Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
What typical Emerald Club renters do: Go directly to the 4th floor and stand in line at the Emerald booth. When asked to pick a car from the appropriate stalls (depending on whether you're Emerald or Exec), either pick the car that's closest, whatever it is, or shrug and wait for the CSR to list what's there.

What the serious FlyerTalk members do: Go directly to the 4th floor. Walk up and down the aisle noting what's available, including trim level; peer through windows (all cars are locked); and inspect the barcode tags. Optional: take a photo to post here. Then, and only then, do you stand in line with your first choice and alternative choices.
Haha, sounds like a plan! Thanks for the insight. Will definitely be doing the 2nd choice!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Rented at HNL this morning. The aisles were full, but disappointing selection. ES had plenty of Honda Accord and Subaru Forester. Only cars of interest was a Chrysler 300 and an Impala LTZ. EA had a Nissan Altima 3.5 SL which I would've taken if I had an aisle reservation.

I was using my free day coupon and reserved a Full Size SUV (most expensive vehicle I could reserve). They were out of Tahoe's and Yukon's and had assigned me a Suburban. As I was just gonna tour the island with my girlfriend I didn't want anything that big. I asked about the cars in the premier section and they let me take a 2017 BMW X3 i28, but told me no for a 2018 BMW 430i convertible. They offered to bring up an X5, but I figured the X3 would be good enough for just 2 people.

The X3 was a nice ride with leather seats, panoramic sunroof, apple CarPlay(over WiFi or USB) and only 900 miles when I picked it up. It did however lack a backup cam and the sound system was rather poor. The performance was good for a 4-cylinder but I can imagine the 6-cylinder (35i) being even more fun. All in all I was pretty happy with my free day ride.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by OSLexpat
Rented at HNL this morning. The aisles were full, but disappointing selection. ES had plenty of Honda Accord and Subaru Forester. Only cars of interest was a Chrysler 300 and an Impala LTZ. EA had a Nissan Altima 3.5 SL which I would've taken if I had an aisle reservation.

I was using my free day coupon and reserved a Full Size SUV (most expensive vehicle I could reserve). They were out of Tahoe's and Yukon's and had assigned me a Suburban. As I was just gonna tour the island with my girlfriend I didn't want anything that big. I asked about the cars in the premier section and they let me take a 2017 BMW X3 i28, but told me no for a 2018 BMW 430i convertible. They offered to bring up an X5, but I figured the X3 would be good enough for just 2 people.

The X3 was a nice ride with leather seats, panoramic sunroof, apple CarPlay(over WiFi or USB) and only 900 miles when I picked it up. It did however lack a backup cam and the sound system was rather poor. The performance was good for a 4-cylinder but I can imagine the 6-cylinder (35i) being even more fun. All in all I was pretty happy with my free day ride.
Interesting. One of the more rare rental locations that have Hondas and Subarus as fleet cars. I'll be doing monthly rentals for about 6 months there during a job assignment next month and the Forester sounds intriguing...roomy enough for stuff but still driving like a car.

I'm hoping for a good ES selection but it seems they are the usual suspects? (V6 chargers, Impalas, Dodge Journeys, etc.)

I was able to get a 300C at SAN in May and it was decent for a "luxury" car. But maybe it'll be better selection when I arrive. I was told also over the phone that with a monthly rental I could come in anytime and exchange cars of the same category if needed.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Interesting. One of the more rare rental locations that have Hondas and Subarus as fleet cars. I'll be doing monthly rentals for about 6 months there during a job assignment next month and the Forester sounds intriguing...roomy enough for stuff but still driving like a car.

I'm hoping for a good ES selection but it seems they are the usual suspects? (V6 chargers, Impalas, Dodge Journeys, etc.)

I was able to get a 300C at SAN in May and it was decent for a "luxury" car. But maybe it'll be better selection when I arrive. I was told also over the phone that with a monthly rental I could come in anytime and exchange cars of the same category if needed.
If you like the Forester, you're in luck. They are pretty common in the Exec section. Base model, no frills. Other typical intermediate CUV/SUVs are the Rogue, Compass, CR-V (they have new 2017 models in the fleet), Cherokee, and Escape.

