Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by offerendum
Great thing with the heli! How much did you pay? Guess no points-options available
LOL. Very true, although I did earn triple points on the CC charge. The helicopter charter was $5,200, so $2,600 per couple.

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Really enjoying this TR. The helicopter tour looks amazing! I already read the next installment on your website, and I can't understand what went on at Ashford Castle. The first few pictures looked beautiful, but your experiences thereafter were unbelievable, starting with that awful-looking meal. Mrs. SFO channeling Annie Oakley -- who would have thought? And the first picture of the hawk with the accompanying advice not to challenge him in a staring contest was very funny!
PS -- Wagyu corned beef. That alone is justification for a return to Ireland for us.
Thanks very much KevinDTW. Not sure what the deal was at Ashford Castle. It's a lovely place and very highly rated but it just failed on so many levels during our stay.

Originally Posted by popoemt
Great report, I'm curious what was going on with the giant downed tree on the front lawn, it looked like it had a permanent barrier around it?
Thank you popoemt. I think that tree is now in the "art" category. It was a big old thing that was uprooted during a storm a few years ago and they decided to retain part of the trunk. It did look pretty cool.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Agreed! I'm stunned as I've seen the 77W on sfo's past TR and just can't get over a 1-2-1 F cabin in 2016 (in 2006 I was in AA F with 1-2-1). Even ual is 1-1-1. Or so I think.
I'm trying to figure a SFO-vce and had considered paying for AF F if it was in the 3-4K range but now it just doesn't feel right. Better off using my ual miles and just trying to find LH F or even any European C, even if it means a different USA city...
I'm just stunned with this AF F experience. It feels wrong to fly UAX to SFO (i.e. Time waste) just to get the A380 when their 77W flies out of lax.
Btw did ual interline the luggage to AF?
Thanks gaobest. Unfortunately, the 77W was not available on our departure date. The up charge to change our OSL-BOS roundtrip to return from SFO was only $300 per person vs. $1,700 to change to LAX. So for $2,800 ($2,600 net of the $100 SNA-SFO ticket) it was worth it to go to SFO. Not to worry though, we are going to Paris in 3 weeks and have the LAX-CDG 77W both ways. Not sure about the interline with AF as we only had carry-ons and it was not an issue.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by gaobest
Agreed! I'm stunned as I've seen the 77W on sfo's past TR and just can't get over a 1-2-1 F cabin in 2016 (in 2006 I was in AA F with 1-2-1). Even ual is 1-1-1. Or so I think.
772/77W F on UA and AA are still 1-2-1, spacious but not really as private as AF. Even SQ and EK F are 1-2-1 on 77W.

Only carrier that is 1-1-1 on 777 is CX.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Ashford Castle

After our grand arrival by helicopter...

... we checked in...

... took a wee tour and had lunch, whilst our rooms were being prepared.
Beautiful lobby and common areas on the main floor of the castle.

The bar...

And The Drawing Room for lunch and our first encounter with a service-challenged staff.

Nice view though.

... absolutely horrid food. Despite numerous RESERVED tables, without any guests the entire time we were there, we were seated at corner tables near the piano. Our surly waiter snapped at one of our friends when she questioned the lack of a table cloth on their adjacent table. We ordered lunch and wine, and this same waiter proceeded to empty the entire contents of our bottle of wine into our four glasses. Huh? No idea why or to where he disappeared, but fortunately he was replaced by a better waiter who knew how to pour wine properly, and did so on our second bottle. As for lunch, it was virtually inedible.

The chicken noodle soup was awful. Campbell's would have been better.

But worst was the inedible tuna salad sandwich.

Which was mostly mayonnaise.

OK, not a good start. Our rooms were now ready so we headed upstairs to unpack and relax a bit.

Pleasant room with strong period decor. Nothing subtle here, but I guess it works in a 13th century castle.

Nice view of the lake.

When we checked into our room, we were greeted with numerous embarrassing cards and notes addressing us as "Mr. SFO777 and Mrs. SoCal Friends", apparently assuming that we were swapping spouses this weekend.

Nice enough room, but the more time you spend, the more you notice. Like closet for hanging things but no drawers for clothes. Our fireplace looked nice but didn't work. I called the front desk and a guy from maintenance eventually came to check but was unable to get it working. He said he needed to confer with colleagues and return later. He never came back.

After my tour of the lovely grounds and a power nap, still no maintenance on the fireplace. I called the front desk and the staff person assured me that she would send someone to fix it. Not surprisingly, no one ever showed up that day.

Drinks in the bar before dinner...

And then across the bridge to Cullen's at the Cottage for dinner.

Dinner and in particular the service were quite good despite the constant menu references to and shilling for Ashford owner Bea Tollman, who seems quite full of herself.

