Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
‘Coal Harbour living room’ one of the city’s hot spots

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/C...981/story.html

My experience with hotel lounges, by and large, can be summed up in one word — boring.

As someone who often arrives to check into a hotel after a long day of travel, more often than not I’m joined for a nibble and nightcap by the glass-polishing bartender right out of central casting and the odd fellow traveller hunkered down in the gloom.

There are exceptions of course, like the time I rolled into Casa Del Mar in Santa Monica around 11 p.m. to be greeted by a packed lounge grooving to an incredible jazz trio. I didn’t even go up to my room after check-in, instead sending my bag up with a porter and finding a bar-side stool to take in the performance and the SoCal cool ambience. It is one of my great travel memories of 2012.

I was reminded of it on a recent evening at one of Vancouver’s newest hotels, the Fairmont Pacific Rim, as a I sat in the Lobby Lounge and watched as travel-weary guests arrived to check-in only to be captivated by the goings-on at the open lounge a few metres away from reception.

Live music six nights a week featuring two different up-and-coming local acts each night provides the high-energy soundtrack, the menu offers some of the best sushi in town and the design provides a one-of-a-kind hotel experience.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Booked an FHR reservation in April, booked into a Harbor View Suite. Rate was $320/night, Fairmont.com had $360+/night rate. Looking forward to my stay! Anyone know what you get for breakfast via FHR?

Last edited by will5404; Jan 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by will5404
Booked an FHR reservation in April, booked into a Harbor View Suite. Rate was $320/night, Fairmont.com had $360+/night rate. Looking forward to my stay! Anyone know what you get for breakfast via FHR?
I had 4 nights booked in March, but then booked via this link (https://www.fairmont.com/promotions/selects/ for a 3rd night free and then one FHR night as my last night so I get the guaranteed late check out.

The third night wasn't showing as free but a call to Fairmont Reservations fixed it and my booking shows the amended rate. Amex FHR only have a 4th night free offer up to the end of Jan. I hope they might extend it shortly. Worth keeping an eye on it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Thanks for this. Need to book a hotel in Vancouver, and like Fairmont, and this offer could be just the ticket!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:03 pm

just checked out of PacRim, i was on a FHR rate + free night coupon+ suite upgrade. Checked in and assigned a harbor view suite. I felt a little let down that this hotel names this suite on a low floor a Harbor view suite, i feel an appropriate name for this suite would be a partial harbor view suite, the full on view from the suite is of the convention center roof, with views of the harbor on either side of the roof.

Once i got over the view, all other expectations were met and exceed. FHR continental breakfast consists of the cold side of the buffet, or a $10 upgrade for full buffet(i had the full buffet, wife had the cold side buffet, signed the bill to the room and was not charged the extra $10) In room continental bfast is also an option. All staff were friendly and hospitable.

Handwritten welcome note for Platinum, welcome amenity, exercise gear and shoes, all waiting in the suite. On booking i thought i ordered a crib, but it was not in the suite waiting for me, a call to Royal Service, and a crib was delivered in no time with a smile.

it was a great stay.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by reggie108
just checked out of PacRim, i was on a FHR rate + free night coupon+ suite upgrade. Checked in and assigned a harbor view suite. I felt a little let down that this hotel names this suite on a low floor a Harbor view suite, i feel an appropriate name for this suite would be a partial harbor view suite, the full on view from the suite is of the convention center roof, with views of the harbor on either side of the roof.
At least the convention centre roof is a green one...

Still think the suite upgrade and all the FHR benefits provide great value for what one is paying per night... The suite is fairly spacious and the Fairmont Pac Rim is a great hotel. They tried to rename and recategorize the suites since their opening but you really can't nitpick at those things. It's just the harbour which is nothing special... look up at the mountains
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:54 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by reggie108

Once i got over the view, all other expectations were met and exceed. FHR continental breakfast consists of the cold side of the buffet, or a $10 upgrade for full buffet(i had the full buffet, wife had the cold side buffet, signed the bill to the room and was not charged the extra $10) In room continental bfast is also an option. All staff were friendly and hospitable.

Handwritten welcome note for Platinum, welcome amenity, exercise gear and shoes, all waiting in the suite. On booking i thought i ordered a crib, but it was not in the suite waiting for me, a call to Royal Service, and a crib was delivered in no time with a smile.

it was a great stay.
What room did you have? We had 806/7. It was nice, but like you said the view is slightly limited.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
What room did you have? We had 806/7. It was nice, but like you said the view is slightly limited.
i got 906 one floor above you, without the 07 connecting room.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:43 pm

Th X07 connecting room would most likely never be rented out unless you booked the X06 base room. X07 is super small (under 300sqft and no bathtub, shower only) It does work perfectly for a child/in law/friend.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by xray
At least the convention centre roof is a green one...

Still think the suite upgrade and all the FHR benefits provide great value for what one is paying per night... The suite is fairly spacious and the Fairmont Pac Rim is a great hotel. They tried to rename and recategorize the suites since their opening but you really can't nitpick at those things. It's just the harbour which is nothing special... look up at the mountains
like i said i had a great time at this hotel, but i stand by my comments as to the deceiving view description from the lower floors of the hotel. Other than this hotels management, i don't think many people would agree with the description of "deluxe harbor view suite" from 906. Maybe "eco view suite"(of the green roof), or "Partial harbor/partial green roof view" or "Deluxe convention center view" would be more appropriate.

its all about managing expectations:

if i had a booking that said, "you've been upgraded to an "partial harbor view suite" i would have been very grateful and excited about my stay.

but,

my reservation said "Deluxe harbor view suite" and i was expecting something along those lines, but upon arriving to the room, was disappointed.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Has anyone stayed in a Harbour View Suite by chance?

Just curious: Do the patios have a fireplace? While the Poolview suites definitely do have a patio with fire place, it seems that the Harbour View suite patios donŽt have a fireplace.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Has anyone stayed in a Harbour View Suite by chance?

Just curious: Do the patios have a fireplace? While the Poolview suites definitely do have a patio with fire place, it seems that the Harbour View suite patios donŽt have a fireplace.
They do not have fireplaces, they also do NOT have lights or electricity of any source on the patios. Not sure about Gold Suites, but I suspect they are of the same electrical layout as the rest of the tower.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do not have fireplaces, they also do NOT have lights or electricity of any source on the patios. Not sure about Gold Suites, but I suspect they are of the same electrical layout as the rest of the tower.
Thanks for confirming. Guess IŽll have to pray for good weather for my next stay in spring. Or maybe I should ask for a patio heater in the "other requests" box.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for confirming. Guess IŽll have to pray for good weather for my next stay in spring. Or maybe I should ask for a patio heater in the "other requests" box.
Or pay to upgrade to the "Chariman's Suite" it has heaters and more.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or pay to upgrade to the "Chariman's Suite" it has heaters and more.
That would be nice. But having the choice between one night in the OwnerŽs Suite and 40-50 nights in a standard suite I think IŽll stick with my current approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.