Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If I were staying at a place that looked like that, the food as pictured would not be what I'd expect to be served. Even the first lunch that you didn't like looked okay, but something I'd expect to eat at home, not at a friggin' castle.
I have to agree, go out to the castle's web page and look at the cost of the room SFO777 stayed in, no way José, for that price the food best be perfect..
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
SO777 – kudos to you, you are the only person I can think of who would fly La Premiere to visit Ireland

As an Irishman myself I was nervous pre-reading as to whether the local hotels and restaurants would be able to deliver to your expectations, and I am really pleased to see that in the main it has done (Ashford Castle aside). We have a small population and not the most substantial culinary tradition but I think there is some great hospitality to be had in the country, some of it genuinely world class.

For anyone else reading and feeling inspired the Wild Atlantic Way is worth researching – a recent tourism initiative, on paper it was no more than adding some signage to the existing road network to point the way, but in practice it has made navigating that route extremely easy (the roads are often small/basic, and we don’t always go in for detailed directions in Ireland!) and has sparked the set-up of lots of little new hospitality operations along the coast, to complement existing attractions. Best experience by driving (as some have suggested above), it is highly recommended.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Wow. I can not believe Ashford Castle let you down so badly. I have stayed here a few times and found it exceptional. You have had so many service failures it is hard to excuse.

I am surprised you missed a trick in Adare. There is a fabulous hotel there with stunning food and surrounds. http://www.adaremanor.com/
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by daftboy
As an Irishman myself I was nervous pre-reading as to whether the local hotels and restaurants would be able to deliver to your expectations, and I am really pleased to see that in the main it has done (Ashford Castle aside). We have a small population and not the most substantial culinary tradition but I think there is some great hospitality to be had in the country, some of it genuinely world class.
We are currently thinking about a trip to Ireland (I can't say planning, because if I took every trip I planned, I'd never work). Would you be willing to share any of your favorites along your preferred route around the island? It doesn't have to be high end at all, authenticity preferred over anything else. We eat our lobster out of hot dog buns off of paper plates here in Maine.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
We are currently thinking about a trip to Ireland (I can't say planning, because if I took every trip I planned, I'd never work). Would you be willing to share any of your favorites along your preferred route around the island? It doesn't have to be high end at all, authenticity preferred over anything else. We eat our lobster out of hot dog buns off of paper plates here in Maine.
Just like they should be!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
You could spend a year in Ireland and not do everything. Stick to the coast to get the best of Ireland.

I grew up on the west coast, Galway is a small city but a great atmosphere where the pubs seem to not close. Westport is a small town near connemara & Achill island.

Killarney like SO77 would also be on my list same as going north to Donegal.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:41 am
DEK

Wait wait! Not all of us here in Maine eat our lobster out of hot dog buns! Some of us prefer to eat it right out of the shell (after dipping the meat in melted butter of course)!

Sorry to hijack your thread SFO777 great trip report by the way!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by pacenotes
Galway is a small city but a great atmosphere where the pubs seem to not close.
We loved Galway and enjoyed several visits each to Taaffes and Tig Coili, and eating eyesters at Conlon's. ^
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
The Ashford Castle looks very Downton Abbey-ish. Looking forward to your Paris trip in a few weeks.
Thank you HawaiiTrvlr.

Originally Posted by Thor3
Great photography -as always!
Thanks very much Thor3.

Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s a number.
@ Ashford Castle. I guess if I do a Ireland-trip I will stay. I´m fascinated from this place ´from the Moment I saw the first Picture in a LHW-prospect about 20 years ago. It´s a shame they do such a lousy job with soft product.
Thanks offerendum. It's definitely worth a visit. Just be sure to temper your service expectations.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
The food at Ashford seems to have gone down the tubes since 1977 when I ate there. It was fantastic. Thanks for a great trip report. I always wanted to go to Killarney but also the Dingle Peninsula which an Irish person told me to visit.
Thank you Bretteee. The place probably doesn't look much different from 40 years ago, or even a few 100 years ago.

Originally Posted by nequine
Not sure what period the room was supposed to have been set in but the colour scheme looked hideous!!! Fine I suppose if you like bright colours!
LOL. Certainly not for everyone.

