Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Pre/Post Merger Speculation Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I think that there are some airline brands that have great recognition-yet almost no shareholder value. At the top of this list is PanAm, although I think it could quite legitimately also include TWA and SwissAir. If I were to start a LCC on the west coast, I think that using the PSA branding would still be resonant at some level....but perhaps I just miss seeing smiles on airplanes?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
but perhaps I just miss seeing smiles on airplanes?
Stylized, but it always looks like a smile to me

http://www.tuifly.com/de/index.html
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Worldwidedreamer, This and this should bring back some memories for you...

Last edited by divrdrew; Jun 14, 2007 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't really like an intra-skyteam tie-up. DL is repetitive, NW is too disparate fleet wise.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:30 pm

Like I said, it's purely selfish reasons that I want to see that kind of tie up. I shudder to think of CO pairing with US or UA...simply too much of a headache IMHO.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:58 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Nothing that new but coolbeans202 posted this thread in the UA forum sighting an article from thestreet: "United Has Merger Delusions" that proved an interesting (and accurate IMHO) take on their position. Take away point for CO: UA still wants to merge with a carrier possessing a "southern" presence but questions the synergies gained from a DL/CO merger; worth a read if such things interest you.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
This forum needs a penalty box, invoked whenever:

a. CO/UA merger talk is bandied about in the absence of any talk about truly serious matters (such as the synergies of a ConUniHound merger)
b. Speculation arises regarding what the new BF will be like whenever the 787s come online (one of these threads is long overdue, IMO)
c. Someone has urgent news of lousy staff at EWR

Sorry, J.Edward, couldn't resist
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:10 pm

Recent press hints at the potential tie-up of UA/US. It was shot down by the DOJ before, but now some feel the government will allow that one to go through. Apparently CO/DL won't even talk to UA.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Oh, CO/UA is so "last week". Why don't we talk about whether CO will bid for NW's Pacific asset after it liquidates?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:15 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
This forum needs a penalty box...
<hangs head in shame>

Also applicable for the penalty box:
Oh well, the point was that CO (and DL) continue to resist subcoming to United's embrace. Keep up the good work CO.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Oh, CO/UA is so "last week". Why don't we talk about whether CO will bid for NW's Pacific asset after it liquidates?
And here I thought CO/AS was the new hot topic
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
This forum needs a penalty box, invoked whenever:

a. CO/UA merger talk is bandied about in the absence of any talk about truly serious matters (such as the synergies of a ConUniHound merger)
b. Speculation arises regarding what the new BF will be like whenever the 787s come online (one of these threads is long overdue, IMO)
c. Someone has urgent news of lousy staff at EWR

Sorry, J.Edward, couldn't resist
Maybe Continental needs to sell off Peoples Express. If they get rid of all those Peoples Express people they got over twenty years ago, maybe, just maybe, EWR would be a better place.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:46 pm

We heard at the Do that Continental plans to say independent but continues to review all business prospects. UA's CEO briefed investors today about United's 5 year plan including 4 billion in capital investment, selling the Mileage Plus program and their maintenance division and to contemplate consolidation of the industry.

"In addition to strengthening the performance of the airline, our plan also includes unlocking the value of business units such as United Services and Mileage Plus, and contemplates the eventual consolidation of the industry and United's role in that process," Tilton said in the memo.

Link here.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I know I am probably going to get yelled at for sharing these views, but I would like to see CO buy out Alaska Airlines as well as Hawaiian Airlines.

Last edited by OPFlyer; Oct 6, 2007 at 9:08 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
deleted

Last edited by OPFlyer; Oct 5, 2007 at 8:51 pm Reason: duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.