Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Premičre

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I usually enjoy your reports, but I echo the comments on the first page, there was no reason to shame the woman at SNA because she dressed differently or to mock the passengers in the lounge for being "business class at best".

I stopped reading at that point.

SFO, stop saying anything negative or humerous or expressing a opininon or you will also be criticised !!

Come one is no one allowed to say what they think and have some fun ?? I am buisness class at best and took no offense, better this poster had stopped reading and also writing !, But then of course he as SFO is entitled to his opinion.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
SFO, stop saying anything negative or humerous or expressing a opininon or you will also be criticised !!

Come one is no one allowed to say what they think and have some fun ?? I am buisness class at best and took no offense, better this poster had stopped reading and also writing !, But then of course he as SFO is entitled to his opinion.
You can be humorous without offending everyone around. This is common theme now, these TR's have become just negative towards people who cannot pay for First Class tickets
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk
I think Kim Kardashian and Kanye West spent some of their honeymoon there.

They also went to the cinema in a town nearby much to the surprise of the locals.
They did, Booked for a week stayed two nights paid with their Amex centurion and asked amax for a refund!

Worst part was they asked the hotel to spend Ł10k on flowers for them.... I'd hate what else they asked the hotel to do and left them penniless. The hotel denied it but it was leaked to the press by someone in the hotel so who knows really.

Last edited by pacenotes; Aug 30, 2016 at 3:49 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

He can write whatever he wants if he wants to write it, but I can tell him why I'm not going to read his report. Especially as I didn't find it funny, just cruel and unnecessary.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by pacenotes
They did, Booked for a week stayed two nights paid with their Amex centurion and asked amax for a refund!

Worst part was they asked the hotel to spend Ł10k on flowers for them.... I'd hate what else they asked the hotel to do and left them penniless. The hotel denied it but it was leaked to the press by someone in the hotel so who knows really.
I think that was at a different hotel in Ireland before they got to Ballyfinn. I checked the Daily Mail before my earlier post and read it there. I forget the name of that hotel (and I'm not going back to read it again - once was enough ).
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Especially as I didn't find it funny, just cruel and unnecessary.
Agreed. It has nothing to do with being politically correct.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Martina70
Did I spell it wrong ( I have been known to make grammar/spelling mistakes)?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...hed+definition
I believe the comments were directed not at the spelling or the definition, but the usage.

"We relished it" would be correct, rather than "we relished in it."
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:50 pm

He can write whatever he wants if he wants to write it, but I can tell him why I'm not going to read his report. Especially as I didn't find it funny, just cruel and unnecessary.
100% agree, he can write whatever he likes, just cant understand why you would need to object, unless someting was directed at you. I find all this PC BS rather tiring, I want to read the TR, for entertainment, I think that is SFO's intention
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
You can be humorous without offending everyone around. This is common theme now, these TR's have become just negative towards people who cannot pay for First Class tickets
You can indeed, and he did. Not everyone was offended, I was not and other posters were not, so using your hyperbole you have screwed your argument. If some where offended, well so what, i am willing to bet SFO can handle that, as most grown ups can.

As said, I am business class at best but enjot time in First lounges and actually find it amusing watching "real" First pax sizing me up.

No offence taken, just a good chuckle
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
100% agree, he can write whatever he likes, just cant understand why you would need to object, unless someting was directed at you. I find all this PC BS rather tiring, I want to read the TR, for entertainment, I think that is SFO's intention
So he should be able to write what he wants, but people should only comment to praise it? That doesn't make any sense, you can't have free speech on one side but not the other.

This isn't about "PC", this is a community website and we're all a part of this community. I've been a trip report writer for over a dozen years, I like this forum more than most on this site. And I had issues with this report and I pointed them out, I'm sorry we don't agree.

Also, based on your logic, as my first comment wasn't directed at you, why did you feel the need to object to it?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I agree, I'm not quite sure what the uproar is. I guess we don't have many comedy fans here.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I hope SFO777 posts more pictures soon. Without constant updates, this thread just drifts towards talking about writing style, humor style, free speech, and omni topics....
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I agree, I'm not quite sure what the uproar is. I guess we don't have many comedy fans here.
Comedy is supposed to be funny @:-)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Mr. and Mrs. SFO sitting in a row with three seats!!?? What's next, cats having puppies?
LOL. Welcome to Europe, where Business Class means Coach seats with an open middle unless you have the misfortune to fly SAS.

Originally Posted by view
And make America great again?
Precisely.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
My Goodness! Seems like every time I check in at the Trip Reports Forum, you and Mrs. 777 are gallivanting off to somewhere new and exciting - in a style that many can only dream of. Thank you once again for a very nicely presented look at First Class travel at its finest. ^^
Thanks very much Seat 2A. Hope you are having a good summer in Denali.