Originally Posted by JohnRain

What a shame that Ashford Castle was such a major disappointment.
But of course it makes for a very entertaining TR!
Indeed. Thanks JohnRain. Looking forward to your new trip report.

Originally Posted by stevie
The true Irish experience is to hit the road and stop off in various places. The Dingle area being one of them. Stay in a hotel in town and try the various restaurants/pubs where the locals go. This should follow driving and walking around the coast. Great TR but seems to miss the true Irish experience, the true feel for Ireland is far from luxury castles and their grounds.
Thank you stevie. I would agree that it's probably not the true Irish experience. But with only six days, we couldn't do everything.

Originally Posted by BertieWooster
Great TR as always SFO777. Did you think about heading over to the Aran Islands as part of your itinerary at all?
Thanks BertieWooster. We saw them from a distance but didn't really have the time to pop over.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier

Great choice!! I bought an apron (besides wines of course), last year when we spent a few weeks in Hermanus. Makes for great cooking evenings.
Thanks roadwarrier. Ever since our trip to Cape Town last year, I have much respect for SA wines. We hope to return next year.

Originally Posted by HMPS
SFO777 Another great TR. ( So what's new ? ) Your photographs of scenes show an eye for composition & lighting.
I wonder if you let Ashford management know how much room they have before they excel !
BTW : A request, in such cases may we suggest the Princess write the report ?
We want more laughs too (me thinks she has a way with words).
Thanks so much HMPS. Indeed, I have communicated with management and they have acknowledged the issues. As for the Princess writing reports, not sure that is going to happen. She prefers to make cameos and offer her generally witty comments, which I write down just to remember. I forgot to mention one of the funnier ones. It was the first morning at Ballyfin and pouring rain. She looked our the window, sighed and said "... OK, this will be my one and only trip to… what is this place called?. Oh yeah, Ireland..."

Originally Posted by millionsandmillions
Fabulous report. Thank you for putting the time in! I used a bunch of your restaurants/wines/activities from your South Africa report, so wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all your reports.
Thank so much millionsandmillions for your kind comments. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed some of our South Africa recommendations.

If I were staying at a place that looked like that, the food as pictured would not be what I'd expect to be served. Even the first lunch that you didn't like looked okay, but something I'd expect to eat at home, not at a friggin' castle.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I have to agree, go out to the castle's web page and look at the cost of the room SFO777 stayed in, no way José, for that price the food best be perfect..
Yeah, that was kind of what we were thinking. It was pretty much the same price as Ballyfin and there was no comparison. I thought Ballyfin was worth every euro while Ashford was a bit of a rip-off.

Originally Posted by daftboy
SO777 – kudos to you, you are the only person I can think of who would fly La Premiere to visit Ireland
For anyone else reading and feeling inspired the Wild Atlantic Way is worth researching – a recent tourism initiative, on paper it was no more than adding some signage to the existing road network to point the way, but in practice it has made navigating that route extremely easy (the roads are often small/basic, and we don’t always go in for detailed directions in Ireland!) and has sparked the set-up of lots of little new hospitality operations along the coast, to complement existing attractions. Best experience by driving (as some have suggested above),
it is highly recommended.
LOL. Thank you daftboy. I'd pretty much fly them and Lufthansa anywhere I could even with out of the way routing. I once flew YYZ-DEN via FRA (5 hours connection) back in the days before LifeMiles closed the Lufthansa First Class for 35,000 miles loophole.

Originally Posted by MickV
Wow. I can not believe Ashford Castle let you down so badly. I have stayed here a few times and found it exceptional. You have had so many service failures it is hard to excuse. I am surprised you missed a trick in Adare. There is a fabulous hotel there with stunning food and surrounds. http://www.adaremanor.com/
Thank you very much MickV. Our friends had stayed there before and were equally surprised. The castle and grounds are gorgeous. Too bad the service wasn't up to par. Thanks for the note on Adare Manor.

Other than what I wrote about, we really didn't stop much. The highlights for me were Ballyfin, the PanAm Clipper and the helicopter flight up the coast.

Just like they should be!
Indeed, is there any other way?

Originally Posted by pacenotes
You could spend a year in Ireland and not do everything. Stick to the coast to get the best of Ireland. I grew up on the west coast, Galway is a small city but a great atmosphere where the pubs seem to not close. Westport is a small town near connemara & Achill island.
Killarney like SFO77 would also be on my list same as going north to Donegal.
Thanks very much pacenotes.

