Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shutter41
If I'm flying, say, DFW-ORD-BWI and misconnect at ORD, will UA let me hop on an earlier flight to coterminals DCA or IAD or make me wait until the next ORD-BWI flight?
In an IRROPS/misconnect situation, agents are empowered to use any reasonable means to get you to your destination. Asking for a re-route to a co-terminal is a no-brainer and shouldn't cause any problems at all. Additionally, the United app, website, and kiosks all have an IRROPS mode that will allow you to include nearby airports.

FYI -- UA is unlikely to offer to compensate you for additional ground transportation expenses incurred. For delays under UA's control (e.g., a mechanical issue), you may be able to get a taxi / rideshare reimbursed if you ask nicely at ORD.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, BA, Miles & More Frequent Traveler
Currently on a Mileage run and CPU'ed to C on Polaris

I'm on my return leg from a TXL-EWR-IAD-SFO flight. My EWR-IAD leg was going to be significantly delayed. A very nice CS rep at the United Club believed I'd miss my flight from IAD -SFO. She placed me on a EWR - SFO in Polaris Business class. I have two questions as a result:

1.) Will I receive less miles now overall because of the "lost" EWR - IAD segment?

2.) It was a CPU upgrade, but my new boarding pass said "C" fare class. Will that be reflected in my PQM or the original fare will be the basis for the calculation?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:55 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
1) You might receive a few less miles, if you'd normally get 500 miles for the EWR-IAD segment. You'll have to compare the miles of both itineraries to see if you get close by going via EWR. For example, for the domestic part of the trip, EWR-SFO is 2,565 PQM, vs. 2,419 IAD-SFO. In any case, the comfort and amenities of your trip from EWR-SFO should more than compensate for any lost miles, which should be few.

2) This depends how the agent rebooked your EWR-SFO. The boarding pass won't normally reveal this. It'll merely show the class you're seated in. You'll have to see if an updated fare receipt or ticket receipt has been generated.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
1) You might receive a few less miles, if you'd normally get 500 miles for the EWR-IAD segment. You'll have to compare the miles of both itineraries to see if you get close by going via EWR. For example, for the domestic part of the trip, EWR-SFO is 2,565 PQM, vs. 2,419 IAD-SFO.

2) This depends how the agent rebooked your EWR-SFO. The boarding pass won't normally reveal this. It'll merely show the class you're seated in. You'll have to see if an updated fare receipt or ticket receipt has been generated.
1) You can write in after the trip posts to request Original Routing Credit in order to get the additional PQMs and PQS.

2) No matter what's in the receipt, this is a crapshoot. I've given up on trying to discern any pattern. My advice is to assume that you will not get the class-of-service bonus; then, you may get a pleasant surprise in a couple of days. :-)

It probably goes without saying, but in just case: if you do receive 200/300% credit on EWR-SFO, and you subsequently request original routing credit, the bonus will almost certainly disappear when they re-post your flights.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:18 am

Going from Houston to Madrid next week on points

It's Polaris out of IAD to Frankfurt. Is it worth booking First at 80k points or take business at 57.5k?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sooty
It's Polaris out of IAD to Frankfurt. Is it worth booking First at 80k points or take business at 57.5k?
Ugh. 22.5k is a lot of miles for a "meh" F product, especially on such a short flight. But on the other hand, you're getting out of sardine J. Can you get 6A or 6K? I'm on the fence here..
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, BA, Miles & More Frequent Traveler
Originally Posted by jsloan
1) You can write in after the trip posts to request Original Routing Credit in order to get the additional PQMs and PQS.

2) No matter what's in the receipt, this is a crapshoot. I've given up on trying to discern any pattern. My advice is to assume that you will not get the class-of-service bonus; then, you may get a pleasant surprise in a couple of days. :-)

It probably goes without saying, but in just case: if you do receive 200/300% credit on EWR-SFO, and you subsequently request original routing credit, the bonus will almost certainly disappear when they re-post your flights.
Thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely take your advice and assume it's the original fare class and keep my mouth shut if I'm pleasantly surprised.

*Update* My award miles were based on the original W class booking, but my PQM and PQS were based on the new C class booking. I will now officially smile.

Last edited by Berlin_traveler; Jun 26, 2017 at 1:46 pm Reason: Additional information to add
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sooty
Better for sleeping but only worthwhile if you have lots of points to burn.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:57 pm

Quick question - if I have a booked award itinerary of EWR-ADD-JNB on ET and see saver availability SFO-EWR (and vice versa for the return), should I be able to call up United and add on those legs without extra miles? Any insight would be great.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinny123
Quick question - if I have a booked award itinerary of EWR-ADD-JNB on ET and see saver availability SFO-EWR (and vice versa for the return), should I be able to call up United and add on those legs without extra miles? Any insight would be great.
That will probably depend upon availability still existing for EWR-ADD-JNB. Generally with the 'new' (ca. 2016) computer system it seems the agents have to start anew with a booking if you want to change segments. But may as well ask.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Looking at an award UA/LH saver ticket and it doesn't showing being mixed cabin. But in looking at the details it shows J/J/Y but the classes are I/I/IN. Will the coach/IN actually ticket to J?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Hey FT,

Have a ticket I bought from SFO - SNA one way. Snagged it for 80.00, but now I need to pay a 200.00 change fee as I need to leave 2 days earlier.

Logic tells me that I should just not change the ticket, but just buy another one. This about right?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Looking at an award UA/LH saver ticket and it doesn't showing being mixed cabin. But in looking at the details it shows J/J/Y but the classes are I/I/IN. Will the coach/IN actually ticket to J?
I'm not quite sure what you're seeing that makes you say the last segment is "Y"?

If you are literally seeing "Coach (IN)" then yes, you will be in the premium cabin. Coach is not a class of service offered by United; it is just a text localization bug.

Originally Posted by Rumples
Have a ticket I bought from SFO - SNA one way. Snagged it for 80.00, but now I need to pay a 200.00 change fee as I need to leave 2 days earlier.

Logic tells me that I should just not change the ticket, but just buy another one. This about right?
Correct. It's not worth $200 to rescue $80 in ticket value.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by findark
I'm not quite sure what you're seeing that makes you say the last segment is "Y"?
Perhaps he's using Y as a generic abbreviation for economy?

Originally Posted by findark
If you are literally seeing "Coach (IN)" then yes, you will be in the premium cabin. Coach is not a class of service offered by United; it is just a text localization bug.
I've seen the word "Coach" on award screens too, and it drives me crazy. Makes it tougher to scan which segments will be in Y -- errrr, I mean economy -- and which will be in J on mixed awards.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Perhaps he's using Y as a generic abbreviation for economy?
Yes, sorry - I mean whether there was another sign besides the cabin name "Coach" for indicating OP thought the last segment was Economy. I was making a guess about the cabin name, which I don't think is clear from the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.