Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at BWI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Cars at BWI

Anyone spot anything interesting at BWI other than the usual Impalas and Grand Prix's? I'm out there in 2 weeks for leisure and hoping to pick up something nice
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have had mixed results with the selection at BWI. I rented from Avis this past weekend but looked at the National section of the garage when I returned my Avis car Sunday. The Exec Selection was almost entirely Impalas and Grand Priz, but there were two Dodge Magnums and a Charger mixed in. I did score a Volvo S60 and Toyota 4Runner the last two times I rented from National at BWI, but there were only a few cars on the entire lot both times. Seems to me that when the location has plenty of cars (like last Sunday) the Executive Selection is pretty uninspiring.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:50 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Was in BWI at the beginning of March.

There were a number of Impalas, Grand Prix, one or two suburbans and a few Volvo S60s (one of which I took). The car's really don't have anything in them, I was unable to find one with Sirius or XM (and I went into pretty much every car there). My Volvo was really underpowered and proved to be a gas gusler. When exciting, their computers had broken down and everyone ended up waiting 30+ minutes. I nearly got smashed into when the person infront backed up without looking.

At least, when I ran out of time to find a pump nearby, they forgot to charge me for the fuel. That's about the only positive I have with this location. The bus ride itself is 10-15 minutes long and the staff seem to not really enjoy being there.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, based on what you're telling me I'm hoping that I at least get a car with Sat radio.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had terrible luck at BWI Exec on March 31 (a Monday) at 5pm. I was lucky to get an regular Grand Prix.... and I was really looking for a Trailblazer LS as I had about seven hours of driving over three days. I asked if I could take one of the premium cars (I think a 300) in the extra-special spot right outside the entrance, and was curtly told that those were not EA cars.

OTOH, they were charging $78/day, and I was using up three free days rather than pay that kind of money, so I can't complain too terribly much.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The few times I've been at BWI, at Exec they were stocked with mostly Impalas. A few small SUVs but nothing very exciting. Though after some poking around, I selected a fresh Impala with 12 mi on the odometer, XM, leather, and a sunroof. Probably one of the best Impalas I've ever driven, and it was for an 8 hour trip one-way to BNA.
Old May 4, 2008, 8:09 am
Original Poster

So I was just at BWI on Friday morning and they had a grand total of 4 cars in Executive and 3 cars in EA. The 4 in executive were a Saturn Aura w/ XM, Buick Lacrosse fully loaded without XM, Saturn Outlook (SUV), and a base Impala with no options. Pretty sad if you ask me. I ended up with the Aura but it turns out the car has 23,000 miles on it and it shimmies horribly when you hit the brakes. Thanks National!
Old May 4, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platnum, Hilton Diamond, WN A-List + and CP
BWI is definitely a mixed bag. My company car is only a 2-seater, so I rent here a lot if I have visitors from other offices. Even exec is terrible a lot of the time. I've had the best luck on Saturday night or mid-week. I've been able to score a Cherokee and Magnum on those days, which is about the best you're gonna do.

One time on a Monday morning, they had absolutely nothing except for maybe one or two well-worn Malibus. I was able to talk my way into a brand new Cadillac DTS with 5 miles on the odometer. That was a nice change of pace, but I had to prove to the boss it was a free upgrade!
Old May 6, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
BWI definitely is hit or miss. The last two times I have rented from there (both within the last month), the Executive Selection was comprised mostly of Impalas and regular Grand Prix. On one occassion, there was a new 4Runner and a couple of Envoys, and on another, there were only small SUV's in addtion to the Impalas/Grand Prix. On both occassions, I was fortunate enough that they pulled a Volvo S60 into the Executive Selection just as I was about to give up and select another car.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This past weekend at BWI:

- On Friday at 4pm, the lot was rather picked over, but miraculously there was a Volvo V70 with 3400 miles on it sitting in the Executive aisle. Full leather and sunroof, but a little underpowered and bit small in headroom for either a premium or a special fullsize. Still, it was perfect for what I needed for the weekend.
- On Sunday at 4pm, the EA was all Malibu and smaller. The Executive line looked to have the standard Impalas, a couple of crossovers and maybe a S60.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:45 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
I rented yesterday (Mon.) at around noon and I saw a few Impalas, one Highlander, and one S40, which I took. There might have been a Grand Prix there also. I was in a hurry, so headed straight for the ES and didn't notice what was on the EA.

Pretty underwhelmed, but then I was only taking the car to DC as a one-way rental, so it still did the job.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I came in there last Thurs night and the same junk as above. Impala's and Grand Prixs but they just pulled up a Malibu LTZ which was nicely loaded. I have had it before and its not too bad. It has XM as well and was pretty new. I took it to NJ and back and was very comfortable. Its a decent fallback if all you can find is junk. Just make sure you look for the LTZ.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrived there yesterday afternoon mid-afternoon as the storm started to die down. A pretty full lot everywhere except the ES.... BWI's staff pretty much verbally stop you when you come outside and really don't want you looking around - I asked where the F line was, and she said "there's a fullsize car there in the ES" pointing to a Malibu.

ES had four cars at 3pm on a Wednesday in a full lot. The above-mentioned Malibu, a Gallant, a Camry, and fortunately a red Charger SXT with Sirius. Not exactly the car I want to drive in bad weather, but it'd do. The matron was honest with me that the SUV were all going to Reserve rentals and last-minute paid upgrades.

The regular aisle was filled up with all the excess minivans, and a reasonable mix of midsize cars and Kia SUVs.

I also asked the agent about the Executive VIP selection of five very nice cars (a Caddy, a nice SUV, some sort of Toyota, etc.) right next to the door - the only station where I consistently see this, and asked that as an Emerald Executive Elite if maybe I could have one of them. Absolutely not. I suspect that these cars are not really just for Executive VIP.... but really for paid upgrades at the counter.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coming back on Saturday late in the afternoon, the ES was jam-packed-full. Nothing really stunning there, mostly just an Impala parking lot. But definitely better than the Malibu-fest that is often there during the week.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
I picked up at BWI on Monday morning. Not a huge range of product on the ES. Mostly Impalas, but there were a few brand-new Altimas there - I grabbed one with 700 miles on the odo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.