Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

camachinist - good news, thanks!

if there is an assumption that the majority of regular flyertalk users are regularly active on social media, im not sure that is necessarily the case, because there are probably a lot of regular flyertalk users who only joined flyertalk to keep up to date on details on status/awards/travel. also amount of time flyertalk has been around vs growth of social media.

i imagine there are many of us who do not have any interest in having our posts liked.

at least when people send friend requests, i just say i dont use social media. but i will never give likes, because i dont use social media, so some of those who do will apply that (statistical) criteria against me/others in a negative way.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 21, 2014 at 2:49 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Originally Posted by kipper
Absolutely, I think there would be a "I'll like your post if you like my post," trade. I see it on other boards where I'm active.
I'll take your word for that - and that's really sad and childish unfortunately
Maybe not kipper's exact way of happening but if you have a system in place, F/t'ers will find a way to game it and what's that old saying-something about those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
However, to me the most useful aspect of having a "helpful" (far better term for FT than "like" IMO) button is so that I can later track the posts that I have found helpful. Sometimes you see a very useful piece of advice, which you don't need now but may need later. By flagging it as "helpful", you can then easily search it later from your own profile.
As implemented on most other forums, this is NOT the intended use of the Like/Helpful button.

What you're looking for can easily be accomplished today, without any changes to FT, by using the Favorites capability in your browser.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'll take your word for that - and that's really sad and childish unfortunately
It is sad and childish, but there will be people who will try to game any system. This one just has the potential to create a lot of problems.
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm against this button for a number of reasons, but I think this hypothesis is a bit too far fetched.
I've seen it on message boards, and others have pointed out other issues (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by camachinist
I don't normally get into this part of Flyertalk but punched the 'new posts' button, saw this thread and thought I'd share my experiences as a moderator of another forum (different content but on vBulletin) that has used the 'like' button for a couple years.

1. I haven't seen it cut down dramatically, or even a little, on '^^^^^ this!' type responses under full quotes of another post.

2. Our system shows the members who liked a post in a list at the bottom of the post and I've noted this to have become a method where often cliques exert political pressure on postings or threads, where one member of the clique posts up a missile at a fellow member and the others chime in with likes. A system which only shows number of likes and doesn't identify members visibly to other members could mitigate the politics of that somewhat, but not completely.

3. The use of the ignore list, in our software iteration and settings by the site owner, disallows a member from liking the post of another member they have on ignore but allows the ignored member to like their post. This arrangement has also been used to harass members, especially those who have like notifications turned on in their profile.

The subject matter is quite different than that of Flyertalk, and perhaps more potentially contentious or inflammatory but, if I had a button to take the like system off our forum today, I'd do it right now. I don't own the site so that won't happen.

Good luck in your choices.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by goalie
Maybe not kipper's exact way of happening but if you have a system in place, F/t'ers will find a way to game it and what's that old saying-something about those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it?
But I really don't see the gaming part here. The likes are meant to identify helpful posters. Unlike post padding which people can do to "earn" higher post counts, people can't control their own likes (that they receive).

No one gets brownie points for liking other peoples' posts. It's about the likes they get, which is out of their control, barring writing something good or helpful

I'm not trying to be dense or argumentative - I really think I must be missing something on the downside/potential for abuse
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:34 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
But I really don't see the gaming part here. The likes are meant to identify helpful posters. Unlike post padding which people can do to "earn" higher post counts, people can't control their own likes (that they receive).

No one gets brownie points for liking other peoples' posts. It's about the likes they get, which is out of their control, barring writing something good or helpful

I'm not trying to be dense or argumentative - I really think I must be missing something on the downside/potential for abuse
You'll find groups using those likes as a way to attack one poster or other posters with differing opinions.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal

1. Why do people post things? Why do they give back to the community? Because people like to know that they're helping people. The people who post helpful answers on FlyerTalk are doing it for the satisfaction of knowing that they are helping people and the reputation in the community that brings.

2. I think this proposal has the potential to substantially increase the amount of helpful content posted. It has the potential to motivate some of those knowledgeable travelers who have sat on the sidelines of FT to actually take the time to post helpful answers, because now instead of a nebulous "I think I'm helping people," people can actually easily get acknowledgment of their helpful posts and a concrete and specific "thanks" for that content.

3. I know for sure receiving "helpful" votes would motivate me to make sure I'm posting the best, most comprehensive answers I can and taking the time to post where I might otherwise be lazy and say, "I'll leave it for someone else to answer."
1. Yes they do. And given that there has not been a like to date, yet we have thousands of helpful posts all over FT it appears that they do so for the very reason you mention - giving back to the community - and not because of an artificial like.

2. You're sure imbibing like with a lot of power it doesn't necessarily have & also downplaying the current responses FTers receive such as thanks/agree/+1/or something written out. Why you think like counts more than the others in terms of feedback is a bit perplexing.

