times I called around noon to ask for something later that day and was told they were fully booked.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
I recently stayed at the property and used all my food certs towards spa no issues. I'm sure you can use your passions cert for a massage. Call the spa reception, I'm sure they will confirm right away.
My better half just used the spa. She could get a massage but had to pay the difference. I think it was a $79 credit for the pedicure.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kokinos
My better half just used the spa. She could get a massage but had to pay the difference. I think it was a $79 credit for the pedicure.
Which is actually a fair deal...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Pac Rim Maestro Review

Currently at the Pacific Rim having already spent a couple of nights here. This is the best serviced Fairmont in Canada, and rivals that of the Savoy. The breakfast still a notch down from the Mayakoba.

Rooms are great. Question: Isn't the Waterfront business affected? They seem pretty busy when we were passing thru tonite. We drove by the Four Seasons, and no view. Not sure why the Four Seasons is popular in Vancouver. Perhaps service goes a long ways.

PacRim was not offering their Sunday Brunch currently because they are fazing in a brand new executive chef. A dissappointment because I made a 10:30 am reservation at Oru with concierge who stated that Sunday Brunch was going on only to arrive finding out that there is no Sunday Brunch. We still ate at Oru, as the Pan Pacific Sunday Brunch didn't start until 11:30 am. The Water Front Sunday Brunch at Heron is no longer buffet style, one of the reasons why we ate at Oru. The other reason was we wanted to make a day for the kids at Telus World of Science, which is a great stop btw for whoever has kids.

Service again is out of this world. I don't feel I'm being nickeled and dimed. I've used the spa a number of times and thoroughly enjoy the amenities offered. Facilities are all top notch brand new. I like the outdoor hot pools setup. The infrared Sauna was great. Sitting out under the brella seats overlooking the bay is nice and serene. Concierge is great.. We booked the Sail Away Package when the Big Bus hop on hop off tour was offered as part of the package. Concierge included the kids as part of that package which was very nice gesture.

We traded in the Manicure/Pedicure cert for $69 credit towards massages. My wife is currently in with a masseuse. She had her first massage yesterday and loved it. The spa access for Plat FPC is a nice touch, as I've had the pleasure using the spa a number of times during the stay. The spa offers fruits, pastries, as well as teas, water and coffee. Most of the balance was taken care of through the $25 spa cert redemptions which makes it convenient, because I write off meals through the company. So having cert redemption for the spa is a big plus. My wife is taking in 45 minute massages for the price of $109 which helps. A 60 minute massage is $139, so about the same incremental difference for the extra 15 minutes. A 10% discount for treatments are offered to FPC members.

One dissappointment I did have was no haircut facility onsite. I was going to have all of the kids and myself have a haircut. I wish that service was available at the PacRim.

Can't say enough about the Fazioli sitting in the Atrium downstairs. I've fallen in love just listening to the Jazz pianist playing. What a sound. I'm a Hamburg Steinway connoisseur, but I'm seriously thinking that the next piano I'm purchasing may be a Fazioli. The resonance, tone and character of the instrument is astounding. Literrally, I felt mesmerized sitting there listening. I personally know the Fazioli dealer here in Vancouver (Manuel Bernaschez), I'm glad to see that one of his pianos is gracing the Atrium of the PacRim.

I find the automated rooms good, but since I've got a home automation system at home, I'm a bit more critical about ease of use. I actually find Fairmont YVR automation easier to use and more refined. Its weird touching the pad that's already lit up. Hard to read. Plus not all of the lamps are tied into the automation, and its a bit hard to use. I guess the Ipad is the key, but the there are 4 locations where wall touchpads are located.. so figuring out functions took a few tries. Btw, I love the TV that's integrated right into the mirror.

Rooms are well appointed with light contemporary textures different to the other Fairmonts I'm used to. I like the 10 mm glass setup.. reminds me alot of Mayakoba and the 10 mm glass setup in the bathrooms.

There are no locker areas for users of the outdoor public hotel pools. The change rooms are basically washrooms and when occupied, you've got to wait your turn. I've used the public hotel pools because my 7 year old son likes to swim. Basically, once changed, we had to bag up the clothes and take the belongings outside until its time to change again. Love the outdoor TVs at the pool area and the spa.. a great touch.

Honestly, is the other Fairmonts in Vancouver in business? The Pac Rim is out of this world in terms of location, room appointments and service. When travelling to Vancouver, having a view of the harbour and the bling is where its at. Glad we made the flight down to Vancouver to check the PacRim out over Remembrance Day long weekend.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Nov 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very informative post, Maestro! My wife and I may well go there late this spring or this summer. I'm sure I'll be challenged by the lighting panels. But beyond that, it sounds wonderful.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:57 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Pac Rim is the best in the network, but Beijing is similar.
Mark my word, Austin will rival them all (2016)

And a potential refurb at Santa Monica could be on par with Pacific Rim.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Questions re suite upgrades

Originally Posted by acysb87
Pulled from the fairmont Site

"The suite upgrade certificate at Fairmont Pacific Rim is only available for the:

Harbour View Suite
Harbour Mountain View Suite"

FYI
I think this would be found in Terms & Conditions..

I would quote this section of suite upgrade at booking, to obtain the Harbour View Suite or the Harbour Mountain View Suite.. Let FPC or the hotel know, and they should honor what's stated..
As noted in a previous post, my wife and I may well stay at the Pacific Rim next year. We have four complimentary nights by virtue of the Fairmont credit card offer and suite upgrade certificates.

Questions:

1. As per the useful posts above, am I correct in assuming that we can get upgraded to an HVS or HMVS if one is available at time of booking? Or might the rules be different at the Pacific Rim for complimentary stays such as ours?
2. The hotel website lists three kinds of HVS suites: the HVS, the HVS with Jetted Tub, and the HVMS. I assume that, unless one is really big on jetted tubs, the HVMS is the best one in that it has a patio and is the largest of the three. (Though the website is a bit confusing on this score: It at one point says the size is 800 square feet - the same as the others - and at another says the size is 950 square feet. Could that be because the patio is included in the 950?)
3. Do any of these offer sunset views, or do they face in the wrong direction for that?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
As noted in a previous post, my wife and I may well stay at the Pacific Rim next year. We have four complimentary nights by virtue of the Fairmont credit card offer and suite upgrade certificates.

Questions:

1. As per the useful posts above, am I correct in assuming that we can get upgraded to an HVS or HMVS if one is available at time of booking? Or might the rules be different at the Pacific Rim for complimentary stays such as ours?
2. The hotel website lists three kinds of HVS suites: the HVS, the HVS with Jetted Tub, and the HVMS. I assume that, unless one is really big on jetted tubs, the HVMS is the best one in that it has a patio and is the largest of the three. (Though the website is a bit confusing on this score: It at one point says the size is 800 square feet - the same as the others - and at another says the size is 950 square feet. Could that be because the patio is included in the 950?)
3. Do any of these offer sunset views, or do they face in the wrong direction for that?

Thanks for any advice!
1. Yes, free nights and suite upgrade certs can be used during the same stay.

2. Unfortunately you can only upgrade to a junior suite or a Mountain/Harbour View Suite with Jetted Tub. Unless something changed very recently I´m pretty sure you cannot upgrade to any of the suites that have a nice view and a balcony. Iknow of a few cases where guests were able to negotiate a better upgrade at an additional charge, but not sure how willing the hotel would be to do this if you´re only using the free night certs.

The Pacific Rim is by far my favourite new-style Fairmont, but as the hotel actually manages to sell most suites at regular rates their suite upgrade policy unfortunately has become more restrictive since its opening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.