Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
We are in beach villa 305. The pool is somewhat hidden from passersby. At the Sheraton Maldives last night they upgraded us to an OTW villa, as did the W Maldives in 2015. The beach villa reminds me a bit of the Vanna Belle in Koh Samui. Maybe we should take a tour of the OWV? Wonder what the upsell would cost as we are here on points for 3 nights.

The new GM greeted us. His second stint in the Maldives and this is his first weekend at the property.

Our butler pre-booked Cargo for us for tonight. Tomorrow night he booked Orientale for us.

I'd love to do Decanter but my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all and I hardly drink. Is the food enough of a draw to ask them if they have a menu sans alcohol?
The Beach Villa was almost an exact replica of the layout of the beach villas at the IC Baan Taing Ngam in Samui where we spent Xmas (and hated). In fairness the pool was a bit better and location and aspect much better but we hated the villa itself. I am basing this upon having had a nose into one of the Beach Villas rather than staying in one. The OWV was a different league, not just a BV overwater but a much nicer bigger layout. I think the cash price cost difference between the 2 is way too little. The 2 bed duplex Beach Villas did however look nice.

The food at Decanter is really good but it is the food and wine pairing which makes it really special (and excellent value given the cost of booze otherwise). It was by far the best food we ate in our week at Vommuli.

Cargo was really special for us because we were the only people dining there. It was closed due to "potential rain" which I think might also have been prompted by low booking numbers. I kicked up a fuss about this and they opened just for us.

Orientale is just a bit Meh as is Alba in the evening. Portion sizes are good but it seems to generate the most traffic of any restaurant on the island and the staff seemed to struggle to cope.

I would rate the food (And related service) on the island as follows:-

Decanter > Cargo > Crust > In Villa Dining > Alba Breakfast (Although the free booze could tip the balance here) > Alba (Dinner) > Whale bar (mostly due to the menu and cost for what it was) > Orientale (mostly due to the service not the menu)

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; May 12, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old May 16, 2017, 12:16 am

Vommuli pool closed - how important?

We're scheduled to stay at the St Regis Vommuli for three nights (using points, over water villa) in late May. Have been informed that the pool will be closed for maintenance during our stay. Any opinions on how important/impactful this will be? I am a bit concerned because the same thing happened when we were on a paid five-night stay at the Sheraton Maldives in February, and it was a disaster. At the Sheraton, the pool was the heart of the complex. The resort additionally ended up eliminating the club lounge privilege and then closing the main bar for "regular maintenance" as well - without warning, after we'd already checked in. Nowhere to relax and swim salt-free after water sports, no sunset cocktails or place to retreat during inclimate weather, continual climbing around construction... Rough life, I know But we've used an awful lot of points for Vommuli (paid the full 90k before the promotion - have to check on that), and plan to spend an awful lot of money on food, transport and activities. This was meant to be our do-over trip. (We're expats living only four hours away in Abu Dhabi.) Would it be worth rescheduling in your opinion? (Would require exorbitant airline fees.)
Old May 16, 2017, 12:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by lizka_2
We're scheduled to stay at the St Regis Vommuli for three nights (using points, over water villa) in late May. Have been informed that the pool will be closed for maintenance during our stay. Any opinions on how important/impactful this will be? I am a bit concerned because the same thing happened when we were on a paid five-night stay at the Sheraton Maldives in February, and it was a disaster. At the Sheraton, the pool was the heart of the complex. The resort additionally ended up eliminating the club lounge privilege and then closing the main bar for "regular maintenance" as well - without warning, after we'd already checked in. Nowhere to relax and swim salt-free after water sports, no sunset cocktails or place to retreat during inclimate weather, continual climbing around construction... Rough life, I know But we've used an awful lot of points for Vommuli (paid the full 90k before the promotion - have to check on that), and plan to spend an awful lot of money on food, transport and activities. This was meant to be our do-over trip. (We're expats living only four hours away in Abu Dhabi.) Would it be worth rescheduling in your opinion? (Would require exorbitant airline fees.)
Nothing personal, don't take it this way in that way at all, but I have always been puzzled by guests using freshwater pools in exotic saltwater destinations. Everywhere I've been there are some people like that, and I can't fathom the logic behind it - if one is allergic to saltwater, then maybe spending that sort of money to go there isn't the wisest idea, and if one doesn't like the sea, then ... well, same thing. As far as the washing off goes after salt sports - fair point, but the amount of chlorine (and pee, I should think) in those pools is hardly a "washing" that I would consider a washing in any sense of the word. /rant

Now to answer your question (considering my fairly obvious bias, haha). The pool at Vommuli is, first off, too cold compared to the warmth of the water around there. I did try it a few times when I couldn't get my toddler to swim in the ocean, but it was so cold in it that I just got very angry and tossed the kid into the ocean instead. I honestly do not think that it being closed is in any way worth rescheduling the vacation over, but once again, please take it with my obvious anti-pool bias, and maybe solicit a second opinion from someone who goes to Tahiti and sits in the pool the same day - their opinion might differ.

Incidentally, I find it odd that they've been open for barely 5 months and they already have to close the pool. Peculiar.

[edited to add] in my neverending rant I forgot to write the part that actually mattered - on your deck you will have a shower that you can use to wash off any salt residue, and if you REALLY need a small pool, your veranda has an excellent one that's pretty fun (especially if you face the Whale Bar, so that the water is actually warm).
Old May 16, 2017, 12:54 am

Ha! Yes, you do have a bias! Good to know about the warmer private pools facing the Whale Bar, thx!

