Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Oh Boy!!

Many thanks for yet another amazing TR. Stumbled across it now - been hiding in the African Bushveld for a few days to recharge my batteries. Have not read your blog, but I hope that the weather has treated you well and that the trip is turning out great.
^^
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO
A Fan

Mr. SFO777,

I'm not a huge poster here on FT (more of a voyeur). Been following your TR's for years and am a big fan of yours here in Chicago. My friends were just at Ballyfin and shared many of the same positive impressions as you. I forwarded them a link to your TR.

And please keep being as candid and honest as possible - frankly its what makes your TR's so awesome.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Yet here you are well past "that point" at which you claim to have stopped reading... commenting not once, not twice, not thrice, but now four times.
LOL - I think SFO777 has a cyberstalking bully LOL
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:54 am

Thank you for this great trip report. (And all of your reports). I retired this year after 28 years of service at an airline with all those years in inflight service and management. It's nice to read experiences with an appreciation for superior customer service onboard, which, unfortunately, is often rare these days.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Well done, Sir! I've just finished with the heli transfer to Ashford on your website. The scenery was gorgeous and to avoid a 5 hour car transfer was absolute brilliance! I can only hope that you'll be avoiding the 380 on your return...please tell me there's another 77W in our reading future?!
Thank you NoLaGent. No 380 on the return, but I'll save the embarrassing details for that installment.

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I'm really enjoying your trip report & can't wait for the next instalment. However, I'm must confess that despite being a native of 35 years I haven't seen much of the areas in your report. Shame on me, they look fantastic & highlight the outstanding beauty & genuine warmth Ireland has to offer
Thanks so much andymcdonnell. There is just so much natural beauty in Ireland. Beautiful.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
How did you arrange the car / driver / guide to Killarney?
It was part of the entire package and was arranged thru our Virtuoso TA.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Oh Boy!! Many thanks for yet another amazing TR. Stumbled across it now - been hiding in the African Bushveld for a few days to recharge my batteries. Have not read your blog, but I hope that the weather has treated you well and that the trip is turning out great.
^^
Thanks very much roadwarrier. Hope you had an nice time in the Bushveld.

Originally Posted by Garvey6
Mr. SFO777, I'm not a huge poster here on FT (more of a voyeur). Been following your TR's for years and am a big fan of yours here in Chicago. My friends were just at Ballyfin and shared many of the same positive impressions as you. I forwarded them a link to your TR.
And please keep being as candid and honest as possible - frankly its what makes your TR's so awesome.
Thank you Garvey6 for your kind comments. They are much appreciated.

Originally Posted by dr4881
Thank you for this great trip report. (And all of your reports). I retired this year after 28 years of service at an airline with all those years in inflight service and management. It's nice to read experiences with an appreciation for superior customer service onboard, which, unfortunately, is often rare these days.
Thanks so much dr4881. Great service in the air is indeed alive and well, just a little harder to find than years ago.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Killarney

Our home for the next two nights was the pleasant Killarney Park Hotel, perfectly located in the center of the charming city of Killarney.

Our suite...

After a drink the hotel bar, we head a block and a half up the street to Ross Hotel and Cellar One.

Nice atmosphere and good food.

After dinner, we explored Main Street.

Due to insurance reasons?? LOL.

We spent part of the next day visiting our friends' family in nearby Listowel. Then back to the hotel, drinks at the bar and then to Cronins, a local favourite. Someone's having fun.

The next morning, I headed out bright and early for a quick trip thru KIllarney National Park. What a glorious calm and sunny morning.

Ross Castle.

Pretty funny as our horse queues for the lights just like the cars.

Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

None of us relished a 5+ hour drive from Killarny to Cong via the Cliffs of Moher as proposed on our initial itinerary. With spectacular scenery all along the west coast, the idea of a helicopter just seemed to make sense, as long as the weather cooperated. Just 5 minutes from The Killarney Park Hotel was the Killarney Racetrack where our chopper and pilot Liam met us at 10:45am. We discussed with him what we wanted to see along the way and a few minutes later, we were airborne for a fabulous 90 minute trip to and up the coast, with sites that one just can't see from the ground.

Ross Castle, which we had seen earlier that morning from the ground.

Less than 15 minutes after takeoff, we were at the coast which features one great looking golf course after another.

Buzzing Trump International at Doonbeg.

And the Cliffs of Moher, the scenic highlight of Ireland's spectacular west coast.

And continuing up the coast, now with dramatically different scenery...

... to Galway...

And finally to Ashford Castle.

The nearby town of Cong.

And turning back to Ashford Castle.

And a perfect landing on the castle's helipad.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 4, 2016 at 10:15 am
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I LOVE the Pan Am Clipper museum. How awesome!

And the helicopter ride. reminiscent, but completely different from the awesome small plane tour of Mt Mckinley(?) and the glaciers. So cool thanks for sharing!

I will pretend i am not jealous, but I am!!

T.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Beautiful photos of Ireland as you flew in the chopper!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: Meh
You should charge the Irish tourist board for those helicopter pics. I know the coast (and golf courses) very well having cycled up and down that coast but aerially it is spectacular.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fivevsone
I LOVE the Pan Am Clipper museum. How awesome! And the helicopter ride. reminiscent, but completely different from the awesome small plane tour of Mt Mckinley(?) and the glaciers. So cool thanks for sharing! I will pretend i am not jealous, but I am!! T.
Thanks very much fivevsone. The Clipper museum was great. And the views of the coast from the helicopter were spectacular.

Originally Posted by nequine
Beautiful photos of Ireland as you flew in the chopper!
Thank you nequine.

Originally Posted by stevie
You should charge the Irish tourist board for those helicopter pics. I know the coast (and golf courses) very well having cycled up and down that coast but aerially it is spectacular.
Ha. Thanks so much stevie. The coast is gorgeous.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Really enjoying this TR. The helicopter tour looks amazing! I already read the next installment on your website, and I can't understand what went on at Ashford Castle. The first few pictures looked beautiful, but your experiences thereafter were unbelievable, starting with that awful-looking meal. Mrs. SFO channeling Annie Oakley -- who would have thought? And the first picture of the hawk with the accompanying advice not to challenge him in a staring contest was very funny!

PS -- Wagyu corned beef. That alone is justification for a return to Ireland for us.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great thing with the heli! How much did you pay? Guess no points-options available
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Great report, I'm curious what was going on with the giant downed tree on the front lawn, it looked like it had a permanent barrier around it?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by hamburglar
What a shame of a first class cabin on the 380. There's hardly any privacy. Not sure how they can remain competitive.
Agreed! I'm stunned as I've seen the 77W on sfo's past TR and just can't get over a 1-2-1 F cabin in 2016 (in 2006 I was in AA F with 1-2-1). Even ual is 1-1-1. Or so I think.

I'm trying to figure a SFO-vce and had considered paying for AF F if it was in the 3-4K range but now it just doesn't feel right. Better off using my ual miles and just trying to find LH F or even any European C, even if it means a different USA city...
I'm just stunned with this AF F experience. It feels wrong to fly UAX to SFO (i.e. Time waste) just to get the A380 when their 77W flies out of lax.

Btw did ual interline the luggage to AF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.