Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by totti
While I understand you anger in this particular case, the "small laptop bag" rule was always a problem because no one knows what "small" actually means. I have seen persons carrying their 17" Tumi Expandable Organizer briefcase as a second or third piece of carry-on and claiming it is a small laptop briefcase

BTW it can be improved comfort if you are the one wait for the guy in front of you who booked a Y tix and tries to stuff his 2 carry-ons in the C overhead and starts arguing with the FAs because he cannot find sufficient space Hence, I am absolutely fine with enforcing the rule.
Cabin baggage rules should be enforced and thts clear when we see what all the things folks carry..
BUT then the allowance should be reasonable.. as stated earlier, LH's cabin baggage allowance is even lesser than what Ryan Air allows for 1 bag with the same dimensions !!..
What about the loads of stuff pax buy at DF ?? Is it included in this 1 bag (plus 1 laptop etc) policy ?? Will pax who carry a cabin bag meeting the rules but have 3 more DF bags be allowed in the cabin ?? Doesnt those take space ?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
Even in the past it is clearly mentioned on the LH boarding passes in Economy 'max 1 Handgepäck/ Handluggage', regardless which status you have.

Was and is one the subjects, where status helps nothing

taigatrommel
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I understand where Lufthansa is coming from and what problem they are trying to solve. However, there have been many reports (here and elsewhere) of LH *only* enforcing the weight-limitation but not looking at size or count of carryon items.

I fail to see why LH is making such a fuss about the weight of a carryon that is legal size. It's going to take up the same amount of space whether it's filled with feathers or bars of lead. I read elsewhere that they're trying to sell it as an improvement that will increase passenger comfort on board, but I wonder how I am supposed to be more comfortable knowing that no piece of luggage in the overhead bins is heavier than 8 kilograms vs knowing there's a few that are lighter and a few that are heaviner than 8 kilograms.

Don't get me wrong, I totally see why they would reject carryons that are grossly overweight (safety), but if a carryon manages to fall out of the bin and hits my head I don't think I care very much whether it weighs 8 kilograms or 10, quite frankly. It's going to hurt one way or another.

And once again, I am absolutely in favour of rejecting passengers that have more than 1 carryon or carryons that exceed the size requirements.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I´d agree that one carry-on bag/rollaboard and 1 personal item (as in a laptop bag only containing the laptop) would be reasonable.

I´m also fine with enforcing the size restrictions of the carry-on baggage, but the 8kg limit is ridiculous, especially if the laptop doesn´t count as a "personal item".

What really bugs me is:

- that LH doesn´t offer priority boarding on intra-European flights and thus C pax and status pax have to fear to not find any space for their carry-on
- that these third-party "service agents" enforcing the limits are likely to be a real pain
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´d agree that one carry-on bag/rollaboard and 1 personal item (as in a laptop bag only containing the laptop) would be reasonable.

I´m also fine with enforcing the size restrictions of the carry-on baggage, but the 8kg limit is ridiculous, especially if the laptop doesn´t count as a "personal item".

What really bugs me is:

- that LH doesn´t offer priority boarding on intra-European flights and thus C pax and status pax have to fear to not find any space for their carry-on
- that these third-party "service agents" enforcing the limits are likely to be a real pain
According to this (see "Additional items which are allowed in the cabin" at the end of the page), a laptop bag in addition is okay:

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Carry-on-baggage

I am also very worried about those third-party agents. I avoid connecting through ZRH because of their rudiculous rules (they do not check - anything with wheels is oversize). Let us wait for recent experience of fellow travellers how LH will implement and enforce this.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Cabin baggage rules should be enforced and thts clear when we see what all the things folks carry..
+1 to that. I don't know if it's just my experience, but the last couple of months have been worst ever. It's literally a fight to get onboard fast enough to be able to stow your stuff. I didn't notice it being that bad previous winters...

BUT then the allowance should be reasonable.. as stated earlier, LH's cabin baggage allowance is even lesser than what Ryan Air allows for 1 bag with the same dimensions !!..
Maybe that's the root cause of the problem: By charging for checked-in baggage, no-frills airlines have taught passengers to cram as much as they can in anything they take in the cabin :/

What about the loads of stuff pax buy at DF ?? Is it included in this 1 bag (plus 1 laptop etc) policy ?? Will pax who carry a cabin bag meeting the rules but have 3 more DF bags be allowed in the cabin ?? Doesnt those take space ?
If you ask me - if you can pack it in your cabin bag, it goes in. If you don't have anything other than your cabin bag, your one DF bag can go in. Else, no.

The problem is that not only people bring in WAY more than they are entitled to, but also they never ever want to be bothered to put some of that stuff under the seat in front of them. And more often than not (probably a technique learnt at Ryan too), they would drop their stuff in a bin which is entirely unrelated to where they're sitting, but closer to the exit (and usually it will be a bin above *my* seat, as per my recent experiences ) This sort of behavior I first started seeing en masse this winter...

