Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:27 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Dear Starwood-

Stop making excuses for this property.

You know how many rooms checked in on any given day. You also know how many checked out.

This means you know EXACTLY what their order for Bliss supplies should look like.

Is it low? If so, FIX IT and have the property apologize (we all know the latter won't happen).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Just wanted to add my comments as this property seems to be getting quite a bit of negative comments recently on FT! I have recently stayed a few times, the first was because the location was perfect for what I needed and LeMeridien was not available but was not sure if I should stay after some average stays not long after it first opened!

Really enjoyed the stay and found the staff from front desk, to the bar all the be excellent, really enjoyed it found them to be very responsive, gave upgrades even when SNA's had failed and when an SNA did work got upgraded further!

Never had issues with the bliss products myself and rooms have been cleaned to a high level and service with the W Lounge has been great! I was certainly not a fan of W London while enjoying other W's worldwide and also not someone who changes their mind easily but from my experience the management do seem to be looking to up their game and so far this is one Plat who has seen the change and very much likes what he has seen!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:44 pm

Curious if there are any more recent anecdotes as my fiance and I keep waffling between the W and the LM. I had more or less ruled out the W after some of the negative comments / reviews here - but we are "W" fans so we keep contemplating changing our reservation.

My biggest concern however is noise, which is the one problem we frequently encounter at W hotels. My fiancé doesn't sleep well and with time changes can make for a rough trip sometimes.

Do you think this hotel would be able and willing to accommodate a gold guest (for what little it is worth) on their honeymoon into a room on a higher floor, so as to alleviate some of the noise issues at this hotel from the club on the ground floor?

Further, to those of you that have stayed here, whether on the higher floors or otherwise, how bad is the noise at this property? If you are able to escape the noise from the club, is the hotel so rowdy that you are unlikely to escape the noise from neighboring rooms?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
For the main reason you state, noise. I would avoid this property. I tried 3 rooms, one on a high floor, I used a Diamond status upgrade and then declined it because the room was even noisier. Ended up with handicapped designed room in the back on a low floor, that was less noisy, yet not quite. I finally solved the problem the next morning by checking out.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, National Exec

I stayed their last week, definitely noisy.
I'm Gold as well and have stayed there before and still didn't feel that well treated.

The staff is very responsive but I would say they don't generally go out of their way during busy season
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by traveler18
For the main reason you state, noise. I would avoid this property. I tried 3 rooms, one on a high floor, I used a Diamond status upgrade and then declined it because the room was even noisier. Ended up with handicapped designed room in the back on a low floor, that was less noisy, yet not quite. I finally solved the problem the next morning by checking out.
Diamond Status???
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:45 pm

Ok, thanks.

I know W's can be noisy - and I don't necessarily fault them for that as the "club" scene is part of their branding - but if there is no way to avoid it by being on a higher floor or away from the club then I think we'll have to stick with the LM. Maybe we'll stop there for a drink at some point.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
Most of the noise I've noticed has been street noise and from Leicester Square. Ear plugs solve it, but it's hardly desirable. I've slept better at the LM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Yeah, i dunno, I think i'm officially done with this place. Was there for one night last week, on points, in a fantastic room, which was the first time we stayed in a non-suite room (have had cool corner and wow suites in the past). The noise aside, I just don't think the regular rooms are terribly well laid out - in fact, i think they are kind of ridiculous - and i don't think they are worth the cost, in pounds or points. the shower door opening out right into the bedroom, the silly desk/sink in the middle of room/entryway, the cramped spacing between almost every piece of furniture....it's just not a good setup for a couple.

But yeah, there aren't a ton of great alternatives in the area at that price point.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
I'm booked here for 5 nights in October with the other half. Anyone been super recently to this property? I'm SPG Gold if that helps. I'm a big fan of W hotels and really want to try this one. I usually stay at Aloft in London but it's booked up this go around. Curious on thoughts.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:12 pm

stayed here just this week

Hi,
i'm a platinum *wood guest and was here last week. My two cents:
1. no recognition for platinum members - free breakfast is cold buffet which gets tiresome for extended stays ( I was there over a week). Checked in during wimbledon and was told that due to this, hotel was sold out so no chance of a platinum upgrade. There were suites available online for check in so not sure how those upgrades work.
2. Noisy - yes it's noisy. Was on 5th floor away facing away wardour street - thursday friday and saturday nights were noisy
3. staff are the best thing about this hotel - all of them from doormen to front desk, restaurant are all pleasant and helpful
4. great gym if you want a work out.
5. good location right in the heart of everything.
6. agree with all comments re room layout - think the design is form over function. Water gets from shower into the living area, sink area is in middle of room and shares a counter with the work/ desk area.
7. Cleaning staff did not do a great job in our room and for whatever reason, don't replenish your product. I don't want to stash a bunch of bliss product and take it home ( i don't particularly like that line) but I do need soap to shower daily! Did not replenish my kleenex either.

All in all, would I stay here again?
Probably....as I like the location, the gym and the staff.
Bit pricey though for what I think you get .....but then its London!

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Never Again

What a strange hotel. We were in for two nights.

Arrival no clear sign where to go, had to find staff to ask, maybe a sign saying check in 1st floor would help.
Same entrance for Fri/Sat night club, very off putting with lots of security and bouncers, not very welcoming.
The staff are all nice enough, but its just not a great look.

Check in was slow and painful, lots of mistakes including checking in someone else while we were in room. Had to ask several times to get mini bar and movies turned on, we left credit card for extras but they seemed unable to get system to work.
Room nice enough, but why no tea or coffee facilities. Had been told we were upgraded to Spectacular room, which should come with open pass for movies yet it was charging us.

Noise -
This is the downfall. Yes it is trendy and modern, but no hotel staff not all your guests do come to go the the club, some come for a nice quiet weekend. Even on high floor you hear the club till 0300. Noise from street is so so, the bass is more annoying, second night, Sunday was better. Monday am the building site starts up.

Good points - Gym, excellent as were the staff, breakfast, again great and products of high quality.

Given price, I shall not return. Was nice to try for a change and some will like it, just not for me. The noise is main issue.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
What a difference a stay makes

I reported back on my early experiences after my visit on opening day a couple of years ago. Suffice to say my experience was far from positive then and I hated the room design.

Fast forward some time and I decide as the property is only a few minutes walk from work I should try it again. I made a redemption for 5 nights and deployed a SNA for those 5 nights and linked to a redemption made for me by someone else for 2 nights so 1 week in total.

Upon arrival I was upgraded 2 categories from my originally assigned corner suite to a marvellous suite (effectively a corner suite with a freestanding bath). Service throughout was exemplary, Mrs LoM joined me for the weekend and we had a fun afternoon tea and Sunday Brunch. I stayed in the same suite for the second part of the stay which made life easy. The suite was quiet and pleasantly laid out (albeit that it is somewhat odd entering through the bathroom). The Platinum breakfast in Spice Market was good and the gym is close to perfect.

So I recant my previous opinion that the W London is crap, I still wouldn't want to stay in a standard room again but it was my best experience in a London Starwood hotel for a very long time.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Stayed here last weekend for 5 nights in a spectacular room. I'll be honest I didn't know what to expect after reading on here but I will say it was a great stay. Service was excellent and no issue at all with the room. The night club noise does get annoying after the 3rd night but I learned to live with it. I would stay here again if I was looking for a party scene. I think next trip will be Le Meridian as it is a little more toned down. Overall though I was impressed with this property.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Can honestly say that in my opinion it is the worst W I have found to date. Rooms are very small and although central for tourists there are far nicer locations and likewise hotels for similar budgets and if it has to be SPG the LM is the better choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.