Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:25 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
But with what planes?
New ones?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
New ones?
Or AS ones. That would be a quick way to rapidly increase capacity and gain a west coast presence to boot (assuming a *A entrance). Once in *A, having a west-coast presence would be key to feed into all the other alliance members' asia routes. Just take all the 73NGs and dump the 734s and Mad Dogs.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
New ones?
Do you think they are that keen to add domestic capacity? Wide bodies are hard to come by, as we have discussed ad nauseum. I guess I just don't see, *A or no *A, CO looking to beef up domestic service and become a feeder for LH and their associated minions.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Do you think they are that keen to add domestic capacity? Wide bodies are hard to come by, as we have discussed ad nauseum. I guess I just don't see, *A or no *A, CO looking to beef up domestic service and become a feeder for LH and their associated minions.
If they do join *A, and NW/DUAL are SkyTeam, a west-coast presence would become a necessity. I guess CO could De-Hub CLE and shift flights west to get into a bloodbath war with entrenched UA/AS (assuming there's anything other than ERJ's to shift from CLE). Just buying AS' established west-coast presence would be far easier.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: CO Plat (thanks to FT), UA 1P, AA
I am wondering what does all this merger mean with respect to OnePass miles...

Should I go now and spend them as soon as I can?

Should I hoard them more than ever for some SQ or LH F trips?

Should I just go about as usual without any change?

P.S.: Mods, there seem to be two redundant threads right now, this one and the one about the Delta/United Merger. Maybe some merging of our own should be considered?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:46 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
I think that sounds right -- I do not think CO would want to prioritize domestic growth over international. As for new (widebody) planes, I suspect CO would be able to find both the financing and the various delivery slots for expansion. They might not be for tomorrow but I suspect they'd be soon enough to facilitate CO's appetite for conservative growth.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
CO+AS gives a nice bump in the 737 numbers.

Does it add domestic capacity? yes, but in the part that CO really is lacking. AS would give CO a stronghold in the west that they haven't had since they were based in LAX.

I could imagine better fleet utilization, a more or less immediate jettison of the MD80s, and thus deferring the retirement of some of the older CO 733 until all the 738's AS ordered are on property.

Then, CO would have a more diverse domestic feed and the ability to concentrate west coast traffic to run high demand int'l long haul. Obviously they'll need more widebodies for that.

Depending on what goes down with the DL/UA deal.. CO could beef up LAX significantly. One could easily see a 772/W taking the primarily LAX based O/D TLV traffic with connections from SEA/SFO.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:48 pm

Why not merge AS + NW + CO into a holding company, keep the various brands where appropriate and start to slowly integrate the products together?

For example, if NW is known in Asia have the planes based there say Northwest - part of the blah group.

Likewise if AS is known in the SEA area why not have the planes there keep the AS scheme?

Ditto for IAH/EWR.

At the same time 'synergies' can be reached by standardizing the product (i.e. a single NG BC is chosen for this entity to replace WBC and BF) and a new domestic F product is chosen to go into the domestic planes.

CO & NW can exapnd upon their already profitable codeshare with AS helping to bolster up the Pac-NW [a]and[/b] this entity can continue to leverage (that is if the anti-trusters don't shoot it down) the code-sharing with KLM.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
CO+AS gives a nice bump in the 737 numbers.

Does it add domestic capacity? yes, but in the part that CO really is lacking. AS would give CO a stronghold in the west that they haven't had since they were based in LAX.

I could imagine better fleet utilization, a more or less immediate jettison of the MD80s, and thus deferring the retirement of some of the older CO 733 until all the 738's AS ordered are on property.

Then, CO would have a more diverse domestic feed and the ability to concentrate west coast traffic to run high demand int'l long haul. Obviously they'll need more widebodies for that.

Depending on what goes down with the DL/UA deal.. CO could beef up LAX significantly. One could easily see a 772/W taking the primarily LAX based O/D TLV traffic with connections from SEA/SFO.
All good points. I would expect the more esoteric portions of the AS network to disappear (odd point-to-points from secondary L.A. airports, PDX, but not the intra-Alaska - as it's a virtual monopoly). L.A. is definitely a huge prize, but faces quite a bit of competition (less, I guess, if you're getting massive *A feed there). I guess SEA could also be a hub, and would likely be robust enough to be significantly more built-out (and important to the overall CO bottom-line) than CLE.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Why not merge AS + NW + CO into a holding company, keep the various brands where appropriate and start to slowly integrate the products together?
Or don't integrate them. Do what AF/KL seems to be doing - keep one as the premier carrier and degrade the other into your in-house LCC.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
All good points. I would expect the more esoteric portions of the AS network to disappear (odd point-to-points from secondary L.A. airports, PDX, but not the intra-Alaska - as it's a virtual monopoly). L.A. is definitely a huge prize, but faces quite a bit of competition (less, I guess, if you're getting massive *A feed there). I guess SEA could also be a hub, and would likely be robust enough to be significantly more built-out (and important to the overall CO bottom-line) than CLE.
I think you're on the right path there but the only thing I add (enter captain obvious) is that if these odd P2P services can financially justify their existence leave them.

I also think there's merit in allowing the brands to continue to operate -- granted it may make sense to standardize the products within the brands (catering, seats, etc.) but why tinker and spend the $$$ on re-branding?

I would think that a slow, measured steps towards integration under a common holding company would allow for the so called 'synergies' and sidestep (at least for the time being) the more sticky issues regarding mergers.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
A holding CO merger would be the best way to go certainly for 2 large carriers.

Step 1: Merge duplicate functions (purchasing, websites, planning)
Step 2: Merge FFP
Steps 1&2 eliminate the cost and duplicate resource expenditures (the "synergy")

AS/QX work that way, they are technically separate carriers.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by entropy
A holding CO merger would be the best way to go certainly for 2 large carriers.
Great idea! Let's call the company Texas Air. We can name one airline "Eastern," which will be strongest in the eastern part of the U.S. and call the other half "Continental" which will be the international and western-focused carrier. And let's give it a common FF program...and bring in a guy named "Frank" to run the whole thing. It'll be great!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by senatorgirth
Great idea! Let's call the company Texas Air. We can name one airline "Eastern," which will be strongest in the eastern part of the U.S. and call the other half "Continental" which will be the international and western-focused carrier. And let's give it a common FF program...and bring in a guy named "Frank" to run the whole thing. It'll be great!
If UA and DL get together you might want to call it PanAmerican.

Seriously though, airlines mergers have many messy aspect (the integration of employee groups comes to mind.) That's why I thought to mention a common holding company. If this approach was taken the group could begin to realize the benefits of consolidation without the ills that have traditionally accompanied it.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
That's why I thought to mention a common holding company. If this approach was taken the group could begin to realize the benefits of consolidation without the ills that have traditionally accompanied it.
I think you're right, with the caveat that the efficiencies would not be as great as could be possibly realized in a fully successful merger. Still, I think that new technologies and the evolution of marketing techniques could make pulling off such a feat easier today than in the past. The airlines could share a common online presence, codesharing and partnering activities, and branding and marketing efforts that simply didn't exist 20 or 30 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.