They usually have a few PCARs on Exec at any given time, ranging from Accord or Legacy to Implala or 300 (300C or 300S). Maxima is a little more rare.

A few sport coupes is also typical -- a Challenger or Camaro.

Take a close look at both sides of the aisle. I've taken from the Emerald side because they had a Fusion Hybrid or Titanium or a Charger on that side. I've also seen a base Altima S parked in Exec and an Altima 3.5SL on Emerald.

One other tip if you're looking for a newer vehicle: On Oahu, new(er) cars have plates starting with T. License plates are issued (more or less) sequentially. For example, a license plate that starts with TD- is likely newer than one that starts with TB- or S.

The other indicator is the safety inspection sticker on the right-rear bumper. The numbers are month and year (e.g. 07 19) that it expires. New cars have stickers valid for 2 years, so subtract 2 years from the sticker and that's when the car was probably put into service. In the example above, the car was placed in service in July 2017, so pretty new.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
If you like the Forester, you're in luck. They are pretty common in the Exec section. Base model, no frills. Other typical intermediate CUV/SUVs are the Rogue, Compass, CR-V (they have new 2017 models in the fleet), Cherokee, and Escape.

They usually have a few PCARs on Exec at any given time, ranging from Accord or Legacy to Implala or 300 (300C or 300S). Maxima is a little more rare.

A few sport coupes is also typical -- a Challenger or Camaro.

Take a close look at both sides of the aisle. I've taken from the Emerald side because they had a Fusion Hybrid or Titanium or a Charger on that side. I've also seen a base Altima S parked in Exec and an Altima 3.5SL on Emerald.

One other tip if you're looking for a newer vehicle: On Oahu, new(er) cars have plates starting with T. License plates are issued (more or less) sequentially. For example, a license plate that starts with TD- is likely newer than one that starts with TB- or S.

The other indicator is the safety inspection sticker on the right-rear bumper. The numbers are month and year (e.g. 07 19) that it expires. New cars have stickers valid for 2 years, so subtract 2 years from the sticker and that's when the car was probably put into service. In the example above, the car was placed in service in July 2017, so pretty new.
Ugh base model...shoulda guessed. I assume some of those CUV/smaller SUV are also the base models as well. The new Maximas are very nice so not surprised. Any experience with what trim the Accords are? 300 wouldn't be so bad I guess. I'd love to keep clear of the Imapals of the rental world, lol.

Very good tip on checking on the EA side as well. I would definitely not mind a Fusion Ti or Hybrid, as I've heard good things and they are not bad looking cars at all.

And thanks a ton on the tip for looking at the license plates and the stickers! Will definitely keep these in mind when I land in HNL!!! ^
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Ugh base model...shoulda guessed. I assume some of those CUV/smaller SUV are also the base models as well. The new Maximas are very nice so not surprised. Any experience with what trim the Accords are? 300 wouldn't be so bad I guess. I'd love to keep clear of the Imapals of the rental world, lol.
The Accords are mostly base (LX) with the occasional Sport thrown in.

I've seen both the S and SV trims of the Maxima on the Exec line.

Just like the cars, the trim levels of the Intermediate SUVs varies by manufacturer. I've seen Limited trim Jeep Cherokees and, more recently, a couple of SV trim Rogues.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Arrived yesterday 8/13 around 3 PM. There was exactly 1 car (a Challenger) in the exec aisle. I ended up taking a Corolla from the regular aisle as I didn't feel like waiting any longer.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:08 pm

I arrived 8/7 around 5PM. Slim pickins up and down the lot (some Accord, Camry, and HRV). I asked for an Infiniti SUV and they countered with "take any of those BMW over there." I ended up with a 740Li on a full size res.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by whistler814
I arrived 8/7 around 5PM. Slim pickins up and down the lot (some Accord, Camry, and HRV). I asked for an Infiniti SUV and they countered with "take any of those BMW over there." I ended up with a 740Li on a full size res.
Nice!

