Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm not going to propose or second any vote on reader feedback until we have a path to a forum-specific button. I don't know when or even if we will get such a path, and I can't tell you what the path will be. That's part of the discovery process we are on.

Any proposal I am part of will outline a path here to forum-selective reader feedback. You will read it here with time to comment on that aspect in case it changes any opinions. When I said this process would be slow and careful I meant it.
Bolding mine:. Then put this whole thing to bed until you have information of the non-inside type that you can share-along with answers to basic questions
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine:. Then put this whole thing to bed until you have information of the non-inside type that you can share-along with answers to basic questions
I don't see why we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. We're having a discussion of features and pros and cons. There's no need to wait to have that discussion, especially since the list of features we want might change IB's willingness to develop it.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Flyertall
those bars are for the most part well deserved, because the likes cannot all come from the same people. Here's why:

Suppose Jackal genuinely liked my post on this thread, and clicked the button and told me so, and then Jackal also just so happened to genuinely like another post I made on another thread in a different section of FT. Jackal would be prevented from liking me again, until he liked enough other posts by other users first. This prevents friends from liking each other back and forth over and over.
Not really. We're talking about a board where people have thousands of posts. They just have to like <x> number of other posts before they like a post from this person again. If anything, it encourages them to vote on a bunch of garbage content just because they have to use a bunch of votes up. I have seen this in action on other boards.

And when that happens, how do you "prove" clique-y behavior (which is often a violation of the rules)?
because presumably other people who found it useful would like it, which is how the system balances itself.
That assumes a lot. Look at the number of obvious reposts or things posted in the wrong forum. Those are actual problems for the mods today. They are user education issues. Those things are FAR more discoverable than something such as the like button.

I've been on forums where people didn't know for some time that this functionality existed. Hell, I was on this forum for some time before I realized the voting on a thread DIDN'T matter I don't think that the system would balance itself out as well as you think it would. Is that something that could be addressed with user education of some kind? Sure. But the other 2 problems I mention would be far more important to tackle first.
I no longer believe a like system of any kind should be introduced on this forum.
At least we can agree on this ^
people who fly a lot are typically A type personalities. They are outspoken. Assertive. Aggressive.
I have a different A word that I used for most of those folks. (Thanks IB for keeping the ignore list)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
I don't see why we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. We're having a discussion of features and pros and cons. There's no need to wait to have that discussion, especially since the list of features we want might change IB's willingness to develop it.
Because maybe there's other things more important and better suited for Flyertalk? You know, like a properly functioning mobile app (and if you truly want beta testers*, I'd bet the farm that you'd have a list of f/t'ers a mile long volunteering [myself included])

*as opposed to the mishegas created of having a trial where only those given permission to test it but only in their own forums couldn't follow simple instructions
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
I oppose the idea of a "Like" button.

Over the years, FT's mature and thoughtful discussions have frequently helped me make sense of awful and tragic events. (For current examples of this, see the threads about MH370 and QZ8501.) I don't see how a "like" button would improve the quality of that type of thread.

I have also been here when the community reacted to truly awful events involving community members-- such as the untimely demise of a young FT member (who was a frequent poster in the Delta forum). Do we really want to have "like" buttons under posts about the passing of a member?

What about the times when active FT members suddenly are exposed as public figures -- what possible good could come out of having "like" buttons under posts about a FT member's highly-publicized dispute over a trivial matter?

Hate-filled comments also appear on FT -- whenever a TSA employee is arrested for something, there are bound to be several hate-filled posts about the employee, their alleged crime and/or their employer. The annual devaluations of FF programs also cause angry hate-filled posts. Do we really need "like" buttons under those?

What about threads that are complaints about IB and/or the site sponsors? Imagine someone posts an awful thread about a site sponsor, e.g. a "[Site Sponsor] eats children" thread -- does IB really want "like" buttons under those threads?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
*as opposed to the mishegas created of having a trial where only those given permission to test it but only in their own forums couldn't follow simple instructions
Can you please answer me why you completely ignored my previous post and why you continue to insist there are black helicopters where you darn well know there aren't any? You absolutely know it; you had the exact same "insider information" as nsx did.

