Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:48 am

I voted no. I don't see the point.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by goalie
Or maybe it is just a whole bunch of "brand new members"
You don't happen to mean members who have no posts, and who likely will never have any posts, do you?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:30 am

I've never seen any point to this sort of feature, and an attempt to introduce this feature on the main forum I frequent resulted in chaos and it was removed within days. This isn't Facebook.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
I wouldn't want such a button.

Reasons for me are detrimental development of cliques as mentioned before and seen in many other forums but much more that public opinion would be more guided by the amounts of "likes" and subsequent answerds directed in this direction (can happen on purpose but more often it's subconcious). I like to trawl through posts and find many snippets I might not if the "right" i.e. popular opinion is guided (again, not necessarily on purpose but we just work that way).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would have thought you and I would have been anything but a prime target given our history of activity on this issue. And PMs are not the only way we communicate on and off FT. Time and resources spent on other things to drive the vote would probably be better off invested on others, unless it was to try to convince us to get others whom we know are likely or certainly going to vote in the "preferred" way -- even if those others are lurkers-turned-new-members-turned-voters or double digit or less post count voters -- to vote. It's an open, "secret" vote for all who register regardless of FT member registration date, right?

Just saying.
My bold ... that was my only thought [if it even happened, which I'm not convinced it did].

I shall sit back and let democracy, and the good judgement of TalkBoard, take its course
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kipper
I can understand that, although it's definitely an argument in favor of waiting a while to vote.
I would have thought so, but I guess if your mind is already made up regardless, this isn't a consideration.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Interesting to see a big jump in votes overnight again
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
I think this thread in the BA forum has increased traffic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...our-forum.html
Perhaps, but in that thread there are more posting that they do not support the like button than do support it & their reasons why. They're very polite in their reasoning

Cheers.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Or maybe it is just a whole bunch of "brand new members"
You don't happen to mean members who have no posts, and who likely will never have any posts, do you?
On the advice of counsel and even where the poll is anonymous, I would be curious if IB has the ability/capability to see how many if any of the voters are in fact brand new members
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by intuition
Is it a fact that there will be no incentive on FT?

I asked earlier in this thread about the plan what to do with the data collected, ie would 'likes'/'helpful' be used for anything later on. Like top lists, status and so on, but I didn't really get an answer.
I was talking about FlyerTalk members.

As for Internet Brands, I have no knowledge about how — or if — the company would potentially benefit from the implementation of a “like” button...
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Quite interesting how much the poll voting suddenly swung today from one category to another. The product of a lobbying effort having come to fruition or of more people being in the office today and a related shift in voting patterns? Quite the large swing in one fell swoop.
Originally Posted by ozstamps
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

Someone should write a song about it.

Sad to see FT gets to this level on a non issue vote.
I noticed that as well, and questioned the large swing.
All due respect but, can we dial it back a notch here? I would say there's a 99.999999% chance that there is no lobbying effort. Yes, nsx wants this button, but I imagine he has better things to do with his time, as does anyone else in favor of this, then going out and lobbying people to vote for it. We're talking about a possible change to an internet bulletin board here...let's keep some perspective.

Plus, that poll can go to 60/40, or 75/25, and certain TB Members will still vote no.

Last edited by CMK10; Dec 28, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reason: Fixing a stupid thing I said
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10

Plus, that poll can go to 60/40, or 75/25, and certain TB Members will still vote no.
Are you saying that TB Members will ignore the poll and vote the way they were going to anyway? If so, then what is the purpose of the poll? We really want your opinion {winky winky}.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 pm

On the advice of counsel and even where the poll is anonymous, I would be curious if IB has the ability/capability to see how many if any of the voters are in fact brand new members
While some might be PMing their FT buddies to stop by & vote a certain way, I doubt if anyone is really going out & creating new handles to do so. That's a little too black helicopter.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I was talking about FlyerTalk members.

As for Internet Brands, I have no knowledge about how — or if — the company would potentially benefit from the implementation of a “like” button...
There's probably a way, although I'm not willing to spend much time thinking of one & IB pretty much lets FT do its own thing according to the CD. If like was being driven by IB for financial reasons, it would have been implemented a long time ago.

On a dif note, jackal had posted earlier that having a like/helpful button would get people to post more additional information/wouldn't be too lazy to post because they love the kudos that would come from a like. Interestingly enough, someone posted the opposite on the BA thread - that in the past they might contribute more or add on to what someone said, but now if they can just get by with posting like/helpful to someone they won't feel the need to provide additional information like they would have previously.

Cheers.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Are you saying that TB Members will ignore the poll and vote the way they were going to anyway? If so, then what is the purpose of the poll? We really want your opinion {winky winky}.
The poll is merely a tiny sample of people on this website. We have to vote based on what we think is best for Flyertalk. Will the votes of 500 or so be enough to change the FT experience for half a million people? Also, there's a number of responses in a separate thread in the BA forum that have to be taken into account.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
From what I've seen posted on this thread, TB members are paying attention to both the thread(s) & to the poll. There are 9 TB members. Some are wildly supportive & might vote yes re: of the poll/threads; some not really that supportive & might vote no re: of the poll/threads, and some will vote based more on the poll/threads (in TB, BA & Omni). And some might think they're going to vote one way & post it & then change their mind, as discussions occur. Sometimes viewpoints change; sometimes they don't. A poll wouldn't have been created & left open for a month if it was going to be ignored. However, the poll is not the only conduit for info. There are some threads (including this one) where FTers are being asked to provide input both for & against. TB members are paying attention (from what I can tell) to BOTH the threads & to the poll.

FWIW - prior to the thread getting bumped by nsx, the like thread had been dormant for a year. When it was active a year ago, FTers were pretty evenly split 50/50 on whether they wanted like. After the thread was bumped, the input was still pretty evenly split 50/50. After the poll was created, the no's were leading the yes's until recently. But even now the two aren't that far apart. Basically there's not a clear or clamoring mandate by FTers for such a feature.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.