Now that I'm hoping to score for. I have EC status (not EC Elite though...)and is on a month to month rental (was told I can come in anytime to exchange for different cars) so I might have to try this out.

I'll be arriving this Sunday at around 12pm so will update with report
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:21 am

Update on HNL after just landed earlier today.

Arrived there at about 2pm or so on a Sunday. Medium sized line, about a dozen deep constantly.

Upgrade/premier section. No luck sweet talking the agent into any of these (of course I am on a monthly rental for 6 months total so....lol)

There was also a QX80 hiding in the far back.

Selection was quite sparse for both EA and ES. Multiple Jeep Renegades, Rogues, Altimas, Hyundais, Accord LX.

Only few notables:
1 Camaro RS convertible that a guy already took and was having difficulty putting the ragtop down.
1 Audi Q5 (claimed already when I saw it pull up and asked for it but likely someone else may have had a specific reservation for that)
1 Nissan Armada
1 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Most people were simply waiting in line to get whatever sounded good at the desk. Of course I walked the lot twice before going to the counter.

Handful of Wrangler Unlimiteds, Mustang verts (base model it seems, not ecoboost), and a CRV and a couple of Forresters.

I'm here at HNL for 6 months and will have rental car entire time. I talked to the lady and she said I can just drop off the car anytime to change it out.

I asked what days/times are more cars available and she specifically told me:
Thursday and Friday afternoons are good options as business travelers leave and the vacationers are just starting to arrive (which of course is a constant stream of baseline vacationers).

She says Sat/Sun/Mon are the busy days for them. And said I can call ahead to see which cars are available.

I'll likely be doing more regular reports of HNL as I'm here and will be here for a while.

Oh and I personally took a Wrangler Unlimited Sport, just to see how it drives and all the "It's a Jeep Thing."

Yeah I'll likely return it and pick something else later this week lol.....I might try for a very early Friday to see about potential selections....

edit: qs933 seems to be a local expert for national at HNL. I'll try to do my best to contribute as well since I'm on a monthly rental and was told I can bring my car back anytime and switch out to different car.

I think I remember the agent said the Exec stalls were on the left side (looking down the parking road) and the EA is on the right side....

I did walk past the Premier section to another "hidden" area but it seemed like some kind of holding spot for cars to be brought out....

Last edited by ginmqi; Aug 21, 2017 at 2:10 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:53 pm

Update on HNL after just landed earlier today.

Arrived there at about 2pm or so on a Sunday. Medium sized line, about a dozen deep constantly.

Upgrade/premier section. No luck sweet talking the agent into any of these (of course I am on a monthly rental for 6 months total so....lol)

There was also a QX80 hiding in the far back.

Selection was quite sparse for both EA and ES. Multiple Jeep Renegades, Rogues, Altimas, Hyundais, Accord LX.

Only few notables:
1 Camaro RS convertible that a guy already took and was having difficulty putting the ragtop down.
1 Audi Q5 (claimed already when I saw it pull up and asked for it but likely someone else may have had a specific reservation for that)
1 Nissan Armada
1 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Most people were simply waiting in line to get whatever sounded good at the desk. Of course I walked the lot twice before going to the counter.

Handful of Wrangler Unlimiteds, Mustang verts (base model it seems, not ecoboost), and a CRV and a couple of Forresters.

I'm here at HNL for 6 months and will have rental car entire time. I talked to the lady and she said I can just drop off the car anytime to change it out.

I asked what days/times are more cars available and she specifically told me:
Thursday and Friday afternoons are good options as business travelers leave and the vacationers are just starting to arrive (which of course is a constant stream of baseline vacationers).

She says Sat/Sun/Mon are the busy days for them. And said I can call ahead to see which cars are available.

I'll likely be doing more regular reports of HNL as I'm here and will be here for a while.

Oh and I personally took a Wrangler Unlimited Sport, just to see how it drives and all the "It's a Jeep Thing."

