Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Objection

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
I wouldn't be opposed to a DL/CO merger.
I think the US government would think otherwise.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:27 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think the US government would think otherwise.
If the DO's going to drag their feet on a DL+NW merger do you think a DL+UA merger will be met with any less resistance?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:00 pm
IADSIN

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Found this on that "other" co employee site. Here is the link.
United Airlines is considering a new round of talks to merge with Continental Airlines...
What might be interesting, and hasn't been discussed explicitly so far, is a deal whereby CO buys *the assets of* UA (including branding, slots/gates, and IPR) -- but does not buy UA itself. That lets it sidestep UA obligations, like union contracts and awkward merger issues like union seniority list integration.

This kind of deal could make union integration easier (CO would need to hire some new employees, but would not be obliged to hire the ex-UA staff) and would also make the management handoff easier (CO management would be in charge without any UA management baggage).

That style of acquisition has been done in the technology sector and financial sectors for years. Maybe now is the time to do it in the air travel sector.

Btw, I think a lot of UA FF folks accustomed to upgrading on international flights are going to be surprised how much harder it will be to upgrade to the "new" C/F cabins once those cabins are widely deployed in operational aircraft. The number of seats in each cabin generally drops a bit -- and the improved product is likely to attract more paying C/F customers. This hasn't hit home yet in the UA FF community, but it likely will within the next 12-18 months. At that point, I don't know that upgrades on UA would be much better than at present on CO.

Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by IADSIN
What might be interesting, and hasn't been discussed explicitly so far, is a deal whereby CO buys *the assets of* UA (including branding, slots/gates, and IPR) -- but does not buy UA itself. That lets it sidestep UA obligations, like union contracts and awkward merger issues like union seniority list integration.

This kind of deal could make union integration easier (CO would need to hire some new employees, but would not be obliged to hire the ex-UA staff) and would also make the management handoff easier (CO management would be in charge without any UA management baggage).

That style of acquisition has been done in the technology sector and financial sectors for years. Maybe now is the time to do it in the air travel sector.

Sorry but the Unions can kill this in a heartbeat. How many crew does CO have that are able to fly 747-400's? Or A319's & A320's? The Union would have a gun to CO's head if they tried this, because even if CO has people who can operate 737's, 757's and 777's they certainly don't have enough of them spare to take over all the UA operations.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Financial Times (via MSNBC) posted a story today that quotes UA folks as saying they may reopen talks with CO if DL choses not to merge with UA.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22734916/%23storyContinued

United Airlines is considering a new round of talks to merge with Continental Airlines if its negotiations with another rival, Delta Air Lines, end without an agreement, people familiar with the company's plans said.

Glenn Tilton, United chief executive, an outspoken proponent of industrywide consolidation, signalled on Friday that the Chicago-based airlines could still strike a deal even if Delta merges with Northwest Airlines. Delta opened negotiations with both United and Northwest earlier this month, the people said...
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Financial Times (via MSNBC) posted a story today that quotes UA folks as saying they may reopen talks with CO if DL choses not to merge with UA.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22734916/%23storyContinued

United Airlines is considering a new round of talks to merge with Continental Airlines if its negotiations with another rival, Delta Air Lines, end without an agreement, people familiar with the company's plans said.

Glenn Tilton, United chief executive, an outspoken proponent of industrywide consolidation, signalled on Friday that the Chicago-based airlines could still strike a deal even if Delta merges with Northwest Airlines. Delta opened negotiations with both United and Northwest earlier this month, the people said...
That was in last weekend's Weekend FT.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Was this dance choraeographed?

Am I the only one who remembers DL and NW filing Chapter 11 in the same courthouse on the same day?

While I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, I can't help but suspect the following:

DL and NW have a mutual desire to merge: NW wants this because doesn't see a bright future for itself; NW wants DL as a partner to mirror the AF-KL arrangement. DL wants NW because they get NRT, DTW, MSP, and little resistance to retaining a DL HQ in ATL. Fleet integration will be a challenge, but nothing they can't handle.

DL's board is going through the motions of merger talks with UA in order to get the most favorable terms from NW, or at least to be perceived as doing so. DL prefers NW for its route network - no DEN/SLC problem, for example. CVG and/or MEM will be easier to let go.

UA, like NW, sees itself as a problem-riddled airline with some valuable assets (Asia and LHR slots, SFO and LAX) but a bleak future as a whole airline (competition at DEN, congestion and competition at ORD, little presence in NYC, and general profitability issues). UA would prefer a CO merger/buyout, but would consider DL to be an acceptable partner, too (with hubs at NYC and a large southern market). UA knows they probably won't get DL.

When DL and NW announce their merger, CO and UA will each know that the other is the only viable remaining partner. This works great for UA, because they get to add CO's modern fleet, EWR hub and Europe routes, IAH hub and LatAm (not to mention southern USA) routes, and so forth. CO benefits because it can join STAR (it's an oddball in SkyTeam, methinks). STAR benefits most especially by gaining the NYC presence. SkyTeam doesn't hurt that much, because it still has DL/NW covering most of the overseas markets CO serves.

All this works out too well (if indeed this scenario is close to what actually plays out), in my opinion not to have been planned by someone.

