Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:17 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I'm In!

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a/visa-listing

My understanding (as an AU citizen) is the ETA-601 is the main visa for tourists from USA.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...01#Eligibility

People from UK/EU (but not USA) can apply for the 651
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...51#Eligibility
Awesome
I came to that conclusion last night.
Hadn't realized I had been approved as till you open the attachment it just says your application on the very top!
Another bloody American coming your way lol.Can't wait
Its been 3 years since I've been. The longest time away over the decades!
Won't take it for granted after the past years thats for sure!
bensyd likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Apologies for the basic question. First time traveler to Australia, US Citizen. I already have my e-visa for next year. When applying, I put a hotel as a placeholder for my address. I have a new address I'd prefer to use. Do I need to try to update this, or will passport control not care?
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by northinsouth
Apologies for the basic question. First time traveler to Australia, US Citizen. I already have my e-visa for next year. When applying, I put a hotel as a placeholder for my address. I have a new address I'd prefer to use. Do I need to try to update this, or will passport control not care?
You will fill out an arrival card which should have an accurate address and other contact details. They won't care if it differs from your e-visa.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by northinsouth
As a US passport holder it's unlikely you will encounter an immigration officer. The whole passport control system is automated for some countries, including the US. When you clear customs on the way out someone will ask for the passenger declaration you've filled out. They may take a cursory look at it but mostly I think they just collect them for statistical data.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
As a US passport holder it's unlikely you will encounter an immigration officer. The whole passport control system is automated for some countries, including the US. When you clear customs on the way out someone will ask for the passenger declaration you've filled out. They may take a cursory look at it but mostly I think they just collect them for statistical data.
They pay attention to the BioSecurity questions. Particularly given the Foot N Mouth in Bali at the moment.
bensyd and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 4:54 am

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
We just went through Customs and Immigration as US Citizens. It was very expedient. However as has been mentioned just be very careful to declare everything. The Australians take their bio security very seriously. But you will not get in any trouble if they find something bad as long as you declared it.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Can I get ETA for myself AND spouse on one smartphone?

I downloaded the ap just fine but before I apply for myself I'd like to maker sure that I can also apply for my husband, who doesn't have a smartphone, ergo no ap, Does anyone know? I've already tried using the Digital assistant on the website and searched here for answer. Thanks in advance
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
I downloaded the ap just fine but before I apply for myself I'd like to maker sure that I can also apply for my husband, who doesn't have a smartphone, ergo no ap, Does anyone know? I've already tried using the Digital assistant on the website and searched here for answer. Thanks in advance
People above have used others people phones. Look at posts up the thread.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Yes, 100%. I used my phone for my entire family. You'll end up with a list of each person and tapping on them will show their visa status.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yes, 100%. I used my phone for my entire family. You'll end up with a list of each person and tapping on them will show their visa status.
Thank you very much for your response!
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
People above have used others people phones. Look at posts up the thread.
Before posting my question, I reviewed all the posts since mid-2021 and yes, there were 2 posts from one person who used their friend's phone but I I found no reference to 2 people applying using one phone. Since it appears that the ETA is tied to the passport number, it would be logical to be able to use one phone, but I’ve been burned before when "assuming" that technology does what I think is logical. I always test/verify before counting on it. Call me skeptical… I really appreciate TheCanuckian’s response confirming that that it's been done.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I hope that those of us who have a Global Entry card are allowed to use the Smartgate when arriving into Oz and NZ? Can anyone verify this is still possible? Planning to bring mine in Jan/Feb 2023.
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I hope that those of us who have a Global Entry card are allowed to use the Smartgate when arriving into Oz and NZ? Can anyone verify this is still possible? Planning to bring mine in Jan/Feb 2023.
Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, one doesn't have to be a member of GE to be eligible to use them. Just have a qualifying biometric passport from an eligible country, a(n) visa/evisa/ETA and a completed arrival card.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Apologies because it's possible I may have asked this before, but does anyone know the reasoning (if any) behind many European countries being eligible for the eVisitor and ETA visa while non-European countries for ETA, and the difference between them in terms of validity, applying, etc?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Thanks in advance.
As above nothing to do with Global Entry card. With smartgate you just put your eligible chipped passport in the reader. In AU if OK will be given a card. At the gate insert card which will open, then 1 step forward where it takes your photo. If OK gate opens and then to bag pick up, customs & bio security. Visa is checked against passport. NZ has better machines without the card:- scanning-gates in 1 machine.
Au govt --> https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-...lia/smartgates

FT-->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Originally Posted by Nayef
Apologies because it's possible I may have asked this before, but does anyone know the reasoning (if any) behind many European countries being eligible for the eVisitor and ETA visa while non-European countries for ETA, and the difference between them in terms of validity, applying, etc?
No. Will be risk based. The range of countries eligible has changed over time.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 1, 2022 at 3:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.