Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America followup report LAX-SFO-SEA + Dark A319 + pix link

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Virgin America followup report LAX-SFO-SEA + Dark A319 + pix link

Dear all,

Just wanna give a short check ride report on my return flight from Los Angeles International to Seattle via San Francisco International. My trip involves flying the famous “dark” plane, visiting the Virgin Clubhouse at SFO, and two very nice flights. Not going to say much, except highlighting some details about the flights! For those who don’t read words, you can just click on the photo link below!

March 29, 2008
VX 848 LAX-SFO Lv1035 Arr1155 Airbus A319-100 N524VA “Dark Plane”
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqKv4

Virgin Clubhouse at San Francisco International
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqKtw

VX 738 SFO-SEA Lv1425 Arr1625 Airbus A320-200 N632VA
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqKro

Check-in:
Virgin America’s check-in at Tom Bradley is located at Terminal Six next to United’s Premium check-in lobby, and the staffs are as friendly as usual, and now two additional kiosks are located at the first class line to speed up the check-in process – I assume! The agent was helpful and efficient and was soon off to the gate. Security line was not busy at this mid-morning hour and I was at the gate five minutes later.

Gate:
Nothing much to say, but very stylish! It also looks like that VX is adding another gate soon – 69, and I assume it is going to support the soon to be added Seattle nonstop flights and more expansion. The gate agents are pretty busy as our flight was going out pretty full this morning. But I witnessed a really nice act by the agent and the captain. The agent saw a little boy with his father traveling and then asked the pilot to take him to have a quick look at the cockpit before general boarding. The captain was so friendly, and it was a nice gesture, and seeing the little boy waving to the gate agents was very cute. Something that I would never see on an American Airlines or United Airlines gate, as the agents are scrambling all times. That is why Virgin America is different and why I will continue to support this airline.

Plane:
Got the “Dark” Plane! The cabin separators are removed (or rather not installed) and first class seats have to be manually adjusted by the F/A. My main concern is actually the lack of divider between the galley and the cabin, and the first class F/As make an extra effort to make sure everything is secured, but I have to say that is the area that most bothered me.

F/As:
Really go the extra miles to make the flights better. First class got the usual snack box with soba noodle salad, herb marinated Portobello Mushrooms, and a really nice Pecan Flan. Economy class got free Archer Farm’s cranberry trail mix bars, and beverages are served the classic way. No ordering through TV Screen. The flight was an hour and a minute long.

On-time performance:
Due to ATC and low ceilings earlier at San Francisco, our inbound flight arrived late, and despite door was closed at 10:46am, we were given a wheel off time late at 11:10am. We subsequently landed at 12:11pm – fifteen minutes behind schedule, and parked at gate A1A at 12:17pm. Not too bad! But I guess that is the biggest problem operating in and out of SFO.

Compensation:
That is more disappointing aspect! From past reports at FT and various sites, passengers received $25 travel credit in coach cabin and $50 travel certificate in first class, but on this flight, we each got one coupon good for a choice of a free movie, free Premium TV episode, or a free drink on a future flight, which is really inadequate at best. Yes, Virgin is aimed to bring you from Point A to Point B, but the RED entertainment system is its main focal point and main reason for folks flying VX. I think some travel credits should be given, and I will email VX about it. I will keep an update!

Check in at SFO:
Well I did not need to check in again at SFO, but since I wanted to visit the Clubhouse, I had to purchase a pass at the first class counter, and this enthusiastic agent was just fabulous. She was smiling and asking how I was, and was just a perfect example of what a check-in agent should be, and something that not even Alaska Airlines can accomplish these days. She even offered to walk me towards the Clubhouse, which was appreciated.

Virgin Clubhouse:
I was alone at the Clubhouse, as the Virgin’s flight to London Heathrow was not departing till later in the evening. The staffs were busy chatting among themselves, instead of actively asking if I need a drink. Anyway, once the lunch hours began, they were better. The lounge was super nice, but does it worth the $40? It really depends on how long you stay. I personally will love to visit the lounge if I have more than an hour and half, and also I don’t drink much, so I will use the lounge when real food is served, which is between 1pm and 6pm (or till the Virgin Atlantic flight to London was boarding). Other times, there are light snacks, such as mixed nuts, granola bars, whole pieces of fruits, and light snacks provided. Not very impressive at all! Free wireless Internet connection is available, and you need a password, which you will find throughout the lounge. I like the lounge and really love the cream of corn soup that I had, as well as the strawberry salad.

Flight to Seattle:
The loading was again pretty full due to Spring Break, and from the baggage claim, I notice a large amount of connecting passengers. Not sure on where they come from, but good for Virgin! Boarding began early at 1:50pm, as the plane N632VA was sitting at Seattle for the past two hours, and we pushed back early at 2:20pm, and took off at 2:30pm. Flight time was an hour and thirty-seven minutes with a cruising attitude of 38,000 feet.

It was my first flight, in which all the TV channels actually worked on the DISH network, and first class had all the free Premium TV and movie channels available. I watched an episode of Simpsons and watched CNN the rest of the flight.

The first class F/A, Jet, was wonderful and smiling throughout the flight, and they did not even stop smiling after seeing me taking pictures left and right. Yes, people asked if I felt embarrassed! You know what, I used to care, but now I did not care, as long as I did not use flash and bother my neighbor. I was sure my neighbor United F/A noticing that I was taking notes and pictures of the meals. If they want to see me as an airline spy, I am fine.

The meal was similar to the inaugural SEA to SFO flight, and we got the same trio tapas – soba noodle salad, Thai beef salad, and herb marinated mushrooms, and the same choice of rolls – wheat, French or rustic, but nobody took them. Maybe for shorter flights, VX can offer mini rolls instead, and saved the whole sized rolls for long haul transcontinental flights. Entrees were different this time – I had a really nice chicken with bean sauce, on top of udon noodles and pan-fried eggplant halves. The other hot choice is a Wild Mushroom Ravioli with alfredo sauce, and Jet also offered everyone the economy class cold food choices – Turkey and bacon wrap, Antipasto salad, and the vegetarian sandwich with Greek Salad options. Chocolate was served afterward, which was a choice of Ghiradelli’s Milk or Dark Chocolate thins. Very impressive meal!

Descent began at 3:38pm and we landed on a wet Seattle R/W16C at 4:07pm, and parked at gate A6 at 4:12pm.

Baggage delivery – excellent – first bag showed up at 4:25pm, thirteen minutes after our parking time, which was something that doesn’t happen much with Alaska Airlines. I could not remember where the last time I got my checked bag from Alaska within twenty minutes of our gate arrival time.

Conclusion:
Virgin America is a great airline, and really tries to be different. I am disappointed with the Dark plane and the subsequent compensations, but everyone from the check-in agent at LAX to SFO, and the F/As, were just wonderful and really brought joy to my flights. I know my flight from SEA to JFK tomorrow morning in AA will not be the same, but anyway, congrats to VX for running a great airline, and please keep it up, as you expand, and please fix the “Dark” plane! It is a disgrace! For my comparison with Alaska Airlines, one more item to add – speedy baggage delivery at VX vs. the random performance of Alaska ground handlers at Seattle!

Carfield
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
great ending!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.