Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:06 pm

Looks like C4, 8, 10 and 14 are now common use gates.
Attached Images    
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Went through today and C3 C5 C7 have American logos and carpet in the gate areas. Michael Symon's place still walled off under construction.

Oh, and I saw the TSA wait time display - "less than 10 minutes" at A and C, with B marked as "Pre Check only" and no wait time mentioned.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by paule123
Went through today and C3 C5 C7 have American logos and carpet in the gate areas. Michael Symon's place still walled off under construction
"Bar Symon" had it's unofficial opening yesterday, in advance of the AA move.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by guy44134
Looks like C4, 8, 10 and 14 are now common use gates.
Seems odd that those gates have the AA podiums but are being considered common use? Unless they wanted to use the same ones for consistency.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:12 am

Savings on AA-city joint procurement? Expansion opportunity for AA in the future?
Old May 3, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Seems odd that those gates have the AA podiums but are being considered common use? Unless they wanted to use the same ones for consistency.
Originally Posted by RobS
Savings on AA-city joint procurement? Expansion opportunity for AA in the future?
Given how relatively distinctive AA's (and well, all of the majors) gate furniture has become I'd doubt that AA would be crazy about letting common use gates hijack (or possibly dilute/damage) that brand value.

My guess is that they're likely preferential use gates for AA -- AA has first grab at them but the airport can assign other airlines to those gates if needed (for years the FAA has been trying to push airports to stop/dramatically reduce the number of exclusive use gate leases and use preferential or common-use leases instead to help encourage competition and airport access... but they haven't made huge inroads yet)
Old May 5, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: UA MM
AA move

An AA gate agent mentioned to me a couple days ago that they plan to move over to concourse C sometime this month. I don't see how three gates could possibly be enough, though, considering they're using five or six now.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Leaving CLE for AMS today... Bar Symon is open. GLBC is "closed for renovation" (all signage is still intact, work is clearly going on, and it's plastic sheeting rather than the traditional drywall/painted plywood enclosure, so I suspect that it really is a renovation)

C3, C5, C7 have AA backboards and new carpet but no podiums as yet (and a chunk of airport seating covering the unfinished electrical sticking out of the floor where the podiums will go.

There's a lot of furniture-type stuff stacked in what used to be the United CSC but I couldn't get a good feel for what exactly it was or where it would be going.

The remaining low/mid C gates have furniture that looks like it was picked up from a scratch and dent center and doesn't really jive with the look AA is pulling off in their branded gates, so maybe CLE is trying to upgrade CU gates cheaply.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Not to worry. Apparently renovations are complete and GLBC is back!

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Leaving CLE for AMS today... Bar Symon is open. GLBC is "closed for renovation" (all signage is still intact, work is clearly going on, and it's plastic sheeting rather than the traditional drywall/painted plywood enclosure, so I suspect that it really is a renovation)

Last edited by 50Kthehardway; May 9, 2017 at 4:31 pm Reason: I am lousy at using my mobile device
Old May 12, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

C3, C5, C7 have AA backboards and new carpet but no podiums as yet (and a chunk of airport seating covering the unfinished electrical sticking out of the floor where the podiums will go.

There's a lot of furniture-type stuff stacked in what used to be the United CSC but I couldn't get a good feel for what exactly it was or where it would be going.

The remaining low/mid C gates have furniture that looks like it was picked up from a scratch and dent center and doesn't really jive with the look AA is pulling off in their branded gates, so maybe CLE is trying to upgrade CU gates cheaply.
American has their podiums in place at C9 and C11, too, which makes much more sense as they obviously need more than just the three prior mentioned gates. None of these five gates have Jetways yet (as of Wednesday evening when I walked by) so AA's move to concourse C can't be imminent.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
American has their podiums in place at C9 and C11, too, which makes much more sense as they obviously need more than just the three prior mentioned gates. None of these five gates have Jetways yet (as of Wednesday evening when I walked by) so AA's move to concourse C can't be imminent.
I'll be there in one week... I'll try and snap some photos if there's anything to be seen.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:13 pm

As of last night, AA has branded podiums installed at C3, C5, C7, C9 & C11. No jetbridges yet.

The rest (C4, 8, 10 and 14), as pictured here thanks to guy44134, are common-use, not AA-branded. However, I did notice last night that the luggage tag holders in those podiums are all stuffed with AA tags, which makes me think perhaps AA will use these common use positions temporarily as they phase the move of their jetbridges over to Concourse C (or installation of new ones)... just a guess.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by cptlflyer
As of last night, AA has branded podiums installed at C3, C5, C7, C9 & C11. No jetbridges yet.

The rest (C4, 8, 10 and 14), as pictured here thanks to guy44134, are common-use, not AA-branded. However, I did notice last night that the luggage tag holders in those podiums are all stuffed with AA tags, which makes me think perhaps AA will use these common use positions temporarily as they phase the move of their jetbridges over to Concourse C (or installation of new ones)... just a guess.
They might also have preferential use of those gates as they are not leasing any additional gates on C as opposed to B. Here are some pictures from today. I spoke with the airport director and he said the move is still on for this week, but there are still no jetways, gate podiums and furniture in several gates. But the lines have been painted at each gate. He also said AA will maintain it's ticket counter, baggage carousel and baggage service office where they are, "for now," implying a move closer to C at some point in the future.

I've also included some pics of the Bar Symon on C, new electronic signage on the ticketing level pointing out locations of airline counters as well as the new screens showing TSA wait times, and indicating that checkpoint B is TSA Pre-Check only. By the way, the security checkpoints will eventually be renamed North, Central and South to eliminate confusion between a passengers gate location and a particular security checkpoint.
Attached Images           
Old May 15, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It's kind of annoying you can't exit security checkpoint A to get back to the terminal. You have to hike down to the central checkpoint. I guess this change was made when they made A screeing area larger.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:36 am

guy 44134, how old are those chair sets? I think Capital Airlines bought the first ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.