Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I am not sure whether that is a good thing having First so open as your pics suggest or not when compared to Emirates and their suites. I liked the amount of light the cabin got and it seemed so very open and not cramped which Emirates looks like in comparison.

Enjoying your trip report so far.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:38 am

I hate posting on a "public" forum with the hoi polloi....but Mr. SFO777 that AF F seats looks like a good Biz seat at best.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Agree that is one lame looking F bar; granted my only comparison is the EK F bar. As much as I like the concept of an F bar, my experience on dozens of EK flights, is that it is rarely if ever used by any of the F passengers. I usually find the other F passengers back at the Biz bar.

In F, I appreciate the attentive (not obtrusive) bar service provided by the attendants on CX, LH etc.

Your trip reports of La Premiere make me want to fly it - I just can't bring myself to spend the money on a flight that will not net me anything other than the experience. Hello my name is MikeFly and I'm an addict...
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Looks like a pretty solid La Prem flight, though I'd have to agree that the A380 cabin leaves a lot to be desired when compared with that 77W cabin. Hopefully AF can get these A380s brought up to that standard quickly because as an aircraft I certainly prefer the A380, but that 77W F product is clearly better.

I must say I'm a big fan of the AF china and glassware. It all looks very clean, elegant, yet modern and attractive. Especially like those dinner plates with the winged-seahorse logo. Very classy. ^

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
Really? "Treatment" just for dressing differently to you?
Dressing differently? No.

Wearing a Halloween costume? Yes.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up

SFO777:
Great trip report, as usual.

You need to wear a CLE Cavaliers shirt whenever transiting the Bay Area.

Wishful (hopeful) thinking on the CLE news yesterday:
In October, game 1 of the 2016 World Series is the same night as the Cavs home opener.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Try not to faint SFO777 but that upstairs area on the AF380 is an "art gallery".
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:43 am

You know what's missing here...a review of the TP. If we're going to nit-pick, let's focus on what counts.

J/F is all well and good if the TP is of high quality...but it's sandpaper or that insanely soft stuff ...ugh. Might as well walk.

A few years ago I was in the George V...terrible TP. Ruined the whole thing.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Try not to faint SFO777 but that upstairs area on the AF380 is an "art gallery".
Seems like quite a waste of space.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Love the AF glasses!

Why would you pass on breakfast!? We wanted to see what it was like!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by cmd320
Seems like quite a waste of space.
We were in Premium Voyageur on the A380 a couple years ago (which is on the upper deck) and husband's ambien apparently wasn't working as he was up chatting with the FAs in the middle of the night and they gave him a tour -including the "art gallery". He would agree it was a waste of space - but he's still happy he got to check it out
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:57 am

I like to see faces. It's interesting.

There is more privacy in Y.

The lack of privacy in the F cabin is somewhat shocking. I don't want people to see me picking my nose.

I am dreaming of that Lava cake. I wish I knew who the caterer is.

Please keep up with your comments. I find them amusing. I like your sense of humour.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777

In summary, I love Air France service and our crew was very good with only a couple of minor service flaws. But I would not fly on their A380 when I had a choice of the 77W or Lufthansa First. The cabin is simply too dated and too open. With only 4 passengers, the lack of privacy was not a problem. But with a full cabin, it certainly would have been. Also, the single small lav and a small changing room is simply unacceptable for a cabin of this size. Air France can't refurbish this plane soon enough. Fortunately, our September LAX-Paris trip is on the 77W both ways.
Totally agree. The seat looks more like a business class seat on Qatar's A350, A380 and B787. The AF's F cabin is simply way too open!

Having read so many of your reports and enjoyed reading them, I get used to your sense of humor, sarcasm, direct remarks and fun photos. I think that is your trade-mark here in FT trip report forum. If you ever changed your style, I might go read something else.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Great TR as always SFO777. I look forward to reading the "on the ground" parts of your report. My wife, 1-year-old son and I went to Ireland in June...flew into DUB, rented a car and spent 10 days touring Northern Ireland and Donegal. We slummed it in EI and DL Y class, however.

I will be curious to read your experience with "Platinum Services" if you choose to use it for your return out of DUB. I called last week to inquire about using them on an upcoming Ireland trip with my father (who is 90 and can't walk long distances), and they quoted a very reasonable €240 for two passengers. Not sure if this will help much with the US CBP lines, though.

As for Mrs. SFO and her disdain for United Express... she's got it good in SNA with all 2-class aircraft. Here in RIC almost all the "United" flights are still on 50-seat RJs which I avoid with a passion!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:39 pm

Thanks for another great report SFO777. I'm only partially through but already enjoying it.

I could wait to post my enjoyment of all the comments on blurred faces. There is no expectation of privacy in public places. It must be exhausting for these folks in public places to go up to anyone with a camera and insist they be blurred. I'm glad I have more important things to worry about than random people having my photo which impacts me in no way what so ever.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by cmd320
Dressing differently? No.

Wearing a Halloween costume? Yes.
^ Kind of what I was thinking! She dressed like that because she wanted attention. She doesn't dye her hair purple and wear bunny ears to the airport and think "I'm trying to be discreet".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.