Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:56 pm
IADSIN

Question

Originally Posted by Don'tGoThere
PC Police at work.

Isn't there a way to block certain posters from your view? Or is that just on Yahoo! Message Boards?
Not PC at all, and definitely not "Police".
A simple *request* for civility in public conversation.
(And no, this isn't Yahoo message boards.)

Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:01 pm
IADSIN

Originally Posted by ssullivan
BusinessFirst is a term that CO invented. It's not a generic term like "Business Class" -- it's an actual brand name, just like "Raffles Class" was for SQ.
A highly misleading, and deliberately so, brand name -- sure.
An invented brand that was NOT so blatently misleading would be preferable.

Using the current example, "Raffles Class" makes no misleading implication about "similar to First" or "almost First" or "as good as First" in the way that CO's current brand does.

(Ironically, SQ's business class IS better than several major airlines' first class. -smile-)

Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by IADSIN

Am I getting closer ?
BTW, you can use multi-quote instead of 5 consecutive posts.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A highly misleading, and deliberately so, brand name -- sure.
An invented brand that was NOT so blatently misleading would be preferable.
When BusinessFirst was introduced, back in the mid-nineties, it was, with the business class seat and the first class service, somewhere between Business and First. The blurring of the lines was an innovation on COs part (not just a marketing ploy), which gave it a foot-hold to compete with the then-uibiquitous (or at least more ubiquitous than today) 3-class product other domestic airlines were offering. In fact, IIRC, DL followed suit with their "BusinessElite" product. In recent years, as someone else pointed out here, the BF product has migrated to an upgraded seat, and downgraded service, and with the global marketplace for premium product having changed radically as well, the whole landscape is very different now than it was back then. This is why I think many people feel that the BF product needs a wholesale makeover. A hook-up with UA would afford CO greater flexibility to explore that.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pbarnette
My guess is that we will see at least a fair number of the following in a UA-CO tie-up:

1) Move to CO-style E-. No more E+. 31" pitch.
2) Switch to *A. Hello better partners, goodbye bonus miles. Increase in the number of partial credit fares on partners, a la LH. Availability of awards and upgrades will degrade to CO levels.
3) Switch to stickers for Silvers and Golds. Plats might get unlimited upgrades, though. Chances of SWUs at 50%, but will suffer from same restricted usage as current CO upgrades.
4) Halt to the UA cabin upgrades, pending delivery of the first 787 in 2010, or whenever it comes. F will be gone, though this may mean they temporarily become an elite perk, like the US Sleeper seats.
5) Plat moves to 100k threshhold.
6) CLE ceases to exist as a hub. IAD might shift to focus city. DEN may suffer the same fate.
7) PS service? Can't decide on this one.
So negative!! But I think you're onto something. Over on the UA board, where the term "nonepass" has a lot of currency, the majority of opinion pretty much seems to expect the same kinds of "enhancements." It also seems like the vast majority there are highly respectful of the management of LK and Co. and would welcome it as a huge improvement over the crowd in Chicago, who they seem to want to run out of town on a rail.

There's lots of reasons for all of us to hope for a continuation of the current status-quo.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe I'm starting to understand where you are coming from (maybe not ?).

From the above, it sounds like in your head there is an assumption that CO would want to junk much of UA's routes, gates, aircraft, staff, and so forth. UA is losing money, so clearly there are some unprofitable routes that ought to be re-examined. Without looking at the secret internal numbers, it isn't clear how one figures out which routes those are. The international destinations mostly seem safe, but the routes to get there likely would alter somewhat.

Or maybe the assumption is that CO will go farther and just "cherry pick" the handful of routes/aircraft that are interesting ? and throw away the rest (or spin it out in some complicated way as a separate entity).

Am I getting closer ?

Oh, and where do you think UA has how much dead weight ?

(This has been pretty interesting so far.)
More than an assumption - it's logical to assume CO would only take UA to cherry pick the aircraft, routes and very limited staff it needs to grow and remain competitive. UA is laden with dead weight - a mismatched fleet, scores of employees who add zero value and hurt the bottom line, and many routes which overlap existing CO flights. UA has some good hubs and focus cities which would certainly help CO grow, but there is no reason to take on excess capacity for the sake of just having it - there needs to be a strategic reason behind these decisions.

