Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Which is Better: United Economy Plus or Virgin America Main Cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold

I am headed out to San Francisco the first week of November for my new job and I am looking at either United or Virgin America. With VA pricing out at ~300$ vs UA at $575, my bosses will want me on a VA flight.

Now I would like to add 9500 FF miles to my account, but I am willing to experiment. FT'ers can you help me figure out which I should take? Here are my needs:

1. I need to work the whole flight to SF, and this means using a laptop. On UA's Economy Plus seat, I can get my T60 open and have room to type in a semi-comfortable fashion. I also often can get exit rows or first rows due to status. Does VA's seat distance allow a laptop open in your lap?

2. I take red eyes back to IAD and I know I can usually sleep a few hours in a UA EP seat at the window. Does the VA seat experience allow for decent shut-eye? I would most likely pay the $25 to get an exit row or first isle seat since the cost is so much lower than a UA seat.

3. Last but not least, I never check my bags and my roll on just fits in the UA compartments - I swear it was built just for their standards. Does the VA overheads take max roll-on size?

4. I don't care for the inflight entertainment, work and sleep are higher priorities, but I do like to have drinks and snacks. The UA food is acceptable and free. How is the VA food and is it all pay? Worth the $$?

In my overall rating, 1-3 are deal breakers if VA isn't at least equal to UA, but 4 could be dropped for the fun of a new flying experience. And since this is primarily a work flight, I'll fight for the UA fare, but I'd like to have FT's backup when I do.

So tell me what you think: UA Economy Plus or VA Main Cabin?

Last edited by wayan; Oct 18, 2007 at 12:44 pm Reason: URL
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by wayan
4. I don't care for the inflight entertainment, work and sleep are higher priorities, but I do like to have drinks and snacks. The UA food is acceptable and free.
Free? You mean the mixed nuts?

Unless you're upgrading, there's no "free lunch" on any domestic UA flight I'm aware of.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:54 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
in order of your questions...

1. pitch is tighter - I think 32" - and the seats have a pretty generous recline. Might be a bit difficult but they DO have power in Y seats, so you'd be able to work the whole flight.

2. The VX seats are very comfy; I find them better than UA Y. In First, it's a no brainer! The VX F seats are as good as UA C on int'l equipment and PS. Service is a bit better too.

3. See no problems here; same overheads as UA's Airbii.

4. Haven't had longhaul meals, only in VX F on SFO-LAX. Food was good and drinks are free flowing. I like that you can order whatever you want whenever you want and not have to interrupt a F/A passing by.

Be wary of VX's on-time records. I've had 3 roundtrips with them and not one of the flights has departed on-time. They haven't been horribly late (all were operational, not weather-related), mind you, but 45 minutes is annoying. I also find the gates in SFO fairly inconvenient; all the way at the end of the A-gates in the int'l terminal. UA's terminal, while also large, seems more manageable.

If it were me I'd probably choose United. I like VX's service and the entertainment, but honestly what I care about is legroom and convenience. Fewer flights means less convenience, and less legroom means...well, less legroom. YMMV.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess my question is, if your bosses want you on a VX flight, what realistically are your options?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I guess my question is, if your bosses want you on a VX flight, what realistically are your options?
If the OP doesn't feel he can get his job done on a VX flight, I suspect that will carry some weight.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
My boss wants me to be productive for the five hour flight over and the Betrothed Butterbean wants me to be productive when I get back Saturday morning. Both "masters" wouldn't think the $200 price difference worth a weary Wayan.

1. So has anyone tried to work on a laptop in VA main cabin? The tighter pitch and greater recline seem to nix that.

2. Comfy seats would be a plus. UA sometimes has things that look like seats but really are hard ...-flatteners.

3. Glad to hear storage isn't different.

4. I meant free nuts and drinks. Heard that VA charges for everything and since my boss will not pay for inflight foods, that hits my cheap streak.

Overall, DLL, I'm with you. I'll take the few extra inches of personal space and multiple flight options over one shot that could be delayed and cramped quarters when flying. Xbox doesn't score when you're boxed in.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by dll
Be wary of VX's on-time records. I've had 3 roundtrips with them and not one of the flights has departed on-time. They haven't been horribly late (all were operational, not weather-related), mind you, but 45 minutes is annoying. I also find the gates in SFO fairly inconvenient; all the way at the end of the A-gates in the int'l terminal. UA's terminal, while also large, seems more manageable.
Totally agree, most of the times when VX delay, they never really have any explanation either. I have experienced even when the plane is at the gate for several hours, they don't start to board until the departure time, or sitting at the tarmac for 30 min, no explanation whatsoever. UA pilots would come on to explain the situation usually within 5 or 10 min.

UA at T3 with priority security, VX had none at the int'l terminal at A gate, and has to due with other international passengers, it may take 30 min longer to clear security.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:56 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Totally agree, most of the times when VX delay, they never really have any explanation either. I have experienced even when the plane is at the gate for several hours, they don't start to board until the departure time, or sitting at the tarmac for 30 min, no explanation whatsoever. UA pilots would come on to explain the situation usually within 5 or 10 min.

UA at T3 with priority security, VX had none at the int'l terminal at A gate, and has to due with other international passengers, it may take 30 min longer to clear security.
This has been my exact experience with VX delays; one time I rolled up for an early morning LAX-SFO flight. Plane was there overnight, crew was already there, gate agents were there. We boarded 15 minutes after departure time and pulled out 45 minutes behind schedule. Why? No explanation.

Be especially wary of afternoon departures from SFO on VX; it's rush hour for VS, BA, AF, KL, and with JetBlue in the mix, makes for a long queue. 30 minutes has been the norm for me from 3-5 p.m. in the A gates. With United, it might take 10.

Then there's terminal 6 at LAX, easily the armpit of the airport. It far outstrips Tom Bradley of the worst amenities and user experience awards. Of course, depending on your luck, you may get stuck in T6 with UA too.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If you haven't been already, I would at least give VX a chance.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:02 pm

We were on Virgin a few weeks ago, and we were two hours late going north, now, the first hour was traffic and the second hour was that they were fixing a seat in first. there was an FAA guy on board and he made them wait and fix it. There was never any annoucements from the pilots as to what was happening and that is wrong. they did come out with free drinks due to the delay, but really. not too much longer and we could have driven. Coming home, again, over an hour delay. The seats are substantially tighter then E+. I'm 6'1" and my knee's were jammed, vs on E+ I can cross my legs. That is my two pennies worth.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Would you "give them a chance" toward the end of the year at the risk of failing to qualify for status with UA in 2008?

I'd probably give them a chance in January.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by dll
Then there's terminal 6 at LAX, easily the armpit of the airport. It far outstrips Tom Bradley of the worst amenities and user experience awards. Of course, depending on your luck, you may get stuck in T6 with UA too.
But at LAX he can clear security in the UA Elite line at T7 in a quick time and make the 4 minute walk to T6... Plus there is the smoking area in T6 if that makes a difference... That is a selling point for me and I try to force my connections in LAX (and the CO lounge is right across from the smoking area to indulge my drink needs)...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 2:16 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Doesn't VX have a weight limit for carry-ons?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Indeed, and you can pay an extra $15 or so for some extra legroom seats.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 6:47 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
I've got a VX IAD-SFO trip coming up, and plan on working too. In addition to cheaper fare, key benefit was the power ports throughout Y. Also paid the extra $25 to sit in the exit row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.