It sure looks to me like you want to argue just for the sake of arguing here.

(And as for accusing the TB members of not following protocol to only test it in their private forum--how do you know they were even given that directive? Have you talked with them? Have you confirmed it with Carol? And honestly, what relevance does that possibly have to anything being said in this forum? If you have a concern that a TalkBoard member violated Carol's instructions, why wouldn't you address it with Carol? It has no place here.)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I have a different A word that I used for most of those folks. (Thanks IB for keeping the ignore list)
Now here's where I for the first time felt the need for a "like" feature

But seriously, I think we have listed many of the issues, doubts and problems with a like feature. I don't think we can be more constructive with what is known. I'm not sure what bubble gum we are even supposed to be chewing on anymore.

So I think (again IMHO) we soon have reached the point where nsx and TB either comes forward with a more substantial proposition we can give new feedback on, motions/seconds/votes for whatever exists right now or calls it a day for now.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Because maybe there's other things more important and better suited for Flyertalk? You know, like a properly functioning mobile app (and if you truly want beta testers*, I'd bet the farm that you'd have a list of f/t'ers a mile long volunteering [myself included])
I've said it before, this is such a straw man argument. It is absolutely not true that if we weren't discussing the "Like" button issue IB would be rolling out a mobile app. It is not one or the other.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

FWIW - prior to the thread getting bumped by nsx, the like thread had been dormant for a year. When it was active a year ago, FTers were pretty evenly split 50/50 on whether they wanted like. After the thread was bumped, the input was still pretty evenly split 50/50. After the poll was created, the no's were leading the yes's until recently. But even now the two aren't that far apart. Basically there's not a clear or clamoring mandate by FTers for such a feature.

Cheers.
The above is still valid. Not seeing a huge clamoring of FTers asking for this, which is usually one of the more important criteria when TB considers something.

Originally Posted by kipper
I'm sad that there's been very little thought given to this by those pushing for it, yet when people bring up concerns, their concerns are minimized, and there's been no plan presented. I also think this will cause many, many issues in some forums, but some are unwilling to consider, or even listen to those concerns.
Agree, and it's a concern of mine (pardon the pun).

Originally Posted by Bouncer
My take, fwiw,

In OMNI/PR land, I guarantee you it'd be gamed within hours if not minutes!

If it is decided that it will be implemented, it I would recommend OMNI/PR be left out.Otherwise you're going to end up with a team of people with 5000 "likes" inside of a week.
Why should Omni be left out? Both Omnis are valid, functioning forums on FT that also get post counts. The only Omni that doesn't get post counts is Omni games.

FWIW - I also think if there's going to be a helpful button, there needs to be an unhelpful button. That's one way of identifying incorrect information.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It shouldn't have to, and maybe it doesn't...no idea what IB has planned with its resources. But given the slowness sometimes seen, the point was merely that if there were a prioritization, one is more important, that's all. If they can walk and chew gum simultaneously, great. Though I still am not in favor of the feature.
Agree. Having a good mobile app is & should be a much higher priority. For those saying IB can do both, let's just remember how long it's taking to get a decent mobile app & how long it's taking for a decent chat function. If IB needs to splinter resources to add a customized like function, even when there's not a large clamoring for it, it's not unreasonable to assume that some things will be further delayed. That's not a strawman, but based on IB development to date.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is IB working on modification of the "plug-in" for FT even before TB has voted on whatever it is that TB may end up voting on with regard to this entertaining popularity contest feature for FT? Is TB voting or going to be voting on specific plug-in modifications which it wants IB to make? Will that be part of the same motion or an after-thought motion?

Who knows the answers to the above questions? I would think that having some of these questions answered would make for more informed voting opportunities if these answers came well before a TB vote related to this topic hits.

If this is about a trial to get the most knowledge about how this may work, then what is wrong with maximizing data points and letting the trial be site-wide? Why should any forum on FT be excluded from the feature being enabled even post-re-trial, if the feature is so liked/helpful?
Agree with the above - and whether liked or not, those are valid questions.

Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks very much for the recap and the details, Flyertall!

This is especially helpful because it describes an algorithm for a partially-safeguarded reputation mechanism. I suppose that the underlying idea is that those new to FT or new to a forum would pay more attention to posts by members with higher reputation scores.

I was hoping for a somewhat different mechanism that would be focused on posts and not posters. The idea being that a few posts in a thread are good information while many are questions, speculation, incorrect information, etc. Obviously this concept is only meaningful in a forum largely dedicated to providing information. It has no meaning in a social or conversational forum.

From my own experience in various platforms, I'm skeptical that a mechanism for per-poster reputation would be helpful to FT, but I have no objection if the TB wishes to implement it. It's possible that it would end up being a good thing.

Independently of a per-poster reputation mechanism, I urge the TB and IB to consider a per-post helpfulness score system. While no such mechanism could ever be foolproof or perfect, I believe it could be useful as a tool in managing and finding information buried within large threads.
FT tried a reputation feature years ago. It failed badly. Having anything that rates a poster would probably result in the same if implemented now. Whether it can be broken out in terms of rating a post without rating the poster is a valid question.

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I oppose the idea of a "Like" button.

Over the years, FT's mature and thoughtful discussions have frequently helped me make sense of awful and tragic events. (For current examples of this, see the threads about MH370 and QZ8501.) I don't see how a "like" button would improve the quality of that type of thread.

I have also been here when the community reacted to truly awful events involving community members-- such as the untimely demise of a young FT member (who was a frequent poster in the Delta forum). Do we really want to have "like" buttons under posts about the passing of a member?

What about the times when active FT members suddenly are exposed as public figures -- what possible good could come out of having "like" buttons under posts about a FT member's highly-publicized dispute over a trivial matter?

Hate-filled comments also appear on FT -- whenever a TSA employee is arrested for something, there are bound to be several hate-filled posts about the employee, their alleged crime and/or their employer. The annual devaluations of FF programs also cause angry hate-filled posts. Do we really need "like" buttons under those?

What about threads that are complaints about IB and/or the site sponsors? Imagine someone posts an awful thread about a site sponsor, e.g. a "[Site Sponsor] eats children" thread -- does IB really want "like" buttons under those threads?
Hadn't even thought of all that, but valid points/questions.

Originally Posted by intuition

But seriously, I think we have listed many of the issues, doubts and problems with a like feature. I don't think we can be more constructive with what is known. I'm not sure what bubble gum we are even supposed to be chewing on anymore.

So I think (again IMHO) we soon have reached the point where nsx and TB either comes forward with a more substantial proposition we can give new feedback on, motions/seconds/votes for whatever exists right now or calls it a day for now.
Agree with the above. Your first sentence gets back to concerns many have posted that haven't yet been addressed which would need to be if the latter paragraph happens (given there isn't a huge clamoring for this by FTers, I'm more supportive of the calling it a day but that's just me).

BTW - I was chatting with some FTers re: the like topic & they're opposed. One of the things they said was that if this did get approved, they want the ability not to see likes at all. They didn't just mean in their profiles, but similar to putting someone on ignore. They don't want to see in posts if it was liked or not and that's across all forums. They don't want their view of FT cluttered, they don't want to participate in likes, they don't care if their posts are liked, they have no intention of giving them. So just as you can turn signatures on/off, put someone on ignore & it/they disappear they want that option so that their viewing/participation in FT continues as it has & is not disrupted. So that's a valid request & whether it can be done or not certainly needs to be answered (along with other items).

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 30, 2014 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
My question is how will this be used?

Currently we have a rate a thread button, however, I cannot tell or don't know how each thread is actually rated in relation to others in that forum. There is no number associated to help determine where or how a post is ranked.

These features will help to determine the value in not just the thread but the poster as well.

When I joined FT, I had no idea who "knew what". I had to contribute to see who I felt based on their posting content was "a value" to me.