What think y'all?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:08 pm

My feeling is that DL/NW would be a less painful transition than CO/UA would be. Cutting UA apart piecemeal may be the easiest way of accomplishing it. The combined carrier could still carry the United name but with Continental's management, fleet structure. Labor will be a huge problem. I just can't see fitting UA's employees into the CO workforce.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I wish UA and CO would just hurry up and get into bed with each other (with me in it)!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
As a CO FFer in every sense of the term, and having witnessed the disruptions that a merger and the post-merger integration bring to an airline, I do not believe that I come out objectively ahead under any merger scenario unless NWA is the partner.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:58 pm
IADSIN

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
UA, like NW, sees itself as a problem-riddled airline with some valuable assets (Asia and LHR slots, SFO and LAX) but a bleak future as a whole airline (competition at DEN, congestion and competition at ORD, little presence in NYC, and general profitability issues). UA would prefer a CO merger/buyout, but would consider DL to be an acceptable partner, too (with hubs at NYC and a large southern market). UA knows they probably won't get DL.

When DL and NW announce their merger, CO and UA will each know that the other is the only viable remaining partner. This works great for UA, because they get to add CO's modern fleet, EWR hub and Europe routes, IAH hub and LatAm (not to mention southern USA) routes, and so forth. CO benefits because it can join STAR (it's an oddball in SkyTeam, methinks). STAR benefits most especially by gaining the NYC presence. SkyTeam doesn't hurt that much, because it still has DL/NW covering most of the overseas markets CO serves.
NOTE WELL: I don't ever believe in conspiracy theories.

I do agree that either (DL+NW) or (NW+CO) are easier mergers to pull off than anyone+UA. I also agree the route-map integration is easiest for (DL+NW).

That said, UA's current senior management have said that they would be willing to do a deal where they left after the merger. So regardless of how a CO+UA deal were marketed/positioned/advertised, one imagines the end reality would be that CO's current senior management would end up running the merged airline.

If that analysis is right, and the deal actually happens, the resulting airline might end up looking A LOT more like current CO than current UA by ~3 years after the merger date, except possibly (I hope) being in *A rather than SkyTeam.

For example, UA's upgraded front cabins are much more similar than their current front cabins. In the new configuration, both front cabins have 180 degree lie flat seats and similar seat features. UA is not known for stellar in-flight service in any cabin. At that point, why not use the "BusinessFirst" model and have only 2 classes of service ? Even industry-leader SQ has a fair number of international 2-class aircraft (e.g. 772 between SIN and KIX).

I do think that CO would benefit on domestic routes to have either some kind of E+ wider-pitch seating on the long-haul RJs or have 2-class long-haul RJs. For the short-haul runs, pure single class is fine, but IAH to either coast in a single-class narrow-pitch RJ is too painful at present.

All that said, union seniority list integration is impossible to do in a way that everyone is happy. There are thousands of other details that need to be sorted out and it seems really unlikely any airline deal (for any pair of airlines) will be smooth for passengers/staff during the transition.

UA's aircraft fleet is relatively old and continues to age. The only "young" aircraft belong to the contractors operating the United Express fleet.

I like the idea of UA+CO from a route-map perspective, and I personally never fly in First (so a 2-class plane is fine with me), but I still think that any mergers of any airlines will be incredibly painful all around. So I expect that I personally will lose in any merger scenario.

Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
As a CO FFer in every sense of the term, and having witnessed the disruptions that a merger and the post-merger integration bring to an airline, I do not believe that I come out objectively ahead under any merger scenario unless NWA is the partner.
I don't think you come out ahead either. But, I also think that none of the airline heads give a toss about whether you come out ahead. I am just holding tight for now, because that is about the best any of us can hope for.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Labor will be a huge problem. I just can't see fitting UA's employees into the CO workforce.
CO could just get rid of as many of the bad apple UA employees as possible, then retrain the remainder.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Interesting piece in the Houston Chronicle about a potential CO/UA hookup:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/5484546.html

DL+NW would mean SkyTeam for them. Such a merger would practically force a UA+CO combination which would almost certainly be in Star. This might, therefore, require the resulting FF program to be closer to MileagePlus than OnePass. That, in turn, could possibly mean easier upgrades into J/C. Wonder if CO's PC deal with AMEX Plats. would go out the window?

The Chronicle article above references an agreement that UA has with the City of Chicago which ties the airline to the Windy City for a number of years, or else it must pay a multi-million dollar settlement. This would also seem to point to potentially greater influence of UA in a merger.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CO 1E
CO could just get rid of as many of the bad apple UA employees as possible, then retrain the remainder.
After my friend's experience with UA' "employees" last night at SFO, I am highly doubtful any of them could be re-trained to provide service according to CO standards.

I still maintain CO should take the widebodies, 757s (refurbish interiors, replace engines and add winglets), premium routes, add a hub in either DEN or ORD and make the other a major 'focus city', turn SFO and LAX into a west coast Global Gateways (emphasizing Asia), expand PS to keep the NYC-centric premium traffic (transcon US and TATL) and dump everything else. I think they would need to dump the United Suites, but need to go back to the drawing board on the next-gen BF to make sure it stands out as the number one premium hybrid product in the world. Also, we would need to dump E+ domestically, but look at a true premium econ product for international flights.

The resulting airline will be called Continental with existing CO branding and the loyalty program would be Onepass keeping Global Services as an unpublished top tier (comped limo to/from airport for paid int'l J, enhanced reward availability, SWUs, etc.).

The United name and brand, often synonymous with uncomfortable cabins, surly staff, a cheap product and other negative connotations, would be gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.