Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign driver’s license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the member’s employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the member’s name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the member’s name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by exerda
Is this forum really "full of" pax who are US-based but use a fake address abroad to evade PQD requirements? I admit I haven't followed such proclamations closely, but I only recall a handful of folks admitting to that.

Even if the majority of US-based UA FTers did so, it would be a drop in the bucket for UA (compared to their total FF elite population), and I question their allocation of resources to pursue it. It's like the drug testing programs for welfare recipients in some US states, where they have cost the states far more to administer than they have recouped in fraud.
Even if they are a minority, you could assume those who do "fraudulently" change address to overseas are those who were the target of these PQD requirements. (The over entitled 1K's etc). So if they don't enforce the rules and just allow the targeted group to skirt the PQD requirements whats the point in even having them? The end result is perhaps somewhat worse. These PQD requirement changes will have possibly driven away a few better customers, but the ones you tried to fire are still there costing you more than you want.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Sep 24, 2014 at 10:31 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Exclamation Possible new addition to the address verification process?

A fellow F/t'er who is a 1k lives in the U.S. and owns property in a large European city where they spend a net of 3-6 months every year.

They changed their address to that of the large European city before the new verification process was set up.

Yesterday, they just went to book a domestic U.S. ticket and they were unable to complete the booking on-line as they were presented with an error stating that the country of residence did not match the origin (U.S.) city, the address of the credit card on file (U.S) did not match the address of the country of residence and the booking currency on the reservation page was in the currency of the non-U.S. country and they were unable to change to US dollars.

They were eventually able to get it booked by calling web support (reservations could not do it) and I don't know if this is an error in how they set up the foreign address or something else is in place to verify the foreign address but they asked me to share the experience
---
Edited to add: This is the exact wording from the error message on the payment page and note that the bolded part contains a link to change the billing address country but they sent me a picture and I typed this from the picture so I can't include the link

The fare rules for this itinerary has changed. Please review

The fare and payment options below are based on selected flights, traveler information and a <foreign country name> billing address. Have a billing address in another country? Select your billing address country. Any change made may result in a different fare and available payment options.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by goalie
A fellow F/t'er who is a 1k lives in the U.S. and owns property in a large European city where they spend a net of 3-6 months every year.

They changed their address to that of the large European city before the new verification process was set up.

Yesterday, they just went to book a domestic U.S. ticket and they were unable to complete the booking on-line as they were presented with an error stating that the country of residence did not match the origin (U.S.) city, the address of the credit card on file (U.S) did not match the address of the country of residence and the booking currency on the reservation page was in the currency of the non-U.S. country and they were unable to change to US dollars.

They were eventually able to get it booked by calling web support (reservations could not do it) and I don't know if this is an error in how they set up the foreign address or something else is in place to verify the foreign address but they asked me to share the experience
---
Edited to add: This is the exact wording from the error message on the payment page and note that the bolded part contains a link to change the billing address country but they sent me a picture and I typed this from the picture so I can't include the link
This is an error - I get a similar error from time to time, and logging out and back in seems to cure it, and it happens whether I'm flying domestic US or between YYZ/USA...my credit card is a US card and it's really non of United's business what credit card I use or where the billing address is provided the charge clears. Canadian CC's give borderline useless points benefits, and many other Canadians I know keep US cards billed to their snowbird addresses which they use for any US purchase.

If they made a real change like this, they would essentially be saying that any non-US resident with a US charge card is blocked from booking a US domestic flight? That makes no sense, especially considering they could only do this at united.com, something so easily circumvented by using an OTA or BMTA. What possible benefit does it give UA other than to annoy customers?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
one could argue that in the case of both UA and the US states you reference, having the policy in place is a deterrent against significant levels of fraud and that in and of itself makes the cost worthwhile.

note that i don't agree with this argument, just playing devil's advocate.
Continuing to play Devil's Advocate--

I currently work for a French firm, therefore I have a National ID Card, Work Permit and Driving License--but I don't live in France. Theoretically, I could change my address to France because I would meet the requirements, even though my primary residence is still in the US.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by goalie

---
No way this is a new policy. If it were, you can always log out, then book ticket using US credit card.