Yeah I'll likely return it and pick something else later this week lol.....I might try for a very early Friday to see about potential selections....

edit: qs933 seems to be a local expert for national at HNL. I'll try to do my best to contribute as well since I'm on a monthly rental and was told I can bring my car back anytime and switch out to different car.

I think I remember the agent said the Exec stalls were on the left side (looking down the parking road) and the EA is on the right side....

I did walk past the Premier section to another "hidden" area but it seemed like some kind of holding spot for cars to be brought out....
That Mustang in your 3rd picture (in H13) is an Ecoboost Premium. When the trunk badge is just a running horse, that's an Ecoboost. The V6 (discontinued for '18) has what they call a "Tribar Pony", with vertical red/white/blue bars behind it. The GT (obviously) has a GT badge.

With regard to base vs premium, the entire rear bumper is body color on a base. Premiums have the body colored upper bumper and body colored rear valance, while the rest is that dark gray pebbled plastic - around the exhaust outlets and reflectors.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
That Mustang in your 3rd picture (in H13) is an Ecoboost Premium. When the trunk badge is just a running horse, that's an Ecoboost. The V6 (discontinued for '18) has what they call a "Tribar Pony", with vertical red/white/blue bars behind it. The GT (obviously) has a GT badge.

With regard to base vs premium, the entire rear bumper is body color on a base. Premiums have the body colored upper bumper and body colored rear valance, while the rest is that dark gray pebbled plastic - around the exhaust outlets and reflectors.

Dang it!!! Shows my ignorance of the Mustang lineup....SIGH. I would've definitely taken that then. Ah well, I'll stop by maybe later this week in a day or two to look around again.

Thanks for the lesson and now that I look closely you're right in that that back end is definitely a bit different with the pony (which I don't think base models have, and obviously as you said the GT has the GT logo) and the bottom body trim coloring. I'll definitely need to do more homework on my cars!

Looks like on Ford's website the new 2018s are just the 5.0 and the 2.3L then
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry

Dang it!!! Shows my ignorance of the Mustang lineup....SIGH. I would've definitely taken that then. Ah well, I'll stop by maybe later this week in a day or two to look around again.
Its a nice car too, i drive that exact vehicle a few weeks ago
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:30 pm

Labor Day at 9pm (9/4/2017).

Lot is filled with the usual suspects with nothing of interest except for an Accord Sport:
4 Honda Accords
3-4 CRV
2 HRV
Handful of Jeep Patriots
few Subaru Forresters
2 Dodge Charger SXT
1 Toyota Corolla
couple of Hyudai midsize SUVs

There were no other interesting options for pick up. A Wrangler and a Mustang vert was parked at the end for reserved customers who booked those cars specifically.

Agent said she is slammed due to Labor Day.

I took the Accord Sport (classified as a PCAR). Great great car but....the former driver must've been a chimney as it reeks of strong smoke. I'm gonna have to go back today and exchange.

They had a Range Rover SUV convertible (like that crazy Nissan murano convertible) at the premier row and it was pretty ugly....

Will see how a tuesday evening looks tonight.....
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:28 pm

Tuesday at 6pm.

Incredibly sparse. Nothing to arouse the automotive senses at all. Many empty spots.

One interesting sight was one of those larger Fiat 500.

Couple of Nissan Frontiers, Toyota Corollas, Jeep Patriots, Dodge Journeys, a Camry, couple of Fusions (not hybrid or Titanium). No Accords and no Forresters tonight. Couple CRVs and HRV

I saw a CRV that looked fairly new and had the nicer wheels (rather than the standard hubcap setup).

Picked that and the agent said it was my lucky day. It's a brand new delivery (only 30mi on the odometer). So far liking the CRV. It looks like a fairly basic model, no AWD and no navigation and no leather and many blank switches on the dash.

I might've picked the Fiat just to try it out but I do need some room for some large luggage cases.

The manager did confirm that Thur/Fri are usually more drop offs and have more cars available...which is similar to what another agent said.

I might stop by next week to check on those weekdays to see if there's better selection
Attached Images   

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.