http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...faqs-more.html
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Welcome to Flyertalk! Say Hello here.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:36 pm

Welcome, Lance !
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:57 am

New guy...
Bicyclist, gamer, government drone, dad, standard stuff. ORF - Virginia Beach/Norfolk.

Been lurking for a week or so as a guest - joining is the way to go. So, here I am. Wrapping my head around this - over the years of work-related travel I've not always joined the airline programs, and my single rewards CC has been through my credit union. Looks like I'm long overdue for consolidation, more deliberate planning, and strategic award management. So, I'm here to learn.

Have run across a few items I cannot find in the glossary - FFN and BWB - both in a Hyatt rewards discussion.

If you're ever transiting ORF, shout out, we'll do a hot beverage.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:23 am

Hi, I am MrTemporal, a time traveler from another galaxy.

Actually, I am a newly retired fellow who has managed to squirrel away enough $$'s to retire a bit early and enjoy life a bit more. My main goal in retiring early was to travel more. Oh, my BS bucket at work was also filled up. Earlier this year, on a trip with a family member I was shocked, SHOCKED! at how much I paid for airfare compared to many others. A neighbor asked me with horror on her face "Don't you use miles?" Obviously, I did not know what I was doing.

So, I spend part of my new leisure time figuring out how to travel more cheaply and, maybe more comfortably, by reading resources such as FlyerTalk.

I am not a high mileage business traveler, just a retired guy who flies consistently both domestically and internationally.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:08 am

Hello everyone!

Recent college grad who took his first business-class flight on La Compagnie and is hooked to the idea of maximizing points and travel on your terms. i have been a dedicated reader of One Mile at a Time and The Points Guy who post tons of awesome and up-to-date articles. From what I have seen so far in my couple of weeks reading have been down-to-earth non-elitist people looking to have an awesome time and meet new people. Cant wait to join the ranks of this forum, and pleasure to be able to meet you all!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Greetings!

My name's Anastasia, and I'm currently a graduate student studying literature. I've always been a miles and points kind of person - I was filling out e-rewards surveys as a teenager to pay for college textbooks, and got a credit card to get points and pay for those same textbooks a few years later. I also signed up for pretty much every frequent flyer program out there "just in case" when I was around 15. But it's only recently that I discovered, through the Rolling Stone feature on Lucky (yeah, I know, that's how I found out), that I could be getting even more out of my penchant for getting miles and points out of everything I do. I travel a lot for academic things (conferences, conventions, etc...), which is my way of cashing in on travel my university reimburses me and then using those miles and points to travel to more conventions and conferences. I've been flying since I was really young due to my family relocating to the U.S., and it's really exciting to find a group of people who are equally (or more!) passionate about it (does anyone around here memorize airport codes for fun?)
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
My name's Anastasia, and I'm currently a graduate student studying literature.
Welcome to FT.
So you are not a doctor and your name is not Rodney
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Welcome to FT.
So you are not a doctor and your name is not Rodney
I'm currently working towards my phD (already have a master's) so one day I will technically be a Dr. But no, my name is not Rodney Mckay, he's simply a fictional character to whom I have a *very* uncanny resemblance (seriously, it's uncanny).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: American, Hilton, Marriott
Hello to all.

I'm a former DJ, middle managing jack of all trades. Between work, tech, cooking and dodging cars and unleashed dog while running the streets of Nashville, TN, I like to snag a quick trip at a great price.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Another new guy here. Global business traveler - on the road more than half of the year. Not really loyal to any alliance due to company policy but will reach OW Emerald (AY+ Plat) soon, starting from no level at all (pretty good without a single business class flight, eh? ). Single - in love with Singapore.

Travel blog in Finnish at http://unsub.fi/blog/. Been too lazy to write it lately tho..
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I'm currently working towards my phD (already have a master's) so one day I will technically be a Dr. But no, my name is not Rodney Mckay, he's simply a fictional character to whom I have a *very* uncanny resemblance (seriously, it's uncanny).
Including your reaction to oranges?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, United MileagePlus
Greetings all,

I've been breaking my brain reading this site for a few days now. Increasing my efficiency with airline rewards seems to be something I'm going to enjoy getting better at.

I'm London-based and I work offshore. I get flown to and from vessels around the world roughly every 5-6 weeks. I rarely (<2% of the time) get business class, but I do usually get to specify my preferred mileage program.

Depending on where my jobs are in a given year, I think I should have no problem getting to Silver purely on the job alone, and one recreational tier point run/vacation per year should mean I could get to and hold gold, based on what I'm reading here.

I'm BAEC bronze right now - whoopee Actually I was thrilled as it's the first "status" I've had in years (lived really close to a several-year job).

I suppose I timed joining here almost right because my mileage year starts fresh in early September, so it's time to get my war face on

I'm dicking around with ITX Matrix today, but can't figure out yet how you guys manage to cram the extra cities in to make a tier point run out of where you might want to go.

Anyways, great site and really looking forward to learning the game.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:54 am

Hello everyone,

found out about FT a couple of weeks ago (kind of wishing I had found it years ago though)

I'm from Serbia and, like you all, I love flying

Ok, now off to continue reading this flying bible you have created here

Cheers
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, AAdvantage
Smile Hello from Houston

Newbie here... hello to all the experts and other newbies out there. I call Houston home so United Star Alliance is my first choice in most flying related activities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.