Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by senatorgirth
I think you're right, with the caveat that the efficiencies would not be as great as could be possibly realized in a fully successful merger. Still, I think that new technologies and the evolution of marketing techniques could make pulling off such a feat easier today than in the past. The airlines could share a common online presence, codesharing and partnering activities, and branding and marketing efforts that simply didn't exist 20 or 30 years ago.
But when was the last time there was a fully successful merger. I think that the crew integration issues alone, not to mention fleet and route scheduling make it very hard to actually realize the savings that many of the C-men envision when these mergers are being negotiated.

If the holding company sat around and actually didn't do anything other than add code-sharing and slowly moved towards a common product they'd have a chance, but they still need to be careful to not upset too many elites on any one carrier while they standardize the offering. If you too away the sundae in CO F, for instance, you'd have a lot of upset elites (who are arguably high-rev) and their frustration might equal departure, so the money you save might end up hurting you.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I love it that this thread, just like the "Head On" commercial, keeps coming back.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Nov 14, 2007 at 11:24 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by sbm12
But when was the last time there was a fully successful merger.
CO's merging of People Express and Texas International? Admittedly, these were buy-outs more than full merger. And, needless to day, labor/management relations were (shall we say?) a bit contentious...
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:37 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Not sure what thread to put this in but it looks like Pardus and Bethune are going to the stockholders directly.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/071116/delta...rdus.html?.v=2
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Bethune, eh? This only reinforces my conspiracy theory that it's all a machiavellian ploy to get CO into bed with UA by scaring the pants off of them (threatening DUAL).
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
I disagree. CO would be forced to find a partner--any partner--after a DL/UA hookup, and unless it was an AA hookup (that I have NEVER seen mentioned anywhere), they would *still* be smaller than DUAL.
AA+CO . That's an interesting proposition. Has anyone any insight?

This was mentioned earlier

Originally Posted by STT757
If there were to be industry wide consolidation then CO defiently wants to merge with UAL to get access to Narita, Heathrow, Ohare, San Francisoc, LAX, IAD and all those China route authorities.
NRT, LHR, LAX, China - they'd get a lot of that with AA.

There is the slight problem of Dallas and Houston.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pixpixpix
There is the slight problem of Dallas and Houston.
It would be a HUGE problem.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
AA/CO wouldn't happen. makes no sense whatsoever. AA brings some LHR slots, strong latin america, DFW, ORD and MIA.

They have "fleet commonality": 738, 757 (diff engines) 767 (-300) and 777 (diff engines). the MD80s are old...
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
It would be a HUGE problem.
Actually, I don't think DFW/IAH would be a huge problem. Sure, they're close together, but it's not like comparing ORD/CLE, where CLE would almost definitely lose hub status. DFW and IAH are both huge cities with roaring economies, which can both support fortress hubs (though IAH is more of a fortress than DFW, due to less LCC competition). I doubt any merged entity would axe one city in favor of the other. Both could be operated, and profitably, at that. Having two major hubs close together could also be convenient during irrops affecting only one such city, or when equipment swaps from one of the hubs become a necessity (due to MX). UA operates a fairly sizeable operation out of LAX, and a hub out of SFO...I have never heard anyone clamoring that they need to shut one down because they are too close to each other.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
I like the idea of AA/CO myself, we'd get to do the Texas 2 step for extra segments/ MR's

AA certainly has the long haul birds CO needs, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the MadDog's all retired immediately on a merger. Or better yet, you could get rid of alot of RJ service to many smaller cities by combining service and lowering frequencies(of the combined companies) a bit!
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:45 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
CO + AA = Horrible Idea

I'm hard pressed to see the merit in this one.

AA does not have a large Asian presence (beyond NRT and PVG) in addition to a potential toxic mix of labor/management relations. Ditto for the corporate tone from Aprey & Kellner.

The route structure, while by no means the sole deciding factor for a merger but an important one nonetheless, overlap horribly and no new synergies (or whatever the BS word is) would be realized.

LHR?
CO can buy slots.

Latin America?
CO already has substantial service.

More planes?
They're cheaper ways to acquire planes than merging...such as buying more from the manufactures.

Asia?
More NRT slots & PVG...both of which CO already (or will soon be) serves.

Domestic Overlap?
Horrible.

FF reasons to suggest a merger?
Not a major consideration.

Last edited by J.Edward; Nov 19, 2007 at 1:06 pm
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by J.Edward
If UA and DL get together you might want to call it PanAmerican.

Seriously though, airlines mergers have many messy aspect (the integration of employee groups comes to mind.) That's why I thought to mention a common holding company. If this approach was taken the group could begin to realize the benefits of consolidation without the ills that have traditionally accompanied it.
The problem with the holding company concept is the union scope clause provisions -- you'd need the unions to agree to waivers to allow the "other airline" to continue operating its aircraft with its staff, or else watch the industrial action fireworks begin.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bspencerco
I like the idea of AA/CO myself, we'd get to do the Texas 2 step for extra segments/ MR's

AA certainly has the long haul birds CO needs, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the MadDog's all retired immediately on a merger. Or better yet, you could get rid of alot of RJ service to many smaller cities by combining service and lowering frequencies(of the combined companies) a bit!
I am actually a person who likes the MadDogs. Offering 2-3 seating is great for couples traveling together who do not want a middle seat.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I'm hard pressed to see the merit in this one...
But, I look at it this way:

LHR: I think CO has bought about as many slots as will be readily available at anything approaching a reasonable price.

Latin America: Why not just expand service? If there is overlap, then perhaps the markets can support the additional service. Merging allows them to perhaps dominate the market.

More Planes: It may not be cheaper, but it is faster to merge, so if their are enough other ways to add value, then the cost of those planes doesn't seem so high.

Asia: As with LA, since everyone is falling all over themselves to get in there, I don't see how overlap is that big of a deal. Don't forget that AA brings in a West Coast market that I can't imagine CO even scratches.

Domestic Overlap: Horrible? I don't get this. Everything I read suggests that most of these mergers would be with an eye toward reducing domestic capacity. Overlap just makes it that much easier to choose which routes to cut. If a deal is shot down, it won't be because their is too much domestic overlap.

I mean, all of these arguments against the merger hold for pretty much any potential tie-up, to a greater or lesser extent. But, if the dominos start to fall, everyone will have to choose their partners, and it could end up being CO/AA (or NW or UA or US) regardless of how much "sense" it makes.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
to an AA/CO merger. I see NOTHING positive about that combination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.