Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I am conflicted, the application was easy and straight forward (and cheap) I have no complaint, on the other what even is this for if you carry the "right" passport. Tit for Tat for USA's ESTA? If it were purely a cash grab, they can just add that to your ticket as a security fee. I guess it is to prevent undesirable (criminal/risky) entrants from boarding a plane?
The primary reason for the existence of these programs is to stop people being refused entry at the border and having to be deported.

For example, I'm going to presume you're a US Citizens. Previously, US Citizens could enter Australia without a visa - however only if they met certain criteria such as not having a criminal record (that's over-simplifying, but close enough). If someone with such a record turned up at the airport, the airline would let them board because they had a US passport, and US citizens are allowed enter Australia. On arrival in Australia they would be taken aside as a result of the answers on their incoming passenger card, interviewed, and likely deported and put back on a flight to the US as they were not eligible to enter the country. Obviously this isn't a good situation for anyone, including the passenger.

With a pre-approval program, this doesn't happen - or at least, the incidence of it happening is significantly reduced. The ineligibility is detected during the application process, and the ETA is not issued. As a result, the passenger cant board the flight, and never needs to be deported. It also gives the country additional time to carry out checks on passengers in advance of them arriving.

For most/all of these programs, the fee is intended only to cover the cost of the program. In fact, the Australia ETA is actually "free", but there is a $20 fee that goes to the company that runs the systems behind it. Prior to Covid, travel agents and airlines could apply for ETAs at zero cost. (The NZ one is a bit of an exception here - they add on an extra visit fee as a part of the NZeTA application, but not for citizens of all countries).

Also at no point did my airlines ask to see my ETAs for AUS or NZ.
The "E" in ETA stands for "Electronic". At check-in, your details will be sent to the Australian Government, and they will tell the airline weather you're approved to board the flight or not, based on your ETA/Visa/etc status. If you hadn't had an ETA, you would have been denied boarding.

I hit this a few weeks ago travelling to Canada. I'm a US Permanent Resident so as of last year I don't need an Canadian ETA, however United's app-based check-in doesn't handle that fact, so my check-in failed stating I didn't have a valid Visa/ETA. I applied for the Canadian ETA, was approved a few minutes later, and then tried to check-in again and this time it succeeded. The only way United could have known that is by checking with the Canadian government, which is exactly what happens!
SPN Lifer and AMRivlin like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It’s a surprisingly poor process these days. My wife just got an ETA, but only after first filling out all the form on the AU Immi website (which we did previously). 4 days later no response, so then we read online that one can ONLY apply via the app. Then why on earth is the other system still operational and accepts applications? Why is nothing listed when you go into the decision tree where in the end you get the option of a $0 application via the website or a $20 application via the app? Ugh, all worked out in the end, but this was not smooth.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
It’s a surprisingly poor process these days. My wife just got an ETA, but only after first filling out all the form on the AU Immi website (which we did previously). 4 days later no response, so then we read online that one can ONLY apply via the app. Then why on earth is the other system still operational and accepts applications? Why is nothing listed when you go into the decision tree where in the end you get the option of a $0 application via the website or a $20 application via the app? Ugh, all worked out in the end, but this was not smooth.
What was the "filling out all the form on the AU Immi website" and/or "other system still operational and accepts applications"?
Was that an gov au site or one of the many scam web sites?
Manual processing may happen during normal working hours. But someone is always on duty for more immediate requests.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...ocessing-times

As well as the ETA 601 visa are other visas types for tourists. Some are passport dependant.
Visa listhttps://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a/visa-listing
subclass 601 https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...-authority-601
subclass 600 https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...tream-overseas
subclass 651 https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...g/evisitor-651

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 10, 2024 at 1:20 pm
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

It’s a surprisingly poor process these days.
I appreciate someone I respect as a seasoned traveler weighing in on this. It wasn't just me.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All,
The app application has been poor for some time now Down Under and New Zealand's not much better.
In the New Zealand App all my information disappeared after being approved a few months later
and in The Australia App my family members information
disappeared right after being approved.Luckily they took a screenshot.I didn't
The good news is that both countries have very good friendly helpful customer service agents that helped us by phone.
Minimal hold time

Australia has a separate ETA website where you can enter all the information in and if the info entered originally
was all accurate you can see the information and or use their app if yours should go down
anytime during your journey on your phone.
The New Zealand site let me access all my information an print it out a copy to carry with me once all was lost.
So there are work around for some situations
and oh yeah there sure could be some improvements to their technology to improve the process
Starting to think Hilton or IHGs IT website team were hired to design the app
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My wife just got an ETA, but only after first filling out all the form on the AU Immi website (which we did previously). 4 days later no response, so then we read online that one can ONLY apply via the app. Then why on earth is the other system still operational and accepts applications? Why is nothing listed when you go into the decision tree where in the end you get the option of a $0 application via the website or a $20 application via the app? Ugh, all worked out in the end, but this was not smooth.
Are you sure she applied for an ETA and not an eVisitor (Subclass 651) visa? ETA (subclass 601) has never been free(*), and I can't see it listed anywhere in the IMMI website. 651 on the other hand is free, and is available for application - but US citizens are not eligible for that one.

The IMMI website itself is fairly clear about the fact that you need to use the app to apply, and doesn't provide any links to actually apply.

The other option, as has already been suggested, is that she may have been on a scam site rather than the real one.

Having said all that, I don't disagree the IMMi website is poor. I was using it last week for an ABTC application, and even that was a frustrating process.

(*) technically that's not correct. ETA/601 is free, and always has been, but there's always been a "surcharge" if you went via the official website/app to apply. If you could get someone with GDS access to apply for you, there was no charge.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Tit for Tat for USA's ESTA?
Australia introduced ETAs in 1996 while the US only required ETAs from 2009.
SPN Lifer, AMRivlin and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.