Originally Posted by batmandds
The throwaway Y ticket sounds intriguing. It there a way to do that thru GF or ITA?
The best and easiest way is to go thru a TA.

Could the duck have gone to one of the pilots?
I guess that's entirely possible. I'd rather he have the duck instead of striking.

Originally Posted by AndrewE
Thank you SFO777 for another great report! I'm curious about this dish - are those cubes and two slivers cheese ?
Good question. Sorry but I just can't recall.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Excellent trip report as always.
Ballyfin looks amazing and has been placed on my bucket list.
Thanks very much apodo77. Ballyfin is simply out of this world.

Originally Posted by Babaduck
Loving the report & looking forward to reading your opinions on our lovely country. In stitches at the Outraged of Oregon and the other moral majority who really should get over themselves, bless.
We're well used to crossing live runways at DUB Terminal 1 as most of the aircraft don't land at an airbridge. At least it wasn't raining...
Thank you Babaduck. We really enjoyed your wonderful country and especially the people. But I've never seen any airport where you have to walk across an active roadway to get to the terminal. BTW, Terminal 2 is very attractive. ^

Originally Posted by OrangeCrow
How do you even find that kind of places? Travel agent? A special and secret website that I'm not aware of? I doubt that you wake up one day, open tripadvisor and think 'hmmm, let me check Ballyfin today'...
Thanks OrangeCrow. I actually first read about it here on FT, in the luxury hotel forum. A great resource.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The Solarium looks like a fantastic place for lunch (I hope the food matched the setting). 🤗
The Solarium was a great setting for lunch, and the food was very good.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
You did not go for a swim in the indoor pool? It looks gorgeous. The food looks extraordinary. I had a fantastic meal at Ashford Castle and that was 40 years ago. It was so good I still remember it.
Seems it was somewhat chilly?
Sorry Bretteee, I didn't even get to the pool. I'm not a pool person especially when it's on 16C/61F outside.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
FT has a luxury hotel forum. It's not a bad place to start for ideas. But honestly, if you're in the market, just googling will get you there.
Exactly. Lots of great ideas from fellow FTers who have actually stayed there.

I think Kim Kardashian and Kanye West spent some of their honeymoon there. They also went to the cinema in a town nearby much to the surprise of the locals.
OK, that I did not know, or even need to know.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
The Forbes Travel Guide is also a good source; at least they haven't steered us wrong. Oddly though, the country of Ireland is not on their list The hotel looks very relaxing!
Thanks CHOPCHOP767. Totally relaxing. They also have a library with over 5,000 books if you are into reading. I could definitely spend more time there.

Originally Posted by hebbinator
You are a legend sir, I've always enjoyed reading your reports... Cheers...
Thanks so much hebbinator.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Nice Report as always. I agree with SAtraveller that an "art gallery" in comparison to other features that could be used in this space is a bad management decision that just looks silly if you know what is out there. Even benches are nicer to hang out in instead of looking at a dark space.
Thank very much worldtraveller73.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Had plans to visit Balyfin this October, but it didn´t worked out. Shame!
Hope you can get there and enjoy it soon.

Originally Posted by Martina70
Very enjoyable trip report. I can't wait to read and see more. I was born in N.Ireland and have family in the south, so I have so many good memories there.
Thank you very much Martina70.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
SFO777 evidently lives very, very dangerously. First he combines Ambien with generous pours from AF's cellars. And then he mixes a couple of bottles from his hotel's perhaps equally impressive offerings with all that wild, swirling bedroom wallpaper! Reminds me of an old hit song from the 1960s -- "Dizzy, / I'm so Dizzy, my head is spinning . . . ."
LOL. Yeah, I guess I should be careful about Ambien.

Originally Posted by shgroamer
Ireland is probably my favorite country and I love your TR's, so this made me giddy when I saw it. ^
Originally Posted by Bretteee
I think this is a Chateau and Relais Hotel. They have Manor houses throughout Europe. They have a very nice book of hotels, including quite a few in Ireland.
Indeed, Ballyfin is a Relais & Chateaux member.

Originally Posted by mromalley
How did you not just say "I'd like one of everything please."
Very difficult. We had a 3+hour connection which seemed just right. If I had been a little hungrier, I would have definitely tried a lot more. We'll be back in a month and will try to do a better job of sampling the different options.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I stopped reading at that point.
He can write whatever he wants if he wants to write it, but I can tell him why I'm not going to read his report.
This isn't about "PC", this is a community website and we're all a part of this community. I've been a trip report writer for over a dozen years, I like this forum more than most on this site. And I had issues with this report and I pointed them out...
Comedy is supposed to be funny @:-)
LOL. Yet here you are well past "that point" at which you claim to have stopped reading... commenting not once, not twice, not thrice, but now four times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.