Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America: remove the makeup and you'll find ugly

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Virgin America: remove the makeup and you'll find ugly

From someone who rode VA in December '07: one of the worst plane travel decisions I've ever made.

I took the VA bait and flew it to JFK out of LAX.

The distance between my seat and the one in front was ridiculous. When the passenger ahead of me put his seat all the way back, my tray was open at the time and it came right up to me. And for almost the entire flight it felt as if the back of the seat in front of me was in my face.

This less-than-ideal situation was made worse by a seat arm that could not be pulled up and moved out of the way. According to the flight attendant I talked to about it, it's the way the plane was built.

The exit row seats provide greater leg room and pitch, and if any are available they can be taken for an additional fee. $$

Water, coffee, tea, soda and juice are distributed free of charge, but everything else (like crackers and other munchies) has a price tag. $$

The free on-board entertainment was a joke: little in variety of music channels and less than 20 TV stations to choose from -- and because VA is supposed to be hip and trendy the lineup included MTV, where most of the channel's programming is not suitable for viewing by children, or people who can make it through life without seeing a guy having his pubic area waxed (visible on the screen diagonally across the aisle from me).

VA spends a lot of money in marketing their purple and pink ride to ticket buyers, but there is absolutely nothing about the quality of VA that is better than any other airline flying out of LAX.

Last edited by Needle's Eye; Jan 17, 2008 at 1:34 am
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Err... MTV is not suitable for children? That seems a bit harsh.. and if you're offended by someone waxing their pubes, why were you watching it on someone elses' TV?

I couldn't quite believe it when you said: 20 (yes TWENTY!!) channels of TV is not enough for you??

Jeezz.. you guys are spoilt in the states!! All scheduled intra-Europe flights (even as much as 4hrs or so) are without any sort of IFE.

The food for purchase is a bit of a for a semi-long haul, though (IIRC, 2005) AA are the same, aren't they? You have to pay $5 for a snack box.. and on transatlantic you have to pay for alcohol which you don't on BA.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Perhaps the problem here is that VX isn't nirvana... it isn't so much that it's worse than its competitors, just that the psoter here had high expectations which followed from buzz and marketing.

Needle's Eye would probably prefer flying JetBlue JFK-LGB I'd guess, more legroom in much of the cabin + the tv.

But truthfully, the message of this trip report is coach is coach (at least United offers economy plus, although they don't offer free food in coach even on ORD-HNL!). And don't buy into marketing hype that suggests otherwise.

I doubt that EWR-LAX on CO would have been more enjoyable (though CO feeds you) or American's transcon product in Y either.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:55 am

Needle's Eye did you not do any research on what you were buying with VX?, it looks like you probably didn't.

Wouldn't you rather a cheaper ticket price and then pay for all of the extras you do want?

It looks like you are unaccustomed to low cost/no frills flying. Top tips always check out the airline fully before parting with your cash and see what extras there are to be paid for, also nowadays it isn't too difficult to get the facts such as seat pitches and on board service spec.

If you do the research before any journey it can always save a fair few frustrations en-route.

Happy flying.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:35 am

don't feed the... you know what

also: aren't children are MTV's primary target audience?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Needle's Eye
From someone who rode VA in December '07: one of the worst plane travel decisions I've ever made.

I took the VA bait and flew it to JFK out of LAX.

The distance between my seat and the one in front was ridiculous. When the passenger ahead of me put his seat all the way back, my tray was open at the time and it came right up to me. And for almost the entire flight it felt as if the back of the seat in front of me was in my face.

This less-than-ideal situation was made worse by a seat arm that could not be pulled up and moved out of the way. According to the flight attendant I talked to about it, it's the way the plane was built.

The exit row seats provide greater leg room and pitch, and if any are available they can be taken for an additional fee. $$

Water, coffee, tea, soda and juice are distributed free of charge, but everything else (like crackers and other munchies) has a price tag. $$

The free on-board entertainment was a joke: little in variety of music channels and less than 20 TV stations to choose from -- and because VA is supposed to be hip and trendy the lineup included MTV, where most of the channel's programming is not suitable for viewing by children, or people who can make it through life without seeing a guy having his pubic area waxed (visible on the screen diagonally across the aisle from me).

VA spends a lot of money in marketing their purple and pink ride to ticket buyers, but there is absolutely nothing about the quality of VA that is better than any other airline flying out of LAX.
If you are not being sarcastic you really need to seek help. Do you work for UA?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by OttoMH
Err... MTV is not suitable for children? That seems a bit harsh.. and if you're offended by someone waxing their pubes, why were you watching it on someone elses' TV?

I couldn't quite believe it when you said: 20 (yes TWENTY!!) channels of TV is not enough for you??

Jeezz.. you guys are spoilt in the states!! All scheduled intra-Europe flights (even as much as 4hrs or so) are without any sort of IFE.

The food for purchase is a bit of a for a semi-long haul, though (IIRC, 2005) AA are the same, aren't they? You have to pay $5 for a snack box.. and on transatlantic you have to pay for alcohol which you don't on BA.

