Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I've got the Visa Infinite as well.. so there's VIP status offered with it? Interesting..
Not really VIP status... VISA has a similar program as AMEX called "Signature" where you can book one particular rate through their TA that includes breakfast, upgrade upon availability and one other amenity.

The amenities are usually the same or very similar for AMEX FHR/Virtuoso/VISA Signature, though the rates may occasionally differ slightly (BAR minus x%)
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by quank
Go to this link: https://visainfinite.ca/home.do?action=logout
  • Pick your card
  • My RBC Avion requires the first 8 digits to log in
  • There is all kinds of stuff in there but look for the travel/hotel and the "Luxury Hotel Collection"
  • Think you get stuff like breakfast, potentially an F&B voucher and potentially an upgrade
Cool.. I went as far as selecting my CIBC Aerolgold Infinite card.. I usually login with cc# and password, but looks like I'll have to create a password.. so probably will try it tonite.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Not really VIP status... VISA has a similar program as AMEX called "Signature" where you can book one particular rate through their TA that includes breakfast, upgrade upon availability and one other amenity.

The amenities are usually the same or very similar for AMEX FHR/Virtuoso/VISA Signature, though the rates may occasionally differ slightly (BAR minus x%)
Cool.. Seems like all these Fairmont deals with breakfast, and upgrades are popping up all over the place.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool.. Seems like all these Fairmont deals with breakfast, and upgrades are popping up all over the place.
Well, not quite, most partnerships between hotels and Vitruoso/AMEX FHR/Signature etc. have been around for many years, the amenities often change slightly from year to year, but basically the benefits are pretty similar across all programs.

Itīs important to remember that not all Fairmonts participate (my estimate would be <50%) and that all these partners can only book one particular rate (identical to BAR or slightly cheaper). Itīs certainly an option worth considering, but there are many other rates which often provide better value if you know for sure youīll be travelling (i.e. booking a non-refundable rate is not an issue)
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Well, not quite, most partnerships between hotels and Vitruoso/AMEX FHR/Signature etc. have been around for many years, the amenities often change slightly from year to year, but basically the benefits are pretty similar across all programs.

Itīs important to remember that not all Fairmonts participate (my estimate would be <50%) and that all these partners can only book one particular rate (identical to BAR or slightly cheaper). Itīs certainly an option worth considering, but there are many other rates which often provide better value if you know for sure youīll be travelling (i.e. booking a non-refundable rate is not an issue)
I guess the point I'm making is these third party deals on a retail level is offering enhancements you can't earn with FPC elite status. So while we can access some fantastic rates, the average non FPC customer doesn't have such access.. but can access immediate benefits. If the promotions are popping up and staying.. then I stand corrected.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I guess the point I'm making is these third party deals on a retail level is offering enhancements you can't earn with FPC elite status. So while we can access some fantastic rates, the average non FPC customer doesn't have such access.. but can access immediate benefits. If the promotions are popping up and staying.. then I stand corrected.
Watch the use of the word "enhancements"... in the FT world this almost always means reductions in benefits

Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Air Koryo
Watch the use of the word "enhancements"... in the FT world this almost always means reductions in benefits

Lol.. that's exactly why I used the word enhancement.. I noticed a few eliminations in the loyalty program.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Checked with Platinum desk and the Pacific Rim's first designated suite category is a Junior Suite with a view of the shoreline at 800 square feet about the same as the one bedroom harbour view. I pointed out the Terms and Conditions stating that the suite designations is a one bedroom harbour view suite, and a one bedroom harbour mountain view suite. No avail.. first the junior suites need to be booked, then the one bedroom harbour/mountain view suite. I was just curious, not having booked anything.

How are other FTers doing with the suite upgrade at this hotel? Is it best to call the hotel directly to apply the suite upgrade?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Checked with Platinum desk and the Pacific Rim's first designated suite category is a Junior Suite with a view of the shoreline at 800 square feet about the same as the one bedroom harbour view. I pointed out the Terms and Conditions stating that the suite designations is a one bedroom harbour view suite, and a one bedroom harbour mountain view suite. No avail.. first the junior suites need to be booked, then the one bedroom harbour/mountain view suite. I was just curious, not having booked anything.

How are other FTers doing with the suite upgrade at this hotel? Is it best to call the hotel directly to apply the suite upgrade?
I booked a stay for the Easter weekend and used a suite upgrade to the harbour/mountin view through the platinum phone number. There was no discussion about having to have a junior suite.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hotel rebranded the suites since it opened last year, all the suites are pretty similar/identical except for the views.

