Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aw
Listing of Trip Reports Written About VX / Virgin America
NOTE: Wikis are community property; please help update the information in this wiki.

Just post a link to your Trip Report, or write a mini report of your Virgin America trip in this thread so a link can be added here.

JFK
LAS
SAN
SEA
SFO
YYZ
General
Virgin America: remove the makeup and you'll find ugly
Virgin America - Lots of hype, not much substance
Which is Better: United Economy Plus or Virgin America Main Cabin?
Is Virgin America New Y Seat Better Than SQ New Y?
Goodbye TED!

(Thanks, AZ Travels the World, for re-titling this thread. Please add your links below, to Trip Reports or VX mini report threads. ^)

Last updated 27 Jul 2010 by BiziBB.

Thanks to BiziBB, who started this thread, and ShortHairFrancis.
Print Wikipost

VX Trip Reports [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Have a look at this thread, in Trip Reports.

Aren’t you a little young for RTW trips already? (VX F/LH F/LX F/TG F/CX J/QF J/AA F) by Short hair Francis, in Trip Reports. Great pics; it feels like you are there.

Mostly F, per the title and losing one's VX-ginity on the first post. Floozy!

Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My recent SFO-LAS-SFO trip report...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...las-vegas.html
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
deleted
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:41 pm

Lax-phl 7/13-15

My brother and his wife had a baby and I was going for the weekend to meet her. I wasn't going to post a TR, but the return had both wx and mtc issues which I will outline below.

7/13 VX 126 LAX-PHL 3:55-11:55 A320 Air Colbert

This flight had maybe 80 people on it: 3 in F, 5 in MCS. All of the live TV worked on the ground, but the second we got in the air the only channel that came in was Disney. Oh well, I read and played Mah-Johng while listening to the custom made play list from all of the music they have.

Service was typical VX - I full push/pull with BOB, and the rest is via RED or the call button. We cruised at 38 the entire way with NO tail wind. Soft landing at PHL and a quick taxi to E5. This is the only RON VX has in Philly.

7/15 VX 127 PHL-LAX 7:55-10:55 A320 SF Giants Themed Plane

This flight had 3 open seats in F, 6 in MCS and 6 in Y, including the one next to me in row 21. The inbound from SFO was on-time and we boarded and pushed on time for the 5 hour flight. We get in a decent sized line for 8pm in PHL and then the lightning starts and both engines are shut down. PIC Frank comes on the horn and says airport has shut down all westbound departures due to weather, and they don't know how long it will be. He turns off the seat belt and PED signs. Everyone settles in.

30 minutes later he comes back and says he has no update. F/A's do a bottled water and biscoff run.

About 45 minutes later (1:15 after pushing) he comes back on and says we've been given a new Southern route and will be moving soon. Engines power up. I hear the engines throttle up and back a few times but we don't move. PIC Frank comes back on and says the brakes have frozen and we need to get towed to the gate. They also never retracted the flaps from take-off setting. (I actually think we got zapped.) The only problem is it's still stormy and the ramp is closed. They don't know how long it will be closed! F/A's now do a full push-pull service as we wait another 30 minutes for the ramp to re-open and the tow.

At this point I'm skeptical that we'll go. The crew is fresh from day-rest, so they have a 16 hour duty period, which means if we go, we just have to land in LAX by 11:30am Monday morning.

Nobody else on the plane seems concerned. Everyone is watching tv or movies. While waiting for the tow Frank comes back on and says they're going to swap our plane for the LAX RON, which was running 90 minutes late and scheduled to arrive at 12:30am. Scheduled departure would be around 1:30am.

We get back to the gate and the second the seat belt sign is off, I'm up, grab my roll-aboard out of the row 19 overhead, and bolt to the front. I ran over 1 lady and was the 2nd off the plane. I was expecting 1 VX agent to handle this full boat, and I decided that if we were going I was going to upgrade to F so I could sleep if not rest for 5 hours.

Much to my surprise the station manager and 4 additional agents were at the gate. They quickly told everyone the arrival time of the inbound, that TSA was closed so not to leave the sterile area, that the only food open was in the B-C food court, and to leave a cell phone number they could call if you wandered off near boarding time. Many people asked about going in the morning, and they were offered the choice of the 2 morning flights with no re-booking fee, but no hotel vouchers. I think the station manager told me 10 people max rebooked. I heard one woman ask for the contract of carriage. Being first in line I got my upgrade. Once everyone was off 2 agents went down to baggage claim to deal with the offloaded people and their bags, the other 2 agents and the station manager stayed at the gate the entire time updating the progress of the inbound, answering questions, passing out the F/C headsets for free. (Do you think US would do this?)