Originally Posted by DEK
Wait wait! Not all of us here in Maine eat our lobster out of hot dog buns! Some of us prefer to eat it right out of the shell (after dipping the meat in melted butter of course)! Sorry to hijack your thread SFO777 great trip report by the way!
Thank you DEK. It's hard to beat fresh Maine lobster in Maine.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Off to Dublin

Getaway day from Ashford Castle and one last look out our window before a civilized 10:30am departure.

Our wonderful driver Patrick, promptly there to pick us up at "Ten Torrty".

One last look at Cong as we head for the 2.5 hour drive to Dublin.

We hit the burbs around 12:30p and Patrick suggested lunch at The K Club, which hosted the Irish Open this year. Beautiful grounds and hotel...

... But the food, not so much.

Ugh.

With no plans today, someone suggested The Guinness Storehouse. Interesting to see even if you aren't into Guinness. But Sunday afternoon is probably not the smartest time to go.

Mrs. SFO777 with a Guinness for the photo op only. One sip was enough.

After the Guinness experience, a 20 minute ride to our hotel for the night past cool looking parts of Dublin.

To our hotel for the night, The Shelbourne.

Other than the bar, a pretty ugly hotel. I didn't even take room pics. Mrs. SFO777's quip was "We're staying in a hostel". LOL.

Just after 7pm, we headed up the street and around the corner to a real gem of a restaurant, Shanahan's. Outstanding service and great food.

Great bread.

But the size of the servings was astounding. OK, one main could have fed the entire table.

Our desserts were incredible including one of the best Key Lime pies ever.

And back to the hotel before our 6:15am pick up.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Just posted the next installments SFO777.com
US PreClearance Lounge at DUB
American Airlines Business Class to JFK
AA cancels our JFK-LAX flight and we are downgraded to Business

Will post to FT as soon as possible.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 8, 2016 at 6:48 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SFO777
SFO777, how dare you show that A****** seatmate's hand you incorrigible jerk!

Also, two consecutive flights in business, hopefully Mrs. SFO777 is not currently pricing out LAX-DUB private jet flight costs!

Great report as always.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
SFO777, how dare you show that A****** seatmate's hand you incorrigible jerk!
Also, two consecutive flights in business, hopefully Mrs. SFO777 is not currently pricing out LAX-DUB private jet flight costs!
Great report as always.
LOL. Yeah, I sure got an earful that day.
Other than adding AA to her now ever growing "no fly" list, one of the better ones was "... only Lufthansa or Air France (to Europe) from now on..".

Thanks TheBOSman.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
The K Club grounds look fantastic!

Was the tour of the Guinness factory just follow a route or was it properly conducted tours with a guide? The place seems massive, much bigger than the Budwiser Brewery I visited in St. Louis.

LOL at the Stag guys on the truck thing. A lot of people are put off going to Dublin these days because of the amount of Stag/Hen do's heading there. Hotels seem to be trying to counteract having them in their premises by restricting the number of rooms that can be booked by one party.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:12 pm

Some places are victims of their own success. They probably draw enough just for being Ashford Castle that they can get away with mediocrity. Especially since most visitors are only going to come once in a lifetime anyway. It's a huge problem in Rome, Florence and Venice (especially the latter two). Enough that I can run a modest side business entirely predicated on helping new visitors to avoid those places

It's sad, though, because it means a giant, majestic castle doesn't provide the experience that its appearance suggests. And in this category, you can't get angry, reproduce it and implement higher service standards. There's only one Ashford Castle.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Yeah, I sure got an earful that day.
Other than adding AA to her now ever growing "no fly" list, one of the better ones was "... only Lufthansa or Air France (to Europe) from now on..".

Thanks TheBOSman.
That's not so bad. AA has been on my no-fly-to-Europe list for a while now. Especially in business (haven't flown first to Europe), my wife strongly prefers Air France. I'm a little more flexible - I really like Swiss and Alitalia as well.

After seeing some of your pics, Alitalia might serve a better meal in business class than Ashford Castle does on the ground Man that's a real shame, but the rest of the trip looked awesome. I really want to plan a couple of nights at Ballyfin when we go to Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.