Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:17 pm

Just finished another 5 nights stay at FPR. booked regular room then called FPC to use suite upgrade certificate, the agent confirmed me in a Harbor suite

at check in, the agent welcomed me back and further upgraded me to a signature suite. Thats ultra

this suite is Huge (1200 sqft). very expensive views of coal Harbor, Stanley park and mountains ( North vancouver). also full pool view. on the dining table I found a welcome note from the director of operations and some sweets. later i got a personal welcome note from the GM with mixed nuts. I invited a friend to dinner, it was a gorgeous day, we spent the whole time in the Balcony. the food was excellent and not too expensive.

i only wish one thing. FPR please don't change.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:05 am

KSA Nice upgrade once again!

I just had another 3 night stay here and can confirm the Pacific Rim is truly in a class by itself in Vancouver. The hard product is better then Four Seasons and I wasn't too thrilled with the small suite my friend had at the Shangri La I saw a few months ago. (Pool at Shangri-La is wonderful though)

This stay I spent lots of time at the htoel bar. The menu has changed a bit since opening and even though the oyster count may be down overall there are more choices for bites to eat. It was great to see my pal Colin Bullock play in the lounge and noticed they put benches along the wall so many ppl passing by sit down and listen to the nightly live music in the bar. I did go to Oru but just had an appie but the set menu sounded delcious and was well priced imho.

The pool was nice but deserted, cabanas cost around $75 for 4 hours or $125 for the day but only seat 5-6 ppl. The pool closes at 10:00pm and I noticed one of the staff members enforced this.

I was very lucky and got a ride with the BMW service almost anytime. Perhaps it's because the staff here have recognized me from before and I'm actually on a first name basis with many of them by now. Also my generous tip must help too.

Lastly I still don't understand the ppl who have problems with the touch panels for lights and curtains. It works great for me, much easier then doing it manually.

Lastly I don't think I'm the only person who has taken a fancy to this hotel since rates are usually significantly higher then the other Fairmonts in Vancouver and I regularly see they are charging more then 4 seasons and Shangri-La too. Because of this even my upcoming stay in a couple weeks will have to return to Hotel Vancouver.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Seems KSA_USA and I missed each other, I stayed at the Pacific Rim for a few days (checked out on July 9) and once again had a great time!

Quite a few staff even recognized me from my stay in April and welcomed me back, pretty impressive!

Upgraded to a poolview suite which was amazing:
living room, bedroom, two full bathrooms, butlers pantry (sink, large fridge + freezer), 200 sq.ft. patio.

The pool starts getting busy at around 12.30, snacks and drinks are served from 1p.m. and are very reasonable priced (cocktail and salads about $)-10 each)

This definitely will remain my first choice in Vancouver!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:16 am

We just checked out today after a stay in a lovely suite. In fact this was the nicest of any room/suite we have ever stayed in, and we have stayed in everywhere from various Four Seasons to a 10' x 10' concrete cell with a garden tap in the courtyard for a shower.

Last night my spouse phoned to arrange a wake up call for this morning. The lady who set up our wake up call asked if we wanted complimentary tea, coffee or juice in the morning. I had never heard of this at any other Fairmonts so a had my wife ask her if free juice was a standard amenity here. The answer was, yes, for platinums, but they would only offer it if you phoned and asked for a wake up call. ?????

I am not sure if this is some un-advertised amenity or if there was some mistake made. If it is an amenity offered to platinums, they need to mention it at check-in.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I am not sure if this is some un-advertised amenity or if there was some mistake made. If it is an amenity offered to platinums, they need to mention it at check-in.
I´ve only been offered this at some properties when staying on the Gold floor, but never heard of it as a Platinum amenity.

Must check when I return to the Pacific Rim the next time. Would sure be a nice amenity! ^
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I noticed that at the Orchid too.. stays of ten days or longer, you get fresh fruit plate replenished everyday. Some of these unadvertised amenities are nice touches.. wish they would let us know ahead of time of these bonuses.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:45 pm

Here are a few more details about my stay. Not in the way of a complaint but more in the way of a big Fairmont fan wanting them to polish their product.

The room itself (a large 1 BR suite with dining table, living room, 2 bathrooms, and balcony with outside table and chairs) was exceptionally nice, no complaints there. The light switch panels worked properly this time with one exception. The living room drapes would open and close at random intervals of their own accord. I was not sure whether someone else operating their drapes somehow triggered the controls to our drapes. One time it seemed as though the TV remote control caused the drapes to open, although it may have been just a coincidence that the drapes opened at the same time as I used the TV remote. In any case I would wake up around 7:00 AM and read the paper in the living room, and while I was reading every 10 or 15 minutes the drapes would spontaneously open and close. Fortunately this did not happen in the bedroom or we would have had an issue if it had happened at the wrong moment.

My biggest gripe about this place is the lobby/lounge area. The place is LOUD. I am not one for capitalizing my posts but LOUD is the only description I can come up with. Loud live music, loud recorded music, just loud. After arriving late at night, having a drink and snack in the lounge was not a relaxing or pleasant experience. And coming and going from the hotel passing through the lobby by the lounge/bar area we were blasted by noise every time.

