First on VX and UA to SEA w/stay @ Fairmont Olympic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:39 am
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
First on VX and UA to SEA w/stay @ Fairmont Olympic

Hi all,

Last weekend I sneaked out on a quickie from SFO to SEA and had the chance to compare VX and UA's F products on this 2 hrs route. What comparison? There is none. VX wins hands down. No surprises here for those of us who have had the privilege to experience the sublime ecstasy of sitting in the front of a VX plane (except for the dark one floating around). There is no other carrier out there in the domestic market that provides a better value for F than VX.

In my book, $177.00 one way for F is great value. What do I get for the price? A comfortable leather seat that has a 55" pitch comparable to an international product, a satisfying meal that include an assortment of appetizers, a hearty main entree and two squares of chocolates, friendly and professional service without the bitterness at worst and indifference at best (at least not yet, this remains to be seen) and an out of the ordinary experience in a cabin that is stylish and chic. Truly out of the ordinary ambience.

Here is the report of the flight along with some pictures:

VX 732 A320
SFO-SEA Dept. 8:00P - Arriv. 10:00P
F/C Seat 2D

Today's flight was packed and deep inside I was glad that I sat in F. VX uses the A gates from the International side and entering through this beautiful terminal always makes for a good start to any trip. Boarding was done efficiently and upon entering the jetbridge one had a choice of two types of earphones to bring onboard.

Airplane taxiing to the gate

Close up of plane

Our purser Kelly jumped into action by providing pre-take off drinks swiftly. Once the doors closed the safety video played but in F we had a live demo. Unfortunately drop down screens do not exist in this plane.

We had a smooth lift and about 25 minutes later our FA asked for our drink and meal choices. Today's dinner featured chicken teriyaki or mushroom ravioli with Alfredo sauce. By the time she reached the last 2 rows only the ravioli was left. No problem, I am just glad that I am getting something after all. A couple of minutes later the tray set ups were delivered along with our drinks and silverware. Kelly passed around with a tray full of appetizers and offered us an "a la carte" choice describing each one of the 3 different appetizers (mushroom salad, strips of beef with peppers and soba noodles) She welcomed us to take all of them as an option. She proceeded to set up the appetizers by picking them up from the tray and setting them on each tray using tongs.

Appetizers

The mushroom and strips of beef packed a punch of flavor. The soba noodle was fine but not as exciting as the other two. The only regret is that since we do not have salad the appetizer portions could be a bit bigger.

Ravioli

After serving the entrees by pairs the FA brought a basket of breads (white, wheat or seeded). The little morsels were tasty and very good. A bit more sauce could have been ideal to soak up the rolls. Oh, the breads were heavenly soft and warm.

Once our FA cleared the trays she inquired if we wanted coffee or other drinks. I decided to try the fruit and cheese box from Y and Kelly obliged happily. It took her about 5 minutes to bring me the box along with a silverware fork and napkin. The box consisted of dried fruits and a couple of grapes with candied pecans, three types of sliced cheese, Pepperidge Farm crackers and breadsticks. It was satisfying and a great conclusion to a good meal.

Fruit and cheese box

to be continued with a report on the Faimont (formerly Four Seasons)....

Last edited by aw; Apr 16, 2008 at 1:21 am
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Great report and pictures! Even though UA started serving a small cheese plate on the dinnertime SFO-SEA flights, VX clearly blows that out of the water with a real dinner service.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:28 am
aw
Original Poster

It's been years since my last visit to Seattle and it is always gratifying to revisit old sights. My first visit was right after college and I remember my stay at the Westin fondly. Back then I was not into photography so I did not even bring a camera to record my memories. The room had a breathtaking view from the balcony and right then I said that if I couldn't move to San Francisco then Seattle would be a close runner up (back then I lived in Miami and was looking for a change of scenery).

Westin SEA

Since I was traveling with two other people who have never been to SEA, we made the compulsory visits to the famous sights such as Space Needle, Pike Place Market and other landmarks. Here are some shots of the city:

Fairmont Olympic hotel

Although many people have complained about the "decaying" service at the Fairmont, my personal experience with this property proved to be quite the opposite. From the moment I stepped inside I was greeted warmly and with a smile by almost every staff member. I had an early check in at 10:00A and was given a spacious room on the 4th floor right away. The front desk agent walked us to the elevator and when she became aware that we had a lunch reservation at the Georgian she called us within five minutes to advise that everything was set.

Fairmont lobby

Room

Georgian restaurant

Lunch at The Georgian was a relaxing affair. The room is spacious and tastefully appointed. Service was unobtrusive, warm and efficient. I had a prawn salad with Indian spices that was superb. It was light, flavorful and perfectly seasoned. By the way, The Georgian was voted best in two categories according to readers' choice from Seattle magazine. These are "Best Power Breakfast" and "Best Restaurant to Close a Deal".

Good things come to an end and the return on UA was rather disappointing. I had an idea of what to expect and thankfully the flight went by quickly.

UA 1187 A320
SEA-SFO Dept. 3:23P Arriv 5:29P
F/C Seat 1B

The flight was wide open and the purser was proactive in hanging coats and offering pre-departure drinks. VX does not hang coats because they do not have closets.

In terms of inflight service see for yourself:

No comments, no comparison. Guess who wins?

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this report.

Last edited by aw; Apr 17, 2008 at 9:31 am
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:22 am

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by aw
In terms of inflight service see for yourself:

No comments, no comparison. Guess who wins?

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this report.
I see that someone is drinking some cran-apple juice! Always a plus in my book.^
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:10 pm
aw
Original Poster

Great minds think alike and you are a man of good taste hsxagent.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Wow. What a difference in meal service. Let's hope UA will add more--not the other way around!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I love this trip report! Thanks. Next time you're in SEA let all of us know and we'll have a dinner/lunch/breakfast for you! (See Community post for May 3rd dinner for a fellow FTer from the Bay Area!).

BTW - what camera do you use? Those pictures are gorgeous!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome report with awesome pictures and awesome commentary! VX looks awesome!^ Thanks for taking the time to write!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:22 pm
aw
Original Poster

MatthewLAX - one can only hope. I doubt UA will ever implement a meal service in F for the SEA flights, although it is close to 2 hours and flights from SFO-YVR which are about the same length offer a meal during the appropriate times. I know AS has some sort of continental breakfast snack in F for the morning flights and offerings from a snack basket on all other flights departing later on.

ldsant - Thanks for your comment and I'm glad that you liked it. I hope I did justice to such a beautiful city with my pics. I appreciate your offer and will let you know next time I am in town. By the way, I met a fellow flyertalker named Dave on my UA flight back. He had a "flyertalk" tag on his carry on and was connecting to the FRA flight. Dave, if you are reading this I hope you got upgraded to J.

I use two Canon cameras when I travel. One is a Digital Rebel DSLR and the other a PowerShot A540. The food pictures were taken with the PowerShot and the rest with the Digital Rebel. I have never studied photography but I firmly believe that it is the photographer who makes the picture and not the camera. Training the eye to compose is the most important aspect about taking photography in my humble opinion. Pictures are an extension of ourselves because they convey our personal perspective about how we see the world around us. This is just my opinion and I am by no means a professional photographer, so take this with a grain of salt.

Lucky - I am grateful for your flattering comments. Coming from a trip report expert with quite a following this means a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.