Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Just to say the lounge / bar refurbishment is complete. Overall it looks like they have done a good job and seems to have a mini restaurant as you walk in where the library area used to be located.

Menu's are fully updated and definataly ​​has a W feel to the whole place.

Have only seen it in the daytime so far where there was a nice relaxed chilled vibe!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
I'm spending a month in London on a business trip and considered a month at the W as a Plat member - based on the poor/lukewarm reviews I now have to reconsider. A big point in favor is that my client's office is walking distance near Leicester Square, however these are some of the worst W reviews I've ever read.

Is management simply disinterested due to tourist droves? What a shame for the brand. I've had excellent experiences in other Ws.

That said, would LM or Grand Sheraton be a better pick despite the distance?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tingadingling
The LMP is only about a 6-7 minute walk to Leicester Square (especially if you shortcut through the Piccadilly Circus tube station to avoid the crowds and crosswalks in Piccadilly Circus itself), so you're not giving up much there. And IMO, it's a little more friendly to the needs of a business traveler. The Sheraton PL, OTOH, is another 15 minutes of walking down Piccadilly past the LMP. So while it's now the nicest of the three, it's a pretty long walk to LS.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eeebee
The LMP is only about a 6-7 minute walk to Leicester Square (especially if you shortcut through the Piccadilly Circus tube station to avoid the crowds and crosswalks in Piccadilly Circus itself), so you're not giving up much there. And IMO, it's a little more friendly to the needs of a business traveler. The Sheraton PL, OTOH, is another 15 minutes of walking down Piccadilly past the LMP. So while it's now the nicest of the three, it's a pretty long walk to LS.
it is just a couple of stops on the Picaddilly line from Green Park.

i used to work at Shaftesbury Avenue and would shake up stays between the GS Park Lane, Psrk Tower, IC and various Hilton and IHG properties. Assuming that you are coming and going it makes sense to shake up your stays week by week I think.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Jan 9, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:46 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by tingadingling
I'm spending a month in London on a business trip and considered a month at the W as a Plat member - based on the poor/lukewarm reviews I now have to reconsider. A big point in favor is that my client's office is walking distance near Leicester Square, however these are some of the worst W reviews I've ever read.

Is management simply disinterested due to tourist droves? What a shame for the brand. I've had excellent experiences in other Ws.

The Sheraton Grand is definitely the nicest of the three hotels, and would probably be my choice for a monthlong stay, but depends how you feel about a bit of a walk (you could also take the Piccadilly line from Green Park on rainy days or days you otherwise don't feel like making the walk). Standard rooms at the Sheraton are also very small, as is the case at both of the other hotels as well, and they may not be willing to give out an upgrade for a monthlong stay. If you're able to, it might be worth booking an upgraded room category from the start rather than hoping for an upgrade.

The Sheraton also has the advantage of being a very quiet area, whereas the LM and W are right in the middle of touristland, which could get annoying, depending how you feel about such locations.

I haven't stayed at the LM in a while, but I believe the Sheraton's club lounge offerings are at least as good as what the LM offers these days.
bizum likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:18 pm

Does anyone have the reservations email address for the W London they can DM me? After the combination of sites I can't seem to find a hotel email address anywhere.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just had a 2 night stay last week as a Platinum so I wanted to add some updates/thoughts on the property:
- I generally liked the property and the overall customer service I got from all staff that I interacted with was very good.
- Got an early check-in around 11:30ish after trying to check in even earlier due to an early morning arrival from the US. (early check-in is in my experience a problem at most W's I have stayed at)
- Got an "upgrade" to a king room on the 6th floor from the standard Points & Cash room I had booked. When I checked in I asked if they could give me a room on a high floor to avoid the reported noise issues.
- Since I got a room on the 6th floor, I had no noise issues from the bar/nightclub.
- Room layout was bizarre! I hated the huge vanity thing in the middle of the first half of the room. What a waste of space that made the room feel much smaller than it was. The toilet and showers are in separate closed off areas so that might not appeal to all but I didn't mind it. Furnishings were typical W decor and the bed was comfortable.
- As a platinum I took the free breakfast amenity. I am on the fence what I thought about the breakfast. The good....you can order something warm off the menu. The bad....the selection of the items set up on the bar as a buffet was lacking IMHO. What I was missing IMHO? More than one yogurt option, more than 2 bread options and I thought the meat/cheese options were the worst! How can a buffet offer one cheese option, 2 fish options (one raw and other with onions) and a super fatty soppresseta/bresaola type meat for breakfast? Service was good and the coffee was ok considering I haven't really had any good coffee in the UK.
- Location worked for me but it's like staying in Times Square in NYC. Sadly the area has changed since I was there last. I felt like I was in any large US city with Five Guys, McD, Burger King, Pizza Hut, TGIF and other chain restaurants a mass! Other good food options are a short walk away but cheap chain restaurants have really taken over the area.

In summation, the hotel worked for me for a short stay. I would stay there again and knowing to ask for a room on a higher floor probably helped with the noise. Not the best W I have stayed at but also definitely NOT the worst.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Stayed for 2 nights on a weekend break.

- Location. If you want to be downtown, fabulous. Leicester Sq is right there, China Town's entry gate is outside the hotel door, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Sq, Piccadilly Circus, etc all within a short walk. Direct access (as in no changing) to/from LHR on the Piccadilly line, the hotel is just between Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Sq tube stations. Short walk from either.