This could help someone new to FT or new to a forum feel more comfortable taking advice or asking for an opinion from a fellow forumer.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
BTW - I was chatting with some FTers re: the like topic & they're opposed. One of the things they said was that if this did get approved, they want the ability not to see likes at all. They didn't just mean in their profiles, but similar to putting someone on ignore. They don't want to see in posts if it was liked or not and that's across all forums. They don't want their view of FT cluttered, they don't want to participate in likes, they don't care if their posts are liked, they have no intention of giving them. So just as you can turn signatures on/off, put someone on ignore & it/they disappear they want that option so that their viewing/participation in FT continues as it has & is not disrupted. So that's a valid request & whether it can be done or not certainly needs to be answered (along with other items).
Thanks for that excellent idea, Sharon. I don't know if any other site offers that functionality, so it might be hard to implement. But it belongs on the feature wish list.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Why should Omni be left out? Both Omnis are valid, functioning forums on FT that also get post counts. The only Omni that doesn't get post counts is Omni games.
If the intent is to rate the poster, then perhaps all forums should be eligible. If the intent is to rate a post for being helpful/having solid information, then I don't see the usefulness within forums or threads that are conversational.

FWIW - I also think if there's going to be a helpful button, there needs to be an unhelpful button. That's one way of identifying incorrect information.
Similar to the StackExchange rating system for both questions and answers, where a member can upvote or downvote both questions and answers? That could be one way to implement this. I don't have enough experience with StackExchange to be able to say if such a system would be good for FT, but it might be.

FT tried a reputation feature years ago. It failed badly. Having anything that rates a poster would probably result in the same if implemented now. Whether it can be broken out in terms of rating a post without rating the poster is a valid question.
I think a post rating system could be implemented that would be completely independent of poster reputation, and I'd encourage such a mechanism to be completely divorced from it. That is, having one's posts rated highly should not in any way rate a poster. I think this is one way to avoid cliques/friends/etc, and it also reflects the wide diversity of contexts within FT. A poster who provides helpful, solid information in one forum might not do the same in another forum.

I'd feel the same way about a 'like' mechanism, but I think a 'helpful' mechanism is sufficiently different (if implemented correctly) that I'd want to participate and more importantly, have the option to view long threads with only the most helpful posts shown. I wonder if the FTers you were chatting with would feel the same about a post rating system as opposed to a poster reputation system?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Does this example represent clutter? (The bottom line on the post)

Not suggesting it's a good or bad thing, nor that IB could implement that, but it's easily ignored.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/thr...-spent.195692/
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by anabolism

I'd feel the same way about a 'like' mechanism, but I think a 'helpful' mechanism is sufficiently different (if implemented correctly) that I'd want to participate and more importantly, have the option to view long threads with only the most helpful posts shown. I wonder if the FTers you were chatting with would feel the same about a post rating system as opposed to a poster reputation system?
Doubt it based on my conversation with them. Plus I don't think the system does what you would like it to do, ie, view long threads with only the most helpful posts shown. Also, someone can post good information but if by chance it doesn't get a bunch of likes/helpfuls you would end up not viewing that post even if the information was good.

BTW - I was on a hotel chain's BB today & in one thread, someone asked the company rep for information. They checked, came back - and posted wrong info that the company's own T&Cs refuted. Yet the post got lots of likes & that's helpful comments

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Plus I don't think the system does what you would like it to do, ie, view long threads with only the most helpful posts shown.
I doubt it would do that at first, but it could be added, and would need a basis of posts that were rated in order to function. So, I view a mechanism to rate posts as being a necessary first step towards making massive FT threads useful.

Also, someone can post good information but if by chance it doesn't get a bunch of likes/helpfuls you would end up not viewing that post even if the information was good.
Sure, that's a risk, but the alternative is to either skip the entire massive thread and just post a new question that's likely been answered somewhere in the thread, or read the last page or two of posts and do the same.

BTW - I was on a hotel chain's BB today & in one thread, someone asked the company rep for information. They checked, came back - and posted wrong info that the company's own T&Cs refuted. Yet the post got lots of likes & that's helpful comments
Sure, no system is perfect, and likely the people who liked/rated helpful though the information was accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.