I did very much appreciate being able to step out of the hotel, cross a plaza and be right on the seawall for a morning jog.

I have long been a fan of the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. Although the Fairmont Pacific Rim is more modern, has more spacious and fancy rooms and suites, newer and higher quality furnishings, and is all around more impressive than the Hotel Vancouver, I prefer the Hotel Vancouver because the lobby and lounge/bar area are quiet and relaxing, the staff have found the right balance between good service and a casual relaxed approach, and I feel like I am at home when I am there.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´ve only been offered this at some properties when staying on the Gold floor, but never heard of it as a Platinum amenity.

Must check when I return to the Pacific Rim the next time. Would sure be a nice amenity! ^
I was offered this at the Empress in Victoria, I am platinum but not staying on the gold floor.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: AC SE
So I had a confirmed upgrade to suite for my mother. She was going to vancouver for the Michael Buble concert and so I said I would get her a special room in the the new Pacific Rim as she had not been. I had previously sent her to the waterfront and the Hotel Vancouver. Well upon check in she had been downgraded from a confirmed Habour View Signature Suite with Balcony to a deluxe room. Upon hearing she didnt have the room I had had on previous stays I called and was told they had a problem with the suite. Funny thing is the room was booked 90 days ago. Talking to front desk manager she states the hotel had most people extend their stays in suites so none were available. Makes me think in reality the hotel did not want to honour the rate and the upgrade for a platinum member.

Everyone I have sent to this hotel and every time I have stayed has had an issue. Floading tubs when empty into bedroom, no clean up of the room, mischarged, lastly being the above. I think I will go back to the Hotel Vancouver with its more consistent service.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
I had previously sent her to the waterfront and the Hotel Vancouver. Well upon check in she had been downgraded from a confirmed Habour View Signature Suite with Balcony to a deluxe room.
Everyone I have sent to this hotel and every time I have stayed has had an issue. Floading tubs when empty into bedroom, no clean up of the room, mischarged, lastly being the above. I think I will go back to the Hotel Vancouver with its more consistent service.
for the downgrade

I assume we´re talking about the 1200 sq.ft. Signature Harbour View Suite? And she got a 400 sq.ft. Deluxe room? Wow!

May I ask how who you contacted to confirm the upgrade to the suite in advance? The hotel´s policy is to only confirm upgrades to Poolview suites and Harbour View Suites (800sq.ft.), though some FTers have been upgraded to a Signature Suite at check-in if available.

Fortunately I´ve never had anything but amazing service (except for one check-in staff) at the Pacific Rim during my two stays this year!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
300rwhp.. was the reservation made under your name? If it was made under your mother's, and the suite upgrade transferred (which is within terms & conditions for Platinum Members), then the hotel may have knowingly bumped the reservation down (if it was Premier suite upgrade, then the hotel would have had a right to bump her down, as the Premier suite upgrade certs are not transferrable).

Bit alarming as this has never happened to a Premier/Platinum Member I know of.. I've heard of hotels being full, and the front desk sending people to other hotels.. but when it comes to a Premier/Platinum Member getting bumped down, that's pretty unbelievable.. If you have written proof that the confirmation was indeed a harbour view signature suite, provide that to the hotel, and likely the stay should be complimentary for the inconvenience.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:20 pm

Under her name and I am platinum. Yes it was confirmed. This hotel seems to be chasing the dollar at every turn and missing the basics of customer service.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:33 am
Suspended

Under her name and I am platinum. Yes it was confirmed. This hotel seems to be chasing the dollar at every turn and missing the basics of customer service.
I assume you have written confirmation or a document showing your booking.. I would e-mail/fax this to Pac Rim front desk, speak with the front desk manager and deal with the problem until its resolved to your satisfaction.. It's surreal to have a written confirmation of specific room type, show up and get a downgrade.. especially a Platinum member.. you would be doing FPC members a huge favor by resolving this, to prevent this from happening to others. Nobody would expect to experience this.

Your Plat suite upgrade cert is transferable to your immediate family per T&C, so they have an obligation to complete the reservation.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:40 pm

So the hotel offered one night comp and no need to use a cert for the upgrade to a deluxe room. They are sticking with the story that the suite was not in service which still seems highly suspect to me. I think in the end I am just going to be done with this hotel. Previous calls to the FOH manager have gone unanswered from my last visit. Maybe booking a FAF rate is why my mothers room was downgraded. But to be honest I think the hotel bumped her for a higher paying customer.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:16 pm
Suspended

So the hotel offered one night comp and no need to use a cert for the upgrade to a deluxe room. They are sticking with the story that the suite was not in service which still seems highly suspect to me. I think in the end I am just going to be done with this hotel. Previous calls to the FOH manager have gone unanswered from my last visit. Maybe booking a FAF rate is why my mothers room was downgraded. But to be honest I think the hotel bumped her for a higher paying customer.
How long was the stay? I'm surprised they didn't offer the suite that you booked.. I would work up the ladder to the Executive office next and talk to the Hotel Manager.. don't give up.. this is a legit beef.. bring up the issue until you are satisfied with the remedy, regardless if you're staying at the hotel in the future or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.