IIRC the "junior suite" (which actually is a 1-bedroom suite) is the designated suite category, but the hotels allow upgrades to the harbour/mountain view during off-season.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shenanigans
I booked a stay for the Easter weekend and used a suite upgrade to the harbour/mountin view through the platinum phone number. There was no discussion about having to have a junior suite.
Good to know.^ So no trouble..

The hotel rebranded the suites since it opened last year, all the suites are pretty similar/identical except for the views.

IIRC the "junior suite" (which actually is a 1-bedroom suite) is the designated suite category, but the hotels allow upgrades to the harbour/mountain view during off-season.
So the Junior Suite is actually a one-bedroom is good to know.. When I asked what sort of view it is, they said a view of the convention center.. I said on the coast, and the answer is yes.. 800 hundred square feet.. that's the same size as the one bedroom to start..

We may just go Mayakoba for a couple of weeks in July.. working on it.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the Junior Suite is actually a one-bedroom is good to know.. When I asked what sort of view it is, they said a view of the convention center.. I said on the coast, and the answer is yes.. 800 hundred square feet.. that's the same size as the one bedroom to start..
The 1-bedroom suites are pretty much all the same except for the view. AFAIK the "junior suites" are located on the lower floors (up to floor 10) and the views may be obstructed by the convention center, while the suites on the higher floors have a better view of the mountains/harbour.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:14 pm

Has anyone stayed in the "junior suite?"

When I talked to in-house reservations, they suggested there was only ONE, that it was on the 6th floor, and once it's gone they won't allow any more suite upgrade certificates to be used.

I'm just wondering how good/bad the view is. I've only stayed in Fairmont Gold (though not suites) at the Pacific Rim, with an awesome view facing west. I want to see what I'm giving up to save some cash.

Debating whether having the extra space is worth it in this case, or if the view should be a deal-breaker. (We could have room service for breakfast and a bottle of wine in the junior suite every night and still come out better).
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kylemcbride
Has anyone stayed in the "junior suite?"

When I talked to in-house reservations, they suggested there was only ONE, that it was on the 6th floor, and once it's gone they won't allow any more suite upgrade certificates to be used.
Wow, thatīs really bad news if itīs true. Iīm having a very hard time believing the accurary of the info you were given. Have you tried calling FPC?

The slightly iriitating thing is that the "junior suite(s)" (which actually is a 1-bedroom suite) category was created/"invented" after the hotel had been operating for several months. The official statement was "reallignment of room descrptions to reflect the views etc.", and I have no reason to not believe this statement, but of itīs always possible the category was created to deal with "suite upgraders".

Originally Posted by kylemcbride
I'm just wondering how good/bad the view is. I've only stayed in Fairmont Gold (though not suites) at the Pacific Rim, with an awesome view facing west. I want to see what I'm giving up to save some cash.

Debating whether having the extra space is worth it in this case, or if the view should be a deal-breaker. (We could have room service for breakfast and a bottle of wine in the junior suite every night and still come out better).
i agree Fairmont Gold at the Pacific Rim is fantastic, I could have kept sitting on the patio on the 22nd floor all day.

The 6th floor is the lowest possible floor you can get IIRC, the suite will likely provide good views of the rooftop of the Convention Center. My guess is that itīs the suite directly beneath the SkyDeck Suite, so the view would be pretty limited.

The suite will be pretty extactly 2x the size of a Fairmont room, whether itīs worth it is up to you.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:06 pm

i agree Fairmont Gold at the Pacific Rim is fantastic, I could have kept sitting on the patio on the 22nd floor all day.
Now that's a fact! One of the few hotels I actually enjoy being in the room. It's tough though with all the activities, restos, and people watching to do within a minute walk or two to juggle your time.
My SO won't stay in any other hotel in Vancouver now but it isn't for everyone as jagboi pointed out in the Vancouver thread.
Lastly with all the suite upgrade cert talk about this hotel lately I will add my recent experiences. As a plat I have always been impressed with what I end up with. I have stayed here quite a few times and usually my bar/resto/spa tab is bigger then room rate so I end up paying it back.
I think it's just one of those hotels that waits till the last minute to figure out where the plats will stay. At least this is the way I see it bc I've always ended up with a better room then my confirmed room so far.
From what I can tell it's one of the few hotels that can actually sell their Signature suites for big bucks last minute. Obviously the place needs to make money since they don't have a customer base or history but big startup and lease costs so I can understand why they might seem stingy upfront but as a plat I've had fantastic rooms there each time.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Wow, thatīs really bad news if itīs true. Iīm having a very hard time believing the accurary of the info you were given. Have you tried calling FPC?
Me, too, particularly given that I posted just a couple posts up the page (or down as the case may be) that I have a confirmed harbour/mountain view suite for the Easter long weekend with the use of a suite upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.