126 arrived at 12:30 and by 1:30 we're all aboard and ready to go. There's a slight delay for bags below. They announced that the movies were comped (and I think the food was too).

We finally take off at 2am EDT - which happened to be our scheduled arrival time at LAX! The seat belt sign went off at 22 and was off until we hit 22 on the way down. The flight was mostly smooth, with almost continuous light chop the entire way across. We had a light show over Western PA, Indiana and the Grand Canyon. I did my best to sleep up front. The VX F seat is a mega-recliner almost like the US 757 Envoy seat, but not as cradling. There are pre-set buttons for take-off, recline and relax, and you can manually adjust as well. There's a footrest, winged head-rest and microphone type personal reading lamp. There's also a massage function. My feet were frozen the entire time. We were offered snacks up front as the caterer had left for the night by the time the new plane came in. It was fine because I just wanted to sleep - which I did for about 2 hours. The rest of the time I just rested with my eyes closed.

We landed to the East on RWY 6R (usually the 7's are used for arrivals and the 24's for departures during overnight hours. I guess they had pity on us) just after 4am PDT and quickly got to the gate. I was at home in my bed in The San Fernando Valley at 4:50.

This morning I open my email and there's an email from VX apologizing for the terrible experience and offering $100 in my travel bank. Now that's what I call customer service.

All in all both the on board crew and the ground staff in PHL did a fantastic job. I came to find out that all of the ground staff stays until the last flight out is wheel-up.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:35 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by phllax
...We get back to the gate and the second the seat belt sign is off, I'm up, grab my roll-aboard out of the row 19 overhead, and bolt to the front. I ran over 1 lady and was the 2nd off the plane. I was expecting 1 VX agent to handle this full boat, and I decided that if we were going I was going to upgrade to F so I could sleep if not rest for 5 hours. ....

I'm sorry. Not to rag on you personally, but it saddens me so much every time I'm reminded how "ME ME ME" our society has downgraded itself to.

Did you not see 18 rows of people ahead of you ?
Do you honestly think they were any less (or more) inconvenienced than you were ?
Do you think they enjoy waiting in a long line and would think nothing of letting you go ahead because you don't like to wait, or that you're more entitled to an upgrade than others
Please tell me that you did not literally "run over 1 lady" in your attempt to be 1st in line.

The "good" in me wants to believe your comments were made "tongue in cheek"
My apologies for getting off the topic of "trip reports". Likewise, perhaps your future trip reports should focus more on the airline itself.

Originally Posted by phllax
... Being first in line I got my upgrade. ...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:59 pm

LAX-DFW on 4/13/13

Recently had the pleasure of flying VX in F again . This time it was on a 2.5 hour mid-con
from LAX-DFW. Grabbing a seat in Main Cabin or MCS suits me fine on most
flights. Though, since I figured loads would be lighter on a Saturday, I planned
to snag an upgrade at T-6. Luckily, there were 6 of 8 seats up for grabs so I
pounced on one . At departure we left with 6 pax in F so I assume most were late
upgrades too. Now for a few details about the trip:

Seat: I chose 1D at check-in since 2D/F were occupied. Still I found my seat to be comfy
and fully functional. Legroom seemed a bit limited due to the wall cutout in front of row 1.
Nobody occupied 1F which made it nice!

Crew: This crew was great all around. From pilots to FA's they were stellar . The lead FA
was chipper and was attentive to all pax. Its crews lik these that bring me back to VX.

Pre-Departure Beverage- Mimosas, champagne, everything seemed available. I went with
a rum and diet coke.

Meal & Snacks- The lunch and dinner menu offers many choices. They are served on
flights after 10 am. Two items are usually available and vary by flight. Our choices were the
Seared Salmon or Stuffed Cabbage Korma. I chose the salmon. It came with lemon risotto,
French green beans and a bread roll. The appetizer was a tapas duo with tomato and basil
salad. A salted chocolate brownie was served for dessert. Delicious meal IMO! The FA
offered refills and was very attentive. He even made two passes with a snack basket
before our descent which had cookies, popcorn, chips and more. Grabbed a cookie box
but couldn't down another bite. Others seemed to take the cookies and were offered milk/coffee. Overall, this was impressed with the amount of food offered on this fairly quick flight ^.

Entertainment: Switched back and forth between an MLB Game on the TV and a movie. Satellite signal faded shortly but soon came returned. The remote was a bit scuffed up though still operational.