A cabin-size bag + DF wouldn't be a problem, if they'd put DF under their feet...

BTW, regarding DF: If I plan to do any airport shopping, I pack in a way to leave room in my bag for the stuff I plan to buy. It's bad enough hauling a trolley around, without a bunch of extra DF bags, and it also makes me compliant and a good plane neighbour. But again, that's just me... :/
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dakr
I am also very worried about those third-party agents.
Why are you worried about them? There is always a Flight Manager working that flight who will set those third party agents straight when you are within your contractual limit. In fact, I would probably flatly refuse even to talk to them at all when they approach me in the gate area (something I have heard they do even before checkin starts).

That said, since my last experience with the "Baggage excellence" agenda where a purser tried to take my bag from me (but finally had to accept that the rules allowed my Laptop bag as a second item) I am in DEFCON1 mode. Since then, however, nobody tried to nab my bags anymore...;-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia
Consistent and reasonable hand luggage rules are a good idea, but the 8kg rule is not helpful. A packed 55x40x20 (or so) trolley will almost certainly weigh more than this. LH/LX have tried to enforce the 8kg limit only a few times in the past on my longhaul trips in C, but sometimes they do. I find BA's weight rule "you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead locker unaided" much more reasonable. At least 50% of my long haul trips are currently with BA, mostly because of the flat beds, but the clearer hand luggage rules are clearly a bonus.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

I don't know if BA has armoured latches, but LH's overhead bin latches are clearly labelled and indicate they can take between 20 to 32 KG (depending on size and make) So if you stuff 3-4 bags in there the limit is reached. Maybe some of the BA regulars can 'weigh' in an let us know what the A32S bins can take.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I have some sympathy with what LH is trying to achieve, but it seems to me they are going about this the wrong way.
1) Why the 8 kg limit? Size should be the determining factor and it should be up to the pax to lift it into the bins. If they can't lift it up, offload it and gate check it.
2) Enforce strictly the size limitations on Y pax and require that Y pax bags are stored in the Y section, not in C.
3) In C there is usually plenty of space (unless it has been hogged by Y pax), so let C pax bring on 1+1 (and they can use the space under the seat in the middle)
4) Agree class of travel is important here, not status. Space is at a premium in Y, so tough, no privileges
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

1) If they passenger puts a block of lead the size of 55x40x20cm in the overhead and it falls on the aisle seat passenger snapping his/her head when the bin gives, LH has a problem, not the passenger who put the luggage up there. Hence the weight restriction.
2) Usually Y pax store their stuff in Y. I'm yet to see the usual practice common in the US that people (especially elite boarding early) dump their stuff in the bin in front and then move back
3) C gets two pieces, see post#1
4) agree
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
2) Usually Y pax store their stuff in Y. I'm yet to see the usual practice common in the US that people (especially elite boarding early) dump their stuff in the bin in front and then move back
As I mentioned, I see this more and more frequently on my intra-european flights
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:18 am
Original Poster

For sake of the 'LH is cr@p I'll fly others instead' argument

Interesting terms on the BA website: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...n/public/en_gb
The main bag is dimensioned slightly bigger than LH (maybe the overhead bins in A32S are from a different supplier) and a note that the laptop/handbag must go under the seat in front of you.

AB: one piece same size, same weight http://www.airberlin.com/site/flug_g...eu#handgepaeck

AF: similar dimensions, weight incl the small undefined bag http://www.airfrance.de/DE/en/common..._airfrance.htm

KL: similar to AF http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prep...gage/index.htm

The 'best best best' SQ is 7 KG: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...v=-1300065563&

The cool EK is between BA and SQ: http://www.emirates.com/de/english/p...age_rules.aspx

The american carriers seem to be of comparable size:
UA has the same dimensions, no mention of weight: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1032,00.html

AA has the same size as LH, no weight mention, laptop bag has to go under the seat: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...false&from=Nav

DL: same dimensions, carryon costs if checked at gate: http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ryon/index.jsp
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
For sake of the 'LH is cr@p I'll fly others instead' argument
As some others have noted, the issue is more with how the rules are enforced, rather than the rules themselves.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I don't know if BA has armoured latches, but LH's overhead bin latches are clearly labelled and indicate they can take between 20 to 32 KG (depending on size and make) So if you stuff 3-4 bags in there the limit is reached. Maybe some of the BA regulars can 'weigh' in an let us know what the A32S bins can take.
BA has similar weight restrictions for their overhead bins.

I guess for most people here the weight will be the issue, not the size. If they'd be a bit more generous there I would be happy with the enforcement of the rules. But if they really insist on 8kg things will become difficult for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.