UA never has a requirement to log in to book a ticket.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
This does not impose a problem for me since I have long since had a foreign address listed. However, though I'm completely legit, I couldn't provide anything. All of our local bills are in my wife's name, as she handles getting us signed up for utilities and we put our house in her name. In Colombia, women don't take their husband's last names, so I couldn't even show the same last name on a bill.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
The requirements are insanely restrictive, and I think it's on purpose. If one's family owns a house in a different country where you reside for half of the year, you wouldn't be able to give them the required documentation even though you were completely legit.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:42 pm

Just to share my experience... I submitted my documents (national ID and an utility bill) last night for verification and this morning, and I got confirmation (via email from United) already for the foreign address change.

However, the premier status hasn't been updated yet even though I have the required miles already...

Usually how fast will the UA system update the premier status?

thanks
dchobo
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
I'm sure this is to avoid people from switching to foreign address to avoid PQD. Like, if someone knows a friend who lives in another country and can receive mail for them, etc. DL does it too. Unfortunately, I joined SkyMiles while living in LA and now I have to submit proof of address to change my address. (Oh well, no need! I'm sticking with UA.)

Originally Posted by cchuang1980
Not sure since when UA.com imposed a varification process for changing address.
My question is how UA will verify the documents do not use the Roman alphabet from countries like China/Taiwan/Japan/South Korea?
I used another letter that was sent to me with Pinyin address. It worked well and I received my 1K card yesterday. I guess you can have someone notarize the Hanzi/Hangul/Hiragana+Kanji to romanized transcription?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Here's an interesting question. I live in Australia and have had that address as my primary address in MP since before the PQD requirements. When I book I try for confirmed upgrades using miles. In order to confirm an upgrade the billing address must be in the US. This is not a problem since I have a few US credit cards with US addresses. The issue is that when I select US billing country and US credit card payment, it says my primary MP address (Australia) doesn't match. Every time I book I switch the MP address to the US just to book, confirm my upgrade, and then switch it back to Australia (which is where I actually live 100% of the time). If I continue this method, will I have to submit proof every time I switch the address back to Australia, which means every time I book a flight on United?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Here's an interesting question. I live in Australia and have had that address as my primary address in MP since before the PQD requirements. When I book I try for confirmed upgrades using miles. In order to confirm an upgrade the billing address must be in the US. This is not a problem since I have a few US credit cards with US addresses. The issue is that when I select US billing country and US credit card payment, it says my primary MP address (Australia) doesn't match. Every time I book I switch the MP address to the US just to book, confirm my upgrade, and then switch it back to Australia (which is where I actually live 100% of the time). If I continue this method, will I have to submit proof every time I switch the address back to Australia, which means every time I book a flight on United?
You will. 2 weeks ago, I switched temporarily to a (fake) US address to buy in USD - have used this trick for years, as USD fares are often cheaper than the equivalent fares in CAD. Not surprisingly, had to document my change back 10 minutes later

Inconvenient, but very happy UA is doing this, and that they are being strict not to allow work addresses but actual 'residences'.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by exerda

I can think of many legitimate folks who will not be able to provide two off of that list. You can reside abroad and not pay property taxes or utility bills.
That's me. I can provide a lease but nothing else as utilities are included with the monthly rent bill, I don't work and don't have any local gov ID.

Sadly there's no way my status card (or any mail for that matter) would ever arrive at this address so I need to come up with some workaround.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Strange. I have a Thailand address in MP and a US billing address and US credit card (the United Explorer Card). Never had a problem booking a flight, even recently.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
OK, I just checked, and I DO have a secondary US Business address listed that is the same as the billing address on my credit card. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem. Might want to try this and see if it helps.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I may be in the position of moving back to the US 3/4 of the way through the year. How do you think they'll handle PQD for a mid-year move?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.