Search

SEA-LAX weekend run: AS down/VX up

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
SEA-LAX weekend run: AS down/VX up

So, an opportunity to profit from the AS-VX fare wars popped up: a chance to visit dear friends over the weekend. Fares ended up being cheapest going down on a Friday evening on AS ($99), coming back Sunday afternoon on VX ($81). I was hoping against hope that I might even sneak into VX first- since I'm MVP Gold on Alaska, this would likely mean I would get first coming down and going up.

So, Friday night to start...

AS 410 SEA-LAX, 737-700, Seat 2C

Sea-Tac's north TSA checkpoint + MVP means I can usually get to the airport less than an hour before my flight and STILL board on-time. That being said... the plane was about 15 minutes late to board (not unusual for a Friday evening), so I could have even been a bit later, I guess.

I had also cleared for an MVPG first-class upgrade at 72 hours, so that part was set as well... came on-board, and we had an LA-based crew, with Sammy in the first class cabin. Since this was a dinner flight, I was going to get the new "upgraded service" Alaska rolled out in response to Virgin. Hmm, it's the same Athena water bottle... lets see what's next.

Sammy came through for drink orders, and I surprised him with "cream soda and vodka". Jones Cream Soda and vodka is a nice drink indeed, and I do think that's an upgrade. I typed away for a while on my laptop.

Dinner service followed: it was described as "roast beef, mashed potatoes and green beans". Yes, please, with the red (a nice Merlot). It came out and the "roast beef" was more a chuck/pot roast cut (as a chunk), but tender enough that I could cut it with a fork. The gravy was fine, the green beans were blanched just right- not soggy, still crisp, and the potato roll was good (and there was an accompanying chocolate). Perhaps my dish could have been a bit warmer, but all in all, it was good- not fancy in presentation or a gourmet feast but solid diner food.

Came back to more work and a Red Bull for an aperitif... and then we came in for a landing and Sammy shook all of our hands. The service was fine, and I thought "well, this HAS indeed been upgraded quite nicely".

Well, then, Saturday, doing online checkin about 23 hours early, I saw an open F seat for VX. Now, I knew this had a very good chance of blowing away AS, but I figured I might as well compare- and besides, first for $139 is still a pretty good deal, isn't it?

VX 717, LAX-SEA, Airbus 320 (California Dreaming), seat 2C

This was a mid-afternoon flight where, were I flying AS, I wouldn't be getting full meal service (either the First Class basket, or on the upgraded routes, fruit and cheese plates or some such). OK, time to get to the airport.

It seems F on VX lets you cut to the head of the TSA line, so that proved convenient for Terminal 6. I hung out and chatted with the VX Airport team member, used my T-Mobile WiFi access (rant: why, oh WHY, does SEA have such crappy WiFi options compared to PDX (free), LAS (free), LAX (Tmo), SFO (Tmo)? Who the hell USES Wayport, anyway? I shouldn't have to go to the AS lounge to get WiFi...) Boarding started, and I was in my seat.

Oh. My. Yeah, you get a lot of room in F on VX. Enough so that I let someone STAND in between my seat and 1C while the VA Flight Team was wheeling a passenger in a wheelchair aboard, and didn't feel cramped. Oh, wait, so THAT's where the massage control is? Oh, my...

Bonus points for the VX team: they serve a drink while you're on the ground. One Bloody Mary later... we fly. Red works fine (I watch Elizabeth: The Golden Age... and then it's inflight meal service. Chicken with pasta, or ravioli? I pick the ravioli, figuring "let's see if they get the pasta al dente".

What I got was:

Starter: Porcini mushroom salad, Asian ginger salad, beef strips salad,
Main course: Ravioli (with a really solid Pinot Noir as the dinner wine as well),
and a dessert trio of strawberries, mousse and vanilla nut pudding...

Yep, VX just blew Alaska away. I would have been happy if I had spent $50 on the Bloody Mary, wine and food at a restaurant, with tax and tip, the food quality was that good... and I got an incredibly comfortable chair, a nice space, and so on.

Service from the VA flight member was great as well (regrettably, I didn't put his name down in my notes like Sammy's).

So, to sum up:

- Yes, AS has improved their service on their West Coast trunk routes (SEA-SFO/LAX).
- It still isn't holding a candle to VX.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 12, 2017 at 1:38 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:46 am

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
OH MY GAWD!!!

I don't do AS, so I don't know much about them, other then they have the best club in SEA. But to read your trip report on VX and to see that they serve you a real meal going from LAX-SEA is a huge bonus in my book. I will definitely find sometime to do a trip to LAX next month and find fly VX. Maybe join Lucky for Dinner?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
VX told me that they serve meals on ALL FLIGHTS in F/J (including short hop like LAX-SFO, but those get the snack boxes with appetizers) ^

Also, if you call their CS, they will tell you their menu over the phone! ^
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:09 pm

Wow, I just flew VX JFK-LAX and had almost the exact same meal as you photographed. Amazing that they serve the same food on lax-sea as on a transcon. Not that I would complain! I agree that their F experience is pretty unparalled among US carriers, but I'm sure the fares are going to go up, since they are regularly selling out the F cabin now.

If VX is serving a full meal on a mid afternoon flight, then AS is going to need to do this on these routes as well (or perhaps they already are). But it is good to see AS service more like it used to be.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Apr 14, 2008 at 1:24 pm
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:28 pm

Thanks

Thanks for the comparison.

VX is really a new breed of airline...

Yes, they serve the same transcon meals on LAX to SEA flights (and a simplified two course plus chocolate thins service on SFO-SEA flights), and no to mention, you can order additional snacks (all the BOB options in Y are available for free in F). So you can never go hungry on a transcon flight.

Just a reminder, AS used to serve a three course meal on LAX-SEA flight in F... but nearly a decade ago.

But at least AS tries to up the game a bit... that is the best they can do with the current cost constraint. But sometimes it is so ironic that VX forces AS to bring back the old charm and service that AS has once uniquely processed. AS had all those great things (except the seats and IFE) especially F/As and "soft" product, and meals once.

Anyway, I noticed that AS F/As tried a bit harder on the LAX/SFO-SEA flights these days since VX launches...

Carfield
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield
Just a reminder, AS used to serve a three course meal on LAX-SEA flight in F... but nearly a decade ago. Carfield
In fact, up through 2003...I used to fly that route frequently.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, now that's an impressive dinner!^ Thanks for the report!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It's amazing what new competition can do on such routes.

I hope that some of you can benefit similarly once UA and QF have fare sales covering the launch time of V Australia in December.

Stories I've read this week indicated that when and if the legacy carriers decide to have a sale, it will be a big story.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
The sad part is what AS is spinning as "upgraded" first class is what we are used to from years gone by - if your gonna market it as first class then make sure you live up to that definition - enter VX

Loved VX F nothing compares unless your an international carrier. Fly VX!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.