Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 11:38 pm

I checked out today.

The electronic touch-pad controls to turn the lights on and off in my room were malfunctioning. There were several separate touch-pads. Two of the touch-pads did not work, you had to press the button 8 or 10 times and then maybe it would respond and maybe it wouldn't.

I arrived late at night. On entering the room the lights were on. I checked out the controls. Opened and closed the drapes with the touch-pad control, cool feature. Then I noticed the button "lights off" so I turned all the lights off. Now I am standing there in total darkness so I can't read the titles on any of the other buttons. I start randomly hitting buttons, since the buttons take 5 or 10 presses to respond I am getting nowhere. So now I am tired and getting frustrated.

My workaround was to take the small bedside clock (it has a motion-activated light inside) and use it as a flashlight. To illuminate my whole room, I turned on the large flatscreen TV. This gave me enough light to get ready for bed.

The rest of my stay I had a battle with the touchscreen controls and I lost. Normally I would have brought this up with the front desk however I was busy and tired and did not want to pack up all my stuff and change rooms.

The other annoying feature about the touchscreen keypads was they were lit up with small LED lights. Not enough light to read the titles on the buttons, but enough lights to keep me up at night. I stay in Fairmonts mostly because I am guaranteed what I need for a good sleep: a dark room, complete quiet, a comfortable bed, and a heating/cooling system that works properly. Needless to say I could not sleep well in a room lit up with banks of LED lights.

I feel bad to post negative comments about this place because I am a big fan of Fairmont overall. However I feel that in designing this hotel they were trying too hard to be cool. Please give me regular light switches that work.
Old May 2, 2010, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
On entering the room the lights were on. I checked out the controls. Opened and closed the drapes with the touch-pad control, cool feature. Then I noticed the button "lights off" so I turned all the lights off. Now I am standing there in total darkness so I can't read the titles on any of the other buttons.
I had the exact same experience. They should use phosphorescent titles so guests would actually be able to easily switch on the lights.

I also spent quite some time looking for a slot to insert my room card until I was told I only have to hold the room card in front of the door handle to open the door.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:53 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Wow, I just checked into this property and I am super impressed. Check-in was the fastest ever: arrived and had room key in my hand before even stepping in the front door! The valet went way beyond the call of duty fixing a problem for me, and then refused a token tip. In terms of decor, the room comes closest to what I remember from a stay at the Park Hyatt Zurich. Differences: this room is bigger and nicer, the view is stunningly better (can't wait to see it in daylight!), the hotel service is miles and miles better, and the cost is far more reasonable.

I will certainly be back! This may be my new favorite Fairmont and new favorite hotel!
Old May 19, 2010, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone know min lease for residences? how have closings been?
http://www.fairmontpacificrim.com/home.html

also re hotel - only 24 club rooms? is that a fairmont record?
Old May 19, 2010, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
also re hotel - only 24 club rooms? is that a fairmont record?
Well, the Gold floor of the Pacific Rim occupies two floors out of 22, so about 10% of all rooms / suites are located on the Gold floors. (which is about the same percentage as at most other Fairmonts)

At least the floor plan in my room showed a total of 12 rooms/suites in addition to the lounnge. Considering the fact that standard rooms are 400 sq.ft. and most suites are 800 sq.ft-1200 sq.ft, my estimate would be that each floor offers about 12000 sq.ft. of space, which doesnīt sound unrealistic for a high-rise building.
Old May 20, 2010, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
about 10% of all rooms / suites are located on the Gold floors. (which is about the same percentage as at most other Fairmonts)
if its really only 10%, then why isnt it more expensive..?

has anyone actually seen the numbers?

as i said in lux hotels, 24 just beats FS. and RC doesnt come anywhere close to that few.
Old May 20, 2010, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if its really only 10%, then why isnt it more expensive..?

has anyone actually seen the numbers?

as i said in lux hotels, 24 just beats FS. and RC doesnt come anywhere close to that few.
I donīt quite understand your question.

You usually have to pay $100-$200 more per night for a room on the Gold floor than for the exact same room located on another floor. (Gold floors have only been introduced over the last couple of years at most properties, though there were some properties which had a lounge floor before)

In some cases the rooms on the Gold floor are much nicer/larger than the rest of the rooms at the hotel and the surcharge to stay on the Gold floor are obviously much higher than $100 (e.g. Chateau Lake Louise: standard room: 165 sq.ft. / standard Gold room: 300 sq.ft.).