He wasn't WATCHING it per se, perhaps he glanced over and noticed it.
That is really disgusting and I certainly would not want to see it, let alone have children see it.
MTV in this day and age is rubbish. Back in the 80s it was awesome, now it caters to the lowest common denominator in society.
Their having this junk playing is reason enough not to fly them.
Thanks to the poster for the info! Now I know better!

Last edited by Flyingfox; Jan 17, 2008 at 1:00 pm
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:32 pm

I have to draw question and attention to your lack of any detail being that this is a trip report. No specific dates, flights with attention to detail such as flight time, pushback, arrival, loads and any other information make me question if this even is a trip report or a simple anti-Virgin post. All other remarks such as entertainment, seating and on board service are information that can be found on the Virgin America website and as with others, makes me wonder if this isn't another airline employee just badgering the start up.

Can you provide any detailed information that would say otherwise, such as date flown, flight flown, seat assignment and other details to make this a true trip report? Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
You write that the seat pitch was too small for you. VX has 1 inch more than legacy airlines (except for E+) and the seats are almost 1 inch wider than 737 seats on legacy's.

With the poor economy and high oil prices airlines are trying harder to stay in the black. It only stands to reason that if any airline could make money doing something they would do it--sell food, exit rows, premium TV, movies

I assume that you would not be happy unless VX had 500 TV channels like some homes do. Why should anyone need more than one TV channel? I assume VX does not have split screen TV.

On the topic of inapropriate conduct on MTV, what do you expect from that young trash programing? Just as a side note, B6 offers Comedy Central on their TV's. Imagine an impresionable UM who turns on South Park. According to the US Constitutional interpertations people do not have a right to not be offended. If MTV offends you then don't watch it or take your money elsewhere. There is a "nice" airline that recently started flying out of SWF that you wouldn't have to take a glance at MTV unless someone brought a laptop and vulgar programing with them. Think of the Children! No, think of the personal liberties.

The only viable complaint in your TR was that the seat dividers did not rise. Sorry about that, that definetly is a problem that should be fixed. Everything else in your TR is fluff or misrepresented ideals about air travel.

If chosing to fly VX was the worst plane travel desision of your life then I want your life! I will start flying VX as often as possible once they start flying out of SEA in march. Their airfares to JFK are $50 or so cheaper than B6 nonstop. I could buy a nice meal on board and still have $ left over. Your choice to not fly VX, unless you need (want) miles on a different airline or you just hate any new things I do not understand why VX was such a bad desicion.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
A lot of first time posters seem to dislike VX
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
This guy probably didn't get what he wanted from Santa.

I've flown on VX twice and have yet to be disappointed. I even provided a full-blown review on VX in the Other North/South American Airlines forum. Ask prizmwiz!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
This guy probably didn't get what he wanted from Santa.

I've flown on VX twice and have yet to be disappointed. I even provided a full-blown review on VX in the Other North/South American Airlines forum. Ask prizmwiz!
Your reviews are always good to read. I strive to write reviews as good as yours when I get a chance to fly VX.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:08 pm

I've flown VX & found them to be an AWESOME airline! I fly AA often enough to become Gold in AAdvantage, I would trade them in ANY day! The seat pitch in Economy on VX is not that bad, but then again, I don't have dunlap disease. Movies, Music & TV were top notch & the crew were more than eager to help ALWAYS with a smile.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:29 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Ladies and gentlemen, where are your manners? Welcome to Flyertalk Needle's Eye and thanks for your observations.

I thinks it's obvious not everyone agrees with your points, but each opinion is valued and serves to build a bigger picture. I think I agree that "there is absolutely nothing about the quality of VA that is better than any other airline flying out of LAX" - seems like a balanced observation to me, even if some of the observations are a little green.

Don't be frightened off by some light flaming - look, learn, laugh!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Question Considering VX in First IAD-LAX

I would really like to read a detailed trip report regarding the first class experience on a long Virgin America flight. I am considering IAD to LAX.

I wonder how first on VX compares to say:
*Regular domestic first on any airline like say UA. My main problem with flying "regular" domestic first class is the seats are not that great for a long flight; or
*Premium domestic business/first class on a service like United P.S. I have flown both business and first class on P.S. and the seats are pretty good for such a long flight. It is logistically time consuming to fly UA P.S. out of BOS. You have to either fly UA BOS/IAD/JFK/LAX. Or say fly JetBlue/DL/AA BOS to JFK buying a separate ticket, leaving the terminal, taking the air train, going back through security, etc. It would be slightly easier to transit at IAD since you don't have to leave the security area.

I did a google search and I was so disappointed and frustrated that I could not find a trip report for Virgin America first. I am mainly interested in the details regarding food and drink selections, seat, and overall experience. And how does this product compare to the products I noted above?

Similarly Google produces very few hits on wanting a report about Amtrak Acella Express in recent times. The public really should write more trip reports like we do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.