After dinner and an Irish Coffee in the bar, we headed up to our room at around 10:30pm to find that no one had been in our room for turn down service or to fix the fireplace. Apparently I had inadvertently pushed the small electronic Do Not Disturb button, which had letters too small for a normal person to read. If the chap that showed us to our suite had explained this feature to us and that the traditional physical Do Not Disturb sign hanging on the door knob was only for show, perhaps I would have known. I called the front desk to ask about turn down and was advised that housekeeping had gone home for the evening. At 10:40pm? While the front desk clerk valiantly attempted turn down, he admitted that he really didn't know what should be done. So we were left on our own to turn down including figuring out how to close all the blinds and shutters, one of which was missing a knob, and had been for quite some time considering that the knob screw was painted over. LOL.

The next morning, we ordered room service which, while delivered promptly, was missing an orange juice and a spoon for the cereal. Also, the bathroom TV did not work.

At my request from the night before, the duty manager Michael called me around 9:30am. I detailed all of the above problems and he assured me that they would be fixed and that "we'll be speaking later in the day". I never heard from him again.

Our first stop this morning was clay shooting.

Mrs. SFO777, who honed her skills trimming the rabbit population in our back yard in Denver, was really good at this.

Back to castle...

For coffee...

And a pit stop.

Yet another example of spotty service.

Before heading out to the highlight of our stay, Falconry.

Our wonderful Falconry trainer/guide with one of our two beautiful Harris Hawks. There are absolutely wonderful creatures and guide docile, although he advised us to lose if we got into a staring contest. LOL. They will sit quietly on a glove on your left arm and are trained to return as soon as you stretch out your arm. Of course, the fact that they get food when they return trumps any affection they have for you.

And the main meal at the end of the walk... a baby chick.

The Quiet Man house, featured in the 1952 movie with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, which was filmed at Ashford Castle and adjacent town of Cong.

What a treat to spend an hour with the beautiful and entertaining creatures.

Over to lunch at the Cottage.

We returned later in the day to find that while the room had been properly cleaned by housekeeping, they forgot to leave wash cloths. The TV was now functioning but the fireplace still didn't work. I called the front desk to complain about the fireplace, and I was told that there was "miscommunication in the maintenance staff" but they would send someone again.

And dinner later that evening in the Dungeon. Wagyu corned beef was sensational.

We returned after dinner to a properly turned down room and a roaring fireplace. However, the fireplace once again failed to turn on the next morning.

While we enjoyed the activities at the castle, the multiple and continuing service failures during our stay were simply unacceptable, as was the distressing lack of responsiveness or even concern by managers on duty. Based on our experience, both of us would be hard pressed to recommend Ashford Castle to anyone, especially at the rates they charge.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 7, 2016 at 9:55 am
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
The Ashford Castle looks very Downtown Abbey-ish.

Looking forward to your Paris trip in a few weeks.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA
Great photography -as always!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Very true, although I did earn triple points on the CC charge. The helicopter charter was $5,200, so $2,600 per couple.
That´s a number.

@ Ashford Castle. I guess if I do a Ireland-trip I will stay. I´m fascinated from this place ´from the Moment I saw the first Picture in a LHW-prospect about 20 years ago. It´s a shame they do such a lousy job with soft product.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:06 pm

The food at Ashford seems to have gone down the tubes since 1977 when I ate there. It was fantastic.

Thanks for a great trip report. I always wanted to go to Killarney but also the Dingle Peninsula which an Irish person told me to visit.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Not sure what period the room was supposed to have been set in but the colour scheme looked hideous!!! Fine I suppose if you like bright colours!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by SFO777
When we checked into our room, we were greeted with numerous embarrassing cards and notes addressing us as "Mr. SFO777 and Mrs. SoCal Friends", apparently assuming that we were swapping spouses this weekend.

What a shame that Ashford Castle was such a major disappointment.
But of course it makes for a very entertaining TR!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Bretteee
The food at Ashford seems to have gone down the tubes since 1977 when I ate there. It was fantastic.

Thanks for a great trip report. I always wanted to go to Killarney but also the Dingle Peninsula which an Irish person told me to visit.
The true Irish experience is to hit the road and stop off in various places. The Dingle area being one of them. Stay in a hotel in town and try the various restaurants/pubs where the locals go. This should follow driving and walking around the coast.

Great TR but seems to miss the true Irish experience, the true feel for Ireland is far from luxury castles and their grounds.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
Great TR as always SFO777. Did you think about heading over to the Aran Islands as part of your itinerary at all?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

Great choice!! I bought an apron (besides wines of course), last year when we spent a few weeks in Hermanus. Makes for great cooking evenings.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
SFO777 Another great TR. ( So what's new ? )

Your photographs of scenes show an eye for composition & lighting.
I wonder if you let Ashford management know how much room they have before they excel !

BTW : A request, in such cases may we suggest the Princess write the report ?
We want more laughs too (me thinks she has a way with words).
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MillionMiler, HH Silver
Fabulous report. Thank you for putting the time in! I used a bunch of your restaurants/wines/activities from your South Africa report, so wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all your reports.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:06 am

If I were staying at a place that looked like that, the food as pictured would not be what I'd expect to be served. Even the first lunch that you didn't like looked okay, but something I'd expect to eat at home, not at a friggin' castle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.