Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:34 am

Yes, looks like 75% of people get the visa within 3 months.

It will be 2 months since application submission for me so i am going to need some luck.

I'll try the phone number but I think you are right, they wont want to hear from me
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by HeatherDsyd
I'm from the US and traveling to Australia in June. I was able to get my ETA tourist visa via the app. It didn't approve me immediately which made me a bit nervous but it sent me an email about 15mins later approving me....
A data point: My ETA approval arrived 25 hours after my application.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Our Company IT Tech suggested uninstall & re- install the app. I followed his advise. Yesterday I uninstalled the APP & re-installed it today.
The application process took 6 mins from start to finish. 3 mins after I submitted the application via the app: Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) was granted within 3 mins via the email.

Data Point: Once submission was completed a message was generated noting Visa would be emailed.
It seems they have updated the app. A Visa approval & the receipt is no longer generated on the app.
The ETA PDF is 2 pages.
The Electronic Travel Authority is automatically linked to your passport as well.
I have Samsung galaxy S22
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compared to the info post 124, where was version 1.6.0
So has had a update
Installs have gone from 10,000+ to 50,000+

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_AU&gl=US
Additional information
Updated 21 March 2022
Size 95M
Installs 50,000+
Current Version 1.6.1
Requires Android 7.0 and up
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Compared to the info post 124, where was version 1.6.0
So has had a update
Installs have gone from 10,000+ to 50,000+

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_AU&gl=US
Never got app to work on my newish Android phone. Had to borrow an iPhone. Completed it, received eta by email, then deleted app from borrowed ohone
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Can’t do ETAs for FT Community anymore

I’ve updated my WiKi :
Free Australian ETA Visa application*

* Due to changes to Australian entry requirements post-Covid, I am unable to process anymore ETAs *

Everyone must now apply their ETAs online themselves at (via the app or the Tourist Stream visa): https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...-authority-601

Visitor ETAs can only be processed for the following applicable passport holders:

USA, CANADA , BRUNEI, HONGKONG (SAR), JAPAN, MALAYSIA, SINGAPORE & SOUTH KOREA.

EUROPEAN Passport Holders (including Switzerland, Norway, Iceland) must apply for an 'eVisitor' pass at this site:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...g/evisitor-651

It has been a pleasure helping out the FT community these past 15 years.

Happy travels..

Wayne aka Guy Betsy

P.S. - those people who are having problems with the ETA app are probably those whose passports don’t have a specific format in segregating surnames with forenames eg Malaysian passports. The info put in will not correspond with the e-chip when the app scans for it and therefore it’ll cause a rejection of the application.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 18, 2022 at 9:59 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 8:51 am

Hi, I plan to participate in a conference in Sydney on July 10. I hold Greek passport but I am a permanent resident in the United States.

I applied for an eVisitor 651 visa on May 17 (3 days ago), unfortunately it was not approved on the spot which seems to be the typical case and my visa application still shows as "received" in ImmiAccount. I read that the processing time for 90% of 651 visas is 6 days, but I'm starting getting nervous. I now uploaded a letter from the conference organizers showing that I am invited to participate. What should I do if 6 days pass and my application is still pending? a) Wait more? b) Delete my application and resubmit it? c) Apply for business visitor 600 in parallel? Thanks!
Old May 20, 2022, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Panos17
Hi, I plan to participate in a conference in Sydney on July 10. I hold Greek passport but I am a permanent resident in the United States.

I applied for an eVisitor 651 visa on May 17 (3 days ago), unfortunately it was not approved on the spot which seems to be the typical case and my visa application still shows as "received" in ImmiAccount. I read that the processing time for 90% of 651 visas is 6 days, but I'm starting getting nervous. I now uploaded a letter from the conference organizers showing that I am invited to participate. What should I do if 6 days pass and my application is still pending? a) Wait more? b) Delete my application and resubmit it? c) Apply for business visitor 600 in parallel? Thanks!
Give it time. 10 July is ~ 7 weeks away. Today (now) is Saturday in Australia. The govt employee's will not be working the weekend. I doubt if deleting and resubmitting will get you to the front of the queue quicker. Just at the back again. With Australia being closed for ~2 years is a lot of people applying for visa's.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:30 pm

Approved, on day 7.
Mwenenzi, bensyd and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Panos17
Approved, on day 7.
So welcome to Oz when you get here.

When they state "90% of 651 visas is 6 days" I wonder if they mean working days. That is excluding weekends and public holidays.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I seem to be having trouble applying for ETA. The website tells me I'm not eligible, which is strange because I had no problem applying for one pre-COVID. What's going on?

Are there multiple entry ETAs? In the past, I would apply for a single entry, which was about A$20. I currently have three trips booked over six months.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Au Govt-->COVID-19 and the border
Visa listing-->https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a/visa-listing
Canada listed here (sub class 601)--->https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...01#Eligibility
Be a genuine visitor
You must only intend to:
  • stay temporarily in Australia
  • obey any condition and stay period attached to your visa
If you stay in Australia for long periods or make frequent visits to Australia, we may ask you about your travel purpose next time you enter Australia. If you are found not to be a genuine visitor, your ETA may be cancelled
Downloaded the app?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 27, 2022 at 2:53 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:57 pm

I have a bit of an issue here (I think) - applied for a 651 temporary visitor visa, due to expire March 2023.

My original travel was going to be November/December 2022 - but now my dates have changed.

I’d need to enter Australia around 4-5 days after the expiry of my current 651.

i know dates on the visa cannot be changed, but can a second 651 be applied for (so that you have two on your file with Australian immigration) ?

Or if not, is it possible to contact them to cancel the existing 651 and then apply for a new one (with no issues?!). TIA

The only reference I’ve seen so far is on this website, which states:

https://e-visa.co.uk/australia/validity/amp

Is your visa not valid for long enough?

Does your planned date of arrival in Australia fall outside the period of validity stated on the visa? Apply for a new visa. You can do this even before your current visa has expired. The new application will replace the previous visa, allowing you to travel to Australia for another year once it has been approved. Only submit this application if you are not currently in Australia.Apply for a new visa
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The web site "https://e-visa.co.uk/australia/validity/amp" is not an Au govt web site. But a commercial web site.
1.1.1. e-Visa.co.uk: a trade name of Digital Visa Systems B.V., statutorily seated at Amroth 14A, 5663 RD, Geldrop, with Dutch C.C number 72110449 and VAT number 375107010.
1.1.2. Website: the website e-Visa.co.uk.
Far better to refer to AU Govt web sites. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19/
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The web site "https://e-visa.co.uk/australia/validity/amp" is not an Au govt web site. But a commercial web site.
Far better to refer to AU Givt web sites. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19/
Thanks Mwenenzi for your reply. I was looking at the government website for a good 30-45 mins before that, the FAQ section, the visa conditions, the auto chatbot feature for questions etc and I can’t seem to find the answer on the Government site…

Anecdotally, I’ve found a few people have reported on trip advisor that they’ve just applied for a new 651, which seems to supersede the current one you have in place… I hope that’s right and doesn’t cause any problems!

EDIT: did some further digging and nothing said that you couldn’t apply for another visa, so I started going through the process and there is a part on the application where you can enter your current visa ‘grant number’ - long story short - all approved for new dates! Perfect!
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by Tofino87; Jun 28, 2022 at 4:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.