Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: nwa spg aa ua
Another reason why GreenDot and other prepaid cards issuers are becoming more sensitive. Excellent reporting from Brian Krebs:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/03/t...-the-scammers/
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by tpeflyer
Another reason why GreenDot and other prepaid cards issuers are becoming more sensitive. Excellent reporting from Brian Krebs:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/03/t...-the-scammers/
Thanks for sharing! Good stuff!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by facehu
Could someone help to confirm whether ACH from bank or paypal waive the monthly fee?
thanks
Yes. Withdrawing money from Paypal does waive the monthly fee. I've done this for 3 months.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Furyleader
no you're banned for life for greendot product.
Not really...
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rajnish
The very first point is wiki is very much true. Never let the cashier scan your card for loading. I went through this ordeal, i had to involve the store manager to get my money back, not to mention, the awkward questions like- why are you loading one pre-paid card from the other pre-paid card.
Which card should you not let them scan?

The load-to or the load-from?

About to start down this avenue and don't want to make a mistake on my first go.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:01 pm

Issues loading Gobank card at Walmart

Is anyone having issues loading Gobank card at Walmart via Kate? I have tried loading it with NW and US Buxx cards without any luck. I get "debit not authorized" message. I have no issue loading BB or Serve with the same cards.

Thanks.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Can you still deposit cash to GoBank cards at 7/11 and RiteAid?
Old May 3, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by takhliq1
Is anyone having issues loading Gobank card at Walmart via Kate? I have tried loading it with NW and US Buxx cards without any luck. I get "debit not authorized" message. I have no issue loading BB or Serve with the same cards.

Thanks.
Have you logged into your Gobank to see if it's still open? When I tried loading the Gobank with Kate, I get the "debit not authorized". Then, I logged into my Gobank account, and I get notice to call the 1800 numbers.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by takhliq1

Thanks.
I used my GoB card as load to yesterday via Kate with no issues; today, used at the register as my fund source and went through w/o issues as well.

from other reports I've read on GD products like this, when they have difficulty logging in to their accounts and asked to call CS, it usually means a shutdown. Hopefully, it's not the case for others here.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I used my GoB card as load to yesterday via Kate with no issues; today, used at the register as my fund source and went through w/o issues as well.

from other reports I've read on GD products like this, when they have difficulty logging in to their accounts and asked to call CS, it usually means a shutdown. Hopefully, it's not the case for others here.
Thank you for the information. My account is till open so no issues there. I will just put these back in the drawer. I was in a situation where i needed a medium to unload about 5K as BB and Serve were all exhausted. Since it is a new month now, i do not have the need for it now.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Can someone with a new (alive for a month) GB, buy a WM MC (Preferred) and start using it sparingly without risking both in the process. Are the load limits/month combined across the two cards? Does anyone have experience with both going good for a while?
Old May 14, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Can someone with a new (alive for a month) GB, buy a WM MC (Preferred) and start using it sparingly without risking both in the process. Are the load limits/month combined across the two cards? Does anyone have experience with both going good for a while?
No, don't do it. WM MC Preferred is much more prone to shutdowns. There isn't really a "safe" limit like with GB.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
I had GoBank first and opened much WMP later but the latter was shutdown unceremoniously without warning in just 3 months. I suspect they tied up both since they're both GD products. I still have my GoBank open for over a year now.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:17 pm

The wiki mentions that loading when you don't have a $0 balance seems to be bad. Can I load a few times in a single day and then bill pay, or should I load, then billpay, then load again? I haven't used my GoBank card in years.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
The wiki mentions that loading when you don't have a $0 balance seems to be bad. Can I load a few times in a single day and then bill pay, or should I load, then billpay, then load again? I haven't used my GoBank card in years.
You should be fine doing them basically back to back. In fact, I am at WM right now enjoying a Subway sandwich after having loaded $3k over two sessions 15 minutes apart at Kate. BP is already scheduled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.