We're not interested in sitting around the pool all day, but in having what we thought we booked available and in how central and potentially unsightly and experience-marring "maintenance" might be. At the Sheraton Maldives, they walled off the pool and started doing heavy construction with jackhammers, so not just the view from breakfast was awful, but for any other restaurant you had to climb around construction and there was daytime building noise - even at the beach. I see from the map that the Vommuli pool complex is to one side of the island, but Alba and the Whale Bar seem to be adjacent. Maybe I've just had a bad previous experience, but it's hard to imagine on such a small resort island that the pool and surrounding garden are not a big part of the aesthetic of the place - I guess that's why I'm asking.
Agree that three weeks of maintenance so soon after opening seems odd!
Old May 16, 2017, 12:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by lizka_2
Ha! Yes, you do have a bias!
No, we're not interested in sitting around the pool all day, but in having what we thought we booked available and in how central and potentially unsightly and experience-marring "maintenance" might be. At the Sheraton Maldives, they walled off the pool and started doing heavy construction with jackhammers, so not just the view from breakfast was awful, but for any other restaurant you had to climb around construction and there was daytime building noise - even at the beach. I see from the map that the Vommuli pool complex is to one side of the island, but Alba and the Whale Bar seem to be adjacent. Maybe I've just had a bad previous experience, but it's hard to imagine on such a small resort island that the pool and surrounding garden are not a big part of the aesthetic of the place - I guess that's why I'm asking.
Agree that three weeks of maintenance so soon after opening seems odd!
You don't need to pass by the pool to go to Alba; and to go to the Whale Bar, just swim from your villa! Just kidding, but no, you wouldn't really be prevented from accessing the Whale Bar by any construction.

I should think it's too early for jackhammers five months in, but who knows. The whole resort is odd - I wonder if the family villas and the named villas are in operation already? I found it odd that they opened with half of the premium cabins not ready, so I guess anything is possible.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We didn't use the main pool area once in our week at Vommuli and it was scarcely used by others. If closed you will lose a little ambience at night as it is interestingly lit but you would not see this unless standing right by it. The pool area really doesn't matter that much and isn't terribly central to most people's experience of the resort we thought. Potentially the worst impacted eatery would be crust however which is right next to the pool and partially looks over it.

Agree that noise would be a problem if there is any not just for the pool but the nearby villas, library, Alba and Whale bar (the latter has a nightly DJ kicking out tunes so suspect will be least affected.

My guess would be they are more likely to be doing some minor electrical work which requires the pool to be drained and we are heading towards low season.

We found the OWV pool fully adequate for our needs and as others have said there is a shower on the deck to rinse off.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; May 16, 2017 at 5:02 am
Old May 16, 2017, 2:08 am

Thanks, Land-of-Miles (and Pseudo Nim). I'll find out the exact details, but I feel reassured. Much appreciated!
Old May 16, 2017, 9:40 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I wonder if the family villas and the named villas are in operation already? I found it odd that they opened with half of the premium cabins not ready, so I guess anything is possible.
We got home from the property this morning. We had tours of the family villas. Don't think we saw a named villa.

I agree that nobody will feel that they missed out on something because the main pool is closed. It doesn't get much use.

Met the new manager, not a stranger to the Maldives.

Will post more details and pics as I recover from the 4 hour red-eye back to Singapore then straight to the office.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I also used the pool once and wouldn't care at all if it was closed. Even better if they comp you something as compensation
Old May 16, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
We were at the property 5/4-9, and I can echo the comments about the pool (as well as some of the other oddities experienced by others, such as restaurants being "booked full"). I think we might have dipped our toes in the pool once but otherwise didn't bother with it. Construction could be an eyesore during breakfast, but that obviously depends on the scope of that work.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N515CR
We were at the property 5/4-9, and I can echo the comments about the pool (as well as some of the other oddities experienced by others, such as restaurants being "booked full"). I think we might have dipped our toes in the pool once but otherwise didn't bother with it. Construction could be an eyesore during breakfast, but that obviously depends on the scope of that work.
Am sceptical about the "booked full", suspect it translates to not enough bookings to economically open or not enough staff to hit capacity and maintain service (that very much played out at Orientale we saw).
Old May 17, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Our butler pre-booked Cargo for us for tonight. Tomorrow night he booked Orientale for us.

I'd love to do Decanter but my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all and I hardly drink. Is the food enough of a draw to ask them if they have a menu sans alcohol?
The food is very good, but I don't think it would be worth the full price by itself.

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Am sceptical about the "booked full", suspect it translates to not enough bookings to economically open or not enough staff to hit capacity and maintain service (that very much played out at Orientale we saw).
I think it's that combined with the logistics of procuring all the food/ingredients. At least that seemed to be somewhat of a thing when we were chatting with the chef during the Decanter dinner.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by N515CR
The food is very good, but I don't think it would be worth the full price by itself.
There's always the option of asking to have the dinner without alcohol. They should reduce the price considerably.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:58 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
There's always the option of asking to have the dinner without alcohol. They should reduce the price considerably.
Sure, but if the theory behind the offering, and the price, is the pairing, then the alcohol is an inherent part of the meal. So without the alcohol the food must still be special.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, but if the theory behind the offering, and the price, is the pairing, then the alcohol is an inherent part of the meal. So without the alcohol the food must still be special.
It isn't just about the pairing but the pairing enhances the overall. If you are a foodie the standalone food offering at Decanter (which is a regularly changing menu as I understand it) and the 121 with the head sommelier and exec chef were very interesting experiences. If you would go to a top notch restaurant and not drink then I don't see any difference with Decanter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.