Overall, I highly recommend the VX experience in F! Can't wait to try it again, maybe on
my next flight to IAD . Thanks for reading.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
world of difference SFO-SAN and SAN-SFO

I won't go through the things that seem the same for every flight, just a few anomalies. I haven't flown VX that much - maybe 8-10 times in all.
SFO-SAN - 7 AM - in F, no choice of any snacks or meal boxes, just a light breakfast plate with a tiny spoonful of greek yogurt, fruit, some kind of breakfast bar. I got a whole can of sparkling water. I had been looking forward to the caramel corn so was disappointed. Music and entertainment was cut off WAY early in the descent - I'm used to UA gate to gate entertainment so that was a bummer. Flight crew helpful, pleasant, welcoming.

SAN-SFO. Nastiest flight crew I've had on any domestic trip over the past year. Really surly to everyone; downright rude when one of the FA''s brought a cup of coffee to me by mistake. I said I didn't order it and she said, "So dump it!" I silently wondered - where am I going to dump it? I asked if she could take it and she replied "FAA regulations won't let us pick up garbage during a meal service." Uhhh you just put the coffee down, you can't pick it up again?
But it wasn't just me , she and the other F/A were being nasty to everyone. At least we did have the full complement of snacks.

I still like VX and a bad day on VX is like a good day on UA domestic but i hope that F/A's being burnt out like on UA isn't the wave of the future
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by squeakr
SAN-SFO. Nastiest flight crew I've had on any domestic trip over the past year. Really surly to everyone; downright rude when one of the FA''s brought a cup of coffee to me by mistake. I said I didn't order it and she said, "So dump it!" I silently wondered - where am I going to dump it? I asked if she could take it and she replied "FAA regulations won't let us pick up garbage during a meal service." Uhhh you just put the coffee down, you can't pick it up again?
But it wasn't just me , she and the other F/A were being nasty to everyone. At least we did have the full complement of snacks.

I still like VX and a bad day on VX is like a good day on UA domestic but i hope that F/A's being burnt out like on UA isn't the wave of the future
I may be alone in this, but I think that FA should be fired. I'm trying VX F in the fall on DCA-DAL, and if my flight is anything like this, it will be a one and only trial.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
I won't go through the things that seem the same for every flight, just a few anomalies. I haven't flown VX that much - maybe 8-10 times in all.
SFO-SAN - 7 AM - in F, no choice of any snacks or meal boxes, just a light breakfast plate with a tiny spoonful of greek yogurt, fruit, some kind of breakfast bar. I got a whole can of sparkling water. I had been looking forward to the caramel corn so was disappointed. Music and entertainment was cut off WAY early in the descent - I'm used to UA gate to gate entertainment so that was a bummer. Flight crew helpful, pleasant, welcoming.

I believe you can still get a snack like the caramel corn when in F by ordering from the RED screen. Done it before and have had success if you place your order when the ordering system is available after departure.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mr27
I believe you can still get a snack like the caramel corn when in F by ordering from the RED screen. Done it before and have had success if you place your order when the ordering system is available after departure.
It's been two weeks since I've been in VX F, but it wouldn't let me access the food section of the IFE. It asked me to ask my FA for what's available.

I did get a paper menu with a list of all snacks, though.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:12 pm

Just a heads up to my video trip report for First Class LAX MCO. I hope you enjoy it - quite a good flight
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Omg we are in VX for the first time as a family of 3. I'm blown away. Sfo Virgin is a million times better than our former ual. OMG
Admittedly it's VX F but the whole t2 experience is way more pleasant than ual t3
Thank you VX!!!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I know! I flew SFO-IAD a few days ago in F, and was served filet mignon for lunch on top of coconut curried rice. The filet was a perfect medium rare. Hands down the best steak I've had in the air!

VX will get all my transcon business from here on out! Hopefully they'll start flying IAD-DAL so I'll have additional connection options.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had the same filet albeit Medium. Still nice plus it's just so pleasant. I really cannot believe the whole VX sfo experience. We don't have Pre yet but priority (F etc) tsa is nice.
But sfo t2 is way more calm and pleasant. I realize there are fewer Pax compared to ual in t3, but I have fewer travel needs so Other airlines work better than ual. I was silver/gold with United for 20 or so years. I'm happy to have zero real status for now as it's just paid F (discount).
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just flew SFO/ord trips for July and glad to be home. The ord-SFO leg was full and we were in paid F (discounted). I noticed that all 8 F seats were available for checkin. When we were at gate, there were announcements about available upgrades for the very full flight.
And when we did take off, they were still selling an upgrade for $300 (per a quick conversation I overheard between flight attendant and a pax), and 1 of 8 seats in F was empty.
And I was quite impressed that VX did early boarding for pax in wheelchairs. Very sweet. I thought they also did early boarding for families but I didn't see it for this flight.
Lunch was a delicious paella or saffron noodles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.