Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Spice Market to Close

Hi

Just a heads up to anyone visiting W London that later this month Spice Market will be closed for good. The space occupied by Spice Market will then be leased our to the "Burger & Lobster" chain who will take a few months to convert the area before reopening.

Once it does breakfast will be contracted to "Burger & Lobster" and in the meantime it will be served in the 2nd floor "Studios" or meeting rooms if you prefer the non W term. Not sure what this will mean about the offering for Plats either short term or long term.

It does mean however that W London will no longer have a restaurant it has any real link to and historically Burger & Lobster does not do reservations and its a queuing system. Maybe they will offer hotel guests a queue jump option?

Either way though it seems to be a general downgrade of the property and cheapening of the brand, specially here in Europe where when W London was launched it was considered a flagship property (I will leave it to others to decide the rights or wrongs of that). It does however leave the hotel essentially without its own restaurant and while the W Lounge is a great space for a drink it is certainly far from ideal to try and eat anything substantial in.

Hopefully however Spice Market will try to find another space to open up a London restaurant!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Hi

Just a heads up to anyone visiting W London that later this month Spice Market will be closed for good. The space occupied by Spice Market will then be leased our to the "Burger & Lobster" chain who will take a few months to convert the area before reopening.
I don't get it... Spice Market was exceptional in both its cuisine as well as its service. Burger & Lobster is just another chain... Makes no sense..
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by George Kyriakos
I don't get it... Spice Market was exceptional in both its cuisine as well as its service. Burger & Lobster is just another chain... Makes no sense..
Money plain and simple!

Spice struggled to pickup any lunchtime traffic but had to open for lunch and thus didn't make money! It is to me a huge loss and will make me look at other hotels as I do not think any hotel that positions itself as a 5 star hotel should simply have a chain offering. I can see the commercial sense, but do wonder if its a short term fix that long term has negative impacts on the hotel and also the W brand.

If Spice had to close I do feel they should have aimed higher than Burger & Lobster, they cannot even offer hotel guests a restaurant to make a reservation in now!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
So would the Park Tower be a better choice now for a leisure trip. Location seems to be about the same for both.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i prefer the Park tower over W. (because i got upgraded to the named-suite on top floor at PT but nothing just a standard wonderful room at W )
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by omegadeal
So would the Park Tower be a better choice now for a leisure trip. Location seems to be about the same for both.
Noooo...location decently different. Would you rather be in Times Square or say Tribeca / the UES in NYC?

I'd also go for the PT personally.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:44 pm

Thumbs up thanks for the tip

Hi

appreciate the tip. Planning a London visit in the near future so this is good to know!

heres what you get when you're trying to book w on spg.com

Temporary Breakfast Relocation

Beginning March 23, 2016, breakfast will be served on the 2nd floor from 7am to 11am on weekdays, and 8am to 11:30am on weekends. Please contact the hotel for further information.

Last edited by bizum; Mar 21, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Made a reservation for July (cash) and Your24 request for 8am. Denied hours later already...
Old May 25, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Made a reservation for July (cash) and Your24 request for 8am. Denied hours later already...
Farnborough Air Show?
Old May 25, 2016, 3:04 pm

What room type and which day of the week are you arriving?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Farnborough Air Show?
What room type and which day of the week are you arriving?
Base room type and staying Mon-Weds ... right after public weekend for Farnborough Air Show
Old May 28, 2016, 1:46 am

Base room type and staying Mon-Weds ... right after public weekend for Farnborough Air Show
Afraid it doesn't surprise me that an 8am arrival was refused on a Monday. The hotel is often at capacity over the weekend and would suspect this time of year will certainly be so! They could not be sure someone will have left in time for a room to be cleaned by 8am.

I think they must sell any rooms they have left for weekends somewhere as I often see open availability go to zero availability overnight from a Thursday to Friday for the weekend!

Maybe try again a bit later.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:21 am

'Enhanced' Breakfast Times

I thought it best to give everyone a heads up that I have just had it confirmed that once Burger and Lobster opens the breakfast times will be changing and I for one do not believe they are for the better!

They do start earlier, but certainly finish a lot earlier and I have to say for the type of hotel and music / party atmosphere it has I find it amazing they finish breakfast early.

Mon – Fri: 6:30am – 10am
Sat & Sun: 7am – 10:30am

It is clearly in the deal to get Burger and Lobster in and get more rent rather than to benefit guests of the hotel! The old time at a weekend was 11:30, much better if you had partied the night before!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:51 pm

Hi

anyone please able to tell me what benefits, if any, an SPG Gold is likely to see at this W ...?

many thanks
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by drmish1
Hi

anyone please able to tell me what benefits, if any, an SPG Gold is likely to see at this W ...?

many thanks
Stayed here as a Gold in November 2015. Staff are nice and the property is beautiful, but all you get is an acknowledgment of your status, bonus points and, if anything, an upgrade to a higher floor but in your same room category.

No big deal - aside from the open floor plan that some may find lacking in privacy, there's plenty of space to spread out in the standard rooms.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.