Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion pass 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:04 am

Uggh -- rookie mistake. This game can be humbling sometimes.

I thought I'd put $2k on one of my cards, but it turns out $69 of it was the annual fee. So, my January statement just closed $20 short of 50k for the companion pass. What a screw up.

So, I'm posting to give others a heads up -- pay attention to the annual fee and make sure you're over $2k in spend!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip
Another update - 2nd bonus posted today, I should now be able to get the rest of my points and the CP by early February!

Do you get companion pass right away when you hit the 110k or do you have to wait for a period?

I have 55,000 points amassed this year, and waiting on another 55,000 points from my SW business card which closes on 1/23/13, but I want to start using the companion pass right away as soon as 2/1/13.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shingu79
Do you get companion pass right away when you hit the 110k or do you have to wait for a period?

I have 55,000 points amassed this year, and waiting on another 55,000 points from my SW business card which closes on 1/23/13, but I want to start using the companion pass right away as soon as 2/1/13.

Thanks!
From what I've heard/read, you can call SW as soon as you've reached 110k and give them your info and that should expedite the process - should take a week or two after that to receive it. Can't vouch for this personally, since this is my first experience as well, but that is what I've heard.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip
From what I've heard/read, you can call SW as soon as you've reached 110k and give them your info and that should expedite the process - should take a week or two after that to receive it. Can't vouch for this personally, since this is my first experience as well, but that is what I've heard.
Here's additional information regarding this process from SW's website:

"Southwest Airlines issues notification (via postcard) to the Member that the Companion Pass eligibility has been reached. At this time, the Member will designate their Companion. This can be done online or by contacting us at 1-800-435-9792 and providing the Southwest Customer Representative your Companion's information (name, date of birth, and phone number). Once your Companion is designated, you'll receive your Companion Pass card in the mail within ten business days."
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Uggh -- rookie mistake. This game can be humbling sometimes.

I thought I'd put $2k on one of my cards, but it turns out $69 of it was the annual fee. So, my January statement just closed $20 short of 50k for the companion pass. What a screw up.

So, I'm posting to give others a heads up -- pay attention to the annual fee and make sure you're over $2k in spend!
Ha! I did exactly the same thing, and had the same thought -- rookie mistake. Glad it wasn't just me.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:01 am

I'd like the advice of someone who's had a CP before: are you allowed to change your companion 3x for the entire life of the pass, or 3x per year (6x total)?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Yes 3x per year. I spoke to them in Dec when I qualified. She said, you have 3 times to change companion until end of the year and then 3x times next year.....

We joked about me having alot of friends for the next few weeks.

Last edited by shawntobi; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:44 am
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by shawntobi
Yes 3x per year. I spoke to them in Dec whe I qualified. She said, you have 3 times to change companion until end of the year and then 3x times next year.....

We joked about me having alot of friends for the next few weeks.
Really - you're sure on that? I mean, I believe what you're saying...but the T&Cs state: "The Companion Pass is not transferrable. However, the Member may change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times within the validity period of the Pass."
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
I talked directly to the person who adds CP. I had to call the special number, as I wanted it to post immediately. It is the place they add Companions names to the system and do initial setup.

We discussed it, and I think they would be the most knowledgeable...since it isn’t general reservations!!!!

PS. you can always call and ask, but I dont think it matters until you hit.... I am very comfortable with what she told me.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Is anyone else still Pending Tier Status? This is ridiculous. 10 days into the year and they are still doing the math? Who is doing it? A drunk infant?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:31 pm

How do I track the companion pass progress?

I logged-in to my account and under Tier Status, only the A-list track is available. I clicked all over but just did not know how to find the companion pass tracker.

Can someone help? Thanks,
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by lililolo
I logged-in to my account and under Tier Status, only the A-list track is available. I clicked all over but just did not know how to find the companion pass tracker.

Can someone help? Thanks,
From the "My Account" page, click on the "My Rapid Rewards" tab and there'll be a summary down on the left-hand side. Click on "View Details" to see further information.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:47 pm

Thank you, I found it. thanks again.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mtftw
Is anyone else still Pending Tier Status? This is ridiculous. 10 days into the year and they are still doing the math? Who is doing it? A drunk infant?
Yep...same status here. In addition, my statement on the personal Visa closed on January 6 and the miles from my purchases posted, but I have yet to get the 50K bonus. Total spend on my first statement (December 6) was just over $900. Total spend on the Jan 6 statement was over $1300. I hit the $2000 spend on January 3.

Just crossed the $2000 spend on my business Visa yesterday with statement closing on Jan 14. Hopefully the 50K bonus from that spend will post more quickly.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by shawntobi
I talked directly to the person who adds CP. I had to call the special number, as I wanted it to post immediately. It is the place they add Companions names to the system and do initial setup.

We discussed it, and I think they would be the most knowledgeable...since it isn’t general reservations!!!!

PS. you can always call and ask, but I dont think it matters until you hit.... I am very comfortable with what she told me.
I spoke to them the other day and two separate reps said that it's only 3 times for the life of the pass, not per year. Also, if you assign someone first, then change that, then try to go back to the first, it will count as two separate changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.