The benefits of the Gold floor are: comp. breakfast, comp. evening canapes, private check-in/check-out, usually a pretty nice lounge with newspapers, honor bar, dedicated concierge team etc.
Old May 20, 2010, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You usually have to pay $100-$200 more per night for a room on the Gold floor
i was referring to "more" than those figures

In some cases the rooms on the Gold floor are much nicer/larger than the rest of the rooms at the hotel and the surcharge to stay on the Gold floor are obviously much higher than $100 (e.g. Chateau Lake Louise: standard room: 165 sq.ft. / standard Gold room: 300 sq.ft.).
very interesting, didnt recall that
Old May 25, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I feel bad to post negative comments about this place because I am a big fan of Fairmont overall. However I feel that in designing this hotel they were trying too hard to be cool. Please give me regular light switches that work.
I spent 3 nights at the Pacific Rim over the long weekend, and I'll second the thoughts about the lights. I counted the LCD lights on the panels in the room, and there was 32 of them. It was like falling asleep in a christmas tree. For a home where you become familiar with the controls I think it would work, but not in a hotel.

I had a pool view room, with a patio. The patio was wonderful to sit on in the evening and read next to the fireplace, except there is no light out there except for the fire and that's not enough to read by after the sun goes down. After all the fancy controls they put in the room, couldn't they put a pot light on the patio? Maybe even a porch style light to make the patio a bit more useful. I dragged one of the room light desk lights as close to the window as the cord would reach, but it wasn't enough light to read by. When it was light out the patio was really relaxing, it was one of my favourite parts of the room.

I wasn't wild about the motorized drapes. I often like to just crack them a bit in the morning so I have a bit of light, but am not blinded. Instead I hit the wrong button and they open wide. I didn't like that it was all or nothing. Similarly, I went to the bathroom at night and all I can see is the glowing LED's. Which one is the night light? I can't read the labels since they are not lit. Again, I pushed the wrong button and got full bright. Dam, that hurt the eyes.

It seems in many cases the hotel is great, but they missed the fine detail that would have made it really special. They clearly didn't skimp on the materials, the marble and walnut is not cheap. So why not heat the bathroom floor? It's not pleasant to step out of the shower and realize that you forgot to put out the bath mat. Marble is cold! My partner is in the tile and stone business and I know that electric heating mats that go under the tile floor are not that expensive, especially compared to what they spent on the stone and the mirror with the TV in it. I suspect that the customer they are aiming to attract with an ultramodern hotel probably already has heated floors in their home, so would notice the absence of them in the hotel.

Whoever though of putting the reception right next to the lounge, especially if you're going to have live music? When I was checking in, the person in front of me couldn't hear the person at the front desk, she had to come around the desk to yell in the guests ear, and she had to do the same for me. Reception should be in a quieter place, or move the loud music somewhere else.

As I was leaving the room and walking down the hallway it is entirely windows on one side that face toward Stanley Park and the north shore mountains. It's a fantastic view. So why frost the windows to block most of the view? At first I thought they were just dirty and then I realized that it was intentional. Why block a great asset to the hotel's location? It's not like I'm looking out at a loading dock and dumpster.

The room was great, the beds the most comfortable I've ever slept in a hotel, but overall the hotel seems to be let down by the details of the design. It's the little things that prevent it from being truly great, although I suppose to be fair I had great expectations since it is a new hotel and clearly aimed to be among the best in Vancouver.

I think next time I'm in Vancouver I'll be staying at the Hotel Vancouver. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they do well what they set out to do. It's positioned as an elegant heritage hotel and it carries that off perfectly.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.9MM, Fairmont PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Is the pool open yet?
Interested in this question as well. Looks like "June", based on their website.