- Room. I don't know if we were upgraded or not on this award stay. The layout has been described above several times, so I won't go into it. Some peculiarities, though. It's a double room, but there's only on bar stool to sit. There is no work desk - on a work trip this is a no-no for me.

- Noise. The window halts the outside noise (from Leicester Sq) effectively. If not, it's probably open (not swung open, but tilted open) Close it. However, the (sub)bass thump-thump of the disco downstairs (I guess it's from the hotel's own club) is heard loud and clear and is going on until well after midnight (3rd floor room) If you think that disturbs your sleep, this is a no-go.

- Breakfast. The 1st floor bar cannot cope with the amount of guests. Also the choices are underwhelming. They charge Ł24 p.p, definitely not worth it, could be spent much better just stepping out the hotel door.

- At check-in I was made to chose between 1000p or free breakfast as amenity. Weird, as Titaniums should get both. Let's see what posts.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
- At check-in I was made to chose between 1000p or free breakfast as amenity. Weird, as Titaniums should get both. Let's see what posts.
Actually at St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio it's either points or breakfast.

Read more here https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/member-benefits/guarantee.mi
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks, good that I didn't start arguing
dgreen12 and joakgarp like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I had a recent stay here and thought I'd share my thoughts. I booked the lowest level room and was upgraded to a Marvelous suite. I arrive around 1pm and was met my a nice check in agent. He said they had upgraded me to a studio suite IIRC and would call me when the room was ready. I asked about free drink vouchers and was told no, but I said I rang in and someone told me we would get some. He later sent them to the room.

The room was great, good sized and overlooking LS. Got 4 bottles of water and there was a nespresso machine. Only w things I'd recommend they change, 1) would be to make one of the bottle still water instead of sparkling for the coffee machine and 2) they have a black out curtain for the bathroom area. The room itself has black outs, but the bathroom/tub area does not and there is no door separating the bedroom.

Had some drinks before I left out for the evening and was met by Benjamin who is the Ops manager. Really nice guy and was really helpful. He also gave me a buy one get one coupon for the next day. We started talking about Marriott properties around the world and got some good tips. Top notch service!

Came back later that evening for a few more drinks and started to chat to Benjamin again and commented about some restaurants. He gave me some recommendations right away and from what I found out the next day, he had messaged his manager that evening for recommendations as well. Again, top notch customer service.

I did use the gym, no more than 5 are allowed in at one time. Decent equipment and they have wipes and paper towels available. Two suggestions here, have water avail and regular towels. I've stayed in quite a few hotels during the pandemic and they made regular towels and water work.

Breakfast the next morning was downstairs on the 1st floor. I used my amenity for free breakfast and the staff and food were amazing. Had a few more drinks on the 2nd day and the staff was very attentive and accommodating.

Overall I was really impressed with the hotel and the staff and would recommend anyone wanting to stay there, give it a go!
oxfordjames, VSLover and joakgarp like this.

Last edited by chanp; Sep 4, 2020 at 6:30 am
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by chanp
I had a recent stay here and thought I'd share my thoughts. I booked the lowest level room and was upgraded to a Marvelous suite. I arrive around 1pm and was met my a nice check in agent. He said they had upgraded me to a studio suite IIRC and would call me when the room was ready. I asked about free drink vouchers and was told no, but I said I rang in and someone told me we would get some. He later sent them to the room.

The room was great, good sized and overlooking LS. Got 4 bottles of water and there was a nespresso machine. Only w things I'd recommend they change, 1) would be to make one of the bottle still water instead of sparkling for the coffee machine and 2) they have a black out curtain for the bathroom area. The room itself has black outs, but the bathroom/tub area does not and there is no door separating the bedroom.

Had some drinks before I left out for the evening and was met by Benjamin who is the Ops manager. Really nice guy and was really helpful. He also gave me a buy one get one coupon for the next day. We started talking about Marriott properties around the world and got some good tips. Top notch service!

Came back later that evening for a few more drinks and started to chat to Benjamin again and commented about some restaurants. He gave me some recommendations right away and from what I found out the next day, he had messaged his manager that evening for recommendations as well. Again, top notch customer service.

I did use the gym, no more than 5 are allowed in at one time. Decent equipment and they have wipes and paper towels available. Two suggestions here, have water avail and regular towels. I've stayed in quite a few hotels during the pandemic and they made regular towels and water work.

Breakfast the next morning was downstairs on the 1st floor. I used my amenity for free breakfast and the staff and food were amazing. Had a few more drinks on the 2nd day and the staff was very attentive and accommodating.

Overall I was really impressed with the hotel and the staff and would recommend anyone wanting to stay there, give it a go!
Thank you for the review, I am considering a stay soon as they are offering very low prices under the Healthcare Heroes rate (150-170 GBP a night) You mention an upgrade - please could you tell me your status? Apologies if I've missed it.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Thank you for the review, I am considering a stay soon as they are offering very low prices under the Healthcare Heroes rate (150-170 GBP a night) You mention an upgrade - please could you tell me your status? Apologies if I've missed it.
LTT
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by chanp

Wow great review. Guess I can give it a try as my replacement for the leaving Le Méridien Piccadilly. They are very close to each other.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i cant be bothered to look up government guide on re-opening, but gyms also do not provide towels anymore...only for showers. otherwise, good to hear a positive review, and agree about the bathroom window light! always annoyed me...well, back in the day when i'd travel so much to be bothered by my hotel bathroom with natural light haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.