3. Well if it takes a like/helpful to get you to post to help others & not doing so simply because you feel you can contribute, that's just disappointing.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Since the forum functions fine for discussion without likes or post votes, there must be a reason why this issue was grown from the original post where a member opined that such a system could cut down on extraneous posts which do nothing more than like a previous post.

I won't speak for IB and don't know the political matrix of FT; in the case of our forum, our site owner initiated the like system and share system (scripts for sharing posts with social media) to grow the forum's commercial aspects, both to increase his incremental revenues from ads as well as to maintain and grow the forum's ranking in its class, as it is currently at or near (depends on reporting period) the highest search engine ranking in its subject matter.

If this is totally member-driven, please disregard. In our case, the members didn't care at all but, well, given a new toy, it got played with, some using it to build and others to tear down. Human nature I guess.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:07 am
Community Director Emerita

I won't speak for IB and don't know the political matrix of FT
I am the one who went to IB. I asked because of the discussion in this forum. I wanted to see if such a function was possible. Otherwise, there was a lot of needless discussion. IB said yes, there was an existing plug in. If we wanted it, we could have it. I asked if there was any value to IB. I was told no, at least not in its present form. So this is FTers deciding what would be best for FT with no input by our owners. It is the exception when IB imposes anything on FT. We are genuinely a member driven board.

Carol
Community Director
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I don't see a need, or benefit, for this 'button'.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. Yes they do. And given that there has not been a like to date, yet we have thousands of helpful posts all over FT it appears that they do so for the very reason you mention - giving back to the community - and not because of an artificial like.
Thousands? We could have tens of thousands.

2. You're sure imbibing like with a lot of power it doesn't necessarily have & also downplaying the current responses FTers receive such as thanks/agree/+1/or something written out. Why you think like counts more than the others in terms of feedback is a bit perplexing.
A few percent of people will bother to post a "Thanks." A much, much higher proportion will click a simple "Helpful" button.

3. Well if it takes a like/helpful to get you to post to help others & not doing so simply because you feel you can contribute, that's just disappointing.
Who likes to put energy into a vacuum? If no one ever responded to your posts, would you really put forth a lot of effort to make them? If so, you're a better person than I am.

I simply made a statement of fact of how it works in real life for me. I guess you can be disappointed with me all you want, but you know first-hand that I'm a pretty helpful poster, so I think I'm allowed to say that sometimes I don't feel like putting the energy into making a post. And if receiving some concrete appreciation for making a post would help me to overcome that, then how is that a disappointing or bad thing?

By the way, I don't think I'm alone in making that statement.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Since the forum functions fine for discussion without likes or post votes, there must be a reason why this issue was grown from the original post where a member opined that such a system could cut down on extraneous posts which do nothing more than like a previous post.

I won't speak for IB and don't know the political matrix of FT; in the case of our forum, our site owner initiated the like system and share system (scripts for sharing posts with social media) to grow the forum's commercial aspects, both to increase his incremental revenues from ads as well as to maintain and grow the forum's ranking in its class, as it is currently at or near (depends on reporting period) the highest search engine ranking in its subject matter.

If this is totally member-driven, please disregard. In our case, the members didn't care at all but, well, given a new toy, it got played with, some using it to build and others to tear down. Human nature I guess.
While FT CD gets the word on whether this feature stays in trial and then gets pulled or whether it gets more broadly implemented, there is no doubt in my mind that this tool was created for the purposes you mention -- that being to grow the commercial aspects for IB. That is not a reason to be for or against this rating/reputation game on FT, but this feature may get this place closer to making FT more like Facebook, a site where the members are a product for the site owner/operators to sell to others. And I'm really not interested in being someone else's product for sale more than I already am.

Speaking of human nature on FT, I have no doubt that this tool will turn out to be very "helpful" for exacerbating the challenges that already take place on FT, as between the following types of groups: company apologists vs non-apologists; DHS/TSA apologists vs non-DHS apologists; other Party A vs Party B.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 22, 2014 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by GUWonder
While FT CD gets the word on whether this feature stays in trial and then gets pulled or whether it gets more broadly implemented, there is no doubt in my mind that this tool was created for the purposes you mention -- that being to grow the commercial aspects for IB.
You've missed my post above.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am the one who went to IB. I asked because of the discussion in this forum. I wanted to see if such a function was possible. Otherwise, there was a lot of needless discussion. IB said yes, there was an existing plug in. If we wanted it, we could have it. I asked if there was any value to IB. I was told no, at least not in its present form. So this is FTers deciding what would be best for FT with no input by our owners. It is the exception when IB imposes anything on FT. We are genuinely a member driven board.

Carol
Community Director
The trial function is over for the "like" button. It was turned off earlier today.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jackal, what do you think of having a button, but posters not have counts?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Thanks for the clarification. I did note the like counter had gone away this morning so figured there was a back-end change.

I would vote for members to not have a counter, at least not a publicly visible one which could be drilled down to individual posts, but my understanding is that change is a hack rather than something canned, so some non-standard coding is required. I base that on interactions at vB.org because I was trying to sell our site owner on doing away with the counters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.