I'm supposed to stay there next week, but will postpone my visit if the pool isn't open (I visit Van about once a month for business).
Old May 30, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
First off I can confirm that the pool is not open yet as I checked in last night

Secondly, I must state that I do not often have complaints when I travel as I do not expect to be treated like royality however I must say so far here I've been extremely disappointed

I am using a suite upgrade as I will be here for 5 nights. I confirmed twice (once with central res and once directly with the hotel, just last week) that I would be getting a Harbour View Suite, with balcony and and actual view of the harbour...so far I have neither. They put me in what is apparently called a "Harbour View Suite" yet I can only see a small sliver of the harbour b/t the conference centre and the other side of the hotel. I also requested a high floor as another FTer said low floors would have obstructed views b/c of the conference centre. The gentleman at in-house res said that only if I was on the lowest (3rd-4th floors). Once again disappointment as I'm about half way up and still no view. I'm actually on a xx23 layout room which is on the back half of the hotel but angled toward the harbour

I also called central res last week to confirm the useage of 2x$50 hotel food/spa credit I received while flying Air Canada last fall. Central res said yes not a problem to use Mr. epost77. At check-in, the desk attendant had no idea what I was taking about but said leave the voucher with them and they would look into it. Ten minutes later I receive a call from the manager on duty saying the $100 credit would be applied...now this morning I find a note under my door appoligizing that this hotel is not part of the Air Canada Program so no useage of the 2x$50 credit.

As I like to end on a positive note:

The room itself is absolutely amazing, as are the fitness facilities. As well, I'm now told I will be moved to a new room...heres to hoping it is what I was originally told I would be getting^
Old May 30, 2010, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thankīs for your update, epost77!

Iīll be returning to the Pacific Rim in a few weeks and have also applied a suite upgrade cert, have been able to confirm a harbour view suite and asked for a suite with a balcony.

If you happen to be moved to a suite with a great view and a balcony, could you please PM me the room #?

Btw, have you had lunch/dinner at any of the restaurants? As I didnīt during my last stay, I would be interested in other FTerīs experience.

Thankīs!
Old May 30, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Thankīs for your update, epost77!

Iīll be returning to the Pacific Rim in a few weeks and have also applied a suite upgrade cert, have been able to confirm a harbour view suite and asked for a suite with a balcony.

If you happen to be moved to a suite with a great view and a balcony, could you please PM me the room #?

Btw, have you had lunch/dinner at any of the restaurants? As I didnīt during my last stay, I would be interested in other FTerīs experience.

Thankīs!
Haven't had the chance to enjoy of any restaurants yet...if I do I will let you know my thoughts.

I am being moved but the room is currenlty occupied so I don't know what the view is like yet althought the front desk said "you will love this room"...I hope so but I guess we'll see later today
Old May 30, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
We are currently on the last morning of a 5 night stay here in room 1106 and have to tell about our room. Used a suite upgrade and our room faces the convention centre just high enough to see over the centre and a great view over looking the pool area to one side and of course the jaw-dropping chairmans suite. The suite is beautiful. 1 four piece ensuite and 1 three piece off the sitting room, large dining area and large master and good sized balcony.

As stated in other threads..the lights are confusing, but I've given in to tapping the top led to illuminate the room then worked my way down. I think most feel they are malfunctioning because there is a delay before they turn on/off.

Have done breakfast buffet 3 times (maybe 4th this am) and it has a great selection of bacon, pork or turkey sausage, omlet station, scrambled or boiled egg, pancake, french toast, eggs benny, fresh sliced fruit, yogurt parfait, toasts, cereals and fresh juices.

Sushi bar in the lounge is good too !!!

Another good sushi restaraunt is located across the street called MIKU. We sat at the sushi bar and chatted with Kazuhiro (the chef) while he prepared dishes, some of which he adds a twist of smoke flavour with a piece of wood and propane torch !! Bring your wallet though $$$$ !!!!

Will definitly return to this property
Old May 30, 2010, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricski64
We are currently on the last morning of a 5 night stay here in room 1106 and have to tell about our room. Used a suite upgrade and our room faces the convention centre just high enough to see over the centre and a great view over looking the pool area to one side and of course the jaw-dropping chairmans suite. The suite is beautiful. 1 four piece ensuite and 1 three piece off the sitting room, large dining area and large master and good sized balcony.
Sounds pretty nice, is that a Poolview Suite (800sq. ft. King) youīre staying in?

Originally Posted by ricski64
Have done breakfast buffet 3 times (maybe 4th this am) and it has a great selection of bacon, pork or turkey sausage, omlet station, scrambled or boiled egg, pancake, french toast, eggs benny, fresh sliced fruit, yogurt parfait, toasts, cereals and fresh juices.
Sounds like a great breakfast!
Couldnīt find the menu on the Fairmont website, so may I ask how much does the breakfast buffet cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.