Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We bid adieu to the wonderful and special Ballyfin staff and headed out for a day of touring on the way to Killarney, with our driver Patrick and a pretty cool set of wheels. Just a little fog this morning.

Which quickly dissipated once we left the valley.

Blue skies! An apparent rarity in Ireland.

Our first stop this morning was Limerick.

And St. John's Castle.

From the castle, back thru Limerick centre...

And then to Adare.

Where we stopped to lunch.

Nice atmosphere...

...but terrible, and pretty much inedible food.

We walked up the street to the main part of town.

OK, this looks more like it.

The Irish Stew was much better.

Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our next stop was the highight of the day... the Aviation Museum at Foynes, dedicated to the Pan Am Yankee Clipper and recogniton of Foynes' place in aviation history as the 1st aviation bridge between Europe and America for passenger service in the mid to late 1930s. Today, it is home to one of the original Yankee Clipper Boeing 314 flying boats.

Talk about leg room!

And aviation's first First Class suite.

On board dining room.

And the galley!

Upstairs on the flight deck.

With cool simulated view from the cockpit.

Back on the road again.

Thru Listowel, on our way to Killarney.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 1, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I hope SFO777 posts more pictures soon. Without constant updates, this thread just drifts towards talking about writing style, humor style, free speech, and omni topics....
For a comment-free HD version of this report , please visit SFO777.com.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Another awesome TR from SFO777.

I will add my comment that I think SFO777 made the appropiate decision re the face bluring.

As a F pax - Mr and Mrs SFO777 were entitiled to the peace of the F lounge, if others have access but not flying in the F cabin - and then behaive as if they have no class or respect for the benefit of being in the F lounge - they deserved to be shamed.

Privilege has its responsibility - in this case to your fellow lounge guests.

I know that when we are lucky enough to travel in J - we dress and behave in an appropriate manner.

I can remember the good old days when even Y pax dressed in their Sunday best to travel by airplane.

Having just flown SYD MEL return on Tiger a LCC - the experience was like travelling on Greyhound - very feral
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Yet here you are well past "that point" at which you claim to have stopped reading... commenting not once, not twice, not thrice, but now four times.
I was going to say the same !!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow they look great places to visit!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Great choice of destination, SFO777, Ballyfin looks wonderful and very Downton Abbeyesque indeed...
The Relais & Châteaux guide on my nightstand has one more dog ear as of this week. Looking forward to the rest!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by adampenrith

I will add my comment that I think SFO777 made the appropiate decision re the face bluring.

As a F pax - Mr and Mrs SFO777 were entitiled to the peace of the F lounge, if others have access but not flying in the F cabin - and then behaive as if they have no class or respect for the benefit of being in the F lounge - they deserved to be shamed.

Privilege has its responsibility - in this case to your fellow lounge guests.

I know that when we are lucky enough to travel in J - we dress and behave in an appropriate manner.

I can remember the good old days when even Y pax dressed in their Sunday best to travel by airplane.

Having just flown SYD MEL return on Tiger a LCC - the experience was like travelling on Greyhound - very feral
This really is a typical FT post, one with which I simply cannot relate to nor agree with.
The 'good' old days are long gone, now flying around in metal tubes vast distances is open the masses, feral or not which is open to one's high opinion, which is only a good thing.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Great pics SFO777. Really cool flying boat and memorabilia from that era! I've never seen the inside of one of those before but the spaciousness is remarkable, especially compared with aircraft that are 3-4x that size today. I wouldn't mind traveling by flying boat every now and then (or perhaps always)!

Originally Posted by CMK10
Comedy is supposed to be funny @:-)
I mean, I laughed...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Thanks very much adampenrith.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Great choice of destination, SFO777, Ballyfin looks wonderful and very Downton Abbeyesque indeed...
The Relais & Châteaux guide on my nightstand has one more dog ear as of this week. Looking forward to the rest!
Thanks so much JohnRain.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Great pics SFO777. Really cool flying boat and memorabilia from that era! I've never seen the inside of one of those before but the spaciousness is remarkable, especially compared with aircraft that are 3-4x that size today. I wouldn't mind traveling by flying boat every now and then (or perhaps always)!
Thanks cmd320. I would have loved to have been able to fly the Clipper. It certainly has amazing space but other than the First Class suite, the cabin was a little spartan and those seats sure don't look or feel very comfortable. I sat in one and although it did have some cushion, there was no recline function. Ten hours would be a long time to sit straight up. Nevertheless, it sure would have beaten 4-5 day on a boat if speed was important. Given the novelty and cutting edge high speed travel for 80 years ago, it was pretty cool to see.

Originally Posted by stevie
This really is a typical FT post, one with which I simply cannot relate to nor agree with. The 'good' old days are long gone, now flying around in metal tubes vast distances is open the masses, feral or not which is open to one's high opinion, which is only a good thing.
Perhaps based on how you travel, the good old days are long gone.

But most assuredly, for those that travel in First on top tier airlines like AF, LH, ME3 and select Asian airlines, the good old days are still here and even better. Not sure how one can get much better than connecting in CDG on AF, being coddled from arrival to departure and flying their gorgeous 77W with a single row of 4 seats in F. Certainly not open to the masses, feral or not.

Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Perhaps based on how you travel, the good old days are long gone.

But most assuredly, for those that travel in First on top tier airlines like AF, LH, ME3 and select Asian airlines, the good old days are still here and even better. Not sure how one can get much better than connecting in CDG on AF, being coddled from arrival to departure and flying their gorgeous 77W with a single row of 4 seats in F. Certainly not open to the masses, feral or not.
AF and LX F are somewhat unique in the regard that they are fairly inaccessible to most (including me, to date, although I love their business classes). Everything else may look nice, but it won't be hard for you to find 30 different bloggers with identical trip reports, or that guy whose name I don't want to remember who is pretty much famous for being a dick to airline staff and other passengers.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Well done, Sir! I've just finished with the heli transfer to Ashford on your website. The scenery was gorgeous and to avoid a 5 hour car transfer was absolute brilliance!

I can only hope that you'll be avoiding the 380 on your return...please tell me there's another 77W in our reading future?!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:31 am

I'm really enjoying your trip report & can't wait for the next instalment.

However, I'm must confess that despite being a native of 35 years I haven't seen much of the areas in your report. Shame on me, they look fantastic & highlight the outstanding beauty & genuine warmth Ireland has to offer
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:58 am

How did you arrange the car / driver / guide to Killarney?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:05 am

I don't even fly Business Class and I thought it was hilarious.

Everyone has a different sense of humour. Maybe going to tough British Boarding schools taught me not to be so sensitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.