It's never been CO's strategy to be the biggest - but offer a highly competitive product at a fair price, to be the 'Target' of the skies (as opposed to the Bloomingdales or Dollar General).
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:50 pm

Not PC at all, and definitely not "Police".
A simple *request* for civility in public conversation.
(And no, this isn't Yahoo message boards.)
Dear Ms/Mr. IADSIN,

Please move your mouse to the respective person whose lack of "civility" bothers you and select to view their "Public Profile"; across the top is a choice to "Ignore" the offending poster. Perhaps this will permit you the type of public discourse you desire from the posters on this forum.

I would like to thank you for pointing out that this isn't "Yahoo!", but that wasn't the point; I was actually drawing an analogy to the Yahoo! feature (and we now know that you can "Ignore" a poster).

Good Day, Sir/Madam
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Oh, I agree with that. But I thought this was the pipe dream thread, where we all talked about what we would like to see?

As I think I said elsewhere in this thread, I do not think any merger will be made for our benefit. My guess is that we will see at least a fair number of the following in a UA-CO tie-up:

1) Move to CO-style E-. No more E+. 31" pitch.
2) Switch to *A. Hello better partners, goodbye bonus miles. Increase in the number of partial credit fares on partners, a la LH. Availability of awards and upgrades will degrade to CO levels.
3) Switch to stickers for Silvers and Golds. Plats might get unlimited upgrades, though. Chances of SWUs at 50%, but will suffer from same restricted usage as current CO upgrades.
4) Halt to the UA cabin upgrades, pending delivery of the first 787 in 2010, or whenever it comes. F will be gone, though this may mean they temporarily become an elite perk, like the US Sleeper seats.
5) Plat moves to 100k threshhold.
6) CLE ceases to exist as a hub. IAD might shift to focus city. DEN may suffer the same fate.
7) PS service? Can't decide on this one.
In my uninformed opinion...

1.) As much as I love E+, CO management would probably kill it to get in one more row of Y.
2.) * all the way
3.)If plats would get unlimited upgrades, the stickers for golds and silvers could be used a pretty decorative ornaments or something as they'd probably be pretty useless.
4.) Plat at 100K .... likely
6.) IAD might help relieve a lot of the pressure now on ewr. I think it stays as a hub. LK once said at a DO that CO pulling out of Den was a big mistake. Den stays.
7.) PS could be on life support under a CO management.

I know that this is the CO board...but there are a lot of good people at UA. The bad apples there do exist and are spoken of a lot...because everyone tells 10 people of a rotten customer experience. Maybe I'm the only one who has run into bad apples at CO? I can imagine that on the UA board that they'd want to sack all of EWR if there is a merger...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
In my uninformed opinion...

...6.) IAD might help relieve a lot of the pressure now on ewr. I think it stays as a hub. LK once said at a DO that CO pulling out of Den was a big mistake. Den stays...

.... Maybe I'm the only one who has run into bad apples at CO? I can imagine that on the UA board that they'd want to sack all of EWR if there is a merger...
Yes, LK has also said that to various employees (DEN will stay and probably grow). While you may think EWR is ripe with bad apples; the majority of those working on the planes are from all parts of the world and many have transferred from the over friendly orchards of IAH.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
LK once said at a DO that CO pulling out of Den was a big mistake. Den stays.
Sure. But, I assume LK was speaking with regards to CO, not a combined CO-UA, correct? Would new hubs/focus cities in SFO and LAX, coupled with ORD and IAH mean that DEN is less important to CO-UA than it might have been to CO? What may have been good for CO is not necessarily going to work for CO-UA.

Originally Posted by skipmnyc
So negative!!
I've been accused of that before.

But, let's be honest, CO does not have the best track record with actually delivering genuine improvements to either the hard product or to OnePass. And no, blue carpets aren't a genuine improvement. And it isn't just CO, aside from the J class arms race, few carriers have delivered much in the way of truly positive enhancements in recent years.

Last edited by pbarnette; Jan 29, 2008 at 1:34 am
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Did you guys see this thread?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Interesting.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Awesome. I guess the hopes that the DoJ/DoT of the Bush administration would rubber stamp any merger will be offset by Congress's hearings.

The big problem is that any merger means a lot of lost jobs and that service to passengers is going to go down. Considering that US carriers are already pretty bad in terms of service, I'm glad that someone is going to make them do something about it (or at least pretend).
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by bocastephen
After my friend's experience with UA' "employees" last night at SFO, I am highly doubtful any of them could be re-trained to provide service according to CO standards....
EWR?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
7.) PS could be on life support under a CO management.
That would be terrible for me if they killed ps. I left CO (for the most part) when United started ps. I guess I'd have to go over to AA to get decent seats for flights between NY and LA. As would all the Hollywood-types whose contracts require first class travel on 3-class planes. That's a lot of business!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.