Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA US
Allegiant is supposed to announce service to 10 cities (2 or 3 flights a week) today.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RobS
Allegiant is supposed to announce service to 10 cities (2 or 3 flights a week) today.
Austin, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach, New Orleans, Orlando (Sanford), Phoenix (Mesa), Punta Gorda, Savannah, St. Petersburg

Not bad... more than half of these are markets currently unserved. Even with less than daily flights, it will be a nice option.

This will definitely have a little effect on CAK... though since Allegiant's service is less than daily, it won't be as significant as it seems.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Link to Allegiant announcement:

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/331...veland-hopkins

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

Allegiant Air announced Wednesday that it would be adding services to the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. The airline also announced that they will have four nonstop routes to vacation destinations this winter.

Allegiant's already existing service is at the Akron-Canton Airport. The move to Hopkins represents a period of expansion for the airline.

Services moving from Akron to Cleveland include nonstop flights to Tampa Bay, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Savannah and Myrtle Beach. New services include nonstop flights to Jacksonville, Austin, New Orleans and Phoenix. Fares for some flights are as low as $39.

"Not only are we pleased to have Allegiant as our newest business partner at Cleveland Hopkins Airport, we're encouraged with the variety of destinations they are adding for our passengers," said Interim Airport Director Fred Szabo in a release. "Of the 10 markets they will be flying, we are initiating service to four new markets and adding service to six destinations. This represents a big win for northeast Ohio and our region."
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:49 am

TSA PreCheck is now available at United checkpoint C on Monday mornings. I went through Monday morning at 5:00 am and the main PreCheck at B had a full line and I'm guessing about a 15 minute wait. I went through PreCheck at C in about a minute. They had 3 ID checkers and 3 xray belts working the line. ^^
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by paule123
TSA PreCheck is now available at United checkpoint C on Monday mornings. I went through Monday morning at 5:00 am and the main PreCheck at B had a full line and I'm guessing about a 15 minute wait. I went through PreCheck at C in about a minute. They had 3 ID checkers and 3 xray belts working the line. ^^
That's good to hear. They should do this at peak times always.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plinth857
That's good to hear. They should do this at peak times always.
IIRC Weekday mornings 5-10 or 5-11 or something along those lines.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
IIRC Weekday mornings 5-10 or 5-11 or something along those lines.
Do you know if it will be any other times outside of that window? I've found it pretty annoying my last 3 trips out of CLE (usually late afternoon/early evening) when I waited longer for Pre at the B checkpoint in CLE than I have in ORD, TPA, and a few others recently. Only having one ID checker and belt running did not help. My bag was selected for screening my last trip out and from the time I entered the line to the time the bag check was complete was 28 minutes - ridiculous, IMO, for an airport of CLE's size.

10-15 minutes of that was just waiting for someone to come and check my bag because they were backed up.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Do you know if it will be any other times outside of that window? I've found it pretty annoying my last 3 trips out of CLE (usually late afternoon/early evening) when I waited longer for Pre at the B checkpoint in CLE than I have in ORD, TPA, and a few others recently. Only having one ID checker and belt running did not help. My bag was selected for screening my last trip out and from the time I entered the line to the time the bag check was complete was 28 minutes - ridiculous, IMO, for an airport of CLE's size.

10-15 minutes of that was just waiting for someone to come and check my bag because they were backed up.
When I was there Monday morning, the contract baggage check agent behind the UA counter said specifically "monday mornings" so I assume that is the only time of the week they offer the extra precheck lane.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE

Everything the airport management idiots did to CLE made the passenger experience worse -- moving TSA Pre to B only (and eliminating B as a regular screening checkpoint), making the parking shuttles stay at the limo lot... it's like they were looking for ways to intentionally screw up the passenger experience. I honestly have not found one thing they did that has any true improvement on the passenger experience -- "yay, more windows!" is about the extent of it.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Everything the airport management idiots did to CLE made the passenger experience worse -- moving TSA Pre to B only (and eliminating B as a regular screening checkpoint), making the parking shuttles stay at the limo lot... it's like they were looking for ways to intentionally screw up the passenger experience. I honestly have not found one thing they did that has any true improvement on the passenger experience -- "yay, more windows!" is about the extent of it.
I think the TSA tried to scale down their ops to reflect UA's dehubbing just as CLE O&D traffic took off. Now they are in the position of being unable to handle the booming O&D numbers.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:08 pm

Just learned that Allegiant will use common use check-in counter space near checkpoint B and gates on the A concourse "for now" (per CLE's Facebook page).
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by paule123
When I was there Monday morning, the contract baggage check agent behind the UA counter said specifically "monday mornings" so I assume that is the only time of the week they offer the extra precheck lane.
As another data point, they told me today "Monday mornings for sure, and maybe a few other days as necessary."

Sunday @ 0630 wasn't "necessary". Still PreCheck B-only today, but 2 ID checkers and both lanes running- 7 minutes start-to-end.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:40 am

It would be a little bit quicker if they had an airport employee at PreCheck B to ensure pax had it on their BP. Every time I've used it since it reopened, there's a decent number of people who have NK/F9 and non-PreCheck BPs that clog up the ID check queue.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ginoa724
It would be a little bit quicker if they had an airport employee at PreCheck B to ensure pax had it on their BP. Every time I've used it since it reopened, there's a decent number of people who have NK/F9 and non-PreCheck BPs that clog up the ID check queue.
They often do - in the last dozen times I have been through there, only one time has someone not been there to "pre-check the PreCheck" people.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
They often do - in the last dozen times I have been through there, only one time has someone not been there to "pre-check the PreCheck" people.
Strange, I don't think I've ever seen anyone gatekeeping at "B" -- though the number of people doing the "walk of shame" while a TSA agent yells out the reminder that B is precheck only/check your boarding pass for PreCheck "and if you're flying Spirit or Frontier, you're definitely in the wrong line..." has increased.

OTOH, when Pre is open at C there's always someone gatekeeping for Premier/Pre/General

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.