Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:39 pm
Suspended

I fully support elitist comments if they are funny, but I don't think some of these comments from SFO/wife are. With that said, readers need to chill out. Who gave yall the right to criticize SFO for criticizing others?

Originally Posted by SFO777
That "raincoat" was a Loro Piana jacket and the "trainers" were slim fit white AG Jeans.
Brand is in no way indicative of quality, prestige, or whatever it is you're hoping to achieve. I love Loro Piana for its carefully sourced quality material, namely for its prided and exclusive cashmere products. But what does a LP synthetic fiber jacket got over the average synthetic fiber jacket? Is the bamboo fiber in that nylon jacket sourced from an endangered species of bamboo? If the LP jacket has cashmere inside, why is she wearing cashmere in the summer?

Also trainers are sneakers/shoes, not pants.

Last edited by Silent Orange; Aug 27, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Topic Check

All,

I've got to put my Mod hat on for a second. Let's make sure we're not getting personal.

This applies to the original poster, as well as those commenting.

Thank you,

Madone59
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Madone59
[FONT="Georgia"]
All,

I've got to put my Mod hat on for a second.
But is your "Mod hat" fashionable?! Because...that's really what matters
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
SFO777 - please don't let the PC safe space bullies win!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We departed Dublin airport around 5:30p and some 90 minutes later we arrived at one of the most wonderful and special hotels we have ever visited.

Used as a school until 7 years ago, the buildings were completely restored to a simply marvelous Downton Abbey type estate.

Our room, the Lady Kildare suite.

I ordered a capuccino for Mrs. SFO777 and it arrived within 5 minutes. This type of service was a precursor to what would be a couple of days of absolutely flawless service by a most wonderful staff.

Cocktails and pupus before dinner.

My fois gras was divine.

Back in our room after dinner.

After a wonderful night's sleep, a fabulous breakfast.

With it actively raining, we cancelled falconry and took golf carts for a leisurely tour of the grounds.

The shooting range. OK, we'll be back here later.

Something called the Ice House... perhaps to store ice years ago??

Back at the front entrance, just another of the wonderful staff... indeed a younger Simon Pegg double.

Time for a tour of this beautiful place.

OK, enough of this. After our active morning LOL, let's head to the bar.

I don't do a lot of loo pics, but this one was pretty cool.

Time for lunch in the exquisite solarium.

By this time, it was nearly 4pm and time to head up to the shooting range to meet another staffer Glenn, who doubles as the shooting range guide. What a character with a wonderful sense of humour.

After shooting and a rest, time to head for cocktails and pupus.

And another amazing meal.

Breakfast the next morning on getaway day.

What a extraordinary experience at spectacular small hotel. With only 12 occupied rooms (of 24) and massive grounds, most of the time it felt like we were the only guests there, and with personable, professional and simply extraordinary staff eager to satisfy every need. The attention to detail was on a level that one rarely see anywhere. Ballyfin is one of the finest hotels that we have ever had to pleasure to visit.

For an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Just posted the next installments SFO777.com
Ballyfin to Killarney and the Pan Am Clipper.

Will post to FT as soon as possible.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: Miles and More
How do you even find that kind of places? Travel agent? A special and secret website that I'm not aware of? I doubt that you wake up one day, open tripadvisor and think 'hmmm, let me check Ballyfin today'...
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:18 am

Luxury digs plus Irish hospitality. Sounds like a perfect combo!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
That hotel looks amazing!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by nequine
That hotel looks amazing!
The Solarium looks like a fantastic place for lunch (I hope the food matched the setting). 🤗
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:29 am

You did not go for a swim in the indoor pool? It looks gorgeous.

The food looks extraordinary.

I had a fantastic meal at Ashford Castle and that was 40 years ago. It was so good I still remember it.

Seems it was somewhat chilly?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Silent Orange
I fully support elitist comments if they are funny, but I don't think some of these comments from SFO/wife are. With that said, readers need to chill out. Who gave yall the right to criticize SFO for criticizing others?

Brand is in no way indicative of quality, prestige, or whatever it is you're hoping to achieve. I love Loro Piana for its carefully sourced quality material, namely for its prided and exclusive cashmere products. But what does a LP synthetic fiber jacket got over the average synthetic fiber jacket? Is the bamboo fiber in that nylon jacket sourced from an endangered species of bamboo? If the LP jacket has cashmere inside, why is she wearing cashmere in the summer?

Also trainers are sneakers/shoes, not pants.
In Britain we used to call the "striper" adidas pants trainers.

And here I was thinking Loro Piana was something Liberace used to play.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeCrow
How do you even find that kind of places? Travel agent? A special and secret website that I'm not aware of? I doubt that you wake up one day, open tripadvisor and think 'hmmm, let me check Ballyfin today'...
FT has a luxury hotel forum. It's not a bad place to start for ideas. But honestly, if you're in the market, just googling will get you there.

I'm not a resort person for my own travel, but I've planned enough of these for folks (I do Italy travel consulting as a side gig) and never had too much trouble finding these sorts of places.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeCrow
I think Kim Kardashian and Kanye West spent some of their honeymoon there.

They also went to the cinema in a town nearby much to the surprise of the locals.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Davidjonesk
I think Kim Kardashian and Kanye West spent some of their honeymoon there.

They also went to the cinema in a town nearby much to the surprise of the locals.
Good memory on both points.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
FT has a luxury hotel forum. It's not a bad place to start for ideas. But honestly, if you're in the market, just googling will get you there.

I'm not a resort person for my own travel, but I've planned enough of these for folks (I do Italy travel consulting as a side gig) and never had too much trouble finding these sorts of places.
The Forbes Travel Guide is also a good source; at least they haven't steered us wrong. Oddly though, the country of Ireland is not on their list

The hotel looks very relaxing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.