Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, votes on FT can be set up so that they are not anonymous. For TB votes, this is the case except for the election of TB officers.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:38 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, votes on FT can be set up so that they are not anonymous. For TB votes, this is the case except for the election of TB officers.
It would be nice if it could be set so that while the poll is in progress, one could change their votes as well.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
I think it's a good idea. It's nice to know that someone has liked, appreciated or agreed with your post.

I've seen it on other forums and it works well.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This feature is already a done deal and pretty much ready to go.

Can this feature -- or poll voting -- be set up so that all members may know who is voting and how they voted/liked? If so, how easily can that be done?

The previous rating/voting/like system on FT was less "anonymous" than some had expected it to be.
I was hoping you were incorrect, but the more I see, the more I think you are correct that this is a done deal.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
I was hoping you were incorrect, but the more I see, the more I think you are correct that this is a done deal.
Why is this myth being thrown around? I know several TB Members who are either going to vote no or are still undecided.

The poll numbers are hardly encouraging for changing a vote to yes.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*

Can this feature -- or poll voting -- be set up so that all members may know who is voting and how they voted/liked? If so, how easily can that be done?
Functionally, yes. In vB, it looks like this on the 'create poll' page (I just set up a test poll on our forum to confirm):

Poll Timeout
If you would like this poll to automatically close after a period of time, enter a number of days here.

Set this to 0 if you would like the poll to remain open indefinitely.
Close poll days after 27th December 2014

Miscellaneous Options
-Allow multiple choice: Give users the ability to select more than one answer
-Make votes public: Displays all users who voted, and what choice they voted for.
-Automatically parse links in text

----------------------

In the misc. options area, one needs only to click the check box next to 'Make votes public' and a listing of voters and votes will be accessible in the summary result.

Generally, though, polls I've participated in are always anonymous and that's how we set them up on the forums I moderate, unless for some reason management requests other. The site owner or the development team (anyone with root access to the database) can read the raw results if they so choose, regardless.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by T8191
In its latest iteration, the British Army Rumour Service (arrse.co.uk) introduced a set of buttons visible for each post. Categories include: Like; Dislike; Funny; Informative; Bull....: Old [news/information].

That may be a bit excessive, and as I rarely go there these days I'm not quite sure how well its working. But certainly the option of "Helpful" and "Like" seem a possible benefit when trawling through long/complex Threads.

At the very least it might reduce the " ^ +1 " posts, which then often lead to a side-discussion or similar " ^ " posts.
Something like that was added to another forum I use.
I stopped going to said forum because of it.

This is not farcebook. There is no need for a "like" system.
If such a thing were to be added, then there must also be a way to opt out of it.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Himeno
Something like that was added to another forum I use. I stopped going to said forum because of it.

This is not farcebook. There is no need for a "like" system.
If such a thing were to be added, then there must also be a way to opt out of it.
I found not clicking buttons quite easy to do ... It's not mandatory
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The poll was created as a secret poll. No one--not even the admins--can undo that.

The poll was (AFAIK) made secret intentionally. If you want an open vote, you'll have to convince the TalkBoard to call for a new poll without the secret mode enabled.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:56 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PaulST
I think it's a good idea. It's nice to know that someone has liked, appreciated or agreed with your post.

I've seen it on other forums and it works well.
+1.

Shows how the "Like" button could work.

HTB.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kipper
It would be nice if it could be set so that while the poll is in progress, one could change their votes as well.
For TB votes, you cannot ever change your vote once it is caste.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For TB votes, you cannot ever change your vote once it is caste.
I can understand that, although it's definitely an argument in favor of waiting a while to vote.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I agree that a 'helpful' button would be nice, certainly much better than a 'like' button. To be really useful, what I'd like is a way to view a thread with only 'helpful' posts visible. This would be tremendously useful when searching for information. Far too often, a search returns some threads with many thousands of posts. Very likely the desired information is buried there, but it's far too much work for many FTers to read through the entire thread, or even the posts returned by a search, to try and find it. If there was a was to only view the 'helpful' posts, it would be much more likely that people would view the thread and see the information.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quite interesting how much the poll voting suddenly swung today from one category to another. The product of a lobbying effort having come to fruition or of more people being in the office today and a related shift in voting patterns? Quite the large swing in one fell swoop.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Quite interesting how much the poll voting suddenly swung today from one category to another. The product of a lobbying effort having come to fruition or of more people being in the office today and a related shift in voting patterns? Quite the large swing in one fell swoop.
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

Someone should write a song about it.

Sad to see FT gets to this level on a non issue vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.